El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by ElToro »

I'd say pass and get one of the new GC Gibson 50's Tribute Studio LPs going for $849. I ordered a GoldTop, but they have other colors.
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

He's played the DC in question and it plays like a dream. It's more guitar than the new Studios are even on paper, and Gibson QC is a crapshoot.

And didn't you post very recently that the Gibson factory was out of product due to the flood? So when will these new Studios even be available, and has anyone played one to attest that they are decent guitars?

Just saying.... a bird in the hand is worth a POS in the bush, especially with Gibson.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

You have a point there. They were supposed to already be delivered and now it's a "pre-order" thing.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Well, I get GAS looking at the new Studios, no doubt... then I think about sitting down and playing 20 of them to find a sweet one and I lose a little excitement.

I craved a Les Paul so bad when I was a kid, and when I got mine I loved it, but I've been a Superstrat guy since the mid-80s and that colors my view.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

exitflagger wrote: Image
I'd go for this instead:

Well, I actually own one already, so I'm a little biased. I have a few different PRS guitars, and this is one of my favorites. It's one of the cheapest models they make, but it's got an awesome rock sound, and the body/neck is super comfortable. You should really check one out.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Fugly pickguard on that thing, that can't be taken off.... but if you dig it, power to you!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

lerxstcat wrote:He's played the DC in question and it plays like a dream. It's more guitar than the new Studios are even on paper, and Gibson QC is a crapshoot.

And didn't you post very recently that the Gibson factory was out of product due to the flood? So when will these new Studios even be available, and has anyone played one to attest that they are decent guitars?

Just saying.... a bird in the hand is worth a POS in the bush, especially with Gibson.
Gibson just cancelled delivery of the Tributes citing "paint issues." I think the rumors are true.
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

Space Bear wrote:You should really check one out.
Thanks for the suggestion but I REALLY hate PRS guitars.

I can't even give a good reason why. I just do.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

exitflagger wrote:

I'm right there with ya. I think it's because:

a. Nothing of worth has ever been played on one.
b. Have you fucking seen Paul Reed Smith? What a douche.
c. They are overpriced, overhyped and soooo fucking tacky! Bird inlays? Blue/green/red finishes with ghettotasic woods? Gold hardware? Check!
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

ElToro wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:He's played the DC in question and it plays like a dream. It's more guitar than the new Studios are even on paper, and Gibson QC is a crapshoot.

Gibson just cancelled delivery of the Tributes citing "paint issues." I think the rumors are true.
Sorry to hear that, I know you were wanting one. They did look pretty sweet too...
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Anyone get anything fun?
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

I picked up a Boss ME-33 off of CL with lerxstcats' help. Played it for about an hour total and it has been sitting for over a week. I guess should read the manual and figure the damn thing out. And thanks again lerxstcat. :wink:
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I ordered a MicroFlanger for nostalgia's sake. I'm supposedly trading for an Axis body and neck tomorrow.
Mattfig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Mattfig »

I almost have my dream rig assembled and operational...It's basically a completely modded Randall/Egnater MTS system complete with 12 professionally modified modules covering every tone from Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Randall, Vox, Soldano and everything else in between....It's amazing so far....I'll post pics when it's all together...Oh yeah, I just added a Randall 412 cab with MTS-voiced Celestion Neodymium speakers....They sound amazing...So worth the extra coin...
The Best Kemper Profiles - http://www.mattfig.com
The Best Tube Amp Gear - http://www.motorcitymods.com
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Mattfig wrote:I almost have my dream rig assembled and operational...It's basically a completely modded Randall/Egnater MTS system complete with 12 professionally modified modules covering every tone from Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Randall, Vox, Soldano and everything else in between....It's amazing so far....I'll post pics when it's all together...Oh yeah, I just added a Randall 412 cab with MTS-voiced Celestion Neodymium speakers....They sound amazing...So worth the extra coin...
Jesus!

...I...um...

I bought some foam. I'm gonna try some mitchell donuts....it was about $10

Thanks for killing my big news, dude :(

http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar- ... ifier-Bea/

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

BIG RIG!
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

cowpins wrote:I picked up a Boss ME-33 off of CL with lerxstcats' help. Played it for about an hour total and it has been sitting for over a week. I guess should read the manual and figure the damn thing out. And thanks again lerxstcat. :wink:
So have you cracked the manual open yet? We're waiting...
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
olivier
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Post by olivier »

bought a VOX AC 15
class all the way !! what a sound ! :shock:
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Space Bear wrote:
cowpins wrote:I picked up a Boss ME-33 off of CL with lerxstcats' help. Played it for about an hour total and it has been sitting for over a week. I guess should read the manual and figure the damn thing out. And thanks again lerxstcat. :wink:
So have you cracked the manual open yet? We're waiting...

I printed it out and put it on my table and it's been sitting since. I DID play around a little last night though, but didn't check out the manual. The good news though it that I've been living here for over three years and I assure you that my neighbors are now well aware that I play guitar. It's nice to be playing again. 8)
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Mattfig

Post by Mattfig »

Sleek wrote:
Mattfig wrote:I almost have my dream rig assembled and operational...It's basically a completely modded Randall/Egnater MTS system complete with 12 professionally modified modules covering every tone from Fender, Mesa, Marshall, Randall, Vox, Soldano and everything else in between....It's amazing so far....I'll post pics when it's all together...Oh yeah, I just added a Randall 412 cab with MTS-voiced Celestion Neodymium speakers....They sound amazing...So worth the extra coin...
Jesus!

...I...um...

I bought some foam. I'm gonna try some mitchell donuts....it was about $10

Thanks for killing my big news, dude :(

http://www.instructables.com/id/Guitar- ... ifier-Bea/
Sorry! Couldn't help it...I'm the guy who has always had cheap amps that I've modified repeatedly to get the tone I couldn't afford...While I still have my Crate Blue Voodoo and Bugera 333xl, the Randall/Egnater just smokes them both...I figured I'd find the best and most versatile setup I could and wait 'til I could buy it - after selling off a ton of gear and breaking the bank - I have it! I really can't think of a better amp setup...I can switch between 12 incredible tube preamps as well as switch between 6L6 or EL34 power tubes with the press of a button...Crazy!
Last edited by Mattfig on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I'm still waiting on my two Rist guitars. Bummer, but I did get a Destroyer body so I can finish that project.
Liquid Boom Boom

Post by Liquid Boom Boom »

I ran into a guy I used to know at one of his shows 2 weeks ago and we got to talking about guitars...I asked him about the tele he played and it sounded fucking amazing...unlike any tele I'd ever heard. He said "Warmoth BRO! Best shit ever...."

So, I ordered my first Warmoth guitar project a couple of days later. Should be here in 8-12 weeks....I cannot wait to get this thing started. Here's the specs:

Warmoth V body, top routed, painted Lake Placid blue, 2 humbucker, contoured heel, black korina...

the neck: Warmoth V neck, headstock painted to match the body, vintage tint gloss on the back of the neck, wolfgang profile, Stainless Steele frets(jumbo), brazillian rosewood fingerboard, 22 frets.

Probably going to put the new EVH Frankenstein pup in there, maybe a SD '59 in the neck...still up in the air about the pups.

Going to have a white pickguard or a mirrored one...can't decide.

i'm working with a local luthier to do some photography work for his website and he said he'd put my stuff together as payment. Works for me! I'm already thinking about project #2! I'll have photos once this beast is completed. I can't believe I've never gone the Warmoth route before.
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote:
exitflagger wrote:

I'm right there with ya. I think it's because:

a. Nothing of worth has ever been played on one.
b. Have you fucking seen Paul Reed Smith? What a douche.
c. They are overpriced, overhyped and soooo fucking tacky! Bird inlays? Blue/green/red finishes with ghettotasic woods? Gold hardware? Check!
All of that does play a part; we used to call them "douchebag guitars" when they first came out and nobody ever questioned what kind of guitar we were talking about.

I fiddled with one at GC the other day and remembered the tangible stuff. I don't like the weight distribution and the positioning of the fretboard. It's just uncomfortable and awkward to me. They've always had kind of cheapish, cold-feeling action too. Feels like you could get used to it but I have no incentive to do so. I'd rather have a guitar that looks and feels great right off the bat. I guess I can't really fault the way they sound, but that's not unusually spectacular either.

I really don't get the appeal. They're apparently very popular.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Sadly, PRS tends to lack mojo. Part of it is the plastic finish and the CNC manufacturing. There are some cool ones and many beautiful ones, but the rare road worn Gibson always kills it.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

PRS guitars have snob appeal, that's the main thing about them. They do have better QC than Gibson, I'll give them that. But the stupid neck joint is unforgivable in what's supposed to be a boutique high performance guitar.

If a guitar has 24 frets, they should be accessible. On a PRS they aren't. That's fucking stupid in a high-dollar guitar.

I'd rather have a $400 ibanez RG than a PRS, just because it's more functional and less pretentious. Though I DON'T play Ibanez, I favor Jacksons and Yamahas. And I can reach the 24th fret no problem on them.
Mattfig

Post by Mattfig »

Here's my final MTS setup...The greatest amp ever.

First, the rack of doom!

Next the stack...Ampeg 412 with Celestion V30s on top...Randall R412NXT with Celestion Neodymiums on the bottom...Those are also Sennheiser E906 mics with cab grabbers on the bottom 412 for recording...That way I don't have to move the mics once I'm rolling.... :) Those combined with the mic eliminator function are awesome!

One more...
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Mattfig wrote: First, the rack of doom!
I am so scared right now... :shock:

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I now realize my penis is very, very small.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

When you get done landing airplanes with it, I'll bet that rack makes a smokin' guitar tone. :lol:

On the PRS subject, I should mention my main guitars are their old EG model, made in '90-'91:

As you can see it has the original small heel. Even if you don't like the regular PRS guitars, you should track one down and try it. The body even feels better against your tummy. This model was supposed to be their "Strat killer" which was cheaper than the rest of the line. Problem was, they were costing the company as much as the other bolt-ons they were building. Out of all the PRS models over the company's history, I love these with a passion. I currently own six, and am always keeping an eye out for more. My first PRS was my original EG back in '91, it's still my main player to this day. I guess that puts me in the "they made 'em better back in the day" group.
demolition23
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by demolition23 »

I bought 8 picks the other day.
Moggio wrote:You see, the problem with you is that you act like I have no credibility or something.
PhoenixFlames wrote:AVATAR made 2.7 billion which (maths) is close to 3 x million millions!!!!!!