Queensryche - Gonna Get Close To You (1986)

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Queensryche - Gonna Get Close To You (1986)

Post by Rocker4Real »

This was an interesting choice as a single being a cover and different from the other songs on the album. Remember hearing it on the radio at all?
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: Queensryche - Gonna Get Close To You (1986)

Post by Love_Industry »

I remember seeing the video once. Not sure which channel but it was on a metal show as VVI Boyz Are Gonna Rock came on right after. First time I saw those videos. Maybe Power Hour on Sky?
Rocker4Real
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Rocker4Real »

I was too young at the time, that's why I asked. Sounds like a record company decision to include a radio friendly song. Don't remember hearing the guys from Queensryche comment on it.
alleyrulez
Platinum Artist

Post by alleyrulez »

great cover.

I remember seeing the video a few times.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Don't remember ever hearing it on the radio, but it was songs like this that made them stand out. It was dark, different and just plain cool. That whole album was a massive step up from Warning,
EuroJR
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by EuroJR »

Very good song. Was played over and over in Sky Channel's "Monster's of Rock"
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

daveg wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:34 am Don't remember ever hearing it on the radio, but it was songs like this that made them stand out. It was dark, different and just plain cool. That whole album was a massive step up from Warning,
True, but there were much more interesting dark, different, and cool songs on this album that would have made better first singles. It was a horrendous choice.
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

Always liked their version. I saw Queensryche open for AC/DC in 1986 and they played this live. Awesome live band back then.
DangerZone
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DangerZone »

First track on the album should have been the single.

‘Close to you’ is cool once you’ve gotten in to the album/band
War_in_D
Slept with Donna Anderson

Post by War_in_D »

There was only one single released, correct? That's strange. The album had many great songs. Walk in the Shadows should have been the single.

Gonna Get Close to You is a great song. And it's a cover too. I always wonder if bands were pissed when the first single wasn't their own written song.

Lisa Dalbello is the writer of Gonna Get... Go listen to her stuff, it's great. Heart covered her tunes Wait For an Answer, Black On Black, Anything is Possible.
HoldenSSV
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by HoldenSSV »

War_in_D wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:03 pm Lisa Dalbello is the writer of Gonna Get... Go listen to her stuff, it's great. Heart covered her tunes Wait For an Answer, Black On Black, Anything is Possible.
It also changes the narrative completely when the singer is a woman . . .
"Copying off of one person is called plagiarism.
Copying off of ten people is called research."
Michael Hotts Ghost
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Michael Hotts Ghost »

pretty sure it made MTV... for sure the local cable channel played it on repeat. To me, it was the worst song on the album, but it grew on me, and I like it ok now.

Saw em with Ozzy on this tour and they were killer.
Babydoll
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Babydoll »

That is a song that I bring up when ones mention how "Every Breath You Take" is such a stalker song. I'm all "oh, that is NOTHING compared to this, listen to it" :mrgreen:
Ozzy Stradlin
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

HoldenSSV wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:21 am
daveg wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:34 am Don't remember ever hearing it on the radio, but it was songs like this that made them stand out. It was dark, different and just plain cool. That whole album was a massive step up from Warning,
True, but there were much more interesting dark, different, and cool songs on this album that would have made better first singles. It was a horrendous choice.
I concur.

“Walk In the Shadows” would have been a much better first single from this album, followed up by “The Whisper” & “The Killing Words.”
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

War_in_D wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:03 pm There was only one single released, correct? That's strange. The album had many great songs. Walk in the Shadows should have been the single.

Gonna Get Close to You is a great song. And it's a cover too. I always wonder if bands were pissed when the first single wasn't their own written song.

Lisa Dalbello is the writer of Gonna Get... Go listen to her stuff, it's great. Heart covered her tunes Wait For an Answer, Black On Black, Anything is Possible.
"Gonna Get Close to You" / "Prophecy" Released: August 1986
"The Whisper" / "I Dream in Infrared" Released: 1986
"Walk in the Shadows" Released: 1986
tooth
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tooth »

Kid-Wicked wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:03 pm
War_in_D wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:03 pm There was only one single released, correct? That's strange. The album had many great songs. Walk in the Shadows should have been the single.

Did they make official videos for Walk & Whisper? I just checked youtube quick & didn't see anything. Queensryche was one of my fave bands at the time & I remember it like some posters above & being disappointed. Album dropped, GGCTY received minor MTV airplay for a short time & no radio play to speak of. Tour opening for OZZY, then that was it, no more Rage anything. Even now, that song still doesn't belong on that record.
War_in_D
Slept with Donna Anderson

Post by War_in_D »

tooth wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:42 am

Did they make official videos for Walk & Whisper? I just checked youtube quick & didn't see anything. Queensryche was one of my fave bands at the time & I remember it like some posters above & being disappointed. Album dropped, GGCTY received minor MTV airplay for a short time & no radio play to speak of. Tour opening for OZZY, then that was it, no more Rage anything. Even now, that song still doesn't belong on that record.
I

I saw them open for AC/DC. They also opened some dates for Ratt on that tour.
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

tooth wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:42 am

nope. just the one video. there should have been one for walk in the shadows. great album
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

War_in_D wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:03 pm Lisa Dalbello is the writer of Gonna Get... Go listen to her stuff, it's great. Heart covered her tunes Wait For an Answer, Black On Black, Anything is Possible.
I like her duet with Boz Scaggs: "Miss Sun". Cool song.
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

MotleyKaos wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:07 am
I like her duet with Boz Scaggs: "Miss Sun". Cool song.
Don’t forget “Pretty Girls”!
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

EuroJR wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:21 am Very good song. Was played over and over in Sky Channel's "Monster's of Rock"
Yup, played a lot on Sky and also on Much Music I believe.
At the time I hated the song, I was still in teenage headbanger mode...