Blind Melon were better than Pearl Jam

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Blind Melon were better than Pearl Jam

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

BulletProofPoet wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:40 am
alexleehooker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:21 pm I wish blind melon had officially released the electric version of ‘soul one’.
My favorite Blind Melon song!!
Love that song.

Weird that it wasn't a hit. It came out only a year after he died, right? Almost no play on MTV. I think I saw it once on 120 Minutes.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Soup is a great album. Very overlooked at the time.

Got moderate play with "Galaxie," then almost nothing for "Toes Across the Floor," then Hoon died and there was nothing.

Did MTV hate them? Was it that Axl was out of the picture so they didn't think they had to promote them anymore?

Anyway, I submit that if there's an Alternative Rock Holy Trinity, Soup should be included.

The other two would be... Turn it Upside Down and Fairweather Johnson? Oof. Grim.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

Yeah, I remember reading in Rolling Stone at the time that although album sales tend to spike when a member dies that Soup did not experience the same boost after Shannon's death.

Found this online but it wasn't the original source for the info:

https://theyeargrungebroke.com/2023/08/1799/

Another odd fact remains hard to understand to this day. Though band members had zero interest in sales metrics after their friend’s tragic exit, even Hoon’s passing couldn’t bring attention to this album. The public’s outpouring of grief when a larger-than-life frontman or frontwoman dies is predictable. What follows is the usual media saturation and sales spikes. But for Blind Melon, there would be no posthumous “bump.” The video for Soup’s second single, “Toes Across The Floor,” reached MTV a couple of days before Hoon’s death. Instead of airing it as a tribute to the now-defunct band, the network brushed the clip aside.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Their bass player was excellent and mixed very loudly.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

kytepunches wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:41 am The only rock band worse than Pearl Jam is U2. So Blind Melon is automatically better.
I’ll take U2 any day over PJ and Melon and I was never a big fan. U2 are like The Beatles by comparison
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:40 am
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:08 am Chip, are you okay? Are you taking drugs?

Had you said Collective Soul or Bang Tango I would’ve been all
“Right on my dude bro”

I found Blind Melon disappointing
Collective Soul wouldn't have been a fair comparison. They're better than most bands period.

True that Demon. If Chip put a Nerf gun to my head I’d pick Candlebox, STP, Primus, KX, Jane’s Addiction, INXS, The Dolls over both PJ and Blind Melon. Chip must be smoking a lot of grass these days. The dude bro is out to lunch.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:03 amTrue that Demon. If Chip put a Nerf gun to my head I’d pick Candlebox, STP, Primus, KX, Jane’s Addiction, INXS, The Dolls over both PJ and Blind Melon. Chip must be smoking a lot of grass these days. The dude bro is out to lunch.
The NEW YORK Dolls? Careful! Folks around here blow their stack if you like them.

All I said was Blind Melon was better than Pearl Jam. Because Pearl Jam sucks. I don't know what all those other bands have to do with anything.

But they're better than Primus too.