El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by bane »

I just came from the Diamond Amps garage sale. I scored a sweet 2x12 open back cab for super cheap. The Tolex is purple, might have to do something about that, but the price made it too tough to pass up. Picked up a bunch of miscellaneous gack like a bunch of cords, a pretty good sized ATF case, (no idea what I'll use it for, but it was 20 bucks, can't touch boxes like that for less than 200 or so most of the time, I'll throw cords or merch or something in it) casters, rack mount tuner, rack power strip, a few pedals and a bunch of swag. All cheap as hell. Amp company garage sales don't suck.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

DAMN!! You scored, Bane! Good going!
bane

Post by bane »

lerxstcat wrote:DAMN!! You scored, Bane! Good going!
Thanks. Yeah man, it was a hell of a deal. Everything there was ridiculously cheap. I got that rack tuner for 10 bucks for example. They're getting ready to move to another facility, so they were cleaning out a bunch of accumulated crap (like purple tolexed cabs, why they built that thing in the first place, who knows, but I couldn't have bought the speakers by themselves for what that cab cost). I could have kept going, but I made the mistake of taking my wife with me. She started giving me the stink eye once I'd picked about 10 different things.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

bane wrote:
Thanks. Yeah man, it was a hell of a deal. Everything there was ridiculously cheap. I got that rack tuner for 10 bucks for example. They're getting ready to move to another facility, so they were cleaning out a bunch of accumulated crap (like purple tolexed cabs, why they built that thing in the first place, who knows, but I couldn't have bought the speakers by themselves for what that cab cost). I could have kept going, but I made the mistake of taking my wife with me. She started giving me the stink eye once I'd picked about 10 different things.
Ain't nothin' wrong with a purple cab - that just screams out pimp! :lol:
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

bane wrote:
LOL!! Well, better to have the wife rein you in than bring back a bigger pile of stuff and have her explode over the whole thing, I guess. You probably would've come home broke otherwise!
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

I finally ordered a body and neck from Warmoth. They'll be here in a few days... zebrawood on mahogany body, birdseye maple neck with pau ferro board. Check it out:

It's a 7/8 size body, a little smaller than your regular strat, and the scale is 24-3/4". Not sure yet if it'll get painted, or stay natural. Gonna put a pair of Suhr Aldrich pups in.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Where can I get GHS Boomers 9.5s at the best price online? I'd probably like to buy in bulk.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Space Bear wrote: It's a 7/8 size body, a little smaller than your regular strat.
I do not understand this. I really wish somebody would make bigger versions of standard body shapes, not smaller.

I am 6'2" and grew up looking at pictures of people like Angus young with his huge SG, and tons of 5'7" guitarists with their enormous strats...then I see pictures of me playing one and it looks like I am holding a mandolin :mrgreen:

...andybody else? Jim?
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Sleek wrote:
Space Bear wrote: It's a 7/8 size body, a little smaller than your regular strat.
I do not understand this. I really wish somebody would make bigger versions of standard body shapes, not smaller.

I am 6'2" and grew up looking at pictures of people like Angus young with his huge SG, and tons of 5'7" guitarists with their enormous strats...then I see pictures of me playing one and it looks like I am holding a mandolin :mrgreen:

...andybody else? Jim?
It's what Jackson calls a Dinky body size, you consider a lot of guitarists like Randy Rhoads were tiny and wantted small and light. That Warmoth body and neck look awful sweet to me.

But I have a good friend at the Jackson boards named Ron who is 6'5" and likes to play a Rhoads, and that is what I said first time I saw a pic with him playing it: "Hey Ron, I didn't know thay made a Rhoads mandolin!" Hell, I am 5'11" and a Rhoads looks tiny on me!

I think you'd have to get one custom-made, and long-scale neck or the neck would look too smal too. Or, just don't sweat it and play 'em rather than look at pics of yourself with 'em!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

lerxstcat wrote:
I think you'd have to get one custom-made, and long-scale neck or the neck would look too smal too. Or, just don't sweat it and play 'em rather than look at pics of yourself with 'em!
...if nobody is posting pictures, you're doing something wrong. I refuse to be discriminated against because of my body mass. I DEMAND a 1.5 scale SG!

I will not rest until all of my brethren and sisters have 1.5 scale strats, teles and Les Pauls!

choppersauce
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by choppersauce »

Captain Morgan wrote:Where can I get GHS Boomers 9.5s at the best price online? I'd probably like to buy in bulk.

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-gb9-1-2.html
I may not have sold a lot of records, but Ive sold a lot of beer.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

choppersauce wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:Where can I get GHS Boomers 9.5s at the best price online? I'd probably like to buy in bulk.

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-gb9-1-2.html
Thank you! :D
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Sleek wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:
...if nobody is posting pictures, you're doing something wrong. I refuse to be discriminated against because of my body mass. I DEMAND a 1.5 scale SG!

I will not rest until all of my brethren and sisters have 1.5 scale strats, teles and Les Pauls!
I feel for ya, man, but you post some pics as soon as your demands are met! I think it would be cool if you could get a custom-sized guitar but it'd be custom-sized bills too, that part would suck, not being able to graze the used market.
wattage13
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by wattage13 »

Just want to say what a great guy Sleek is.

We swapped some gear and he was totally stand up and easy to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to do another deal with him at all, in fact I look forward to it.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

Sleek;

I'm with you on that. Back in the day I was so pissed that I had a "dinky" when it looked like a kids guitar. When I git that bs BC Rich endorsement, they couldn't do shit right.

I almost started playing that Gibson ES-whatever that had no f-holes.

Buckethead has an oversized LP. LP Supremes are a bit oversized, but it all sucks.

I have an SG that I love, but it's a toy on me. Maybe it's time fora KING V!
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

What is this, Land Of The Giants?
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Space Bear wrote:What is this, Land Of The Giants?
Land of the MEN.

For the rest of you, might I suggest:

http://www.daisyrock.com/

Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Sleek wrote:
Space Bear wrote:What is this, Land Of The Giants?
Land of the MEN.

For the rest of you, might I suggest:

http://www.daisyrock.com/
Ooooh, those are pwetty. And they match my shoes!
Liquid Boom Boom

Post by Liquid Boom Boom »

bane wrote:

What is this garage sale you speak of?

Space Bear,

Sweet looking Warmoth. I'm about a week away from getting my Warmoth V all ready to go, I'll post when its done. I was shocked at the quality of the Warmoth stuff I've seen, and when I got my V in the mail, I almost cried I was so happy.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

So yeah. Me and wattage13 just concluded a trade deal that went super good...my '51 squier for his Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800.

I kinda hated to see the '51 go, but I never used the damn thing, and I needed a "marshall in a box" pedal, so everything worked out perfectly.

This:

For this:

He's a good guy to deal with, for future reference.

...so...who's got an AC30 I can trade for my 5150 head??? :mrgreen:

Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Warmoth body and neck arrived today...

Body

Neck

What they look like together

Now I have to decide if I'm going to paint, or leave it natural with a clear finish. Zebrawood looks really cool when you add color to it.
wattage13
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by wattage13 »

So I used that 51 tonight for rehearsal and it wasn't bad at all. Need to do a real set up on it other than that I was pretty impressed.

Also got an Epi TD ES333 with a Gibby Dirty FIngers pickup in it. Damn that thing sounds HUGE!! That Jet City 20 wt head really responded to the DF, super hot, ceramic toally rocked it.
choppersauce

Post by choppersauce »

space bear do not paint that guitar you will thank me later!!
I may not have sold a lot of records, but Ive sold a lot of beer.
eddie lee roth

Post by eddie lee roth »

I've been playing for less than a year and currently playing with a laguna from there value pack deal I got at guitar center. My question or questions are these to the more experinced players out there what are your opinions on this guitar ? Also would one day like to own a fender wolfgang and what are the differnces between the wolfgang and the wolfgang special thanks for the help and would it be better to just spend the extra bucks and get the american made fender wolfgang
bane

Post by bane »

I picked up a Vox "Lil Night Train" yesterday. I needed a practice amp for the house that didn't sound like shit. This thing fits the bill. 5 watts of tube tone.
bane

Post by bane »

choppersauce wrote:space bear do not paint that guitar you will thank me later!!
Word. Why would you cover that grain up with paint? A translucent would look bad ass on that.
Liquid Boom Boom

eddie lee roth wrote:I've been playing for less than a year and currently playing with a laguna from there value pack deal I got at guitar center. My question or questions are these to the more experinced players out there what are your opinions on this guitar ? Also would one day like to own a fender wolfgang and what are the differnces between the wolfgang and the wolfgang special thanks for the help and would it be better to just spend the extra bucks and get the american made fender wolfgang

Hey man, I've never played a Laguna, so I can't comment. I will comment on the Wolfgang. The Special is the cheaper flat top model. The Standard is the archtop, WAY more expensive model.

I found a guy online at the VHLinks.com site who makes ANY Wolfgang guitar style you want...the Peavey, the Fender, and the Ernie Ball Music man. I got a "peavey" style archtop with a reverse Peavey headstock(try finding one of those, they don't exist!) but I got it withe the Ernie Ball neck profile. I had it painted like an old school classic goldtop. The guy's name is Scott Fletcher. Search www.Vhlinks.com (in the guitar room) for his work, it's truly amazing. I'll post pics of it when I can. He even cloned the new Fender EVH pickups for 70 bucks a pop.(*instead of 180 bucks for the 'originals')

Eddie is charging an arm and a leg for the new Fenders..way out of my price range, but I paid around $700 for the neck and body(unpainted of course). The quality is fucking amazing, and the design is dead on. If you want his email, let me know I'll get it to ya.

Keep on playin!
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

bane wrote:
choppersauce wrote:space bear do not paint that guitar you will thank me later!!
Word. Why would you cover that grain up with paint? A translucent would look bad ass on that.
I should have clarified, anything I put on it will be translucent. No way am I covering up that wood with a solid color.
Liquid Boom Boom

Space Bear wrote:
bane wrote:
I should have clarified, anything I put on it will be translucent. No way am I covering up that wood with a solid color.
I think I saw this on unofficialwarmoth.com? That is badass man, but the neck is flat out fucking amazing. That's the coolest neck I've seen on warmoth by far. What neck profile did you choose? What pups will be going in there?

I will be posting my warmoth V soon...it's so classic looking, a lake placid blue V with white pickguard and pickup rings...like an old classic Chevy or something.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Liquid Boom Boom wrote:I think I saw this on unofficialwarmoth.com? That is badass man, but the neck is flat out fucking amazing. That's the coolest neck I've seen on warmoth by far. What neck profile did you choose? What pups will be going in there?

I will be posting my warmoth V soon...it's so classic looking, a lake placid blue V with white pickguard and pickup rings...like an old classic Chevy or something.
The neck profile is '59 Roundback. I was expecting it to be chunkier than it is. It feels very comfortable, not too far off from my Suhr. Won't know for certain until I can get some strings on there. I don't remember if I mentioned, the frets are stainless steel.

I'm planning to go with a set of Suhr Aldridge pups. Everybody raves about them, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Let's see that V, dude!