What are Maidens attendance numbers in America so far?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Re: What are Maidens attendance numbers in America so far?

Postby LillianRoxyFA » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm

gtshark1 wrote:
LillianRoxyFA wrote:Going tonight in St. Paul Minny. Will report later.

One Sludger said it sold out in minutes, yet there were emails sent out yesterday saying tickets still available. They haven't done an arena show in the Twin Cities in ages. My guess is that it will be 90% full at least. Ghost has a strong following here too. Should be a fun show.

Welllllllll.....

Friday's show in St. Paul was sold out and the place was at 95% capacity from what I could see. Ghost killed it as the openers.

Kudos to Nicko McBrain for actually throwing drum sticks. Not this lob into crowd to avoid injury stuff.

I was glad not to be on Janick's side of the stage. Holy showboat.

The set list was a slog to get through. Actually overheard in bathroom:

Man 1 peeing while song is finishing: "Man, now they are going to play something I know while I am pissing"
Man 2: Nope, they play "Book of Souls" next
Man 1 disappointed: Oh

Not sure how Bruce does it. Running around and his voice holds up. Incredible showman.

Glad to have finally seen them. Probably don't need to again unless they do a greatest hits tour.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
TenBenny
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Postby TenBenny » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:26 pm

LillianRoxyFA wrote:Friday's show in St. Paul was sold out and the place was at 95% capacity from what I could see. Ghost killed it as the openers.

Kudos to Nicko McBrain for actually throwing drum sticks. Not this lob into crowd to avoid injury stuff.

Man 1 peeing while song is finishing: "Man, now they are going to play something I know while I am pissing"

Not sure how Bruce does it. Running around and his voice holds up. Incredible showman.

Glad to have finally seen them. Probably don't need to again unless they do a greatest hits tour.

No, I think at this stage of things, the Maiden experience isn't going to change much. You've got the right idea. But please, do tell of The Janick. How bad did it get?
KevinFL
Playing in a Garage

Postby KevinFL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:40 pm

TenBenny wrote:
No, I think at this stage of things, the Maiden experience isn't going to change much. You've got the right idea. But please, do tell of The Janick. How bad did it get?

The guy is a clown, plain and simple. His new thing is kicking the amp on his side of the stage. Then there is the 'stand there with the leg extended in the air against the little wall thing on his side' move. Combining visuals and audio, I would wager that his guitar was turned off on most everything except Fear of the Dark.

My go to move? Arrange myself so that the head of the person in front of me is blocking the right side of the stage. Then I don't see or hear him.
:D
KevinFL
Playing in a Garage

Postby KevinFL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:46 pm

I can't get the picture alone to come up, but here's a link.

http://springsadvertiser.co.za/136652/i ... ival-city/
risingfarce
Headlining Clubs

Postby risingfarce » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 pm

KevinFL wrote:
TenBenny wrote:

The guy is a clown, plain and simple. His new thing is kicking the amp on his side of the stage. Then there is the 'stand there with the leg extended in the air against the little wall thing on his side' move. Combining visuals and audio, I would wager that his guitar was turned off on most everything except Fear of the Dark.

My go to move? Arrange myself so that the head of the person in front of me is blocking the right side of the stage. Then I don't see or hear him.

RE: the prancer kicking his side stage amp

This is nothing new. It's part of his schtick. Although, I was at a show where he was doing this, but his amp was actually fucked up. I was
unfortunately on his side of the stage in the third row and could hear his amp crackling.
TenBenny

Postby TenBenny » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 pm

KevinFL wrote:
TenBenny wrote:

Ha!

27 years. 27 years he's been in the band. It's amazing to me that the band, including the meticulously fussy Steve Harris, let it go on the whole time. But interestingly enough, Adrian actually addressed it with Eddie Trunk at one point. Trunk actually told Adrian he didn't like Janick's moves, but Adrian sort of addressed it diplomatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqttrJushko

It's funny... people have made Janick compilations on YouTube. I wonder what a band would look like with Janick and Zoltan Chaney? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-4P11G2Kh8
Tymaster

Postby Tymaster » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 am

davis666 wrote:They've been playing the shit out of radio spots advertising the OKC show here in Tulsa (1.5 hours away), show must not be selling dick.

The were here in Tulsa last Feb.... way too soon to be coming back through Oklahoma.

Weird too in that these guys are almost meticulous in their strategy of booking 2-5 shows in cities they've either never been to or haven't been since 1988/1990 or so. For a city like Tulsa to get double booked and a place like Columbus, OH to have not gotten a Maiden show since 2005 or Cincinnati which hasn't had Maiden since 1990 (not counting the Blaze tours) is just odd.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.

LillianRoxyFA
Headlining Clubs

Postby LillianRoxyFA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:25 am

TenBenny wrote:
LillianRoxyFA wrote:Friday's show in St. Paul was sold out and the place was at 95% capacity from what I could see. Ghost killed it as the openers.

It's well documented above. Let's just say Janick makes Juan Croucier look like Maynard from Tool.
It's hard for me to get used to these changing times. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.

-- George Burns
scruffman
Headlining Clubs

Postby scruffman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 pm

I thought it was 16 to 17 thousand people in Charlotte.?
But in years past same venues it was the same crowd sizes..
Charlotte, Atlanta, Pittsburgh
My love, it grows for you
touch it, lick it,

shake it
it spit's for you too!!!!!
Luminiferous
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Postby Luminiferous » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:17 pm

They fly in here in a couple of weeks... Actually doing a free meet and greet at a pub across the street from the venue from 1pm-6pm...

Don't know many bands these days of Maiden's level doing free meet and greets and autograph sessions for the fans..
Spicoli'sTV
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Postby Spicoli'sTV » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:05 am

OKC was pretty packed last night. Can't wait for Friday in Dallas. One of the best Maiden shows I've ever seen.
Artemis2085
Platinum Artist

Postby Artemis2085 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:03 am

Tymaster wrote:
davis666 wrote:They've been playing the shit out of radio spots advertising the OKC show here in Tulsa (1.5 hours away), show must not be selling dick.

The were here in Tulsa last Feb.... way too soon to be coming back through Oklahoma.

Weird too in that these guys are almost meticulous in their strategy of booking 2-5 shows in cities they've either never been to or haven't been since 1988/1990 or so. For a city like Tulsa to get double booked and a place like Columbus, OH to have not gotten a Maiden show since 2005 or Cincinnati which hasn't had Maiden since 1990 (not counting the Blaze tours) is just odd.

I thought they played either Riverbend or Polaris on Ozzfest? Or are you talking about a proper headlining show?
Professional Hater

Aesop wrote:I tire of pussies that refuse to speak their mind, defend this great nation, or seek employment.
Tymaster

Postby Tymaster » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:36 am

Artemis2085 wrote:
Tymaster wrote:

I thought they played either Riverbend or Polaris on Ozzfest? Or are you talking about a proper headlining show?

Ozzfest 2005 was at Polaris, yes. Riverbend, no. Don't think Maiden have ever played Riverbend. They played the Riverfront Coliseum with Anthrax in 1990. Riverbend has never really been a big metal venue. They had Pantera in 1997 but never invited them back. They had the first few Ozzfests but I think after '99 that was it. They had Rockstar Monster Mayhem once or twice but they didn't have any of the last 3 years. Really pissed me off as the one year it was Slayer, Motorhead, and Anthrax and thought would've been a solid afternoon at an ampitheatre.
LouDoo wrote:Neon has to be the most active poster who actually contributes the least, despite all the threads he starts. He has no redeeming value. He's completely useless.

Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Postby Bob Sacamano » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 am

Luminiferous wrote:They fly in here in a couple of weeks... Actually doing a free meet and greet at a pub across the street from the venue from 1pm-6pm...

Don't know many bands these days of Maiden's level doing free meet and greets and autograph sessions for the fans..

I think you are going to be disappointed.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Luminiferous

Postby Luminiferous » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Luminiferous wrote:They fly in here in a couple of weeks... Actually doing a free meet and greet at a pub across the street from the venue from 1pm-6pm...

I've only heard from people who went to the last one they had when they came through and said it was pretty cool..

Guess it depends on how many people take a weekday afternoon off to attend.. Have you experienced an IM pre-show meet and greet?
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Postby Bob Sacamano » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Luminiferous wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:

I've only heard from people who went to the last one they had when they came through and said it was pretty cool..

Guess it depends on how many people take a weekday afternoon off to attend.. Have you experienced an IM pre-show meet and greet?

I have been to several preshow meet and greets. The only time the band ever showed up to one was in New York City in 2004.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Luminiferous

Postby Luminiferous » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Luminiferous wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:

I have been to several preshow meet and greets. The only time the band ever showed up to one was in New York City in 2004.

That sucks man... I just re-read the advertisement they put out last week, this is a Iron Maiden FANS meet before the show..

Guess the way they advertised it people thought it was the band's and they got a shitload of people pissed at them.. :lol: They've since re-edited it to add it's a fan meet up..
Tymaster

Postby Tymaster » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 am

What are the chances of the Fear of the Dark Tour being recreated in US for a proper length tour next year or the year after!?

eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Postby eddie lee roth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:44 am

Spicoli'sTV wrote:OKC was pretty packed last night. Can't wait for Friday in Dallas. One of the best Maiden shows I've ever seen.

Pretty packed? They only had the lower and second levels open and there were still some empty seats not much but still some empty seats. Both bands were good but the sound man needs to be fired asap.

I couldn't help but think going by the crowd size that it had been 30 years since they played the OKC metro area and if you want to get technical 32 years since they played OKC proper that I was watching the last time they'll come through here.

Still had a good time and going off of the songs they played from the new one I actually liked those surprisingly to me. I had given up buying any new music after the AMOLAD album. I guess I was wrong on that part.

I've been a long time fan who had caught the Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time tours back in the day and watching them Monday night I couldn't help but think that outside of some wanna be ballerina with a guitar I was seeing all of the same guys again and I thought that was pretty cool in this day and age.

And it's true they have some die-hard fans. Bruce mentioned that out in the audience there were fans from Russia, Honduras and Canada. That's pretty impressive to me I'd be damned if I'd travel that far to see them.
Judge Smails
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Postby Judge Smails » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Boxscores for first five US gigs are in:

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Jiffy Lube Live
Bristow, Va.
June 3, 2017
$1,022,485
17,610 /
1 / 0

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Wells Fargo Center
Philadelphia, Pa.
June 4, 2017
$1,193,673
13,895 /
1 / 1

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Prudential Center
Newark, N.J.
June 7, 2017
$964,148
11,450 /
1 / 1

Iron Maiden, Ghost
PNC Music Pavilion
Charlotte, N.C.
June 9, 2017
$721,422
15,548 /
1 / 0

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Amalie Arena
Tampa, Fla.
June 11, 2017
$988,221
12,781 /
1 / 1
"You'll get nothing and like it"
DemonFilth2001
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Postby DemonFilth2001 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Judge Smails wrote:Boxscores for first five US gigs are in:

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Jiffy Lube Live
Bristow, Va.
June 3, 2017
$1,022,485
17,610 /
1 / 0

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Wells Fargo Center
Philadelphia, Pa.
June 4, 2017
$1,193,673
13,895 /
1 / 1

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Prudential Center
Newark, N.J.
June 7, 2017
$964,148
11,450 /
1 / 1

Iron Maiden, Ghost
PNC Music Pavilion
Charlotte, N.C.
June 9, 2017
$721,422
15,548 /
1 / 0

Iron Maiden, Ghost
Amalie Arena
Tampa, Fla.
June 11, 2017
$988,221
12,781 /
1 / 1

Pretty damn solid! 3 sellouts. The two that didn't would have been if they were in the other 3 venues. 15k and 17k....even though not sold out, is pretty f'n good.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
EzyRider
Headlining Clubs

Postby EzyRider » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm

I have a totally open day Saturday for Glen Helen appearance ... so I got kinda excited and looked into going. Multiple reports are even with VIP parking it takes 3 hours to leave. That sounds miserable! Maybe if I was a bigger Ghost fan ..but even then a weak maybe at best. 3 hours? fuck that!

place gets 2/5 stars with over 200 people ...
https://www.yelp.com/biz/san-manuel-amphitheater-san-bernardino-2

sample review (a lot like this from Tool show a few days ago)
Concert was great! But damn, we paid $20 for "VIP" parking and there was nothing VIP about it. Yeah we were close when we got there but at the end of the concert we spent 3 hours, let me repeat, 3 hours waiting before we moved even 1 inch.. not kidding. So ridiculous! No reason for this. No reason we didn't move an inch. Made no sense. And received no answers. I can't stress my disappointment enough about having to sit there for 3 hours. We went from ending our night on a b!tchen note listening to a b!tchen band to just being absolutely pissed off and angry when we finally got out of the brutal, disrespectful, parking situation.

I will NEVER go back to this venue because I see no fix. Something went wrong. And I do not care to be a part of an experiment in the future. It's too bad because this could have been a great venue. 3 HOURS! 3 HOURS! So dumb. I will never get those hours back. DON'T GO HERE OR BEWARE!
The Cisco Kid was a friend of mine......
He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine
chungasrevenge

Postby chungasrevenge » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 am

Mansfield is going to be jam packed. More popular than ever as a live act. Crazy how they've had this resurgence over the last ten years or so. When did they start playing stadiums in Europe? They could probably make the jump next time around to a few stadiums in the US on farewell with a couple of solid openers.
risingfarce
Headlining Clubs

Postby risingfarce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:15 pm

chungasrevenge wrote:Mansfield is going to be jam packed. More popular than ever as a live act. Crazy how they've had this resurgence over the last ten years or so. When did they start playing stadiums in Europe? They could probably make the jump next time around to a few stadiums in the US on farewell with a couple of solid openers.

More popular than ever? Hardly.

U.S. "Powerslave" tour - 90+ tour dates

U.S. "Book Of Souls" tour - 34 tour dates
WOLF
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Postby WOLF » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:53 pm

risingfarce wrote:
chungasrevenge wrote:Mansfield is going to be jam packed. More popular than ever as a live act. Crazy how they've had this resurgence over the last ten years or so. When did they start playing stadiums in Europe? They could probably make the jump next time around to a few stadiums in the US on farewell with a couple of solid openers.

It's a different world. Bad Maiden pun intended.

Seriously though. After Metallica they are probably the biggest, most consistent metal draw on the planet.

The US is their worst market and they are still playing to 90% capacity in good sized venues.
chungasrevenge

Postby chungasrevenge » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:05 pm

risingfarce wrote:

Talking about average attendance not number of shows. It's probably never been higher in every area. They were barely playing arenas in Europe on World Slavery.
DemonFilth2001
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Postby DemonFilth2001 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Rocker5150 wrote:I was at the first 4 shows...the security at Bristow and Philly said ~17K, and in Newark or Charlotte Bruce said 15K were there. Can't remember which- kind of a blur now haha. They seem to be doing great this tour. I think they have averaged 10-12K in recent years.

You realize this is Iron Maiden. Not Phish or the Grateful Dead...right?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
risingfarce
Headlining Clubs

Postby risingfarce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 pm

WOLF wrote:
risingfarce wrote:

It's a different world. Bad Maiden pun intended.

Seriously though. After Metallica they are probably the biggest, most consistent metal draw on the planet.

The US is their worst market and they are still playing to 90% capacity in good sized venues.

Second to Metallica. Correct. But that's an extremely distant second.

Metallica will always be the biggest metal group. Most legendary? Either Metallica or Black Sabbath.
Most influential metal band? Again, Black Sabbath or Metallica. For the metal look that goes to
Priest. And for that matter you can say it was KISS before Priest (KISS' different looks from '74 to '75).
Even though Maiden outsold Priest, Priest were there first, Maiden copped some of what they were doing,
and will always be looked at as followers.
risingfarce
Headlining Clubs

Postby risingfarce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:43 pm

chungasrevenge wrote:
risingfarce wrote:

Talking about average attendance not number of shows. It's probably never been higher in every area. They were barely playing arenas in Europe on World Slavery.

Maiden isn't popular enough to play 90+ shows in the U.S. Those days are long gone. Who cares what venues they were playing in Europe on the "Powerslave" tour? This discussion was about their draw in the U.S.

Return to “The Original Gossip Board”