El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

OD3X1
Playing Frat Parties

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by OD3X1 »

Anyone interested in a Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer pedal?
wattage13
Signed One Album Deal on Indy Label

Post by wattage13 »

I have a Tweaker 15, love it. Just change out the stock tubes when you can they are pretty low end. I put in Tung Sol's and it so much better sounding.
Captain Morgan
Kenny Loggins

Post by Captain Morgan »

wattage13 wrote:I have a Tweaker 15, love it. Just change out the stock tubes when you can they are pretty low end. I put in Tung Sol's and it so much better sounding.
Heard a lot of positive things so far - I hope I get to try one out...
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act
Location: Standing in the Winner's Circle with the Gold Ring kissed.

Post by ElToro »

I just bought one of these to pre/buffer my whole signal. Unfortunately, I hit the headphone rather than the guitar auction, but that's easy enough to fix... same circuit.
Darwin says "let him die."
www.myspace.com/kingeltorothebull
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19dWs0pOAKc
1988 Good Times, damn good times...
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

pedal board prototype... no more messing around...
poizond13 wrote: I am not obsessed with anyone. If you disagree, find me the proof. Find any post that indicates that I'm obsessed with Poison.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

uh-oh.. a new gold project:
Triumph
Headlining Clubs

Post by Triumph »

Anyone have any input on the new Vai Legacy 3 amps?

The VERY FEW demos I've seen on youtube sound incredible, but man there's so little out there on it. I know it's new, but I've always loved the tone players get out of Legacy's. The scalable wattage is a major plus for smaller venues and to be so compact with the option of maxing out at 100W is very nice.

$900 for lightweight with great tone and 100 scalable watts. Seems like a no brainer. Basically, I'm saying....talk me out of it. :P

Anyone plug in through one yet?

lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

TriumphTheInsultComicDog wrote:Anyone have any input on the new Vai Legacy 3 amps?

The VERY FEW demos I've seen on youtube sound incredible, but man there's so little out there on it. I know it's new, but I've always loved the tone players get out of Legacy's. The scalable wattage is a major plus for smaller venues and to be so compact with the option of maxing out at 100W is very nice.

$900 for lightweight with great tone and 100 scalable watts. Seems like a no brainer. Basically, I'm saying....talk me out of it. :P

I have NOT heard of any issues or problems with the Legacy 3 - BUT there were some issues with the original Legacy, and Carvin has been known to have problems before on some of their first-runs of various amps like the MTS3200 as well - which was very similar to the original Legacy. I also had 2 different VM100s, the series before they split the same design off to be both the Legacy and the MTS3200. The Series II sounded a lot better that the Series I to me, though neither actually had any issues. Both amps could switch between EL34s and 6L6s, but the switch for the Series II was on the outside of the chassis. On the Series I you actually had to pull the head out of the shell to get to that, which I thought was a little inconvenient.

So, little things like that make me think with Carvin, which does make fine amps, maybe wait a year or so to see if issues surface and are dealt with. Because until they become known issues, customer service can have a tendency to tell you you're imagining there's a problem. I just don't like to be that guy who has to argue about it in the beginning, and I learned this with the early X-amps in the early 80s. They were dicks at first about the channel-switching relays giving problems, then once it became a known thing they just took it in and fixed it for free with a smile.

I love Carvins and swear by them, that's just the good, the bad and the ugly. There might not be a thing wrong with these, but I would wait and see. Or maybe check out the V3M which has been out a little longer. It's only 50 watts though, but that's pretty loud!
Triumph
Headlining Clubs

Post by Triumph »

lerxstcat wrote:
TriumphTheInsultComicDog wrote:Anyone have any input on the new Vai Legacy 3 amps?

I have NOT heard of any issues or problems with the Legacy 3 - BUT there were some issues with the original Legacy, and Carvin has been known to have problems before on some of their first-runs of various amps like the MTS3200 as well - which was very similar to the original Legacy. I also had 2 different VM100s, the series before they split the same design off to be both the Legacy and the MTS3200. The Series II sounded a lot better that the Series I to me, though neither actually had any issues. Both amps could switch between EL34s and 6L6s, but the switch for the Series II was on the outside of the chassis. On the Series I you actually had to pull the head out of the shell to get to that, which I thought was a little inconvenient.

So, little things like that make me think with Carvin, which does make fine amps, maybe wait a year or so to see if issues surface and are dealt with. Because until they become known issues, customer service can have a tendency to tell you you're imagining there's a problem. I just don't like to be that guy who has to argue about it in the beginning, and I learned this with the early X-amps in the early 80s. They were dicks at first about the channel-switching relays giving problems, then once it became a known thing they just took it in and fixed it for free with a smile.

I love Carvins and swear by them, that's just the good, the bad and the ugly. There might not be a thing wrong with these, but I would wait and see. Or maybe check out the V3M which has been out a little longer. It's only 50 watts though, but that's pretty loud!

I've never owned a Carvin product but I know they produce stellar quality. I looked today and there are a few more decent Youtube sound clips of the amp. I will probably pull the trigger someday soon down the line when my guitar build is completed and I put some space after that. I'm building a Tele Thinline from the ground up and I'm about 4 months into the process. Not cheap but going to be very worth it. I've looked into the V3 but it's tone to me, and judging by a lot of user comments is very "fizzy". The new legacy just possesses a nice dirty crunch that I don't see coming out of many amps these days, and the scalable power is now easily accessible on the back. Although the 1st guy's playing kinda ruins it....you get the idea with these clips. It's very warm and snarly with an even distortion which is what I'm looking for. Throwing in some nice Lollar pickups and the neck tone is important, so the clean channel (a total afterthought on most good "rock amps" these days) nails it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2Fjj8pdbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSURbhuu ... re=related
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Sooo...

I was talking about putting a GFS retrotron Nashville in one of my geetars a bit up the thread...I did and here is what it sounded like the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKxlzsXdgA

That guitar in the clip is REALLY hard to get articulation out of, because it's a giant piece of wood (It's a Gretsch sized solid body~weighs more than an LP custom)

I had the Duncan Slash pups in there, and they weren't doing it. Then I tried an Antiquity mini-hum, and that didn't do it...the GFS did. (There's a little noodling after the 4:52 mark if you wanna see that stuff.)

I have Retrotron Humbuckers (2 have Liverpools, one has the Nashville) in 3 guitars now...and they all have the same excellent cutting midrange...they are *really* good for getting a guitar to cut in a '70's sort of way. If you have any guitars that need a crunchy mid, I suggest them.

They look cool, too :mrgreen:
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

T.O.N. of green
Playing Frat Parties

Post by T.O.N. of green »

TriumphTheInsultComicDog wrote:
lerxstcat wrote:

I've never owned a Carvin product but I know they produce stellar quality. I looked today and there are a few more decent Youtube sound clips of the amp. I will probably pull the trigger someday soon down the line when my guitar build is completed and I put some space after that. I'm building a Tele Thinline from the ground up and I'm about 4 months into the process. Not cheap but going to be very worth it. I've looked into the V3 but it's tone to me, and judging by a lot of user comments is very "fizzy". The new legacy just possesses a nice dirty crunch that I don't see coming out of many amps these days, and the scalable power is now easily accessible on the back. Although the 1st guy's playing kinda ruins it....you get the idea with these clips. It's very warm and snarly with an even distortion which is what I'm looking for. Throwing in some nice Lollar pickups and the neck tone is important, so the clean channel (a total afterthought on most good "rock amps" these days) nails it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE2Fjj8pdbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSURbhuu ... re=related

Despite the fact that it looks like a cross between and old amateur radio and a bread toaster, it looks like a decent amp for the money. I just can't warm up to that retro appliance look though.

One interesting thing i did notice is that they claim this amp is "lightest 100w in the industry" . Normally with tube amps a big factor in weight is attributed to your transformers. Beefier transformers mean a better amp. When they say "lightest 100w in the industry" I wonder if they might have used lightweight transformers. If thats the case this amp might lack some low end balls when cranked up.
Last edited by T.O.N. of green on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
kirkd666
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by kirkd666 »

I just got a laney pro series one aor 100w head....it's the one with 6 knobs....been messing around with it....haven't yet found a setting I'm in love with....anybody have some experience with one?
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

kirkd666 wrote:I just got a laney pro series one aor 100w head....it's the one with 6 knobs....been messing around with it....haven't yet found a setting I'm in love with....anybody have some experience with one?
I used to have a 30w version that Tony Krank modded and it became the most amazing amp ever! Sadly, a friend kind of "keeps it borrowed."

Great parts, just get some relief on the negative feedback loop and you'll be in love.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Sleek wrote:Sooo...

I was talking about putting a GFS retrotron Nashville in one of my geetars a bit up the thread...I did and here is what it sounded like the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRKxlzsXdgA

That guitar in the clip is REALLY hard to get articulation out of, because it's a giant piece of wood (It's a Gretsch sized solid body~weighs more than an LP custom)

I had the Duncan Slash pups in there, and they weren't doing it. Then I tried an Antiquity mini-hum, and that didn't do it...the GFS did. (There's a little noodling after the 4:52 mark if you wanna see that stuff.)

I have Retrotron Humbuckers (2 have Liverpools, one has the Nashville) in 3 guitars now...and they all have the same excellent cutting midrange...they are *really* good for getting a guitar to cut in a '70's sort of way. If you have any guitars that need a crunchy mid, I suggest them.

They look cool, too :mrgreen:
That is a nice set up! I may need to buy a set and toy with them. What exactly was your rig that night?
T.O.N. of green
Playing Frat Parties

Post by T.O.N. of green »

Ordered a new Warmoth CBS style neck for the strat. Rosewood on maple 6105 stainless frets and a fatback contour. WooooWee :D Here she is ready for a coat of nitro.

Sleek

Post by Sleek »

It was pretty complicated...guitar into Marshall 2x12 TSL combo on the Rhythm channel :mrgreen:

I'm thinking of getting a midi switcher or maybe a bradshaw loop rig to hold up my lyric sheets.

Used a freq boost treble booster for leady bits.

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Sleek wrote:It was pretty complicated...guitar into Marshall 2x12 TSL combo on the Rhythm channel :mrgreen:

I'm thinking of getting a midi switcher or maybe a bradshaw loop rig to hold up my lyric sheets.

Used a freq boost treble booster for leady bits.
What kind of guitar was that?

I just listed to the Hot Liverpool GFS soundclip... I think that's my next p/u buy!
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

It's a guitar I had made in the '90's...it is literally the size of a Byrdland, but all solid wood. Weighs a ton, but I have never noticed...because you know...not a wuss.

Built in lots of innovative features...like, there's routs behind the heel that make it accessable up to the 24th fret, even though it's a single-cut...and simple stuff, like two strap buttons so it doesn't fall over if you lean it against an amp, lol.

I was gonna have Roman build me the same sort of thing, only Ric shaped, gave him...I think $300 to buy wood, and he just never made the damned thing, then he moved. That was about 12 years ago :cry:

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Post some pics of her... she looks cool in the video. I just got a text that I may have acquired "The Pansy Killer!"
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

C'mon, Sleek! Post the pic!

I scored hard on a Craigslist sale today. For $50 I bought a Quadraverb, a Butler Tube Driver, an SPX90, a Sonic Maximizer 411 and a Rolls RP93!
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I got the V via UPS yesterday! This is gonna be fun!
ROADHEAD
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by ROADHEAD »

I play in a band and work in radio. Two things I really hate are listening to radio people talk about radio and musicians talk about gear. It just seems both are talking just to prove their knowledge of the topic. With both groups, I'd rather talk about the reason I do both.. music. Not that there's anything wrong with gearpigs and radio junkies...
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

ROADHEAD wrote:I play in a band and work in radio. Two things I really hate are listening to radio people talk about radio and musicians talk about gear. It just seems both are talking just to prove their knowledge of the topic. With both groups, I'd rather talk about the reason I do both.. music. Not that there's anything wrong with gearpigs and radio junkies...
Well you should fuck off out of this thread then.

Personally, I hate hearing idiots talk about Kiss, so I stay away from those threads...then again, I am not an idiot.

I suppose it's harder to stay away from shit you're not going to like if you are.

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Sleek wrote:
ROADHEAD wrote:I play in a band and work in radio. Two things I really hate are listening to radio people talk about radio and musicians talk about gear. It just seems both are talking just to prove their knowledge of the topic. With both groups, I'd rather talk about the reason I do both.. music. Not that there's anything wrong with gearpigs and radio junkies...
Well you should fuck off out of this thread then.

Personally, I hate hearing idiots talk about Kiss, so I stay away from those threads...then again, I am not an idiot.

I suppose it's harder to stay away from shit you're not going to like if you are.
That!

Plus, it's not bragging about knowledge, it's sharing in the fun of GAS.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I got the parts for my tube buffer... I wish I had done this back in the day.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

Here's the V project. Gotta fill in that ugly Kahler route...
lerxstcat
Needs to STFU!

Post by lerxstcat »

Why buy it if you didn't want the Kahler? You could paint any V with the black and white scheme. Just saying because personally, I like Kahler trems. They have some good attributes Floyds don't have, and vice versa.
ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I just prefer the hardtail on a V... it's just a fill... wanna buy a Kahler?
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I just picked a booteeky little 18 watt amp...I'll take it to rehearsal tomorrow, but it seems pretty sweet...it's a Phat Tone Mastiff 18...made by some guy out in PHX...any info?

Here's a couple pics from the ad I bought it from:

ElToro
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by ElToro »

I don't know anything about those, but the components look great. You ever gonna post a pic of that white solid Byrdland type thing you made?