El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MCSmallDink_
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by MCSmallDink_ »

Thanks lerxstcat! That's good news to hear. I bought them each an inexpensive guitar when they were still in grade school... it's what they learned with. They have now shown that they are dedicated to it and have progressed to the stage where I've recognized that they need a step up in their gear. I don't have the dough to fork out for the real deal..... they won't complain that the cutaway and head stock are slightly different.

To my untrained eye they do lock fairly solid for the money. I think what immediately struck me was that the quality of the wood (flames, etc.) and paint looked a lot better than the other LP knock-offs I've seen.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

I just saw a Yamaha T6 (Soldano) for $300!
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
choppersauce

Post by choppersauce »

ElToro wrote:I just saw a Yamaha T6 (Soldano) for $300!

if it works buy it!!
I may not have sold a lot of records, but Ive sold a lot of beer.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

MCSmallDink_ wrote:Thanks lerxstcat! That's good news to hear. I bought them each an inexpensive guitar when they were still in grade school... it's what they learned with. They have now shown that they are dedicated to it and have progressed to the stage where I've recognized that they need a step up in their gear. I don't have the dough to fork out for the real deal..... they won't complain that the cutaway and head stock are slightly different.

To my untrained eye they do lock fairly solid for the money. I think what immediately struck me was that the quality of the wood (flames, etc.) and paint looked a lot better than the other LP knock-offs I've seen.
They do look good. My LP copy is a black beauty and my SG-style is transparent cherry mahogany, so I haven't seen the flames in person. On a guitar at this price point the flame tops are probably 1/8" veneer, but that's better than a photo flame. The fit and finish are IMO a little better than Epiphones and really as nice as on my 1977 Gibson. Just unbeatable at this price point. I had an Epi G400 which is the nicest SG copy by Epiphone and it was pretty nice, but the Agile just smokes it for fit and finish. The inlays on the Epi were plain plastic - no attempt to look like mother of pearl. The Agile SG has REAL mother of pearl, and the LP copy says pearloid but it looks real as well.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

If you are hesitant, I'm selling a GTX36 LP Custom Black Beauty for $300... rock solid.
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Bueller... Bueller...
Suite 16 Guitarist
Recording Your Demo

Post by Suite 16 Guitarist »

Bought a Peavey Backstage Chorus 208 from friend for $75.00...told me that even though its solid state, its worth more...it sounds pretty good...anyone have opinoins/ owned one?
skunklovestiger wrote: Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
UtahRatt wrote:Doug Marks is how I learned to make an escape proof back patio for a cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov4LQFSQ58
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I always like the saturation of Peavey practice amps.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Anybody try Seven Sisters pedals?
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Suite 16 Guitarist wrote:Bought a Peavey Backstage Chorus 208 from friend for $75.00...told me that even though its solid state, its worth more...it sounds pretty good...anyone have opinoins/ owned one?
Is it made in USA or China? The USA amps are a lot nicer. I have a mid-90s Bandit Transtube combo with a Sheffield 12" speaker. 80 watts with the 12" at 8 ohms and 100 watts at 4 ohms with an 8-ohm 412 cab added. I paid $89 for it but I've seen 'em go for up to $150 so I scored!

Your amp has 2 8" speakers and is probably 15 watts per channel, so it's probably worth $75 but not any more. Maybe someone ONE time paid more on Ebay, but I think the going rate would be $50-$75. Nice little practrice amp though. If it's working now it'll probably work indefinitely if you don't drop it off a roof or some such mishap.
Suite 16 Guitarist
Recording Your Demo

Post by Suite 16 Guitarist »

Is it made in USA or China? .[/quote]

Says MADE IN U.S.A. by the power button...back reads "25 Watts 14.1V RMS 8 OHM Min. Load Each Channel". Surprised how loud it can get.
skunklovestiger wrote: Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
UtahRatt wrote:Doug Marks is how I learned to make an escape proof back patio for a cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ov4LQFSQ58
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

OK...the Predator's put back together. Ended up swapping out the stock bridge s/c for a Duncan PHR....hot wound bastard, 24.42K.

Don't know what happened durting the re-assembly process,but the damn thing SOUNDS better than it ever has during it's existence...and this was realized BEFORE the pup swap. Doesn't make any sense, but but not looking a gift horse in the mouth...other than some new s/c's for the neck/mid(some fat-wound A2/A5's), new tuners, pots, a micro/switch(to coil-split the bridge), and a new nut....think that's all I'm going to do to this one.

Ended up exchanging the tremblock for one of GFS's VEH bridge pups(zebra) for my LP clone. Wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it does...pleasantly surprised, to say the least. Will be purchasing the matching neck pup next week.

Anyone have any experience with this guy?
http://www.tonemojo.com ........he's in-state to me(Indiana), and the Esquire mod deal he has really makes me wanna try it on my Tele Custom/Thinline hybrid. Would have to run another 3-way switch to accomplish this, but not concerned about drilling a small hole.
Last edited by PAF Pro on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Yeah, 2 8" speakers will generate some level. I used to have a Decade with just 1 8" speaker and it was almost loud enough to jam with a drummer. Those amps are rugged as fuck too! Sounds like a keeper!
MCSmallDink_

Post by MCSmallDink_ »

ElToro wrote:If you are hesitant, I'm selling a GTX36 LP Custom Black Beauty for $300... rock solid.

Thanks man but the boys are deadset on the color that they want. One wants a white one and the other wants a suburst (either tobacco or cherry).
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

lerxstcat wrote:Yeah, 2 8" speakers will generate some level. I used to have a Decade with just 1 8" speaker and it was almost loud enough to jam with a drummer. Those amps are rugged as fuck too! Sounds like a keeper!
Prrrft. You guys and your girly little amps.

MY Peavey is an early '80's L.A. 400. It puts out 180 watts through a single 12" Black Widow speaker.

I don't know if it will keep up with a drummer, because the last couple I tried to use it with exploded.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Sleek wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:Yeah, 2 8" speakers will generate some level. I used to have a Decade with just 1 8" speaker and it was almost loud enough to jam with a drummer. Those amps are rugged as fuck too! Sounds like a keeper!

MY Peavey is an early '80's L.A. 400. It puts out 180 watts through a single 12" Black Widow speaker.

I don't know if it will keep up with a drummer, because the last couple I tried to use it with exploded.
Yeah, that's a great pedal steel amp! I also have a Peavey Triumph 60-watt tube combo, nice 3-channel precurser of the Ultra, as well as a Bandit 112 combo. Neither are near as loud as yours, but they're still pretty fucking loud, and Peavey gear is all but bulletproof.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Triumphs ROCK!
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

lerxstcat wrote:
Sleek wrote:

Yeah, that's a great pedal steel amp! I also have a Peavey Triumph 60-watt tube combo, nice 3-channel precurser of the Ultra, as well as a Bandit 112 combo. Neither are near as loud as yours, but they're still pretty fucking loud, and Peavey gear is all but bulletproof.
Yeah, I use it for pedal steel, and it does rule for that.

I have also used for keyboards, and one gig when my halkf-stack went down...if it had a decent distorted sound, it would be the ultimate amp!

...but it doesn't, lol.

I also got a 5150. I loves me some PV.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I may trade an Iceman foe a 3120 this evening.. we shall see...
Nemesis72
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Nemesis72 »

What do you guys think of that Kemper amp copying emulator?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2011 ... _Demo.aspx

Pretty cool unit in my eyes I would love to test drive one. Opinions?
"A time comes when silence is betrayal."
- Martin Luther King
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

ElToro wrote:Triumphs ROCK!

YEs, the do...a buddy picked one up (the 60-watter) for $50 a month ago, he replaced the speaker and repaired a wire connector....other than a cleanup, that little bastard SCREAMS!

Not quite on the level of his hot-rodded Mace, but it rocks.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I'd love to keep one of those at the office... $50!!!!! Lucky bastard.

I got the 3120 for my son. Another semester of straight A's, so he earned it.

Here's a video of him a few months ago at 14: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/vide ... 3&comments
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

PAF Pro wrote:
ElToro wrote:Triumphs ROCK!

YEs, the do...a buddy picked one up (the 60-watter) for $50 a month ago, he replaced the speaker and repaired a wire connector....other than a cleanup, that little bastard SCREAMS!

Not quite on the level of his hot-rodded Mace, but it rocks.
Fuck, I'm jealous! Well, he had to fix it though. I have 2, a P.A.G. which has a separate EQ for the drive channels, and the regular Triumph which has shared EQ. Paid about $200 for each of them and they're SO worth it! Each is a 1x12" combo but they will drive the hell out of 2 412 cabs if you unplug the internal speaker - or they're loud as fuck even just with the internal 12", but I like a 412 for more bass! It's really a batter amp than the Mace, the Mace is just louder but has a solid state preamp so it doesn't sound as good. Well, depends on what he's preamping into the Mace. If it sounds better than the Triumph he can't be using the mnace preamp alone!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I cranked up the 3120... AMAZING TONE! That thing KILLS!

I set him up in stereo w/ a Krank Rev Jr and it's freaking fun for days.
Space Bear
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Space Bear »

PAF Pro wrote:Anyone have any experience with this guy?
http://www.tonemojo.com ........he's in-state to me(Indiana), and the Esquire mod deal he has really makes me wanna try it on my Tele Custom/Thinline hybrid. Would have to run another 3-way switch to accomplish this, but not concerned about drilling a small hole.
I think he's a regular at the mylespaul forum. Never bought any of his stuff.
my bestest friend ever deathcurse wrote:Space Bear is boring. He'll cry about this and I won't read it because he just sucks and makes me want to get hit by a car.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

He's definitely on www.mylespaul.com and I understand he's making it easy for do it yourselfers...
PAF Pro
Showcasing for A&R Reps

Post by PAF Pro »

Guys, this is my buddy with the Mace and the Triumph.....he yaps a lot in this one, but just listen to this and his other clips...that Mace has came a LONG way.

Keep telling him to move it away fro his old lady's wall of Barbies..LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXpTGCx3sOc

I know, helps if I post the link......understand, he's pretty much a souther-rock guy and has ZERO interest in hair metal....but that amp has came a LONG way.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

If you want to hear the amp, go to the 5 minute mark... he has a Triumph clip that sounds pretty decent too.
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Seems like a nice good old boy who knows how to work on 'em. I was surprised at how good the Mace sounds. The Triumph, sounds about right if his pre-gain knobs need replacing that it's the source of the noise. They are sweet amps though, pretty much the great-granddaddy of the 3120 that El Toro just got for his son. Late 80s - early 90s 3-channel tube amps, then came the Ultras, XXX, JSX, and the 3120.
wattage13
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by wattage13 »

Toro those 3120's are great , the new XXX. If it hasn't been dne yet get it a proper biasing, they are rather cold from the factory.