Do I tell you I had a chat with Gene Simmons yesterday or do I keep that shit to myself?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Do I tell you I had a chat with Gene Simmons yesterday or do I keep that shit to myself?

Post by sirthx2 »

Fuck it. You guys are cool. Normally I don't kiss & tell. (see what I did there?) Ran into Uncle Gene and Sophie while out w/ my daughter, and he couldn't have been more pleasant - May have to re-think any future contributions to KISS are shite threads. And for the record Sophie looked gangbusters! That's all ya get.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Re: Do I tell you I had a chat with Gene Simmons yesterday or do I keep that shit to myself?

Post by diablomozart »

when i met him he was actually very nice...had a good sense of humor too...paul was a bit stand-offish...bruce and eric seemed to just be happy to be there...d.m.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: Do I tell you I had a chat with Gene Simmons yesterday or do I keep that shit to myself?

Post by Mister Freeze »

Did you meet Gene or the avatar?
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mister Freeze wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:54 am Did you meet Gene or the avatar?
Shit!! Now that I think about it.....
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

I've always thought Gene had two sides, he's got the Rockstar side, and then he's got the Chaim side. If he's playing the rockstar role, then he's going to be the cocky jerk that everyone loves to hate, but if he's just being Chaim, then he's simply a polite, older Jew. It's been nice seeing that other side of him as he's gotten older, the same way it's nice when Roth lets hit guard down and is himself and isn't playing up all the hyperactive shit.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:35 am I've always thought Gene had two sides, he's got the Rockstar side, and then he's got the Chaim side. If he's playing the rockstar role, then he's going to be the cocky jerk that everyone loves to hate, but if he's just being Chaim, then he's simply a polite, older Jew. It's been nice seeing that other side of him as he's gotten older, the same way it's nice when Roth lets hit guard down and is himself and isn't playing up all the hyperactive shit.
Yeah, hard to say this and not sound 'toolish' but I'm no stranger to being around celebs. Certain individuals give a vibe that you can't explain. Gene had that for me. It was cool. And I'm not a KISS guy but I think all us rock and roll lovers are KISS people to a degree whether we realize/admit it or not.

SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Yeah I grew up in Southern California with a lot of metal-oriented people, many of whom fancied themselves as being edgy and loved to rip on bands like Kiss whenever possible.

I’ve known several people like this over the years who have encountered Gene, and I consistently hear some version of the same story that he was surprisingly decent and cool and not at all the obnoxious goober they were expecting.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

So no stories of depraved promiscuity then?
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

A huge factor in running into someone famous, musician, actor, etc... is the "location".

If you run into most rock stars at their shows, back-stage, at their Hotel while on tour, they're in that "mode", and might be a bit short, or not as free, with fans everywhere, business to handle, etc..

If you run into the same guy at the Grocery store, getting gas, or at a random store... the response will usually be different.

Unless you're Scott Ian... who I have seen endless comments about him, from at the show, to where-ever... and he's always a dick!

Gene Fun Fact: Back when Riki relaunched Cathouse, in 2001/2002 ish... it was at the Martini Lounge down near East Melrose area...

So, former Sludge partner Shawn and I went one night when he was in town... we parked a block away, and were walking down the side-street talking Metal Sludge stuff.

As we're walking a guy was a few steps ahead of us, but from behind looked like your typical older guy, dressed nice, etc... I thought he might live on the block or be going to a restaurant.

After a few minutes of trailing him, he was walking slower than us, so we scooted around him, and just then I caught him in my peripheral ... Shawn did at the same time from the other side.

We both kinda looked at each other in shock... we had just been spitting Sludge gossip for 3-4 minutes, with Gene about 5 feet in front of us. Ha!

In the club I said "Hey" and chatted for a brief few seconds, but no biggie. I have seen Gene out more than a few times in LA and NY too, not to mention at his house co-writing with him, on the phone, or in the studio, etc...

He is always very pleasant, very direct, and does not mince words.

I also shared the House Party story on here more than once... good times.

$tEvil
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I know money is always priority #1, but it seemed like Gene was trying to do the right thing with those Vault appearances - biting the bullet and offering the olive branch for a degree of closure with the former members (even though people like Vinnie and Ace never change and continue to show they never change).

If Gene was solely in charge of the band, I suspect he would've made sure more was done to honor the band's legacy at the final show. Unfortunately, Paul runs things and believes Kiss is ultimately about him... and maybe a little bit about Gene too.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
maninblack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by maninblack »

They should do another tour with the originals and make stanley room with peter criss.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

maninblack wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:55 am They should do another tour with the originals and make stanley room with peter criss.
Only if it is 5 years long and it's called The End of the Universe Tour. Gotta think bigger than a damn road.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

maninblack wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:55 am They should do another tour with the originals and make stanley room with peter criss.
Would they get room service?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Gene is a nice guy who pretends he’s an asshole.

Paul is an asshole who pretends he’s a nice guy.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:35 am I've always thought Gene had two sides, he's got the Rockstar side, and then he's got the Chaim side. If he's playing the rockstar role, then he's going to be the cocky jerk that everyone loves to hate, but if he's just being Chaim, then he's simply a polite, older Jew. It's been nice seeing that other side of him as he's gotten older, the same way it's nice when Roth lets hit guard down and is himself and isn't playing up all the hyperactive shit.
I'm a diehard KISS nerd and when I first heard he was going to have a reality show my first thought was "this is going to last like 2 episodes, no one wants to listen to Gene Simmons the guy who tries too hard to be funny (and never is funny) and is just completely obnoxious. I was pleasantly surprised that he didn't bring that to Family Jewels.
That said I was never one for reality TV shows, so I don't think I have watched more than about 15 minutes of the show.

Someone said here or on KISSFaq that Gene's a nice guy who pretends to be a dick and Paul is a dick who pretends to be a nice guy. Sounds about right.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Kiss are still shite.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:31 pm Gene is a nice guy who pretends he’s an asshole.

This. I’ve never understood the hate for Gene nor all the adulation and fawning for Paul.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mojo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:53 pm Kiss are still shite.
KISS, for all their faults, were and are pretty fooking cool. I’ll take them over Cheap Trick, New York Dolls, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC (and I love me some), UFO (I’m a respectable fan), Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, WASP, Dokken and most of that ilk.

About the only bands I put above KISS are The Stones, Beatles, Who, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen (who are almost as big of a clown shoe show as KISS ever was) and Iron Maiden. Maybe the Scorpions too.

All that said, I hate Paul Stanley. Had Gene kicked him out at some point or had he left on his own accord after suffering from LSD, I wouldn’t have shed a tear.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:43 pm KISS, for all their faults, were and are pretty fooking cool. I’ll take them over Cheap Trick, New York Dolls, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC (and I love me some), UFO (I’m a respectable fan), Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, WASP, Dokken and most of that ilk.

About the only bands I put above KISS are The Stones, Beatles, Who, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen (who are almost as big of a clown shoe show as KISS ever was) and Iron Maiden. Maybe the Scorpions too.
I'll leave this here for you.
https://www.test-iq.org/
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Mojo wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:45 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:43 pm KISS, for all their faults, were and are pretty fooking cool. I’ll take them over Cheap Trick, New York Dolls, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC (and I love me some), UFO (I’m a respectable fan), Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, WASP, Dokken and most of that ilk.

I'll leave this here for you.
https://www.test-iq.org/
You put Motley Crue, Cheap Trick and The Dolls above KISS but I’m the one who needs an IQ test?

I love Cheap Trick but they had one big album and are overrated AF. Rick doesn’t compare to Bruce let alone Ace in his prime.

Motley are and always were a poor man’s KISS
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:18 pm
BernieTaupson wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:31 pm Gene is a nice guy who pretends he’s an asshole.

This. I’ve never understood the hate for Gene nor all the adulation and fawning for Paul.
They're both still money-hungry Jooz, tho.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:55 pm

Lame, anti-Semitic comment. Whether they want to admit it or not, most rock stars are money hungry. Religion and nationality have nothing to do with it.

Vinnie is Italian and he’s worse than Gene and Paul ever were. His fans make the Kisstards look like a group of PhD students on graduation day.

Ace, who is Irish, German and far East Asian descent, despite popular fan opinion of him and from my limited, personal experience going to see him live over the last 28 years, is way worse than Gene. Ace is a lot like Paul. He’s a straight up selfish and greedy person, who pretends to be a laid back guy who is in it “for the fans” and “for rock n roll.” When he has only been in it for himself and anyway he can bilk his very limited and dwindling fanbase.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:18 pm

Lame, anti-Semitic comment. Whether they want to admit it or not, most rock stars are money hungry. Religion and nationality have nothing to do with it.

Vinnie is Italian and he’s worse than Gene and Paul ever were. His fans make the Kisstards look like a group of PhD students on graduation day.

Ace, who is Irish, German and far East Asian descent, despite popular fan opinion of him and from my limited, personal experience going to see him live over the last 28 years, is way worse than Gene. Ace is a lot like Paul. He’s a straight up selfish and greedy person, who pretends to be a laid back guy who is in it “for the fans” and “for rock n roll.” When he has only been in it for himself and anyway he can bilk his very limited and dwindling fanbase.
You're right, nationality has nothing to do with it. And of course, antisemitism is wrong. But Jewish or not, Paul and Gene still made an art of swindling gullible fans. Vinnie and Ace are only worse about it these days because they learned from the masters.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:08 am Unless you're Scott Ian... who I have seen endless comments about him, from at the show, to where-ever... and he's always a dick!
It's funny, I've heard countless stories about Scott too, and then it just fucking dawned on me that I have a Scott Ian story that I totally forgot about.

This is at a Mr. Bungle show at Slim's in SF around 1999.

Before the show, I was standing at the bar (opposite the doors), place was pretty full.

I look back and I see the "seas parting" effect. You know you see in a crowd sometimes when someone is pushing their way through a crowd. Except normally you can pick the person out (at least their head). Instead I just kind of see the seas parting like some underwater creature is pushing through the crowd, and its headed right towards me.

I see multiple people doing the "wtf, hey fuck you dick" and look over at whoever just slammed into him thing. This person is definitely not trying to work their way through the crowd in any kind of respectful manner. Then I start to make out this cute blonde chick, kinda tall.

I'm like wtf this blonde chick is just barreling her way through the crowd. Then I realized she was being dragged by someone.

Finally the underwater creature reaches me and I see Scott Ian's bald head pop out of the crowd, chick in tow.

There is not room at the bar for two people at all, and he just straight up shoulders me out of the way and drags the girl up to the bar. To date he's the shortest person who's ever done that to me, for sure.

I recognized him instantly and admittedly was more star-struck than pissed off, so I don't have any kind of tough guy story about it. I sort of just smirked and thought "damn, dude".

The only thing weird about this story is that this chick was definitely tall and blonde, and his wife at the time was definitely not tall and blonde IIRC. And no, I don't think it was Pearl Aday, but I wouldn't have recognized her at the time.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:00 am Fuck it. You guys are cool. Normally I don't kiss & tell. (see what I did there?) Ran into Uncle Gene and Sophie while out w/ my daughter, and he couldn't have been more pleasant - May have to re-think any future contributions to KISS are shite threads. And for the record Sophie looked gangbusters! That's all ya get.
in whistler??
Metal Heart
Taking Music Lessons

Post by Metal Heart »

I met Gene once at a bikini bar / music venue in Pasadena about 22 years ago. If my memory serves me well, I think the name of the place was Pleasures. Union was playing and there were maybe 35 people there. Gene walked in and I immediately recognized him. He walked to the bar and ordered a drink. A coke I believe. At the time I had been a hard-core KISS fan since 1976. It was quite a thrill for me to see Gene out in the wild. I knew I needed to approach him politely and in a non-stalker type of way. He was the only one standing at the bar. I walked up to the bar and ordered a drink. I made sure to give him plenty of room. After I ordered my drink, I said something like "Hi Gene, nice to see you here." Gene kept staring straight ahead and mumbled "Yeah don't make a big deal out of it." The bartender looked at me and sort of winced. I paid for my drink and left. My wife later on went up to him and got his autograph on a napkin. He was nicer to her.

He was sort of a prick to me. But I get it. I'm sure he gets sick of getting hounded by fans. I stopped being a KISS fan about 15 years ago.
"Life sucks, but in a beautiful kind of way." - Axl Rose
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Did he lift your wallet?
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:28 pm
sirthx2 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:00 am Fuck it. You guys are cool. Normally I don't kiss & tell. (see what I did there?) Ran into Uncle Gene and Sophie while out w/ my daughter, and he couldn't have been more pleasant - May have to re-think any future contributions to KISS are shite threads. And for the record Sophie looked gangbusters! That's all ya get.
in whistler??
Nope. Here in So CA.

Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

dmbrocker wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:37 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:18 pm

You're right, nationality has nothing to do with it. And of course, antisemitism is wrong. But Jewish or not, Paul and Gene still made an art of swindling gullible fans. Vinnie and Ace are only worse about it these days because they learned from the masters.

Where did Gene ever mislead fans? He’s always been upfront about his love of money, fame, rock n roll and labia. Is it because of the late 80s and early 90s where he was sounding remorseful about selling us bubble gum cards and fun, cheesy television movies of the week in the late 70s?

KISS fans really are retards. We complain about the merch yet buy it up like it’s the apocalypse sale on Black Friday. I remember during Revenge everyone was stroking their sausage because they were “real” again. Yet, we all bought a $150 coffee table book. Then there were the vhs documentary and live compilation, the tribute cd, T-shirts, fan bootlegs etc.

KISS aren’t any worse than The Beatles, Stones, Ramones, Maiden, Metallica, Motörhead… all those bands, who are supposed to be so much cooler with so much more integrity are a bunch of money grubbing whores too. Those bands have easily parted their fans from their money like the local neighborhood ice cream truck.

No, Vinnie and Ace are just greedy assholes. Gene never lied to us about his drive for money. Ace, Vinnie and Paul did. Ace especially. He always tried to come off like Mr Rock N Roll. But I first noticed Ace’s true colors, while funny, come out on the Tom Snyder Show when he made that quip about us fans crying after spending all our money on them.

Vinnie was always underhanded
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Metal Heart wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:07 am I met Gene once at a bikini bar / music venue in Pasadena about 22 years ago. If my memory serves me well, I think the name of the place was Pleasures. Union was playing and there were maybe 35 people there. Gene walked in and I immediately recognized him. He walked to the bar and ordered a drink. A coke I believe. At the time I had been a hard-core KISS fan since 1976. It was quite a thrill for me to see Gene out in the wild. I knew I needed to approach him politely and in a non-stalker type of way. He was the only one standing at the bar. I walked up to the bar and ordered a drink. I made sure to give him plenty of room. After I ordered my drink, I said something like "Hi Gene, nice to see you here." Gene kept staring straight ahead and mumbled "Yeah don't make a big deal out of it." The bartender looked at me and sort of winced. I paid for my drink and left. My wife later on went up to him and got his autograph on a napkin. He was nicer to her.

He was sort of a prick to me. But I get it. I'm sure he gets sick of getting hounded by fans. I stopped being a KISS fan about 15 years ago.
Well,anyone would be grumpy if they had to drive to pasadena to support Union.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?