Why is it that Tom Werman...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Why is it that Tom Werman...

Post by SchenkerFan »

made every heavy metal record sound as if the amps were placed in cardboard boxes? He did it with Motley, with Twisted Sister and with Dokken. Maybe he was fine producing poppier acts, but he sucked ass at producing heavy metal records.
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Why is it that Tom Werman...

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

It was the sound of the 80s, in a lot of respects.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

He was hired to make hit records and that’s what he did.

Sonically, I think Poison Open Up and Say Ahh sounds better than the ones mentioned above. It may have had a lot of cardboard/mid range but it was a wetter sound. More echo and reverb helped.

He got great performances out of the band. It’s Bret’s best sounding vocal. The echo/delay settings are perfect.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:44 am He was hired to make hit records and that’s what he did.

Sonically, I think Poison Open Up and Say Ahh sounds better than the ones mentioned above. It may have had a lot of cardboard/mid range but it was a wetter sound. More echo and reverb helped.

He got great performances out of the band. It’s Bret’s best sounding vocal. The echo/delay settings are perfect.
Open up and say ahh sounds awful. One of the worst produced albums in my collection. It sounds so light. The production on look what the cat dragged in is miles better.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

This shit is so wild to me. LWTCDI sounds like a demo tape. I remember the follow-up sounding WAY more pro at the time.

I seriously wonder if it is mastering or some shit, or like, they made the CDs from the vinyl masters or something, or if modern listening devices are really different.

I've definitely noticed that some of my favorite 80's sounding records seem to sound like shit now. At the time, on vinyl or cassette through paper coned speakers on a consumer stereo, you had multiple layers of tech designed to flatter the sound, and now you just sort of get the raw audio.

Conversely, a lot of seventies stuff that I thought sounded shitty, muffled and old fashioned sounds great now. Not sure if the gear/listening experience has changed or if it is just my ears and taste.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Sleek wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:32 pm This shit is so wild to me. LWTCDI sounds like a demo tape. I remember the follow-up sounding WAY more pro at the time.

I seriously wonder if it is mastering or some shit, or like, they made the CDs from the vinyl masters or something, or if modern listening devices are really different.

I've definitely noticed that some of my favorite 80's sounding records seem to sound like shit now. At the time, on vinyl or cassette through paper coned speakers on a consumer stereo, you had multiple layers of tech designed to flatter the sound, and now you just sort of get the raw audio.

Conversely, a lot of seventies stuff that I thought sounded shitty, muffled and old fashioned sounds great now. Not sure if the gear/listening experience has changed or if it is just my ears and taste.
The Ozzy Sabbath albums are still unlistenable. Thank god for Speak of the Devil!
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

See, I love the sound of those records now...but in the eighties, while I loved the material, I thought they sounded awful.

Psychobolia.com
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

To Werman's credit, at least all of those albums sounded different. Theater of Pain's guitar sound does indeed sound muddy and cardboard-boxed, but Shout at the Devil's sounds razor-sharp, and Girls Girls Girls sounds good too...

Whereas Andy Sneap, whose albums sound terrific, tend to sound a bit similar. It's like he uses the same or similar settings with each band he works with.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I read an interview where Werman said he did not feel they got a really good guitar sound for Mick until GGG.

People gotta realize tho that the guitar sound is not entirely dependent on the producer. They suggest stuff, yeah, but at the end of the day the guitar player gets final say, and if some guy walks in and goes: "This is my rig" and isn't malleable, then that's what is gonna go to tape.

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

SchenkerFan wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:57 am made every heavy metal record sound as if the amps were placed in cardboard boxes? He did it with Motley, with Twisted Sister and with Dokken. Maybe he was fine producing poppier acts, but he sucked ass at producing heavy metal records.
Lol. None of those bands were the least bit metal. He was a pop producer and they hired him because they wanted hits, then they resented him for giving them what they wanted. Never got the backlash against this guy.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Sleek wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:49 pm I read an interview where Werman said he did not feel they got a really good guitar sound for Mick until GGG.

People gotta realize tho that the guitar sound is not entirely dependent on the producer. They suggest stuff, yeah, but at the end of the day the guitar player gets final say, and if some guy walks in and goes: "This is my rig" and isn't malleable, then that's what is gonna go to tape.
mick’s tone is great on TFFL & shout.
Horrid on theatre.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Also, the guitar sound is not independent of the other instruments.

Nothin but a Good Time - Bass and Drums only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujk2FseiAw

Compare that with Juan's isolated bass here on Round and Round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01KDL6m86w

Some stylistic choices were made that aged better than others. Bobby's sound is the "metal bass sound" from back in the day, but it doesn't provide the best foundation to lay a guitar track on.

Meanwhile Juan's got a much more tasteful kind of sound out of that Charvel PJ that's not much different from what you'd hear on a Van Halen Record.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

FreddyFender wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:36 am
Nothin but a Good Time - Bass and Drums only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujk2FseiAw
That gate they have on it is fucking awful, as if the wet verb isn't bad enough. At least it isn't as obvious with the guitars/vocals added in.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

It was the times. Every instrument had to be PERFECTLY isolated and gated and shit.

The worst I heard was on the third L.A. Guns record. They did the drums at Ocean Way, which is one of THE legendary rooms. They got the kit miked up and brought up the channels in the control room. It sounded like GOD. Just huge and full and like, you know, a very expensive drum kit through the best gear ever made (The overheads were a matched set of Neumanns from the fifties with sequential serial numbers. At the time, they were like 20k, now, I am sure they cost more than a house) in A ROOM DESIGNED BY GENIUSES.

...then they went to work on it. Gated the snare down to nothing except the initial hit, then added reverb to fill it back out. Took the kick down to a clicky nonsense. Compressed the overheads in a way that you basically just got the cymballs. Just awful.

It was SO perverse...if they just used the mics wide open, it would have sounded like Bonham or something...but to get that awesome sound and then carve it apart so it fit the standard radio sound of the times...horrifying.

You can really hear it on the intro to this. There is no real room sound, just that shitty reverb on the snare, and the kick is just a tight, muffled nothing. Bleh. https://youtu.be/sJjsblq-YPc?list=OLAK5 ... ILilzBAXRE

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

OMG I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like the beginning of Rocket Queen...
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
rikraffmrktng

Post by rikraffmrktng »

Sleek wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:04 pm It was the times. Every instrument had to be PERFECTLY isolated and gated and shit.

The worst I heard was on the third L.A. Guns record. They did the drums at Ocean Way, which is one of THE legendary rooms. They got the kit miked up and brought up the channels in the control room. It sounded like GOD. Just huge and full and like, you know, a very expensive drum kit through the best gear ever made (The overheads were a matched set of Neumanns from the fifties with sequential serial numbers. At the time, they were like 20k, now, I am sure they cost more than a house) in A ROOM DESIGNED BY GENIUSES.

...then they went to work on it. Gated the snare down to nothing except the initial hit, then added reverb to fill it back out. Took the kick down to a clicky nonsense. Compressed the overheads in a way that you basically just got the cymballs. Just awful.

It was SO perverse...if they just used the mics wide open, it would have sounded like Bonham or something...but to get that awesome sound and then carve it apart so it fit the standard radio sound of the times...horrifying.

You can really hear it on the intro to this. There is no real room sound, just that shitty reverb on the snare, and the kick is just a tight, muffled nothing. Bleh. https://youtu.be/sJjsblq-YPc?list=OLAK5 ... ILilzBAXRE
Blame Michael James Jackson
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I do! That guy drove me nuts.