Guess who doesn't like ADKOT?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Re: Guess who doesn't like ADKOT?

Post by thechefs2003 »

daveg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:39 am So....are we all just believing Wolfat here???

Why would DLR allow the live album to be streamed.

Makes no sene to me. I highly doubt Dave cares about that petty BS. Now Alex on the other hand....I can see being pissed about something, and just saying F it. Take it off.

This seems to me, Wolfie just being a prick. He probably has no idea why it is not on Spotity
Alex Van Halen = AVH = three initials.....
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:50 am Better than any post-Skyscraper DLR album.
A Little Ain't Enough was better than Skyscraper though.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

No fucking way.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

thechefs2003 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:49 am
daveg wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:39 am So....are we all just believing Wolfat here???

Why would DLR allow the live album to be streamed.

Makes no sene to me. I highly doubt Dave cares about that petty BS. Now Alex on the other hand....I can see being pissed about something, and just saying F it. Take it off.

This seems to me, Wolfie just being a prick. He probably has no idea why it is not on Spotity
Alex Van Halen = AVH = three initials.....
Yep, that thought had occurred to me too.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Alex is a cunt but he’s not “known by three initials” like DLR. It was 100% Dave they were talking about. That being said, I’m sure Cartgang has got the wrong end of the stick, maybe they wanted to put it up without re-licensing it or something and Dave wanted his cut or it wasn’t happening. It was on Interscope not WB, it was its own deal. Live in Tokyo was back on WB.
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

kanister wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:39 pm
SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:50 am Better than any post-Skyscraper DLR album.
No way. Title track is classic DLR. But what else is there? Tell The Truth and Sensible Shoes are alright. Maybe Lady Luck, Drop In The Bucket. Most of it is garbage.

Skyscraper has Damn Good Times, Just Like Paradise, Knucklebones, Stand Up, Hina. Great stuff. Only Bottom Line and Hot Dog and a Shake are filler.
kanister
Headlining Clubs

Post by kanister »

SchenkerFan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:56 am
No way. Title track is classic DLR. But what else is there? Tell The Truth and Sensible Shoes are alright. Maybe Lady Luck, Drop In The Bucket. Most of it is garbage.

Skyscraper has Damn Good Times, Just Like Paradise, Knucklebones, Stand Up, Hina. Great stuff. Only Bottom Line and Hot Dog and a Shake are filler.
Just listened to Skyscraper the other day and was thinking the title track Skyscraper, Hina and Damn Good are the only really great songs. Plenty of cool moments in other songs too (like the instrumental breaks in Hot Dog and a Shake and Two Fools a Minute). I like the album by the way, ok?

Just Like Paradise and A Lil Ain't Enough are the worst songs in Dave`s catalogue for me. Always skip both. Contrived and calculated.

The production really let down Skyscraper. Two genius moves by Dave were to bring in Bob Rock for meatier sound and Steve Hunter for some cool classic rock guitar on ALAE. Jason Becker for me was just icing on a cake. I like most of the songs on the album. The title track sucks and It's Showtime is a bit of a pointless exercise. My favourite cuts are probably The Dogtown Shuffle, Last Call, Sensible Shoes and Tell the Truth (it is a carbon copy of Black Velvet by Alannah Myles, but the singing and lyrics are really good). So yeah I guess I am more into darker side of Dave and this album had a lot to offer on that front. I would have put out Hammerhead Shark as a lead off single cause the climate favoured the more traditional sounds by the likes of Black Crowes, GnR and the upcoming grunge bands. Hair metal number like A Lil Ain`t Enough with a bimbo video was outdated from the get go.

Here in Europe Dave played seven songs from ALAE live. That's pretty amazing knowing how the classic artists treat their recent releases nowadays. From what I `ve read the big downfall of his career started on the US leg of this tour. I remember being surprised cause I always thought of him as someone who has got the intelligence to stay relevant in changing rock scene. But most of his career choices in music have seemed baffling ever since ALAE days.
The Sacred Cowman
Headlining Clubs

Post by The Sacred Cowman »

I agree with DLR(if it was him) that it sucks. One of my worst purchases ever, and it still hurts whenever I look at that record that I spent my hard earned money on it. She's The Woman was the only decent song and the rest is filler after filler, As Is, Stay Frosty, Beats Working, China Town, Tattoo, The Trouble With Never, and so on. It surprises me that there are people who like that album.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

My least favourite DLR/VH album, but I still dig it.

The good: tons of energy, EVH is shredding his butt off

The bad: the songs don't breathe enough, DLR is singing way too much, he's all over every song, it's like he's getting paid to sing as many words as possible.
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

The Sacred Cowman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:50 pm I agree with DLR(if it was him) that it sucks. One of my worst purchases ever, and it still hurts whenever I look at that record that I spent my hard earned money on it.
Are you a man of meager assets :?:
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

The Sacred Cowman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:50 pm I agree with DLR(if it was him) that it sucks. One of my worst purchases ever, and it still hurts whenever I look at that record that I spent my hard earned money on it. She's The Woman was the only decent song and the rest is filler after filler, As Is, Stay Frosty, Beats Working, China Town, Tattoo, The Trouble With Never, and so on. It surprises me that there are people who like that album.
As Is great
Stay Frosty great
Beats Working great
China Town great
Tattoo average and it was insane leading with it
The Trouble With Never average
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

ADKOT is awesome, main problem that it starts to drag after the halfway point. Should have been 9 songs.

Tattoo
She's The Woman
You and Your Blues
China Town
Blood and Fire
As Is
Big River
Beats Workin
Stay Frosty
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

kanister wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:18 pm
SchenkerFan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:56 am

Just listened to Skyscraper the other day and was thinking the title track Skyscraper, Hina and Damn Good are the only really great songs. Plenty of cool moments in other songs too (like the instrumental breaks in Hot Dog and a Shake and Two Fools a Minute). I like the album by the way, ok?

Just Like Paradise and A Lil Ain't Enough are the worst songs in Dave`s catalogue for me. Always skip both. Contrived and calculated.

The production really let down Skyscraper. Two genius moves by Dave were to bring in Bob Rock for meatier sound and Steve Hunter for some cool classic rock guitar on ALAE. Jason Becker for me was just icing on a cake. I like most of the songs on the album. The title track sucks and It's Showtime is a bit of a pointless exercise. My favourite cuts are probably The Dogtown Shuffle, Last Call, Sensible Shoes and Tell the Truth (it is a carbon copy of Black Velvet by Alannah Myles, but the singing and lyrics are really good). So yeah I guess I am more into darker side of Dave and this album had a lot to offer on that front. I would have put out Hammerhead Shark as a lead off single cause the climate favoured the more traditional sounds by the likes of Black Crowes, GnR and the upcoming grunge bands. Hair metal number like A Lil Ain`t Enough with a bimbo video was outdated from the get go.

Here in Europe Dave played seven songs from ALAE live. That's pretty amazing knowing how the classic artists treat their recent releases nowadays. From what I `ve read the big downfall of his career started on the US leg of this tour. I remember being surprised cause I always thought of him as someone who has got the intelligence to stay relevant in changing rock scene. But most of his career choices in music have seemed baffling ever since ALAE days.
Dave was definitely one of the victims of that 90-91 transition period where the 80s were over but nobody knew it yet. That US tour was sad - he had to double up with Cinderella and still couldn't sell tickets. Only 2 ALAE songs - title cut and Tell the Truth. For some reason he added Gigolo and Easy Street from the EP. He was definitely a lost soul, both creatively and image-wise. For a guy who used to be a leader at both it was painful to watch.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

kanister wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:18 pm I remember being surprised cause I always thought of him as someone who has got the intelligence to stay relevant in changing rock scene. But most of his career choices in music have seemed baffling ever since ALAE days.
Oh, he knew those days were over before he released ALAE. THe title track video is basically a goodbye to the Diamond Dave persona.
For Sensible Shoes and Tell the Truth he did b&w videos and the songs were not in any way hair metal lyrically and musically.
So he was pivoting away from the 80s indeed.
The problem is that neither his label nor the fans wanted a "mature" and "arty" DLR... and not Vegas Dave a few years later either.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. At least he didn't try going grunge or alternative. A Roth MC94 or CoS would be even worse than those actual albums.