El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by exitflagger »

Jazzmasters rule. I keep getting tempted to buy one but I've already got about 3 or 4 more guitars than I need.

I refuse to be a guitar collector. I already collect too much other shit.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

exitflagger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 pm Jazzmasters rule. I keep getting tempted to buy one but I've already got about 3 or 4 more guitars than I need.

Guitars are more cool to collect than other shit. Get rid of the other shit.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

sirthx2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:46 pm
exitflagger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 pm Jazzmasters rule. I keep getting tempted to buy one but I've already got about 3 or 4 more guitars than I need.

Not a chance. I have two hammers. I use them to hammer shit. Those two get the job done. Therefore: I am not a hammer collector either.
ImageImage
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

exitflagger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:11 pm

Not a chance. I have two hammers. I use them to hammer shit. Those two get the job done. Therefore: I am not a hammer collector either.
Agree. I have 7 guitars and 3 Basses. When i got the bass from a few pages ago, it was a "1 in, 1 out" policy and I gave one bass way that night.

Now I'd like to get rid of my Explorer and Mosrite, but cant be bothered to list them n shit.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

exitflagger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:11 pm

I look at guitars as much more than 'tools'. They're works of art. They're historic. They're beautiful. Guests don't walk into that 'special room' in your house and 'ooooh and ahhhhh' over the hammers hanging on your wall. The wife probably doesn't take video of you pulling a new hammer out of the home depot bag. Having said that I'll have people over that could give 2 shits about guitars, walk right past them all and not say a word and of course I get it. But those that do, lose their minds.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I play my guitars and I like them kind of grungy, with old strings that bend a little more than they should. New, sterile, unused guitars don't interest me. Like, if I had the money, I wouldn't mind having some vintage Gretsches hanging from the wall, but there's no way I'd be able to resist playing them, too.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:32 am I play my guitars and I like them kind of grungy, with old strings that bend a little more than they should. New, sterile, unused guitars don't interest me. Like, if I had the money, I wouldn't mind having some vintage Gretsches hanging from the wall, but there's no way I'd be able to resist playing them, too.
They're like new cars in that when you get them, you do everything you can to keep them new. Park a mile away from the entrance to the store etc. When you finally get that first 'ding', you don't care anymore. I have a few 'case queens' and my Setzer Gretsch is one of them. I take that thing out wearing white gloves. I'm trying to be better about that. I just ordered a 'tape echo' that will force me to play the Gretsch.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

sirthx2 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:50 am I'm trying to be better about that. I just ordered a 'tape echo' that will force me to play the Gretsch.
My dream Gretsch is the Reverend Horton Heat signature. It's the western style 6120 with the brand and cactus and steer inlay, but with the ebony fretboard. I really don't get on with the single cutaway, fully hollow Gretsches anyway, so I'll probably never have one, but I do love it. If they'd make a double cut, semi-hollow version, I'd buy it immediately.
Image Image
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:48 am
sirthx2 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:50 am I'm trying to be better about that. I just ordered a 'tape echo' that will force me to play the Gretsch.
My dream Gretsch is the Reverend Horton Heat signature. It's the western style 6120 with the brand and cactus and steer inlay, but with the ebony fretboard. I really don't get on with the single cutaway, fully hollow Gretsches anyway, so I'll probably never have one, but I do love it. If they'd make a double cut, semi-hollow version, I'd buy it immediately.
Agree, the RHH is awesome! My purchase had little to do with playability (although it could be the most well-constructed guitar I own), I just wanted a 6120 and I'm a huge Setzer nutswinger so it was between the flamey Nashville and 'smoke'. At the time I thought the flamed out version was more gorgeous so that's what I got. I don't regret it but if I had to do it over again I think I'd go 'smoke'.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Ok, i know it was only yesterday that I said that buying new guitars was a thing of my past.... but that doesnt mean I cant have guitars I already own refinished:

For comparison, here's KK Downing's Gibson:

I still need the black pickup rings, and might have to swap out the knobs to tophat ones (I have those in my garage, but dont really like them. I also had the tone knob and bridge pickup disconnected. Mine also has metal machine heads, which is sleek's fault for installing them, but they are pretty great quality.

It was there to get the busted headstock fixed, but I think it looks like it's become a masterpiece!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

“Epiphone…Inspired By Gibson”

Anyone paying attention to these?
I’ve been watching a bunch of videos about this line.
Some even go head to head with Gibsons.
Basically saying, Epiphone QC is amazing and Gibsons sucks balls, buy the Epi and save $2,200.00.
There is a couple LP, SG models and a couple other.
Never had a guitar with P90s, so I took a chance and ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Jr.

Under $525 USD including shipping.
I will review, if anyone is interested.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I'm buying this. Just beyond fucking gorgeous, and only $1000? Yes fucking please, Mate.

Image Image
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Ugh. Gheywood :lol:

Here is me with my most recent purchase, a custom-built Ric clone, doing some Style Council: https://youtu.be/QKLu28A6-u8
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:51 am I'm buying this. Just beyond fucking gorgeous, and only $1000? Yes fucking please, Mate.

Make it so!

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:13 am Ugh. Gheywood :lol: , doing some Style Council: https://youtu.be/QKLu28A6-u8
You don’t like quilted maple?
Image Image
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Quilted, spalted...I don't even like too much bird's eye.

It all just seems so ghetto...like gold rims on a Cadillac.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Well, I am ghetto as fuck, yo.
Image Image
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

How many dude's asses you look up today? :lol:

Guitar is also too small. Whole point of a Gretsch is that they are ginormous.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:31 pm How many dude's asses you look up today? :lol:
Hundreds, but still didn't find the guitar.
Image Image
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:21 pm Quilted, spalted...I don't even like too much bird's eye.

I don't know about "ghetto" but I'm not a big fan of super-figured wood on a guitar either. PRS has always overdone that with finishes that look more like hard candy than a musical instrument.

If you look at it as a stand-alone item, then okay, it's purty. But then you strap it on and get on a stage with it and it comes off more like the guitar is playing you than the other way around.
ImageImage
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:25 pm Ok, i know it was only yesterday that I said that buying new guitars was a thing of my past.... but that doesnt mean I cant have guitars I already own refinished:

I still need the black pickup rings, and might have to swap out the knobs to tophat ones (I have those in my garage, but dont really like them. I also had the tone knob and bridge pickup disconnected. Mine also has metal machine heads, which is sleek's fault for installing them, but they are pretty great quality.

It was there to get the busted headstock fixed, but I think it looks like it's become a masterpiece!
Total V-heaven bad-assery. I give it a 9/10. For me, and understand if it's not for everybody, but I prefer pickup covers on Vs. Especially red ones. That would make it a 10/10. (I say that not having p/u covers on my own f**king V)

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

When I picked it up, it DID have the pickup rings on!
(i had mentioned they werent on in the pic he sent, and had mentioned I wanted them. He prolly forgot about em.
Still no pickup covers, but Kennyboy didnt have those on his.

You have a V? NICE. I assumed that you, along with all the others here, only invested in pussware. What kind of V? Have you cut yourself on any of the points lately?
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

You commented on my V. (hey now!) Ignore the roundies in the background.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Oh yeah, now i remember. Sick-ass white headstock. Must be a special edition if gibson was gonna spring for the $10 in pickup rings.... and binding, oh my! Only Gibson would include things that are stock on any Schecter as reserved for their ultra highend.

I actually was thinking of doing my headstock in red so it would look similar, but in the end, I went with authenticity.
sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

HueyRamone wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:40 pm Oh yeah, now i remember. Sick-ass white headstock. Must be a special edition if gibson was gonna spring for the $10 in pickup rings.... and binding, oh my! Only Gibson would include things that are stock on any Schecter as reserved for their ultra highend.

I actually was thinking of doing my headstock in red so it would look similar, but in the end, I went with authenticity.
It's just a standard 2022 "70s V". It still smells heavily like lacquer/paint. It's strong. Open the case and get high.

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

sirthx2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:59 pm
HueyRamone wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:40 pm Oh yeah, now i remember. Sick-ass white headstock. Must be a special edition if gibson was gonna spring for the $10 in pickup rings.... and binding, oh my! Only Gibson would include things that are stock on any Schecter as reserved for their ultra highend.

It's just a standard 2022 "70s V". It still smells heavily like lacquer/paint. It's strong. Open the case and get high.
That’s because it’s hidden away in shame, so the strats and semi hollows can rule the roost with impunity.
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

exitflagger wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:54 am
Sleek wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:21 pm Quilted, spalted...I don't even like too much bird's eye.

I don't know about "ghetto" but I'm not a big fan of super-figured wood on a guitar either. PRS has always overdone that with finishes that look more like hard candy than a musical instrument.

If you look at it as a stand-alone item, then okay, it's purty. But then you strap it on and get on a stage with it and it comes off more like the guitar is playing you than the other way around.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pwn'd!!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Impulse bought a $3000 guitar, today. Should be here this week sometime.
Image Image
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Ugh. Another smol Gertsch.

sirthx2

Post by sirthx2 »

Mojo wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:29 pm Impulse bought a $3000 guitar, today. Should be here this week sometime.
Fantastic. Malcolm played a smol Gretsch so no arguments can be made.