El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

sirthx2
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by sirthx2 »

exitflagger wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:33 am Assuming these Gibsons are new, do they have fret-over-binding on the edges or are they still doing the nibs? The nibs were an immediate deal breaker for me for a long time.
All mine have 'nibs', but honestly I've never had one time ever that I've said 'god damn these nibs!' so no idea what the fuss is about. Do you ever bend the high-E 'down' or the low-E 'up'? My 2015 Les Paul is as good as any LP I've ever played and it has them. The V is a 2022 and looks like it was chiseled by Michelangelo.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:01 am
sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:49 am You know this is case-by-case, and all things being equal, I'll take a Gibson for a number of reasons. First and foremost I'm a snob, cool factor and resale.
To each their own. That's the great thing about guitars: they're so individual and everyone gets different things out of them. Some people need to know they're playing what the greats play. I'm not great. I'm not a gigging musician or aspiring to recreate a specific artist's rig, so I don't really get off on the brand name. The strings feel the same under my fingers whether I paid an extra thousand for a logo or not.
I appreciate that. Admirable even. That said, if you walked into a GC or anywhere else and there was an Epi and a Gibson side by side, 'same' guitar and you could walk out with one, you're grabbing the Gibson. :-)
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 am That said, if you walked into a GC or anywhere else and there was an Epi and a Gibson side by side, 'same' guitar and you could walk out with one, you're grabbing the Gibson. :-)
Nah. I've played a few Gibson ES models and I'll take my Epiphone Sheraton over them any day. I'm not into Les Pauls in general, so those are out, and it depends on what the other models have to offer. Also, as a Gretsch guy, I'm used to ebony fretboards, so the Epiphone Explorer (ebony fretboard, white with gold hardware similar to a White Falcon) I have appealed to me more than the Gibson ones. But like I said, I do love the FIrebirds.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:56 am
sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 am That said, if you walked into a GC or anywhere else and there was an Epi and a Gibson side by side, 'same' guitar and you could walk out with one, you're grabbing the Gibson. :-)
Nah. I've played a few Gibson ES models and I'll take my Epiphone Sheraton over them any day. I'm not into Les Pauls in general, so those are out, and it depends on what the other models have to offer. Also, as a Gretsch guy, I'm used to ebony fretboards, so the Epiphone Explorer (ebony fretboard, white with gold hardware similar to a White Falcon) I have appealed to me more than the Gibson ones. But like I said, I do love the FIrebirds.
I'll accept that and again, I truly admire not being an elitist brand snob. Speaking of Gretsch, there's a Setzer with my name on it. I will have one sooner than later but I'm somewhat struggling with choosing between a Hot Rod with the sparkle top, the Nashville (ebony board) or the creme dela creme "Smoke". I have a connection to Fender so I have to rely on that connection rather than just go get one and that connection tends to drag his feet.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:30 am I'll accept that and again, I truly admire not being an elitist brand snob.
Guitars are one of those things though that ARE a prestige item. I totally get it, even if I don't share that particular affliction. You grow up with all your heroes playing a Les Paul, for instance, so that's the only thing that you want. Nothing wrong with it.

I actually don't really care for Brian's guitars. I don't go for the fully-hollow models. Too prone to feedback, non-existent upper fret access, and franky, too damned expensive for what would just be a piece of art I'd only ever look at. Their semi-hollow centerblock models are where it's at, for me. I sold my Silver Falcon to finance a trip abroad and I still miss it.
Image Image
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

I have always wanted a White Falcon because of the looks, but am not really down with the overall sound and playability of Gretsches.

However, they have a new one, the Richard Fortus signature that is a White Falcon with a center block.

If I was the kind to spend $3600 on a guitar, I'd have that in my sights...get anew pickguard and TRC, you got a nice falcon that is also setup for modern playing styles, and not just peckerwood Yngwie shit.

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/fam ... 2400940805
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:42 am
sirthx2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:30 am I'll accept that and again, I truly admire not being an elitist brand snob.
Guitars are one of those things though that ARE a prestige item. I totally get it, even if I don't share that particular affliction. You grow up with all your heroes playing a Les Paul, for instance, so that's the only thing that you want. Nothing wrong with it.

I actually don't really care for Brian's guitars. I don't go for the fully-hollow models. Too prone to feedback, non-existent upper fret access, and franky, too damned expensive for what would just be a piece of art I'd only ever look at. Their semi-hollow centerblock models are where it's at, for me. I sold my Silver Falcon to finance a trip abroad and I still miss it.
The Setzer thing for me is hero-worship and the fact that it fills a hole in the collection. I'm also a tone-chaser and just love the subtle and not so subtle tone and feel differences in guitars. To your point, I have a buddy that sings in a traditional blues band and he plays a Gretsch Streamliner that I think he paid $500 brand new. Sounds like a Gretsch (really good) and is indeed gorgeous. If I didn't know any better I'd swear it was a $2,000 guitar.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

exitflagger wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:00 am Maybe something similar to Seymour Antiquity, only not that pricey.
Follow up: I found a good reasonably priced pickup that has almost the exact same specs and resistance numbers as the Seymour Antiquitys. Now all I need to do is confirm that this will provide a real detectable difference from this stock pickup that's in it right now. The type is Burny FVH-2002 but I can't find any specs on those online. Anybody know if there is any kind of pickup database out there that has searchable info?
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
TREVERLAST
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by TREVERLAST »

Has anybody here ordered from AliExpress or Guitar Gardens???
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

I tested this BC Rich Mockingbird today. I alway thought these guitars looked awesome. I was pleasantly surprised with the playability, I played a Warlock once and I hated the way it felt.

Downside was it had a whole bunch of extra knobs which I felt were unnecessary. Still, I really enjoyed playing it.

Do any noteworthy guitarists use this as their main guitar? Slash often plays one live but he's rarely ever used them for recording. I have the feeling most players prefer other guitars when it comes to recording.
Last edited by SchenkerFan on Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

SchenkerFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:13 am I tested this BC Rich Mockingbird today. I alway thought these guitars looked awesome. I was pleasantly surprised with the playability, I played a Warlock once and I hated the way it felt.

Downside was it had a whole bunch of extra knobs which I felt were unnecessary. Still, I really enjoyed playing it.

Do any noteworthy guitarists use this as their main guitar? Slash often plays one live but he's rarely ever used them for recording. I have the feeling most players prefer other guitarists when it comes to recording.
I have the one that is like what the Black Veil Brides guy had for a while (but doesnt anymore... maybe proving your point?) It's great. 24 frets, floyd, feels great to play, EMGs.... and no tons of knobs/switches. Highly recommend.

https://www.ishibashi-music.jp/category ... eYEALw_wcB
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Sleek wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:50 am However, they have a new one, the Richard Fortus signature that is a White Falcon with a center block.
I've been creaming my panties over these since he announced them last year.

That said, I had one of these:
Image.

I sold it to help finance a trip to England, and I kinda miss it. Centerblock, semi-hollow, double cut for better upper fret access, etc. It was an incredible guitar. All that said, my Sheraton does everything the Gretsch does, but with better upper-fret access, and I prefer the smaller f-holes.
Image Image
T.O.N. of green
Playing Frat Parties

Post by T.O.N. of green »

I got inspired by watching the Mclaughlin/DeLucia/DiMeola concerts on youtube and went and bought a custom legend. Was considering a DiMeola signature model but those were selling for 2-3 times the price of this one. It's a 2014 made in Korea model. The fit and finish are excellent as I suspected they would be. I was originally going to buy a new ovation but discovered that all of their production guitars are now made in china, yuck. I won't buy any chinese guitars but I do like the two korean guitars I own.

timstar78
Forming a Band

Post by timstar78 »

exitflagger wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:49 pm Image

New guitar!

I probably would've gotten the black AIO but now I'm glad I didn't (they ran out of stock on them the day before I was going to pull the trigger). Got a great deal on this one, right place, right time and I am swooning over it right now. I thought it was going to be in shoddy condition (used 2012 model) but outside of one little tiny ding, it's in fantastic shape. Thank goodness for poor photography.

Second Burny for me. I cannot recommend them enough.
Congratulations. Your taste in instruments is equally deplorable as your taste in music. This will pair nicely with your Hondo Strat and Donner acoustic, I’m sure.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

This will be here Friday.
Always wanted an Ernie Ball Music Man Axis.

If anyone is interested, I am selling 6-8 guitars.
I’ll give you a good deal, but you pay shipping.

Washburn Nuno X2
EVH Wolfgang X2
Ibanez Tiger Eye
Possibly my Les Paul and Strat as well.
If anyone is genuinely interested, pm me.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Rooster wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:19 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:14 pm Image

Washburn Nuno X2
EVH Wolfgang X2
Ibanez Tiger Eye
That is one sweet looking guitar. I owned one back in the day. It played like butter. Great guitar.
Ty, can’t wait to get my hands on it.
She’s a beauty

T.O.N. of green
Playing Frat Parties

Post by T.O.N. of green »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:25 pm
Rooster wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:19 pm
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:14 pm Image

Washburn Nuno X2
EVH Wolfgang X2
Ibanez Tiger Eye
That is one sweet looking guitar. I owned one back in the day. It played like butter. Great guitar.

Ty, can’t wait to get my hands on it.
She’s a beauty

Looks like it might be a well made guitar and probably plays fantastic, but I could never own one of these. Reminds me of EVH, who, from watching all his interviews, seems like a he was a world class cunt. Also reminds me of his fatass son.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Finally bit on a guitar I've wanted for a long-ass time. Box arrived like Ace Ventura had kicked it down the hall, but packing was superb so UPS despite trying their best, couldn't fuck it up. This is as nice as any custom shop guitar I've seen.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

When are you having Sleek and Mojo over for the viewing/drooling party?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:36 pm When are you having Sleek and Mojo over for the viewing/drooling party?
All are welcome! I'll fire up the BBQ!

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

HueyRamone wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:36 pm When are you having Sleek and Mojo over for the viewing/drooling party?
It's beautiful, no question, but I don't get on with fully hollows. Still gorgeous.
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:58 pm
It's beautiful, no question, but I don't get on with fully hollows. Still gorgeous.
Yeah, don't think this will ever be a go-to player for me either. Just fills a hole in the collection. Fun to noodle on the couch, but more of a case-queen and occasional wall-hanger.

Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Full hollows are 100% my bitch, but I don't get on with flamed maple.

Spray paint that white, and I am all over it.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:35 pm

He could also take it to Ed romans, and get Steve vía x20 levels of abalone crammed into the neck….
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:09 am
Sleek wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:35 pm

He could also take it to Ed romans, and get Steve vía x20 levels of abalone crammed into the neck….
Making notes. I'll give another week or so before I take it to my guy. Huey, ideas for the abalone inlays? (no penis suggestions please - boobies OK)

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

What? The neoclassical thumbnails on an ebony fretboard is pretty much perfect already!
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:38 am What? The neoclassical thumbnails on an ebony fretboard is pretty much perfect already!
Of course. Not changing a single thing on this guitar. No way.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

sirthx2 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:26 pm
Mojo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:38 am What? The neoclassical thumbnails on an ebony fretboard is pretty much perfect already!
Wuss. The back of the neck doesnt even say IM A ANIMAL on it yet!!!
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:03 pm
sirthx2 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:26 pm
Wuss. The back of the neck doesnt even say IM A ANIMAL on it yet!!!
It did sat that before I even peeled off the plastic from the pickguard, but it quickly wore off with my my 'all up & down the neck' playing prowess before it effectively dried. I couldn't wait.

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

What about amplifiers/cabs, pedal boards etc.? What floats everyone's boat here? I'm basically a sick gear-head & love all this stuff. I got this Hughes & Kettner head last week that just slays. What'cha got?

A little 'pimpy' perhaps, but man.....