DUMBEST GUYS IN ROCK ... The Ace thread got me thinking... Who are the Dumbest guys in Rock n' Roll?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: DUMBEST GUYS IN ROCK ... The Ace thread got me thinking... Who are the Dumbest guys in Rock n' Roll?

Post by Hellsinkey »

I like The Lemonheads, but Evan Dando is dumb.
Danzig in the Dark

Re: DUMBEST GUYS IN ROCK ... The Ace thread got me thinking... Who are the Dumbest guys in Rock n' Roll?

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:45 am
Indy_Rob wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:44 pm

Mick Mars? I don’t think he’s ever come across as dumb. Just weird and quiet and not a great father.
That too, but his rant about colorful cartoon dinosaurs and the "yuppies" who came up with that idea in The Dirt is one of the dumbest things I ever heard a rock star say. Even dumber is that he approved it for publishing.
I would think he knows about dinosaurs.
ImageImage
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

David Ellefson gives me major left-back-in-first-grade vibes.

Agreed Ace and Mick Mars don’t strike me as particularly bright.

Phil Anselmo might do a lot of stupid shit, but he’s not inherently stupid. Rex, on the other hand, read that guy’s book and let’s just say you’re not gonna come away from it thinking he’s a smart person.

Aaron Lewis, Ted Nugent, Michael Sweet = dumb. Kid Rock = possibly dumb, possibly just pandering to dumb people, perhaps both.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Neal Schon and Joe Perry seem pretty dumb as well.

Going by their early lyrics I suspect the main songwriters in Saxon don't have very high IQs. Steve Dawson and Biff I guess. They can't even blame language issues like Krokus as they're English.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Nibbler wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:22 am Brian Robertson
What did he do?
Nibbler
Forming a Band

Post by Nibbler »

You kidding? Had a fight in a bar and busted his hand the night before the most important US tour the band were going to do, recovered and came back, ego went out of control and he got pissed off with Phil and quit the band, was talked into coming back and then quit AGAIN.

Joined Motörhead and deliberately antagonised the audience by wearing goofy shorts on stage (not a joke) and got himself thrown out after one album.

Promptly threw his career away and did nothing of note since Thin Lizzy except for a failure of a band that no one heard of.

Refused to show up for a rehearsal or even a soundcheck for the Gary Moore Phil tribute show mid 2000s, proceeded to play like a kid learning how to play in the basement and almost totally derailed Emerald and Still In Love With You. Faded back into oblivion immediately afterwards.

Talk about a waste of talent.
Last edited by Nibbler on Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

Vinnie Vincent, but then agan, there’s probably a mental illness involved and that just makes it sad.
jens

Post by jens »

Nibbler wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:41 am Talk about a waste of talent.
I knew about the career self sabotage.
Agreed on all your points of course, but was confused since the tread is more about guys struggling to spell their own names.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Zinny wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:01 am Vinnie Vincent, but then agan, there’s probably a mental illness involved and that just makes it sad.
VV has many problems, mental illness included, but I am not sure room temperature IQ is one of them.
BiggusDickus
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by BiggusDickus »

Those two guys in Anvil. Max Cavalera (Sepultura).
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

BiggusDickus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:30 am Those two guys in Anvil.
These are perhaps the best candidates of all.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Speaking of Dumb sh!t like Power Trip Festival...

Let's continue to discuss stupidity in the rock world.

Ready, Set, Sludge!

$ludge
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Hellsinkey wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:04 am I like The Lemonheads, but Evan Dando is dumb.
Seeing him passed out on the side of the wiltern after I parked my car, wasted the night jawbreaker kicked him off the tour was something else.
mrspeedgene
Headlining Clubs

Post by mrspeedgene »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:58 am Speaking of Dumb sh!t like Power Trip Festival...

Let's continue to discuss stupidity in the rock world.

Ready, Set, Sludge!

$ludge
Nearly 2 hrs of Tommy Lee on Club Random. Jeezus I could barely make 5 minutea.
They laughed at their gods
And fought them in vain
So he turned his
back on them
And left them in pain
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Continuing the Motörhead theme, Philthy Animal Taylor and Wurzel (both RIP) seemed pretty dumb.

Steevi Jaimz (Tigertailz) and Pete Blakk (King Diamond) are grade A morons as well.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

mrspeedgene wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:31 am Nearly 2 hrs of Tommy Lee on Club Random. Jeezus I could barely make 5 minutea.
That was painful but tbh, he could barely get a sentence out before Bill interrupted him.
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

The Prez wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:43 pm
mrspeedgene wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:31 am Nearly 2 hrs of Tommy Lee on Club Random. Jeezus I could barely make 5 minutea.
That was painful but tbh, he could barely get a sentence out before Bill interrupted him.
Yeah, Bill is a bit of a "I, me, my" narcissist, so anyone he has on is just to interrupt them and bring up stuff about himself. I first thought, Bill is so lightyears ahead of Tommy's IQ, why would he even have him on? It's because they have the famous pussyhound thing in common. And Bill gets to drop in things about his own fame and cavorting. That's about it.
Blumpkin King
Headlining Clubs

Post by Blumpkin King »

Jeff Keith seems dumb.

Sebastian actually seems pretty witty and can be funny. Not so sure he is dumb, but just pretty annoying.
metalslayer
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by metalslayer »

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:17 pm
Yeah, Bill is a bit of a "I, me, my" narcissist, so anyone he has on is just to interrupt them and bring up stuff about himself. I first thought, Bill is so lightyears ahead of Tommy's IQ, why would he even have him on? It's because they have the famous pussyhound thing in common. And Bill gets to drop in things about his own fame and cavorting. That's about it.
Bill isn’t very intelligent if you closely listen to him, which I do not recommend, ha ha . He is somewhat well read, but not a very smart guy.

I was going to bring up this topic as well though….Tommy claiming gallons of vodka a day, and “professor” bill does not call him on that. It is hard to drink “gallons” of beer a day if you are a complete drunk…..vodka? Get the fuck out of here….maybe a handle 1.75L at his worst, but gallons are just not humanly possible, even for the biggest human compost heap that is known as Tommy Lee
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

metalslayer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:52 pm
Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Bill isn’t very intelligent if you closely listen to him, which I do not recommend, ha ha . He is somewhat well read, but not a very smart guy.

I was going to bring up this topic as well though….Tommy claiming gallons of vodka a day, and “professor” bill does not call him on that. It is hard to drink “gallons” of beer a day if you are a complete drunk…..vodka? Get the fuck out of here….maybe a handle 1.75L at his worst, but gallons are just not humanly possible, even for the biggest human compost heap that is known as Tommy Lee
Yeah, Tommy is just 'fucking' inflating things a bit, for dramatic 'fucking' effect, as he normally 'fucking' does. He is probably getting confused with the 1.75L handles, and saying 'fucking' gallons. Bill probably doesn't correct him because he could care less and probably doesn't understand the 1.75L handles, as well.

I can't imagine at his age drinking that much and then going out and having to beat on things for a 2 hour show. I'd be calling in sick after drinking half of one 1.75L handle.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:36 pm He is probably getting confused with the 1.75L handles, and saying 'fucking' gallons. Bill probably doesn't correct him because he could care less and probably doesn't understand the 1.75L handles, as well.

I can't imagine at his age drinking that much and then going out and having to beat on things for a 2 hour show. I'd be calling in sick after drinking half of one 1.75L handle.
Yeah, that must it. Still, that's an insane amount of booze (if true), he's one lucky mofo to survive this, that's for sure. I think it was after Motley's "final" tour/show in 2015 when it was pretty clear he was boozing heavily. It definitely wasn't happening while
they were on tour.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

The Prez wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:54 am
Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:36 pm He is probably getting confused with the 1.75L handles, and saying 'fucking' gallons. Bill probably doesn't correct him because he could care less and probably doesn't understand the 1.75L handles, as well.

Yeah, that must it. Still, that's an insane amount of booze (if true), he's one lucky mofo to survive this, that's for sure. I think it was after Motley's "final" tour/show in 2015 when it was pretty clear he was boozing heavily. It definitely wasn't happening while
they were on tour.
Tommy was drinking insane amounts long before that. Duff McKagan wrote in his book that he moved in next to Tommy's cottage in 1989, and within two months, he was "throwing up blood" over at Tommy's. Not even he could "hang" with Tommy Lee back then, and the same book Duff wrote that he was so drunk during the next GnR tour that he didn't remember he went to Czechoslovakia and played a show in Prague until he saw the stamps in his passport. So it's not like he wasn't used to drinking...

https://www.seattleweekly.com/music/duf ... -the-crue/
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:31 am
Tommy was drinking insane amounts long before that. Duff McKagan wrote in his book that he moved in next to Tommy's cottage in 1989, and within two months, he was "throwing up blood" over at Tommy's. Not even he could "hang" with Tommy Lee back then, and the same book Duff wrote that he was so drunk during the next GnR tour that he didn't remember he went to Czechoslovakia and played a show in Prague until he saw the stamps in his passport. So it's not like he wasn't used to drinking...

For sure, but you can get away with it in your 20s...doing this shit when you're pushing 60 is ridiculous. Duff nearly died as a result and has been clean ever since. Tommy on the other had...
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

The Prez wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:52 am
Love_Industry wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:31 am

For sure, but you can get away with it in your 20s...doing this shit when you're pushing 60 is ridiculous. Duff nearly died as a result and has been clean ever since. Tommy on the other had...
But Tommy is brain dead....
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

jens wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:56 pm
Nibbler wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:22 am Brian Robertson
What did he do?
Dipped his brain in alcohol.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

kytepunches wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:30 am
Love_Industry wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:45 am
Indy_Rob wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:44 pm

Mick Mars? I don’t think he’s ever come across as dumb. Just weird and quiet and not a great father.
That too, but his rant about colorful cartoon dinosaurs and the "yuppies" who came up with that idea in The Dirt is one of the dumbest things I ever heard a rock star say. Even dumber is that he approved it for publishing.

Also, isn't he five times divorced? Not the sign of a very smart rich rock star, that must have cost him a lot.
It is really dumb if you got cleaned out once and still go without a pre nup.
People seem to think he's smart because he doesn't speak that much. Judging from the things I've read, that's probably for the best.

Tommy seems like a guy that never thinks before he does anything. In fact, I wonder whether thinking is something he does at all.

Nikki is a little smarter, but he tries so hard to come off as smart while he's probably only average.

Vince? Hard to tell if he's drunk 90% of the time. Come to think of it, that usually doesn't really boost your IQ.

To conclude I give the Crue an average IQ of 85. A little above Forrest Gump level.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

i've met ace...he is convinced he is a genius which makes him even more annoying...on the other hand i met pete steele from type o, wasn't expecting much and he was extremely witty and came across both unaffected and intelligent...dude could have easily been a standup comic...d.m.