Blue Oyster Cult + Mark Farner's American Band @ Santa Fe Swap Meet 2023-10-14

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Blue Oyster Cult + Mark Farner's American Band @ Santa Fe Swap Meet 2023-10-14

Post by ijwthstd »

Show = good
Venue = excellent
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Blue Oyster Cult + Mark Farner's American Band @ Santa Fe Swap Meet 2023-10-14

Post by exitflagger »

Sadly, the last Blue Oyster Cult show I saw was not great. They seem old; I realize they ARE old but "seeming" old and trying to play kickass rock music is a not a good combination. I came away thinking they need to retire.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Re: Blue Oyster Cult + Mark Farner's American Band @ Santa Fe Swap Meet 2023-10-14

Post by EzyRider »

I've seen BOC several times and they can be hit or miss. When they are on it's pretty f'ing good. They are constantly gigging it seems like, not sure if they need the money or just love it that fucking much. The latest album is surprisingly good.

I've never been to the Santa Fe Swap Meet even though I've driven past it 1-2 thousand times, what makes it an excellent venue??
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

I’ve never been to Tijuana - but I would think that’s exactly what it would be like
It’s a weird feeling it’s a scary place but I feel safe
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Cindy Buzzedimisa
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

Saw them last month at a county fair. There was one guy about 45 yrs old who looked like a teenager compared to the rest of the band that was doing the work of like 3 guys. Good show, nothing earth shattering. No cowbell.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:51 pm I've seen BOC several times and they can be hit or miss. When they are on it's pretty f'ing good. They are constantly gigging it seems like, not sure if they need the money or just love it that fucking much. The latest album is surprisingly good.

I've never been to the Santa Fe Swap Meet even though I've driven past it 1-2 thousand times, what makes it an excellent venue??
Ive been there tons of times to see tribute bands in the sun, $1 to get in, 3 1hr sets by the band, ensuring deep cuts, big beers, tacos, always fun.
Havent been since covid, I hear the stage was totally redone. I guess it's setup now to host some 'real' bands.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

$1 to get in?? That's the kinda price where you are too embarrassed to sneak in or be on a guest list (it's a fucking dollar!)

I gotta check this out, it's on my radar now for sure. I remember driving by a while back and Bonfire was playing, I've seen them a couple times and they're really good. It's just over a half hour from my place, totally do able if the freaking freeway construction crews don't F everything up. Way closer than the Redwood! :)
Last edited by EzyRider on Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's good to be bad
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

I've only seen them once. It was in 2017 at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas. It was a good show, they sounded great.

IMO Buck Dharma is underrated as a guitar player. But I have to say that I absolutely hate the Steinberger custom guitar he plays. It just looks totally stupid.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:16 pm $1 to get in?? That's the kinda price where you are too embarrassed to sneak on or be on a guest list (it's a fucking dollar!)

I gotta check this out, it's on my radar now for sure. I remember driving by a while back and Bonfire was playing, I've seen them a couple times and they're really good. It's just over a half hour from my place, totally do able if the freaking freeway construction crews don't F everything up. Way closer than the Redwood! :)
Looks like Bonfire is Nov 11. I'll prolly go, I'm friends with the Angus. I could put a good word in for you to get on the discount list, 33¢ if you buy directly from the band :P
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:53 pm
EzyRider wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:16 pm $1 to get in?? That's the kinda price where you are too embarrassed to sneak in or be on a guest list (it's a fucking dollar!)

Looks like Bonfire is Nov 11. I'll prolly go, I'm friends with the Angus. I could put a good word in for you to get on the discount list, 33¢ if you buy directly from the band :P
I'll see if I can get my AC/DC loving buddy to do some early xmas shopping plus tacos, beers and rocking at the same time

So they play an hour, take a break for an hour, for three 1 hour shows?

I mentioned it my wife and she wants to do it haha, I started with the xmas shopping and tacos angle then casually threw in 'a band plays for free' :twisted:
It's good to be bad
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Swung by SFSM on Saturday for burritos, beers, band, good times were had.

No Christmas shopping, it seemed like DTLA kinda stuff, cheap toys, candy, trinkets, some cool t-shirts and blankets, but nothing that made me pull out my wallet. How do these people make money??

Lots of people for the band. Great people watching, pretty sure all the members of Berdoo were there.

Bonfire got swapped out for Wizardz of Ozz, the singer and bass player were very good, drummer and guitar player sounded better on the Sabbath stuff to my ears.

Someone tell the guitar player it sacrilegious to use a spotted flying V on the Sabbath tunes though! :D
It's good to be bad
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

EzyRider wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:51 am Swung by SFSM on Saturday for burritos, beers, band, good times were had.

No Christmas shopping, it seemed like DTLA kinda stuff, cheap toys, candy, trinkets, some cool t-shirts and blankets, but nothing that made me pull out my wallet. How do these people make money??

Lots of people for the band. Great people watching, pretty sure all the members of Berdoo were there.

Bonfire got swapped out for Wizardz of Ozz, the singer and bass player were very good, drummer and guitar player sounded better on the Sabbath stuff to my ears.

Someone tell the guitar player it sacrilegious to use a spotted flying V on the Sabbath tunes though! :D
I ended up being there too!

I didnt have plans that sat so I told a ton of friends that we should all go. A bunch were down.
Then i find out it's Ozzy, not /DC. Now I dont wanna go anymore, but somew friends already said yes, I decide it will still be fun.

A few of them didnt even flake and showed!

I get there, and the Ozzy band is old as fuck and so is the crowd and im a bit depressed how fucking far in the rearview mirror all this shit is. So I get in the line to get me some vitamin B(eer) to make it all better.

Apparantly i'm totally sick of Blizzard of Ozz songs. And they were doing all of them. He's using a polka dot V, a Zakk bullseye , and a Jake Charvel... but i do see a SG on the stand, so I guess there will be some Sabbath later, so that cheers me up.

I get a second beer for the Sabbath set and get into it. I notice the bassist is this guy Perry I know. He is in every Ozzy tribute, I think. We hung out later and he said they fucked up Crowley and Shot in the Dark cause they were on tracks. And perry Mason. I said "You didnt play Perry Mason" he said "we will later" to which I said, "You're already planning on fucking it up?"

Beers wear off for the 3rd set and they start repeating songs, which is a big no-no at the swap meet. Maybe they had to as a last min replacement for /DC. I bail.

I text Angus from Bonfire about wtf happened. He was confused. maybe he just goes where the agent tells him to.

Overall, it was fun, but it just wasnt the same as like a decade ago. Probably cause i'm more of a grumpy old bastard now.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Oh, yeah. And now it costs TWICE AS FUCKING MUCH TO GET IN!
I know inflation is a bitch, but a full 100% increase is robbery.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I think everyone here will like this movie called ROADIE from 2011 about a roadie for Blue Oyster Cult that didn't get the gig one summer, so he moved back in with his mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCdVOKCKNM
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Cool story Huey. I guess if you're going to fuck up you might as well do it right and plan ahead...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557