Redneck roadtrip

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

superglide88
Headlining Clubs

Redneck roadtrip

Post by superglide88 »

Will be roadtripping in redneck territory in april/may. From Mobile, Alabama through New Orleans, crossing Mississippi state to Memphis, then Nashville and back down through Alabama.
New Orleans looks pretty rough these days, hotels in the decent areas aren’t cheap either. Not that much to see besides the French Quarter. Any locals here? There’s a bluestrail going through Mississippi but seems to be mainly a bunch of markers. Clarksdale an obvious stop. Nashville is expensive, yikes. A hotel in east Nashville and ubering downtown in the evening looks affordable.
Anybody good any good tips / must sees besides the obvious? Mainly on the route New Orleans - Memphis. I have about 16-17 days to spend of which I want to spend at least 3 days in Nashville.
Vandermint wrote:At best, KISS is Alice Cooper for dumb people
eddie lee roth wrote:myself and members of my family could use some help but I'm supposed to help some fucker in a banana suit first.
Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit :!:
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Re: Redneck roadtrip

Post by TeslaFan »

I lived in Mississippi for 25 years. If you get close to Greenwood, Ms, there’s an incredibly good steakhouse called Lusco’s. It has plantation style dining rooms. Incredible food. I used to drive a couple of hours out of my way to get there and it’s was well worth the diversion. Downtown Oxford MS also has several great restaurants. Take in the history. It’s all pretty interesting stuff. Enjoy yourself!
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Post by sicktwistedfreak »

Good luck in the French Quarter. It's gross and after spending a ton of time there, I will not be going back. Rough is putting it mildly.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Good luck in the French Quarter. It's gross and after spending a ton of time there, I will not be going back. Rough is putting it mildly.
Whether it's his outer glaze or cream-filled insides, King Ding Dong gets his subjects filthy!
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

sicktwistedfreak wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:35 am Good luck in the French Quarter. It's gross and after spending a ton of time there, I will not be going back. Rough is putting it mildly.
[/quot

Like how? I've always wanted to visit but not if it's super dangerous. Is Mardi Grad time better because of the influx of tourists?
sicktwistedfreak
Opening for Slaughter

Cindy Buzzedimisa wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:19 pm
sicktwistedfreak wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:35 am Good luck in the French Quarter. It's gross and after spending a ton of time there, I will not be going back. Rough is putting it mildly.
[/quot

Like how? I've always wanted to visit but not if it's super dangerous. Is Mardi Grad time better because of the influx of tourists?
The crime rates are off the charts and I stopped going for Mardi Gras back in the 1990's for how bad it was back then. My aunt owned a restaurant on the Riverwalk and they had to shut it down due to crime. They have even shut down visiting graveyards due to theft. The police are very understaffed and don't have the capacity to answer all 911 calls. New Orleans is ranked 9th in the country when it comes to homicides and they have some of the highest crime rates per capita in the United States.

You have to be very careful in the quarter because if you cross the wrong street, you may end up missing. Stay in well-lit areas along common streets where you and other people are.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/crim ... b8554b360e
superglide88
Headlining Clubs

Post by superglide88 »

TeslaFan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:48 am I lived in Mississippi for 25 years. If you get close to Greenwood, Ms, there’s an incredibly good steakhouse called Lusco’s. It has plantation style dining rooms. Incredible food. I used to drive a couple of hours out of my way to get there and it’s was well worth the diversion. Downtown Oxford MS also has several great restaurants. Take in the history. It’s all pretty interesting stuff. Enjoy yourself!
Thanks, will keep that in mind!
eddie lee roth wrote:myself and members of my family could use some help but I'm supposed to help some fucker in a banana suit first.
superglide88
Headlining Clubs

Post by superglide88 »

Anyone else on New Orleans? Memphis or Nashville or Alabama stuff besides the obvious?
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

the south is obviously rural so there’s really nothing there.

Memphis is a dump and has been since the 60s - CEO talked about his tour van being stolen in the early 90s and it’s only become worse. Beale street is just a ‘blues’ version of Broadway in Nashville - just an area where tourists go to get drunk and bands play the same songs.
(In Nashville musicians are giving a list of mandatory songs.)

Memphis is cool as a historical spot if you want to see Sun Records, Stax and visit the banks of the Mississippi where Jeff Buckley drowned.
For morbid curiosity you could cross the bridge into West Memphis, Arkansas and rubberneck at the trailer parks that birthed the WM3.

Nashville is safe but I’ve never been a fan.
New Orleans has great food and Bourbon street has a bit more merit than Beale or Broadway.
Just be careful at night, one wrong turn and you’ll be on some narrow primitive road surrounded by shacks.

Dockery farms in Mississippi is good for blues lore.
Clarksdale is good, just make sure to visit the original crossroads, not just the ones they commemorate. I can’t remember the 2 Highway numbers, but the old ones are the ones you want to visit.
Robert Johnson’s grave is behind a church on the outskirts of town.

Holly Springs, MS is where Junior kimbrough & RL Burnside were from but there’s nothing there

There’s also Elvis - Graceland in Memphis. And his birthplace is Tupelo, MS.
Johnny Cash was raised outside Jonesboro, Arkansas
Brad Welp
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Brad Welp »

superglide88 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:04 am Anyone else on New Orleans? Memphis or Nashville or Alabama stuff besides the obvious?

All over the South there are beautiful tributes and monuments to our Southern Civil War heroes. This should be your focus. See these things before the criminal thugs take them down.

Try visiting the Jefferson Davis museum in Biloxi. Awesome place:
https://www.visitbeauvoir.org/?fbclid=I ... m11KvQ--Oc
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

I was thinking about a 'blues trail' trip like this but cruising up the Mississippi River for at least part of it. Cranking Proud Mary while getting some drinks in on a river boat sounds like fun, but might be too many cruise ship type people aboard, not sure about that part.
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Turner Coates
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Turner Coates »

When in 'Nawlins, go to Tipitina's.

https://tipitinas.com/

"I'm just here for the irony and the dancing."
DavidLeeLarsUlrichRoth
Headlining Clubs

Post by DavidLeeLarsUlrichRoth »

I think it would be fun to do the Bandit Beer Run from Atlanta to Texarkana (and back).

https://filmschoolrejects.com/could-you ... 552277d12/
The population explosion would be less of a problem if lighting the fuse didn't feel so good.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, AL are beautiful. Tourists shouldn't be at the peak of fuckery in April/May sans Hangout Fest.