Was 1994-1995 Danzig’s peak

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ruttu69
Learning KISS Riffs

Was 1994-1995 Danzig’s peak

Post by ruttu69 »

Just found this https://youtu.be/pzjteI9s_80?si=D9WWuHH8lmYCe55X he sounds pretty good here. What happened after this :o
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Was 1994-1995 Danzig’s peak

Post by GoodJudge »

What happened? He changed from playing a character to being a cliché, he forgot how to write songs and he sacked the entire band.

Apart from that, not much.
EatTheGlass
Headlining Clubs

Post by EatTheGlass »

NO, 1992 was his peak with 'How the Gods Kill'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmApf1xt8Vk
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Yes, I guess.

Danzig 4 is a great fucking record.

After that, the industrial stuff started to happen, and it just wasn't as good.

However, I will give D credit for trying to change his musical style up a bit. Sometimes that doesn't always work for the rest of the band.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Creative peak was from 1979-1979.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

I'm pretty sure it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkoldsdVDLo
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Over in our little humble hole in the wall on the internet called Electric Eye resides the preeminent Danzig expert. Someone who has engaged in ongoing and in depth studies and this is what he opines on the subject...

Introduction
Hello, dopehead. Yes, thank you for the opportunity. As the preeminent Danzig scholar of the Sludge and Sludge-adjacent boards, I do appreciate it.

Let me just get my briefcase here. We have a bit of work to do.

Danzig's Creative Peak & Official Discography Ranking
To get to the meat of the matter, 1990 was Danzig's creative peak. 1994-1995 was a deep creative dearth for Danzig and only a butthole with his ears up his vagina would say otherwise.

Don't take my word for it. Here's the official discography ranking:

1. Lucifuge: II (1990)

2. Danzig (1988)

3. Deth Red Sabaoth (2010)

4. Circle of Snakes (2004)

5. Blackacidevil (13 track ed. 1996/2000)

6. Satan’s Child: 6:66 (1999)

7. Danzig III: How the Gods Kill (1992)

8. The Lost Tracks of Danzig (2007)

9. 4p (1994)

10. I Lucerferi: 777 (2002)

11. Black Laden Crown (2017)

"Classic Era" Danzig (horse shit)
There's a fake narrative that the "classic era" (1987-1994) was primo Danzig.

The is wrong on multiple counts.

First of all, when people say "classic" they mean the original members. As if Glenn didn't write all the songs. And as if any jackass couldn't play Eerie's bass parts. Even Huey could play that. Nobody likes John Christ's guit playing. Those people were expendable, and Glenn proved that.

He did, he did.

Glenn did.

Obviously, Rick Rubin was far more important to the band than Eerie, John, and Chuck. And when Rubin was no longer hands-on with the production, the product suffered. The first two records were produced by Rubin. Rubin is curiously listed as "executive producer" on albums three and four, and Glenn has a production credit on those albums. It's not a coincidence that's when things went bad; those albums sound like shit. Danzig benefited greatly from Rubin's creative input.

Thus, if there is a true classic era of Danzig, it is the Rubin era which was the first two albums.

Incorrect Sludge Comments
We have people commenting on Danzig's creative peak who clearly haven’t even heard the entire discography, much less ranked it.

Glenn "sacked the entire band." - GoodJudge

This is incorrect. They quit. Read Eerie's book.

"Danzig 4 is a great fucking record. After that, the industrial stuff started to happen." - TravisBicklesMohawk

This is top of the retartet comments list. The industrial influence began with 4P.

"Cantspeak" was the lead single.

How do you on the one hand say 4P is great and on the other hand prove you've never listened to it?

Preeminent Danzig Scholar Q&A
I will now open the forum for questions.

The Nobleman

https://electriceye.freeforums.net/thre ... ng-danzigs
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Haha! That guy, whoever he is, called you "dopehead"!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

First four Danzig albums are massively better than everything that came later. There's very little filler on those albums, and tons of amazing songs.

I put a YouTube Music playlist together of the best from Blackaciddevil onward. I uploaded the albums that aren't available. There's some good stuff, but there's really very little that even comes close to the best on those first 4 albums.
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Danzig peak was when he showed up at Wilson Theatre 1992 first time I saw him live. Danzig got his goal me showing up

Glad he stopped for me but i was at theatre for White Zombie
Rob got all my money that night - think it was 2 tour shirts and basketball jersey

Danzig > Megadeth Anthrax Slayer combined
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
GreatWhiteSnake

HueyRamone wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:01 pm Haha! That guy, whoever he is, called you "dopehead"!
Why yes he did. Thrice confirmed...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Always loved the first 4 Danzig records, but I've also always been in the minority about thinking that 6:66 is and 777 are both solid. Sure, the industrial influence is still there but not as full bore as 5. There are some good songs on both those albums, IMHO.
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 pm Over in our little humble hole in the wall on the internet called Electric Eye resides the preeminent Danzig expert. Someone who has engaged in ongoing and in depth studies and this is what he opines on the subject...
I remember flicking through the "Danzig studies" thread on Spooge, or was it very early EE? I also remember that Crat and that other big, coloured font guy on EE are insufferable twats (assuming it's not one person playing two characters), and that one of them thinks Suckshitsu is the greatest ever Iron Maiden album. Which is why I only skim through EE maybe once a month or so to see if there is anything of interest from others that hasn't also turned up here. It's worthwhile for the embedded videos, at least.

In the interest of fairness though, before posting this I listened to a whole album from the later era, which Crat apparently thinks is just soooo good. I picked Deth Red Sabaoth at random. Oh dear. Some songs are almost unlistenable behind a wall of pinch harmonics - The Revengeful and Rebel Spirits sound like an old house-phone left off the hook at the end of a call. Black Candy and Ju Ju Bone are lyrical embarrassments. Pyre of Souls was just torture to sit through. The only song worthy of a re-listen was Deth Red Moon. I'll stick with the first four, thanks.
GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 pm Incorrect Sludge Comments
We have people commenting on Danzig's creative peak who clearly haven’t even heard the entire discography, much less ranked it.
OK, they quit because Glenn was an egotistical jerk who screwed them out of their money.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... llica.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Danzig/comment ... _break_up/
It's called constructive dismissal.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

EatTheGlass wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:11 am NO, 1992 was his peak with 'How the Gods Kill'.

And Thralldemonsweatlive in ‘93 with that classic live version of “Mother”. My first exposure to Danzig as a young lad.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 pm Over in our little humble hole in the wall on the internet called Electric Eye resides the preeminent Danzig expert. Someone who has engaged in ongoing and in depth studies and this is what he opines on the subject...

Introduction
Hello, dopehead. Yes, thank you for the opportunity. As the preeminent Danzig scholar of the Sludge and Sludge-adjacent boards, I do appreciate it.

Let me just get my briefcase here. We have a bit of work to do.

Danzig's Creative Peak & Official Discography Ranking
To get to the meat of the matter, 1990 was Danzig's creative peak. 1994-1995 was a deep creative dearth for Danzig and only a butthole with his ears up his vagina would say otherwise.

Don't take my word for it. Here's the official discography ranking:

1. Lucifuge: II (1990)

2. Danzig (1988)

3. Deth Red Sabaoth (2010)

4. Circle of Snakes (2004)

5. Blackacidevil (13 track ed. 1996/2000)

6. Satan’s Child: 6:66 (1999)

7. Danzig III: How the Gods Kill (1992)

8. The Lost Tracks of Danzig (2007)

9. 4p (1994)

10. I Lucerferi: 777 (2002)

11. Black Laden Crown (2017)

"Classic Era" Danzig (horse shit)
There's a fake narrative that the "classic era" (1987-1994) was primo Danzig.

The is wrong on multiple counts.

First of all, when people say "classic" they mean the original members. As if Glenn didn't write all the songs. And as if any jackass couldn't play Eerie's bass parts. Even Huey could play that. Nobody likes John Christ's guit playing. Those people were expendable, and Glenn proved that.

He did, he did.

Glenn did.

Obviously, Rick Rubin was far more important to the band than Eerie, John, and Chuck. And when Rubin was no longer hands-on with the production, the product suffered. The first two records were produced by Rubin. Rubin is curiously listed as "executive producer" on albums three and four, and Glenn has a production credit on those albums. It's not a coincidence that's when things went bad; those albums sound like shit. Danzig benefited greatly from Rubin's creative input.

Thus, if there is a true classic era of Danzig, it is the Rubin era which was the first two albums.

Incorrect Sludge Comments

"Danzig 4 is a great fucking record. After that, the industrial stuff started to happen." - TravisBicklesMohawk

This is top of the retartet comments list. The industrial influence began with 4P.

"Cantspeak" was the lead single.

How do you on the one hand say 4P is great and on the other hand prove you've never listened to it?

Preeminent Danzig Scholar Q&A
I will now open the forum for questions.

The Nobleman

https://electriceye.freeforums.net/thre ... ng-danzigs
How can I know if this is really crat when it's not in a big pink font
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
GreatWhiteSnake

NeonKnite wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm First four Danzig albums are massively better than everything that came later. There's very little filler on those albums, and tons of amazing songs.

I put a YouTube Music playlist together of the best from Blackaciddevil onward. I uploaded the albums that aren't available. There's some good stuff, but there's really very little that even comes close to the best on those first 4 albums.
O Hi NeonKnite!! Welcome to my Danzig thread and witness my triumphant return to Sludge!!

I can see you're posting in broad strokes. Let's cut this shit out.

Right now.

What's your Danzig discography ranking? Specifically, where do you rank the blue and the red?

Hurry up.

The Nobleman
Last Edit: 16 hours ago by Aristocrat
GreatWhiteSnake

LAglamrocker wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:35 pm Danzig peak was when he showed up at Wilson Theatre 1992 first time I saw him live. Danzig got his goal me showing up

Glad he stopped for me but i was at theatre for White Zombie
Rob got all my money that night - think it was 2 tour shirts and basketball jersey

Danzig > Megadeth Anthrax Slayer combined
Hi LAGlam!!

My first time was well before yours. I was on board the Danzig train from the first album and first saw Danzig in 1990 on the Lucifuge tour with Sound Garden and Warrior Soul opening. Stevie Ray V died earlier that day, but we got to see Danzig!!

You and me, we experienced Danzig together in 2022. You were the hottest bitch in all of San Bernardino County, you were.

You were, you were.

Hot.

Special time in the parking lot afterwards.

You a fawnass bitch.

The Nobleman
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

GoodJudge wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:00 am

I remember flicking through the "Danzig studies" thread on Spooge, or was it very early EE? I also remember that Crat and that other big, coloured font guy on EE are insufferable twats (assuming it's not one person playing two characters), and that one of them thinks Suckshitsu is the greatest ever Iron Maiden album. Which is why I only skim through EE maybe once a month or so to see if there is anything of interest from others that hasn't also turned up here. It's worthwhile for the embedded videos, at least.

Quit actin' like ur too good for it. U signed up there, now start postin'!!
WCiezak
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by WCiezak »

The first record probably. The second was one that I was never all that fond of. Danzig III has awesome songs, but they're kinda rudimentary. IV has the tremendous Cantspeak and a few other good songs, but Cantspeak is all I listen to from there. For me, it's one of the best songs of all-time. I bought Blackaciddevil and thought it sucked. Since then I listened to the other new Danzig records when this big fan I know bought them. Never impressed. That first record is probably the best of the lot, though one could make an argument for Danzig III too.
GreatWhiteSnake

RaceFan3 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:53 am Always loved the first 4 Danzig records, but I've also always been in the minority about thinking that 6:66 is and 777 are both solid. Sure, the industrial influence is still there but not as full bore as 5. There are some good songs on both those albums, IMHO.
Hi RaceFan3. Happy Mother's Day!!

You are in the minority on that opinion is because it's wrong. While they share a similar sound, 6:66 is a decent album, but 777 is a song shithole. Please see the official Danzig discography ranking above.

Plus, III and IV are not good albums, supra.

TY.

The Nobleman
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

1. Danzig II: Lucifuge

2. Danzig (I would have ranked it first if not for the strange guitar tone). Rubbery or flimsy is the most accurate way I can describe it. It sounds totally weird and not in a good way.

3. Danzig III: How The Gods Kill

4. Danzig 4

5. 6:66 Satans Child

6. I Luciferi

7. Deth Red Sabaoth

8. Blackacidevil

9. Circle Of Snakes

10. Black Laden Crown

I find I Luciferi to be his last decent album. Pretty much everything that came after that is not worth revisiting after the initial listen.
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

Danzig's Peak is a movie I'd watch. One continuous shot of Danzig walking around with a scowl on his face grumbling about how he should have had Rob Zombie's career, taking the occasional phone call from Henry Rollins and getting into slap fights with the local cops.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

The fact that there's a MASSIVE drop off from the first four to everything that came after means we don't even have to debate this. It's completely fucking obvious to anyone with a clue.

Regardless of Danzig writing the songs, he didn't write all the guitar parts, and even the ones he did Christ added his style. It just goes to show that chemistry is super important, and when two performers have it like Danzig/Christ did, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That should have been respected, it wasn't. The music suffered.

Even on the Samhain stuff and "Lost Tracks of Danzig", the stuff that Christ is on is vastly better than everything else.

Danzig just has a massive ego (no surprise) and he didn't want to admit that Christ (and the other guys to lesser extent) mattered. And didn't wanna share the money more than he had to. Otherwise, maybe he'd have reunited them for the last tour.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

"Goth Metal Elvis" was going to get tired sooner or later. Rick Rubin losing interest had an impact, Danzig having shot his load creatively had an impact, surely band members leaving had an impact too.

A compilation of the best from the first three albums is all you need.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:32 pm
RaceFan3 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:53 am Always loved the first 4 Danzig records, but I've also always been in the minority about thinking that 6:66 is and 777 are both solid. Sure, the industrial influence is still there but not as full bore as 5. There are some good songs on both those albums, IMHO.
Hi RaceFan3. Happy Mother's Day!!

You are in the minority on that opinion is because it's wrong. While they share a similar sound, 6:66 is a decent album, but 777 is a song shithole. Please see the official Danzig discography ranking above.

Plus, III and IV are not good albums, supra.

TY.

The Nobleman
Did you enjoy listening to Danzig more when you were younger and energetic, or do you like those early albums just as much now that you're a fat stupid drunk breitling wearing loser who no one likes?
Last edited by HueyRamone on Mon May 13, 2024 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 am "Goth Metal Elvis" was going to get tired sooner or later. Rick Rubin losing interest had an impact, Danzig having shot his load creatively had an impact, surely band members leaving had an impact too.

A compilation of the best from the first three albums is all you need.
Or just the song “Mother.”
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

FreddyFender wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 am A compilation of the best from the first four albums is mostly what you need.
FTFY
Dee Dee King Diamond
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Dee Dee King Diamond »

EatTheGlass wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:11 am NO, 1992 was his peak with 'How the Gods Kill'.

Wasn't Thrall - Demonsweat Live right around then too? Right before III? The live version of Mother was their biggest MTV hit.