Hard to find albums on vinyl

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

windycitycane
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Hard to find albums on vinyl

Post by windycitycane »

I am trying to locate Wildside - Under the Influence on vinyl.

Have only seen one before, very expensive, and was curious as to what other records are hard to come by.

When did they stop making LP’s for a lot of the hair bands?
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Hard to find albums on vinyl

Post by DangerZone »

windycitycane wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:19 pm I am trying to locate Wildside - Under the Influence on vinyl.

Have only seen one before, very expensive, and was curious as to what other records are hard to come by.

When did they stop making LP’s for a lot of the hair bands?
I’ve seen some “unofficial” pressings of this album.

Vinyl was pressed less and less starting in the early 90s.
Bands that didn’t take off only had their first run printed so they’re usually rare
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

DangerZone wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:19 pm

Bands that didn’t take off only had their first run printed so they’re usually rare
Nobody bought rock vinyl in the 90s and well into the 00s. Think dance music still sold on vinyl, club DJs seemed to like it. But in 90-95 you could buy used Sabbath, Zep and Kiss originals in good condition for 3-5 EUR.

Grunge is notoriously hard to find on vinyl. Pearl Jam's Ten is ridiculously expensive, and I am not even sure if Badmotorfinger and Dirt came out on vinyl back then. There are newer versions of course.

For sludge bands... good luck finding House of Lords - Demons Down or Babylon AD's second album on original vinyl. Even a band like Kiss didn't press much vinyl for Revenge or Unplugged. I had to check, but Generation Swine wasn't even pressed on vinyl until 2015.
Demon Kogure
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by Demon Kogure »

Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am

EUR.

Grunge is notoriously hard to find on vinyl. Pearl Jam's Ten is ridiculously expensive, and I am not even sure if Badmotorfinger and Dirt came out on vinyl back then. There are newer versions of course.

The OG copies are hard to find, but you can get a reissued vinyl copy of Pearl Jam’s Ten for $20 at Walmart.
TREVERLAST

Post by TREVERLAST »

Love_Industry wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am

Nobody bought rock vinyl in the 90s and well into the 00s. Think dance music still sold on vinyl, club DJs seemed to like it. But in 90-95 you could buy used Sabbath, Zep and Kiss originals in good condition for 3-5 EUR.

For sludge bands... good luck finding House of Lords - Demons Down or Babylon AD's second album on original vinyl. Even a band like Kiss didn't press much vinyl for Revenge or Unplugged. I had to check, but Generation Swine wasn't even pressed on vinyl until 2015.
Revenge was a mail order only release back then as well as Alive III. I ordered mine from the back of Metal Edge and they offered cool colored vinyl. Even then I think they were released a couple years after their actual release dates. I recently dug through my vinyl and the last KISS I had purchased was MTV Unplugged and IIRC I bought it at record store. Crazy to think that the last KISS vinyl I purchased new was almost 30 years ago.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

TREVERLAST wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:21 am
Revenge was a mail order only release back then as well as Alive III. I ordered mine from the back of Metal Edge and they offered cool colored vinyl. Even then I think they were released a couple years after their actual release dates. I recently dug through my vinyl and the last KISS I had purchased was MTV Unplugged and IIRC I bought it at record store. Crazy to think that the last KISS vinyl I purchased new was almost 30 years ago.
To be clear, Revenge got a proper Vinyl release in Europe and South America, and then the US release you're referring to. Alive III looks like got a South American release and didn't hit Europe.

Either way, pre-internet, you weren't seeing them in the US, more than likely.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
TREVERLAST

Post by TREVERLAST »

Anthrax442 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 am
TREVERLAST wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:21 am
To be clear, Revenge got a proper Vinyl release in Europe and South America, and then the US release you're referring to. Alive III looks like got a South American release and didn't hit Europe.

Yes, I'm in the US and thought about that after.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

TREVERLAST wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:39 am
Anthrax442 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 am

Yes, I'm in the US and thought about that after.
Still, the European vinyl was not exactly in every store back then and is quite hard to find and expensive now.