People who get called "underrated" so much that they probably aren't.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

People who get called "underrated" so much that they probably aren't.

Post by aznsquirt »

I'l go first:

Jake E. Lee
kytepunches
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Re: People who get called "underrated" so much that they probably aren't.

Post by kytepunches »

Alex Lifeson .
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

Just about everyone since that term is used as a shorthand way of saying look at me my tastes are different to mainstream because I’m so clever.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:13 pm Just about everyone since that term is used as a shorthand way of saying look at me my tastes are different to mainstream because I’m so clever.
lmao. So true.

I've just noticed that anytime Jake is brought up its just a flood of "MOST UNDERRATED GUITAR EVARRRR!!!" and its like, alright, at some point he's not underrated anymore, right?

I suppose Jake probably was underrated at one point but no longer is.

Mick Mars probably is in this camp, too.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

UFO
Thin Lizzy
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Frank Marino
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

aznsquirt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:39 pm Mick Mars probably is in this camp, too.
I'm not sure about this one. I'm no student of Motley, but Mick's claim to fame seemed to always be his tone. IDK, he always struck me as right for Motley but not a guitarist that should be on any "lists."
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Bronny James
He could probably play guitar better - his dad should force him into Metallica
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:24 am UFO
Thin Lizzy
You spew almost exclusively nonsense, but you're right on the money here.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

TooOldToCare wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:05 am
aznsquirt wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:39 pm Mick Mars probably is in this camp, too.
I'm not sure about this one. I'm no student of Motley, but Mick's claim to fame seemed to always be his tone. IDK, he always struck me as right for Motley but not a guitarist that should be on any "lists."
I agree, but that's kind of the point, too. It just seems like it's become hip to talk about how underrated Mick is and how Mick doesn't get enough credit for Motley's sound etc., that It's kinda like "eh, maybe he's not underrated then".
Thin Lizzy
Good ones.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 am
Thin Lizzy
You spew almost exclusively nonsense, but you're right on the money here.
Thank you, Hugey.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:24 am Thin Lizzy
https://youtu.be/sWB8k0CHhhY?si=mA-9qw3IgJtqymMO
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

It's true. Great bands can't be underrated. Impossible by definition. UFO and Thin Lizzy are GREAT bands. For the influence they had on almost all the players and bands that everyone here loves if nothing else. If you want to add two of the greatest live rock records ever recorded by most accounts then please do (even if one isn't really very live). Only an idiot with no concept of music would ever call either underrated...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
GreatWhiteSnake

4. UFO – Strangers In The Night
Iron Maiden’s Steve Harris knows a thing or two about live albums. Maiden have made eleven of them – including the legendary Live After Death from 1985. And Harris has no doubt about what is the greatest live album ever made. “UFO are one of my favourite bands,” he says. “And Strangers In The Night is my favourite live album. Some albums get boring, but I’m still listening to Strangers.”

In fact, Maiden have for many years used a track from this album, Doctor Doctor, as the intro at their own shows. Released in 1979, Strangers In The Night was the final act of UFO’s golden years. Just before the album was released, guitarist Michael Schenker quit the band. But his performances were stunning.

Everyone in the band was at the top of their game. And across this double album are so many great tracks: Natural Thing, Only You Can Rock Me, Lights Out, This Kid’s, Rock Bottom, Doctor Doctor and arguably best of all, the Zeppelin-sized epic Love To Love.
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
GreatWhiteSnake

2. Thin Lizzy – Live And Dangerous
Although producer Tony Visconti later claimed that 75 per cent of Live And Dangerous was recreated after the fact in the studio, as someone who was at one of the shows I can assure you that the album is an accurate representation of the classic Lynott-Robbo-Gorham-Downey line-up at the peak of their powers.

It does what all truly great live albums do: delivers even better performances of stone-cold studio classics. Best of all, it conveys the sense – palpable at the shows – of what those guys were really like to be in the same room with. There must have been 50 people hanging out on either side of the stage, everyone from George Best to various Page 3 girls, TV celebs, groupies and drug dealers, all spilling on to the stage at various moments. You can’t see it on the record, but you can hear the fun, feel the crackle.

A double album, it includes a bunch of the best rock songs ever written: not the band’s first hit single Whiskey In The Jar, but so many others: Jailbreak, Emerald, Don’t Believe A Word, Dancing In The Moonlight (It’s Caught Me In Its Spotlight), Rosalie, Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed, The Rocker, and of course Cowboy Song and The Boys Are Back In Town.

It also has one of the great rock ballads, Still In Love With You, on which Gorham and Robertson’s playing will break your heart. And it has the kind of between-song banter that only a man as charming as Phil could have gotten away with. “Is there anybody here with any Irish in them? Is there any of the girls that want a little more Irish in them?”
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

KISS Alive and Alive 2 are better. But they had tons of good songs to pick from. Guess it isn’t fair.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
BernieTaupson
Headlining Clubs

Post by BernieTaupson »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:14 pm 2. Thin Lizzy – Live And Dangerous
Although producer Tony Visconti later claimed that 75 per cent of Live And Dangerous was recreated after the fact in the studio, as someone who was at one of the shows I can assure you that the album is an accurate representation of the classic Lynott-Robbo-Gorham-Downey line-up at the peak of their powers.
That’s bullshit, they did the box set of the eight shows or whatever it was that made up the album and you can hear everything without overdubs. They were minimal.
str
Opening Act in Local Bars

Post by str »

Richie Kotzen
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:05 pm It's true. Great bands can't be underrated. Impossible by definition.
What? You could be recognized as the greatest band in the world, and also be underrated.

That logic reminds me if how much of a headache it is so say someone is overrated, because everybody says "ZOMG U THINK THEY SUCK? THEY'RE GREAT".

You can be great and also be either underrated or overrated.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

aznsquirt wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:35 pm
GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:05 pm It's true. Great bands can't be underrated. Impossible by definition.
What? You could be recognized as the greatest band in the world, and also be underrated.

That logic reminds me if how much of a headache it is so say someone is overrated, because everybody says "ZOMG U THINK THEY SUCK? THEY'RE GREAT".

This is correct. GreatWhiteSnake is talking out of his arse.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

pieceofme wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm

He does this a lot.

Also, Jake E Lee IS underrated
He’s seldom mentioned by non-musicians.
I’d say Warren DeMartini is underrated as well
Last edited by DangerZone on Fri May 17, 2024 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

What about an album by a band, nearly everyone says AC/DC’s Flick of the Switch is underrated, it’s ridiculous.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
jens

Post by jens »

BernieTaupson wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:13 pm Just about everyone since that term is used as a shorthand way of saying look at me my tastes are different to mainstream because I’m so clever.
Not at all. It means: "I really love this and I don't understand why more people don't."
A lot of people do not have the constant urge to be thought of as more clever or edgier as they are. A lot of people are just honestly, without hidden agenda, discussing their hobby, whether it's music or trains or e-mountainbiking.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

DangerZone wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:25 pm
pieceofme wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm

He does this a lot.

Also, Jake E Lee IS underrated
He’s seldom mentioned by non-musicians.
I’d say Warren DeMartini is underrated as well
Naw they were great players who more than got their due in their day.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:50 pm What about an album by a band, nearly everyone says AC/DC’s Flick of the Switch is underrated, it’s ridiculous.
Second to last good release.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
GreatWhiteSnake

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:45 pm KISS Alive and Alive 2 are better.
Definitely, if you're in Jr. High. Billy Goat Gruff called. Wants his troll back...
GreatWhiteSnake

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:45 pm KISS Alive and Alive 2 are better. But they had tons of good songs to pick from. Guess it isn’t fair.
13. Kiss – Alive!
Let’s face it: the first three Kiss studio albums were clunky. The songwriting was there, of course, but the execution and production most certainly were not. So thank God – or Gene Simmons, as He is sometimes known – for the arrival of Alive!, which showcased Kiss in their element. Even today, the album sounds like World War III – and IV, and V, and VI – in your living room. It exudes authority and aggression, and is imbued with an all-consuming, all-American self-assurance.

When Alive! came out in autumn ’75, Kiss had yet to tour Britain. All we had was a crusty black and white photo of the Space Ace and his smokin’ guitar. But within 30 seconds of Deuce, you knew you were listening to the greatest live act in the world. Alive! elevated Kiss to the level of supreme beings. No wonder we used to have to drink a quart of Cold Gin every night, just to calm ourselves down

Anthrax's Scott Ian speaks for a generation: "For me as a kid, Kiss was just the biggest influence on me as far as moving ahead in my life was concerned and knowing what I wanted to do with my life which was play guitar in a band. Because of that album that’s why anyone gives a shit about anything that I have to say or do because Kiss Alive! put me on that path of wanting to be a guy in a band."

39. Kiss – Alive II
Kiss made their big breakthrough with Alive! Two years later came the sequel, and it was another blockbuster. Recorded on the Love Gun tour, Alive II reached No.7 on the US chart, two places higher than Alive! It was also a better representation of the Kiss live experience.

There are many great moments on Alive II: the pure adrenalin in Love Gun; all the girls in the audience screaming as drummer Peter Criss sings the hit ballad Beth; guitarist Ace Frehley sounding shitfaced on his signature song Shock Me. There is also a killer Ace song, Rocket Ride, among five additional studio tracks that were on side four of the original vinyl version.

The band sounded more powerful on tracks such as I Stole Your Love, Shout It Out Loud and Makin’ Love. The audiences were more hysterical. And the original vinyl-issue gatefold cover opened to reveal the full OTT splendour of Kiss on stage.

Slipknot's Mick Taylor agrees: "It’s not necessarily the greatest but the artwork on Alive II with Gene’s sweat running, the blood coming from his face and the make-up running had a profound influence on me. You only have to look at my own band to see how much so."
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

How can someone be underrated despite being in a national performing band. That right there should rate you as you are and that is being recognized as being very talented.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Metal Sludge
The End All Be All

Post by Metal Sludge »

Thin Lizzy
Really?
I don't think UFO is underrated at all, in any incarnation! They always rock!

And Thin Lizzy? Really? Jailbreak is one of the best albums of all time! There's no one on this planet that doesn't love The Boys Are Back In Town, and nobody who doesn't know it!
And the rest of the album is awesome too.

Neither of these bands are underrated, they just aren't anymore.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

This thread is getting close to the record for the most posts that missed the point of the thread.