El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by ElToro »

That SUX!!!!

Those are WB custom wound pickups.
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Happy New Year.

Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Captain Morgan wrote:Happy New Year.

So where does the Squier brand fit in the current Fender family? Are they the bottom-end cheap ones? I read about a lot of people playing them. Haven't picked one up in a long time.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

Yeppers, the Squier brand is the entry-level for Fender instruments.

They're not as high-quality as the Fender brand(obviously), but for the most part it's nothing that some time, tools and carefully-selected replacement parts can't address(to a point). For someone looking to make a mod-monster(as I suspect 95% of us participating in this thread engage in, in some capacity), you go into the purchase knowing that all you're really buying is wood(not the same grade or thickness in the case of the flagship brand)......the rest(tuners, electronics, bridge) normally hits the trashcan in short order.

For a young musician just learning the instrument? Hard to go wrong.......and at the cheap prices, it won't necessarily break tye bank if it end up just being a passing fancy, so to speak.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

ElToro wrote:Anyone get anything cool for Christmas? I got nuthin' for guitar stuff.
Nothing music related. I did stumble across a guitar that I sold about 10 years ago when I was in a bind. It was hanging on the wall at GC in their "used" section. The manager is a friend of mine, so after I told him my sob story he sold it back to me pretty close to cost and let me put it on lay away. I think doing that so close to Christmas put Santa off bringing me any guitar related stuff this year though.
bane
Threesome with Pam and Donna

Post by bane »

PAF Pro wrote:Yeppers, the Squier brand is the entry-level for Fender instruments.

They're not as high-quality as the Fender brand(obviously), but for the most part it's nothing that some time, tools and carefully-selected replacement parts can't address(to a point). For someone looking to make a mod-monster(as I suspect 95% of us participating in this thread engage in, in some capacity), you go into the purchase knowing that all you're really buying is wood(not the same grade or thickness in the case of the flagship brand)......the rest(tuners, electronics, bridge) normally hits the trashcan in short order.
They can make pretty decent build platforms. I put together a pretty nice telemonster for a friend from a Squier.
Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

PAF Pro wrote:Yeppers, the Squier brand is the entry-level for Fender instruments.

For a young musician just learning the instrument? Hard to go wrong.......and at the cheap prices, it won't necessarily break tye bank if it end up just being a passing fancy, so to speak.
The Squier Classic Vibe guitars are a good value ($350-400) and don't require a lot of modding. Many players rank them above the Fender MIM's.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:

The Squier Classic Vibe guitars are a good value ($350-400) and don't require a lot of modding. Many players rank them above the Fender MIM's.
Squier nailed it with the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe guitars. If it weren't for the super sticky necks on the Classic Vibe '50s Teles, I'd say they're better than the MIM Standard Tele.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Captain Morgan wrote:
If it weren't for the super sticky necks on the Classic Vibe '50s Teles, I'd say they're better than the MIM Standard Tele.

ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Tenacious_Dio
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Tenacious_Dio »

Captain Morgan wrote:If it weren't for the super sticky necks on the Classic Vibe '50s Teles, I'd say they're better than the MIM Standard Tele.
I totally agree. The heavy gloss on the neck & fretboard is the only reason I don't own one. And I'm too lazy to strip it. :|
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Tenacious_Dio wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:If it weren't for the super sticky necks on the Classic Vibe '50s Teles, I'd say they're better than the MIM Standard Tele.
I totally agree. The heavy gloss on the neck & fretboard is the only reason I don't own one. And I'm too lazy to strip it. :|
I thought about getting one in the "new" color that will appear at NAMM this year and having my tech strip it. I'm afraid I'll goof it.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Captain Morgan wrote:
Tenacious_Dio wrote:
I thought about getting one in the "new" color that will appear at NAMM this year and having my tech strip it. I'm afraid I'll goof it.
It's a fucking baseball bat with some bits of metal shoved in the front of it. Stop being precious and go at it :D

Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Anyone know anything about Exit 98 Guitars on eBay? They seem to allude to the fact that they make their guitars, and most of 'em are $300 or less....
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Captain Morgan wrote:Anyone know anything about Exit 98 Guitars on eBay? They seem to allude to the fact that they make their guitars, and most of 'em are $300 or less....
I don't find that name as either a seller or as a guitar brand. Got a link to one of their auctions?

Offhand I'd say they are someone who contracted with a factory in China or Indonesia to build guitars for them, without seeing their actual promo material. Lots of people doing that now.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

Just stumbled onto Granger Amps. Anyone here familiar with them? This guy is building some killer-sounding stuff... check it out.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Never played a Grainger.

As far as Squier, I find the decent ones a bit over priced. The Mexican Blacktop Fenders seem decent for $450, but still...if you're goon mod, I don't see the point.

Warmoth has killer necks for $157. Huge frets, correct shapes... many... all you need is some thin epoxy sealer and a 320 sanding block if you want a vintage feel.

I haven't found a new Fender pick up (other than USA), worth a shit in years.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

The Texas Specials seem a bit fuller than stock, but otherwise I'm with you on this.

Anyone here mod pedals? Fixing to gather the partslist necessary to do the "Keeley mods" to an old DS-1 I've had collecting dust....may as well make it useful.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I just saw that exact pedal mod at Guitar Collector!

Just a few changes and those things come alive.

If you find old Peavey USA Falcons or Predators, they are awesome bases to build from. $100-150, good wood/finish and you can go at it.
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

They sue are....precisely why i haven't let my '92 Predator go. Wish UPS would hurry the hell up with the new tremblock.

I've ben keeping my eyes peeled for them....when they do pop up, gonna snag another one. There's been a few that when the finish is stripped, revealed a flame-maple veneer....talk about odd, being as Hartley didn't so any burst/translucent finishes that I'm aware of.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

lerxstcat wrote:
Captain Morgan wrote:Anyone know anything about Exit 98 Guitars on eBay? They seem to allude to the fact that they make their guitars, and most of 'em are $300 or less....
I don't find that name as either a seller or as a guitar brand. Got a link to one of their auctions?

Offhand I'd say they are someone who contracted with a factory in China or Indonesia to build guitars for them, without seeing their actual promo material. Lots of people doing that now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-PURPLE-PLUM-CH ... 1e60a85a2e
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Captain Morgan wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-PURPLE-PLUM-CH ... 1e60a85a2e
Thanks, I don't know why that didn't come up when I searched "exit98", but it didn't.

I'm guessing those are NOT manufactured in the USA, and as soon as Fender gets ahold of them the Strat-shaped headstocks will go away, so if one of those is what you are interested in, you might want to get it soon. I have actually seen those unfinished single-hum Stratheads before, but I think they were under a different name. I sent them a question asking them where they are manufactured, since their ad does not say. I wonder if they'll answer; I can't be the only one to ask that, yet no questions on the ad page.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

Let me know if/when they reply.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

I will! I'm actually mildly interested in the unfinished Kramer 1984 copy that is $149! That is cheap as hell if it is a good neck and body! I wouldn't expect the pickup and hardware to be much at that price, but if a real Floyd would drop in and the neck and body ARE decent, it might be a great platform. Much cheaper than the Kramer reissues, and since neither are really accurate repros a cheapo you could upgrade would be more attractive than a costly Kramer, at least to me.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

lerxstcat wrote:I will! I'm actually mildly interested in the unfinished Kramer 1984 copy that is $149! That is cheap as hell if it is a good neck and body! I wouldn't expect the pickup and hardware to be much at that price, but if a real Floyd would drop in and the neck and body ARE decent, it might be a great platform. Much cheaper than the Kramer reissues, and since neither are really accurate repros a cheapo you could upgrade would be more attractive than a costly Kramer, at least to me.
I actually like the flame/EVH-striped Strat for $250. Shit, at that price I could get a really awesome Dimarzio humbucker and still be under $350!
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

That one does look good too. They just posted a copy of the black SD Tele that El Toro just sold. It's not a BIN though, it's started at $225 on a 3-day auction.

It LOOKS good, but I doubt seriously that it really compares to the Charvel. They are using "Charvel style" all overt their ads, though, which is technically keyword spamming.

I think these guys had a different name not long ago. My guess is that they periodically get tagged by Fender or Charvel, and then disappear and reappear with a new Ebay account. I'm sure Ebay doesn't care as long as they get their cut. They are definitely violating some patent laws, they have to be building in Asia. If they were paying licensing fees they couldn't sell the stuff that cheap.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Captain Morgan wrote:Let me know if/when they reply.
He replied, and claims they make them here in the USA. Frankly, I don't buy that because of the cost and their use of the Strat headstock alone. I did not say I didn't believe him, but I asked him how he could make them in the USA at that price point, and how they were paying a licensing fee to Fender for the headstock shape and keeping the price that low. I also asked directly if they are assembling Asian parts in the USA. I'll let you know what he says if he says anything.

This reminds me of the Madison amp thing, where they sold a bunch of amps claiming they were made in the USA and people got amps with "Made in China" on the back panel. It was a big scandal on HarmonyCentral. If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is.

But I will let you know what he says...
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

It looks like they come from the EXACT same source as the KMAG stuff:

http://shop.ebay.com/kissmyaxeguitars/m ... =12&_rdc=1

I talked to the Kmag guy. He sources them from China, buys small lots (5 at a time) to fund his mod habits...the EVH/Lynch/DiMartini build-outs he does by hand, but the raw guitars are straight out of the box from Cina.

...I would bet these guys are doing the same thing.

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

I think you're right! And I recall El Toro saying he didn't like his Kmag star body at all, too.
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

El Toro, I seem to recall you saying something about missing your old Predator "shop guitar". Time to lose dem blues..... :lol:

Here's one on Ebay........carbon-damned copy of mine, only the flame maple of the neck is on the bottom(high E side) of this one(and the fact that my switch tip is still intact):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Predator-ear ... 3cb3beb6c7

Currently at something like $60.......if it wasn't for coming off the holidays, this would be MINE right now.
choppersauce
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by choppersauce »

I scored this Eden MBX monitor this weekend for $250.00

I may not have sold a lot of records, but Ive sold a lot of beer.