Unearthed Van Halen live video from England '84

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Unearthed Van Halen live video from England '84

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Daytona comes through.

LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:28 am
MOON wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:12 am And poof! It's been removed. So glad I downloaded it. I don't think they will be able to contain this one for too long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuW3W3EBFLI
That one is gone too.

On another note - I think Michael Anthony shows that he was more than worth his quarter of the stage, in this footage.
JackieDaytona wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:39 pm Here's a 2.4gb that's higher quality than the YouTube version that got pulled. Please, to enjoy!

https://mega.nz/file/2QYAXLCS#ouqyBOH4X ... yydpFQDB3w
Thanks for that.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:02 am
fret123 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 pm That’s a surprisingly lousy setlist for a band at the peak of their popularity.

Unchained
Hot for Teacher
Drum Solo
On Fire
Runnin' With the Devil
Little Guitars
House of Pain
Bass Solo
I'll Wait
Everybody Wants Some!!
Oh, Pretty Woman (Roy Orbison cover)
Jump
Guitar Solo
Panama
Encore:
You Really Got Me

They didn’t do Happy Trails at Donington but they were doing it on the rest of the festival shows in Europe. For some reason. Last thing in the show.

What’s missing? Ain’t Talkin Bout Love for sure. Not seeing a bunch of other must-plays that they didn’t do though. Remember it’s a festival show so it’s not the full 1984 setlist.
Yeah not sure what frets beef is... this is a typical VH setlist, they'd do around a 1:45 set, 16 songs plus the 3 solos, and about half of them would be from the latest album. Like Bern said, it was a festival, so they probably needed to get the length closer to 90 min, hence GGB, ATBL and Happy Trails hadda go.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

And House of Pain and Jamie’s Cryin and Cathedral.

Ed’s solo was way too long, they should have cut that by an third and done another song. Guess Roth was out the back doing some blow.

Speaking of which, the bass solo blowed.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

The individual solos were almost like counterprogramming for Dave's "forgot the fucking words" and stage raps. For one of the greatest guitar players of all time, Eddie's solo wasn't all that interesting... he'd just do Eruption/Spanish Fky over and over like Steve Howe would do Mood for a Day and The Clap, later adding Cathedral and 316 during the Hagar years when they needed 3 10-15 min solos to pad the set due to lack of material.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Mike and Al never did 10-15 minute solos. It just fucking felt like it.

Both were always about five minutes long.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

Apparently that unethical piece of shit Curt Gooch who's known for hoarding and trying to profit off Kiss content is responsible for getting this pulled off YouTube after claiming ownership.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Apparently This Man Named Gooch is pretty successful claiming copyright on stolen footage which leads me to believe he's using fake court orders. There's really no other way Curt Grundle is this effective at content removal. And I get the impression Cunt Perineum is extremely annoying and probably terrorizes YouTube 24/7 with this bullshit.

He's really TAINTing these fan communities with this nonsense.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:14 pm Apparently This Man Named Gooch is pretty successful claiming copyright on stolen footage which leads me to believe he's using fake court orders. There's really no other way Curt Grundle is this effective at content removal. And I get the impression Cunt Perineum is extremely annoying and probably terrorizes YouTube 24/7 with this bullshit.

Anyone born with a name like Gooch was fucked from the get-go.

Total loser.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:42 pm
TooOldToCare wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:28 am
MOON wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:12 am And poof! It's been removed. So glad I downloaded it. I don't think they will be able to contain this one for too long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuW3W3EBFLI
That one is gone too.

On another note - I think Michael Anthony shows that he was more than worth his quarter of the stage, in this footage.
JackieDaytona wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:39 pm Here's a 2.4gb that's higher quality than the YouTube version that got pulled. Please, to enjoy!

Thanks for that.

Love his bass playing. I know Iḿ into minority here but I think his backing vocals often suck. Very unpleasant high shrill voice. Not very cool.

Dave`s perfomance here is great by the way. Would be interesting to know who the ones calling him fruitcake (extremely uncool thing to do by the way) think are good frontmen.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

kanister wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:22 am

Dave`s perfomance here is great by the way. Would be interesting to know who the ones calling him fruitcake (extremely uncool thing to do by the way) think are good frontmen.
There's a LOT of revisionist history going on in this thread...Dave influenced every front man that came after him. We've all known exactly who Dave was for 40 years, you didn't need to see some "unearthed" live performance to know he was a bit wacky.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

kanister wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:22 am
Ozzy Stradlin wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:42 pm
That one is gone too.

Thanks for that.

Love his bass playing. I know Iḿ into minority here but I think his backing vocals often suck. Very unpleasant high shrill voice. Not very cool.

Mike also has his hands on two keyboards on “Jump”, which I find interesting.
killdrum
Opening for Slaughter

Post by killdrum »

Fine work you regular human bartender.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

killdrum wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:03 pm
Fine work you regular human bartender.

MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Hellbound

Post by Hellbound »

I got this as soon as you posted it so thanks for that.

Where did you download it from to begin with? Just wondering if there are other treasures to mine for.
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

Hellbound wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:57 pm

Where did you download it from to begin with? Just wondering if there are other treasures to mine for.
I found it on Guitars101 but there are no other leaked VH stuff out at the moment. I'm not sure where that file came from but it's by far the best looking one I've seen.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
James_Addiction
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by James_Addiction »

This show wasn't as bad as the US Festival debacle but it wasn't much better. Drunk, coked out millionaire rock stars going through the motions. Total shit show fall from grace. 1984 Van Halen felt liked 20 years had passed compared to 1980 Van Halen.
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:14 pm Apparently This Man Named Gooch is pretty successful claiming copyright on stolen footage which leads me to believe he's using fake court orders. There's really no other way Curt Grundle is this effective at content removal. And I get the impression Cunt Perineum is extremely annoying and probably terrorizes YouTube 24/7 with this bullshit.

I am a KISS nerd so I have been following the drama over at KISSFaq. It is my understanding it is super easy to get content taken down. Like you don't need to prove anything. The difficult part is fighting the takedowns which it seems some of the KISS content posters have successfully done recently.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

JackieDaytona wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:17 am
Hellbound wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:57 pm

I found it on Guitars101 but there are no other leaked VH stuff out at the moment. I'm not sure where that file came from but it's by far the best looking one I've seen.
Thanks! Great quality indeed but something's wrong with the indexing. Burned a copy on dvd and it freezes right after Ed's solo. Also nothing happens if you select any of the last three chapters in the menu. All files are burned to the disc, so that is not the problem. Used two different programs to burn 2 copies, same problem. Anybody else tried and made the whole thing work?

Edit: One or more of the files at this link seems to be corrupt. Download this off guitars101.com and it will work.
Last edited by Love_Industry on Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Alias wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:43 am Same thoughts here, Roth' stages "moves" are completely fruity.

I was a little too young for the Roth years but always heard "In his prime he was the ultimate frontman." Yeah, no. That's all cringe.
If you go by what VH veterans wrote on the VHML back in the 90s this was not Roth in his prime. This is after he went from being "David Lee Roth singer / frontman of Van Halen" to being the "Diamond Dave character" on stage.

Too bad there isn't much video from 80-81, but supposedly this change happened around the Diver Down album / tour. Makes sense as DD was also where they started doing silly covers etc, moving away from the straight hard rock sound of the first four. And FW more or less bombed, no hits and the album barely shipped gold (but eventually went platinum in late 1981).
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

They used payola to get Fair Warning to platinum, it bombed. They tossed off Diver Down in a week and a half and it sold a million in the first month, two by the first year and has four platinum certification now. Should have listened to Roth, he knew what the fans wanted.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:29 am They used payola to get Fair Warning to platinum, it bombed. They tossed off Diver Down in a week and a half and it sold a million in the first month, two by the first year and has four platinum certification now. Should have listened to Roth, he knew what the fans wanted.
The fans, at least the diehards, loved FW. The casuals / general public didn't care. So Roth gave them Pretty Woman and Dancing in the Streets....
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

James_Addiction wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:44 pm This show wasn't as bad as the US Festival debacle but it wasn't much better. Drunk, coked out millionaire rock stars going through the motions. Total shit show fall from grace. 1984 Van Halen felt liked 20 years had passed compared to 1980 Van Halen.
This is an underrated take.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

Love_Industry wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:56 am
BernieTaupson wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:29 am They used payola to get Fair Warning to platinum, it bombed. They tossed off Diver Down in a week and a half and it sold a million in the first month, two by the first year and has four platinum certification now. Should have listened to Roth, he knew what the fans wanted.
The fans, at least the diehards, loved FW. The casuals / general public didn't care. So Roth gave them Pretty Woman and Dancing in the Streets....
Fair Warning is fucking awesome! My fave VH release.

Diver Down was a bullshit, cash grab release and it certainly sounded like they tossed it together in two weeks. It sucks.

They should have just done a live record from the FW tour when they were kicking ass if they needed product to put out!!
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

One of my favorite quotes ever.
Noel Monk told them the album would not make it to platinum, to which Alex replied 'that is impossible, Van Halen is a platinum selling band'.
Logic from a rock star...
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Alex is a fucking moron.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

skatexedge wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:55 pm
Love_Industry wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:56 am
Fair Warning is fucking awesome! My fave VH release.

Diver Down was a bullshit, cash grab release and it certainly sounded like they tossed it together in two weeks. It sucks.

They should have just done a live record from the FW tour when they were kicking ass if they needed product to put out!!
The pro shot footage that exists from the FW tour suggests that they thought about it, but for some reason it didn't happen. Like you said, DD wasn't planned, they made that weird-ass Pretty Woman video and then WB wanted more. For being done 12 days it holds up pretty good imo.