Kiss in the 80s

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Kiss in the 80s

Post by Rocker4Real »

Any of you Kiss fans start getting into them in the 80s? Maybe you prefer that era. What are some of your favorite songs from that period?
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Kiss in the 80s

Post by HueyRamone »

I bought Asylum, and thought it was pretty damn good.
Then I borrowed LIU from a friend and thought it was amazing!
I had a dusty old copy of Dressed to Kill, so I checked that out, and it was also awesome
Bought Alive! and my superfandom was sealed.

So 80s KISS got me into them, but LIU is their only non makeup album I still like. Never warmed up to anything but that and Asylum.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

Kiss jumped on the hair metal trend, but this move didn't translate into large-scale success. Desmond Child saved his best songs for Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

SexxAtraxxion wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:17 am Kiss jumped on the hair metal trend, but this move didn't translate into large-scale success. Desmond Child saved his best songs for Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.
Do you think they would have done better if they continued in their 70s style with a healthy Ace and Peter?
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:22 am
SexxAtraxxion wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:17 am Kiss jumped on the hair metal trend, but this move didn't translate into large-scale success. Desmond Child saved his best songs for Aerosmith and Bon Jovi.
Do you think they would have done better if they continued in their 70s style with a healthy Ace and Peter?
Hell no. They did about as well as they could for being ugly old guys by having songs like Lick it Up, Heavens on Fire and Tears are Falling. Ace and Peter would have pulled them into Ted Nugent area.

Just having Brad and Joe back didnt help Smiff with Done With Mirrors. They needed the 80s sound.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

70s Kiss is the classic Kiss.
But I prefer the 80s Kiss.
Lick it up is their best album

You can hear on ‘shock me’ Peter was having trouble keeping up.
It’s a more modern riff and he’s shoehorning a tired drag ass beat
kingbrian74
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by kingbrian74 »

I was born in 74....so the first two albums came out before I did.

So I discovered KISS during the Crazy Nights era. The 80s KISS albums still have that nostalgia-thing with me.

I didn't learn for a while that they were the band that wore the make-up that my older sister listened to for a while after discovering the band.
KISStian
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by KISStian »

I did. I was born in 1977. I'm the generation of fan that saw the MTV version of Animalize: Live Uncensored and was sold. I had no idea there was a makeup version. My older sisters directed me to a box of my dad's old records in the garage and I found Alive! Wound up seeing the band 26 times, meeting them, etc.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I cut my teeth on Destroyer when it came out in the 5th grade, but I didn't mind the 80s. I think it mostly had to do with high school and college and finally having some money and independence to go to shows. Plus, the 80s was a great decade. Otherwise, if that was my intro to KISS, they'd have seemed like older guys trying to ride the younger coattails of hair bands of the time.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

Lick It Up is an amazing album. The title track is the weakest link and that alone says something about the songs on that album! A Million To One is one of my all time Kiss faves!
Just like many fans, Gene jumped the ship during the 80’s and let Paul steer it alone. Paul was great during that era, although he tried too hard to be someone else a couple of times. But most of his songs are great, not to mention his voice!
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

KISStian wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:56 am I did. I was born in 1977. I'm the generation of fan that saw the MTV version of Animalize: Live Uncensored and was sold. I
Funny. I saw that tour, and it was the final nail in the: "KISS IS SHITE" coffin for me.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

I did, I discovered Kiss just before MFTE came out. Wasn't that impressed with that album or the recent Unmasked, so the original band was the real Kiss to me until Lick It Up came out. Probably that's why that album is still in my top 3-4, I loved the sound and I still think Vinnie was a great addition to the band. Maybe not all songs were strong but the album was full of energy and sounded current in 1983.

Favorite 80s Kiss songs? A Million to One, I'm a Legend Tonight, I've Had Enough, It's My Life, War Machine, Exciter, COTN, Not for the Innocent and of course HOF and ILIL even if they're overplayed at this point. Well as Unmasked is 1980, maybe I should add Talk to Me and Is That You?
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

I am a diehard KISS fan from 76-77 (I was 7 years old), and I was into KISS in the 80s as a teenager, but I didn't really come across many 80s teenagers who were fans. Most of the guys I hung out with were into Maiden, Priest, Metallica and the girls Bon Jovi, Cinderella, and Poison. The vibe I got from my friends was either they were barely aware of makeup era KISS and they were dinosaurs from another age or they were a 3rd or 4th rate hard rock band trying to make it though the 80s.

I believe KISS basically made it through the 80s on the diehards that were left from the 70s combined with a small new audience that was a result of the 80s just being so big for hard rock.
Without those two things there is no way KISS would have survived the 80s.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Velvis wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:34 am I am a diehard KISS fan from 76-77 (I was 7 years old), and I was into KISS in the 80s as a teenager, but I didn't really come across many 80s teenagers who were fans. Most of the guys I hung out with were into Maiden, Priest, Metallica and the girls Bon Jovi, Cinderella, and Poison. The vibe I got from my friends was either they were barely aware of makeup era KISS and they were dinosaurs from another age or they were a 3rd or 4th rate hard rock band trying to make it though the 80s.
I liked the dinosaurs from another age even in the 80s. The Deep Purple reunion was huge for me, I was also into old Alice Cooper before his Constrictor comeback, Sabbath with Dio and Ozzy, and some bands like Priest, Heart and Scorps that felt current but had a 70s history.
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:40 am
Velvis wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:34 am I am a diehard KISS fan from 76-77 (I was 7 years old), and I was into KISS in the 80s as a teenager, but I didn't really come across many 80s teenagers who were fans. Most of the guys I hung out with were into Maiden, Priest, Metallica and the girls Bon Jovi, Cinderella, and Poison. The vibe I got from my friends was either they were barely aware of makeup era KISS and they were dinosaurs from another age or they were a 3rd or 4th rate hard rock band trying to make it though the 80s.
I liked the dinosaurs from another age even in the 80s. The Deep Purple reunion was huge for me, I was also into old Alice Cooper before his Constrictor comeback, Sabbath with Dio and Ozzy, and some bands like Priest, Heart and Scorps that felt current but had a 70s history.
It's funny you mention Sabbath, to me they seemed like relics from another age (I recall the Iron Man video looked like a 60s acid trip) and I just was never interested in them. During the 80s I got into Dio and started checking out his Sabbath records and they are the only Sabbath I really like.

I guess there are a lot of parallels to KISS with Sabbath as they progressed from 70s to the 80s. (except after DIo left Sabbath they fell off the planet.)
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Love_Industry wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:27 am I did, I discovered Kiss just before MFTE came out. Wasn't that impressed with that album or the recent Unmasked, so the original band was the real Kiss to me until Lick It Up came out. Probably that's why that album is still in my top 3-4, I loved the sound and I still think Vinnie was a great addition to the band. Maybe not all songs were strong but the album was full of energy and sounded current in 1983.

Favorite 80s Kiss songs? A Million to One, I'm a Legend Tonight, I've Had Enough, It's My Life, War Machine, Exciter, COTN, Not for the Innocent and of course HOF and ILIL even if they're overplayed at this point. Well as Unmasked is 1980, maybe I should add Talk to Me and Is That You?
That is a great choice of 80s KISS songs
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I quit listening to them shortly after LIU.
the band the was prancing around in those lame “trying to stay relevant” multi colored, lame ass stuffed animal leggings was not the KISS I knew and loved.
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

Rocker4Real wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:44 am Any of you Kiss fans start getting into them in the 80s? Maybe you prefer that era. What are some of your favorite songs from that period?
I first heard KISS in 1976 ("Shout It Out Loud") and purchased "Destroyer" in 1977.

There are lots of great songs from the '80s:

"Easy As It Seems"

"Nowhere To Run"

"Creatures Of The Night"

"I Still Love You"

"War Machine"

"Exciter"

"A Million To One"

"I've Had Enough (Into The Fire)"

"Heaven's On Fire"

"King Of The Mountain"

"Tears Are Falling"

"Who Wants To Be Lonely"

"Crazy Crazy Nights"

"I'll Fight Hell To Hold You"

"Reason To Live"

"Rise To It"

"Hide Your Heart"

"Silver Spoon"

"King Of Hearts"

"Forever"
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

risingfarce wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:58 pm
Rocker4Real wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:44 am Any of you Kiss fans start getting into them in the 80s? Maybe you prefer that era. What are some of your favorite songs from that period?
I first heard KISS in 1976 ("Shout It Out Loud") and purchased "Destroyer" in 1977.

"Easy As It Seems"

"Nowhere To Run"

"Creatures Of The Night"

"I Still Love You"

"War Machine"

"Exciter"

"A Million To One"

"Heaven's On Fire"

"King Of The Mountain"

"Tears Are Falling"

"Who Wants To Be Lonely"

"Crazy Crazy Nights"

"Reason To Live"

"Rise To It"

"Hide Your Heart"

"Silver Spoon"

"King Of Hearts"

"Forever"
This is basically a list of my favorite Kiss songs.. Love 80s Kiss
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

kiss animalize was one of the first 80's kiss i heard.i like all of those songs.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

I realized 70s KISS was all style/no substance before I left elementary school.

80s KISS had better songs and musicianship, so I like a few of those tunes.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
KISSRULES06
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by KISSRULES06 »

ASYLUM FTW!

I love me some poppy ass Crazy Nights too
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

This is the only time I feel young again! When I can honestly say I first heard of Kiss during the non-makeup years.

It was Crazy Nights and Smashes, Thrashes and Hits. Then, Hot in the Shade. I liked all of Paul's songs, none on Gene's (not including Revenge, which came later).

All of the singles were great along with a few album tracks here and there. It's as simple as that really.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

risingfarce wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:58 pm

"Easy As It Seems"

"Nowhere To Run"

"Creatures Of The Night"

"I Still Love You"

"War Machine"

"Exciter"

"A Million To One"

"Heaven's On Fire"

"King Of The Mountain"

"Tears Are Falling"

"Who Wants To Be Lonely"

"Crazy Crazy Nights"

"Reason To Live"

"Rise To It"

"Hide Your Heart"

"Silver Spoon"

"King Of Hearts"

"Forever"
Same. My uncle sold me when I was about 10 yrs old. The 80s stuff isn’t their signature but lots of good music from that era.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

I liked early 80s Kiss quite a bit, my favourite being Animalize. Asylum was so-so and everything after that was crap. The Animalize tour with Queensryche opening was awesome.