El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mattfig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Mattfig »

mopmonster wrote:I'm going crazy! I'm picking up a Digidesign Eleven Rack system tonight.
Those things look amazing! Have fun!
The Best Kemper Profiles - http://www.mattfig.com
The Best Tube Amp Gear - http://www.motorcitymods.com
Liquid Boom Boom

Post by Liquid Boom Boom »

Toro, I gotta know...how do those Max LP's sound? I can only imagine. How many does he put out a year?
PrÎck
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PrÎck »

Got a new Vox AC-15
Gee capt morgan, between that & the tele, you're just a regular, all around asshole.

The AC-15 is cool. I think they're actually made in England too. The nighttrain seemed like it had more drive, but the AC was more versatile. The only thing that kept me from it, was it's too much of an in-between type amp, too small to play with a drummer, and too loud for a bedroom. And I needed small. But I thought the thing was definitely cool. When I was shopping, besides the ac & the NT, I also checked out the AC4's, the 8" & 10". I liked em even though IRL they looked cheap as fuck. As far as "All-tube," or not, BFD. The thing that matters most in my experience, is the power tubes. I had the Marshall 4203, and 3203, and they are a tube power section, with a solid state preamp, and they sound great. A hell of a lot better than a valvestate.
It's definitely a cool amp, IMHO. When I was looking at other amps, and saw an AC15, I forgot everything for the moment and went straight to it.

The thing I still may get, even though I don't need it, is the class 5. That looks like one of the Marshall models that will be worth hanging on to.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

PrÎck wrote:
Got a new Vox AC-15
Gee capt morgan, between that & the tele, you're just a regular, all around asshole.
:lol: That Tele went a long time ago man. Got a Charvel San Dimas that replaced it!

I believe the AC15CC1 is made overseas, probably in China. Korg merged with Vox and Marshall, so a lot of the "lower end" stuff is made overseas. However, the handwired AC15, which is 15 watts of KICK FUCKING ASS, is made in England I believe.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

Liquid Boom Boom wrote:Toro, I gotta know...how do those Max LP's sound? I can only imagine. How many does he put out a year?
It's a true vintage 1959 LP tone. Grab a Supro amp and you are Jimmy Page in a nansecond!
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

ElToro wrote:
Liquid Boom Boom wrote:Toro, I gotta know...how do those Max LP's sound? I can only imagine. How many does he put out a year?
It's a true vintage 1959 LP tone. Grab a Supro amp and you are Jimmy Page in a nansecond!
Toro - where did you get yours and how much was it? These look cooler to me than a standard LP.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

ElToro wrote:
*hrm*.

Page was rockin' a tele with the Supro.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Captain Morgan wrote:
ElToro wrote:
Toro - where did you get yours and how much was it? These look cooler to me than a standard LP.
Max wants $25K for his replicas and $12K for his Stevie D's...
I didn't pay that.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
mopmonster
Headlining Clubs

Post by mopmonster »

I picked up the Eleven Rack last night. I haven't had too much of a chance to work with it yet because I needed to get myself to bed, and I'm currently without a studio computer so I can't really try it out as an audio interface just yet. But it does seem damn cool so far. I won't say I'll never use an amp in the studio again, but I expect to do a lot of tracking with the Eleven. It's definitely an improvement over the Line6 gear I already have. So far I like it best for its distorted and overdrive tones, but unfortunately I find its Fender Twin Reverb model kind of lacking so far.

My Schecter baritone just arrived. I'm at work right now so I can't plug it in, and of course my new guitar comes on the one day I don't have a pick with me!
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

mopmonster wrote:I picked up the Eleven Rack last night. I haven't had too much of a chance to work with it yet because I needed to get myself to bed, and I'm currently without a studio computer so I can't really try it out as an audio interface just yet. But it does seem damn cool so far. I won't say I'll never use an amp in the studio again, but I expect to do a lot of tracking with the Eleven. It's definitely an improvement over the Line6 gear I already have. So far I like it best for its distorted and overdrive tones, but unfortunately I find its Fender Twin Reverb model kind of lacking so far.

My Schecter baritone just arrived. I'm at work right now so I can't plug it in, and of course my new guitar comes on the one day I don't have a pick with me!
Don't have A pick? Man, I don't leave the house without making sure at least half a dozen are in my left pocket!

I have heard a little about the Eleven Rack, but the one causing most buzz now is the AxeFX Ultra. A LOT of tube amp guys I know are talking about ditching their Mesas, Bogners, VHTs, etc..., saying that this takes the place of them all! I haven't tried one myself, not really in the market and i'm happy with my Peavey and Carvin amps and my older digitech processor. I like my clean, crunch and ultra sounds from my amps, and the Digitech has delays, chorus, flange, EQ, compression, wahs, swell and intelligent pitch shifting. That pretty much covers the sounds I want even though none of it is state of the art. It is plenty of grease for me to commence to playing! Not that I wouldn't like to be able to get new stuf all the time, but I am pretty content with what I have too.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

ElToro wrote:Max wants $25K for his replicas and $12K for his Stevie D's...
I didn't pay that.
:shock:

Nevermind. :lol:

Any suggestions on an LP style guitar that's not a Gibson? Dig the tone, not always the feel (quality control is slipping...).
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Captain Morgan wrote:
I didn't pay that.

Any suggestions on an LP style guitar that's not a Gibson? Dig the tone, not always the feel (quality control is slipping...).
Depends on your budget. You can get decent LP copies ranging from Agiles in the $200 range, which are maybe a little better than the standard Epi LPs that sell for $500 or so.

Then you can get Tokai or Edwards Japanese and Korean copies that are a little pricier.

Epiphone elitist Les Pauls are pretty close to Gibson LP Standards iin quality and are a lot cheaper. Then Gibson has the Orville Japanese line of Les Pauls that are also good quality.

Heritage is the old Gibson factory and employees in kalamazoo who make Gibson style guitars of higher quality than the current Gibsoin production line models. QC is a lot better too, you don't have to p[lay 20 to find one nice one.

Then Hamer makes some Gibsonlike guitars, very nice quality. I think the Monaco is their LP copy.

Carvin makes a single cutaway Les Paul typoe, as well as their SC90 model which has been around for awhile, it is also similar to a LP, more like a Junior thana Standard though.

ESP and LTD Eclipse models are also kind of like LP jrs, though the 401 and up cosmetically look like a Custom a little, with neck and body binding and the flag inlays that look like wavy block inlays.

There are a lot more, almost everybody makes a LP knockoff of some kind.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

lerxstcat wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:
I didn't pay that.

Depends on your budget. You can get decent LP copies ranging from Agiles in the $200 range, which are maybe a little better than the standard Epi LPs that sell for $500 or so.

Then you can get Tokai or Edwards Japanese and Korean copies that are a little pricier.

Epiphone elitist Les Pauls are pretty close to Gibson LP Standards iin quality and are a lot cheaper. Then Gibson has the Orville Japanese line of Les Pauls that are also good quality.

Heritage is the old Gibson factory and employees in kalamazoo who make Gibson style guitars of higher quality than the current Gibsoin production line models. QC is a lot better too, you don't have to p[lay 20 to find one nice one.

Then Hamer makes some Gibsonlike guitars, very nice quality. I think the Monaco is their LP copy.

Carvin makes a single cutaway Les Paul typoe, as well as their SC90 model which has been around for awhile, it is also similar to a LP, more like a Junior thana Standard though.

ESP and LTD Eclipse models are also kind of like LP jrs, though the 401 and up cosmetically look like a Custom a little, with neck and body binding and the flag inlays that look like wavy block inlays.

There are a lot more, almost everybody makes a LP knockoff of some kind.
Right - I don't mind paying some money for a great guitar - I just don't want to be paying exclusively for the name when the guitar sucks.

I am very tempted by the Edwards guitars - the ESP "LP" styled guitars look and play awesome. An Elitist Epi is my next pick...
PrÎck
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PrÎck »

That Tele went a long time ago man. Got a Charvel San Dimas that replaced it!
That's not really making it any better :x

I liked the older charvels, and really like the new new ones. But two guitars is too many. And even though they could easily be considered nicer, they have sentimental value, so I can't trade em in or sell em.

Which kind of sucks, because I tend to wear out guitars, and used to play em for a year or so, and then trade m or sell em before I needed to have them refretted.

My Tele is kind of wearing quick. It's an 06 I got in either 08 or 09, and it's already showing serious wear

This was a few months ago

And this is now

Made in china or not, the vox is still cool, you're paying for the circuitry and design.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Holy shit - you put in some wear on that Tele! What kind is it?
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

PrÎck wrote:
That Tele went a long time ago man. Got a Charvel San Dimas that replaced it!
That's not really making it any better :x

I liked the older charvels, and really like the new new ones. But two guitars is too many. And even though they could easily be considered nicer, they have sentimental value, so I can't trade em in or sell em.

Which kind of sucks, because I tend to wear out guitars, and used to play em for a year or so, and then trade m or sell em before I needed to have them refretted.

My Tele is kind of wearing quick. It's an 06 I got in either 08 or 09, and it's already showing serious wear

This was a few months ago

And this is now

Made in china or not, the vox is still cool, you're paying for the circuitry and design.
You might want to look into a Warmoth replacement neck for that Tele, with stainless steel frets. They last a lot longer than brass frets.
PrÎck
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PrÎck »

It is posted earlier in the thread. It's a 2006, 60th anniversary ash deluxe. I got it for a G about a year or so ago, with the tweed case.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

PrÎck wrote:It is posted earlier in the thread. It's a 2006, 60th anniversary ash deluxe. I got it for a G about a year or so ago, with the tweed case.
Nice!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Captain Morgan wrote:
I didn't pay that.

Yah...as was said, the most consistently highly regarded ones are the Edwards and Orvilles...with Grecos and Burny's close in there.

Check Ebay for them, as they aren't sold in the U.S.

The gear page forum usually has someone selling some in its emporium. (free signup).

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Those people are LP freaks over there, so when people sell shit, it's usually pretty choice.

I'm not an LP guy, but some of these Edwards' even tempt me...like the Page ones with the Page wiring harness...

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/index.html

Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Those Edwards models are incredible. The black LP with Duncan P-90s? Killer.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Captain Morgan wrote:Those Edwards models are incredible. The black LP with Duncan P-90s? Killer.
What about this on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDWARDS-ESP-MADE-IN ... 251wt_1092

Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Sleek wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:Those Edwards models are incredible. The black LP with Duncan P-90s? Killer.
What about this on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDWARDS-ESP-MADE-IN ... 251wt_1092
Thank you! I'll keep an eye on this one.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Also, check out www.mylespaul.com for replicas, Edwards, Navigators, Burny's, etc...

Brent Gutierrez is making guitars from $1400 and those Carvins kick some ass.
Johnny Van Wadd
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Johnny Van Wadd »

I've owned two Carvins, great American made instruments without the hefty price tag. I had mine in swap ash with an oil finish on both the body and the nect. Nice wide, flat neck, great fretwork and an ebony fretboard. Both humbuckers had phase switching, which gave it a really cool tone.

I've also owned my share of Les Paul's. There is no doubt about the Les Paul's influence, but what a hefty, hefty price tag. The quality is spotty and they need to set-up even if bought brand new. There is a reason why the older Les Paul's are sought after. I can't stand Gibson at all. No creativity, no innovation, no originality. One reissue after the next. One signature model after the next. How many Slash signature Les Paul's are there now? Ridiculous.

Lots of choice out there. Carvins and Hamers are definatley worth checking out for a Les Paul substitute
Fuck you
mopmonster
Headlining Clubs

Post by mopmonster »

My new babies:

PrÎck
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PrÎck »

I like the gibson. When my wife bought me the tele, one like that was my other choice.

And yeah, it's a tad late for the warmoth neck. I should have taken the original off, and worn out something like that. but then with the other neck, it wouldn't be the same.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

PrÎck wrote:I like the gibson. When my wife bought me the tele, one like that was my other choice.

And yeah, it's a tad late for the warmoth neck. I should have taken the original off, and worn out something like that. but then with the other neck, it wouldn't be the same.
It's called "relic."
BlackieVanHolmes

Post by BlackieVanHolmes »

Indeed. I have an Edwards Les Paul Jr and its the best guitar I've ever played. Im always on the lookout for another one but they're pretty hard to find round these here parts.... :(
BlairSurfInvasion wrote:My dick is hard and I am truly at war with satan.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I just saw a couple LP Junior for $800 at Sam Ash.
Liquid Boom Boom

Post by Liquid Boom Boom »

I was at the Orlando guitar show this past weekend, and I saw a demo of the Boss Eband JS-8... http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... uctId=1027

It sounded great and you can put a song from a CD on a memory stick and then remove guitar tracks and vocals...you can record, and the effects sounded killer. Has anyone bought one of these? Are there others like this on the market? I want one, but I don't feel like blowing $350 on one just yet.