El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote:I'll give you $30 to take that tuner off the headstock.

Those tuners are like the Sammy Hagar/Britney wireless headset mics of this age.

So easy! So useful! And just look so wrong!!
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Trust me I noticed after I took the pic and was too lazy to do it over again. I was horrified as well. Also the fact that I'm on-line with a guitar I've owned for just a couple hours sitting in another room speaks volumes to my laziness.
"Anyone who doesn't understand The Darkness' brilliance sucks at music listening" - Michelish circa 2021
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

sirthx wrote:Trust me I noticed after I took the pic and was too lazy to do it over again. I was horrified as well. Also the fact that I'm on-line with a guitar I've owned for just a couple hours sitting in another room speaks volumes to my laziness.

Well, it is a tele. No one wansta play wit dat shizz. Now, if you had a Warbeast with some sweetass tribal graphics and a Floyd Rose, that would have you shredding for days!

LIKE A ANIMAL.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

HueyRamone wrote:
sirthx wrote:Trust me I noticed after I took the pic and was too lazy to do it over again. I was horrified as well. Also the fact that I'm on-line with a guitar I've owned for just a couple hours sitting in another room speaks volumes to my laziness.

Well, it is a tele. No one wansta play wit dat shizz. Now, if you had a Warbeast with some sweetass tribal graphics and a Floyd Rose, that would have you shredding for days!

LIKE A ANIMAL.
I got dat. W/ EMG 85-89s, quilted maple, the works. Only need one shredder. Can't have too many Strats, LPs and Tele's.
"Anyone who doesn't understand The Darkness' brilliance sucks at music listening" - Michelish circa 2021
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Cool bit of info; if you go to Fender's webpage showing the model Tele I have above, the Tele used in the photos is actually mine. There's two different guitars for the body as you can see from grain pattern but the full length pic, most of the close ups and the pic showing the headstock are all my geetar. Cool.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/magnificen ... 88764.html
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Got a pickups question for guitar people here: I have a dual humbucker guitar that I want to try and dial the tone in to mimic that of a Gretsch Firebird or more specifically the Malcolm Young sound. Other than trying to stick a Gretsch pickup in the bridge gap, is there a humbucker type pickup that comes close to that kind of twangy, rounded off sound? I realize the way to go would be to just get a Gretsch Firebird but I already have too many guitars and I really like the action and hardware (and look) of this guitar. I don't need it to be exact just as close as possible.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

sirthx wrote:Cool bit of info; if you go to Fender's webpage showing the model Tele I have above, the Tele used in the photos is actually mine. There's two different guitars for the body as you can see from grain pattern but the full length pic, most of the close ups and the pic showing the headstock are all my geetar. Cool.

It must feel like having a fashion model for a girlfriend. Give her a name....like Tele Macpherson.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

exitflagger wrote:Got a pickups question for guitar people here: I have a dual humbucker guitar that I want to try and dial the tone in to mimic that of a Gretsch Firebird or more specifically the Malcolm Young sound. Other than trying to stick a Gretsch pickup in the bridge gap, is there a humbucker type pickup that comes close to that kind of twangy, rounded off sound? I realize the way to go would be to just get a Gretsch Firebird but I already have too many guitars and I really like the action and hardware (and look) of this guitar. I don't need it to be exact just as close as possible.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
I'm not sure it'll be exactly what you are looking for, but I have had good luck with the GFS retrotron range. They are basically vintage voiced hums with a gretsch style cover. Best of all, they run cheap enough to try them without getting soaked.

Here is the product page. I have used the Nashville and Liverpool and liked both. Lots of mids.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Retrotr ... _c_99.html

$40.

...also, if you are made of money, there are a few people doing Gretsch filtertron style pickups in full hum sized housings, including TV Jones:

https://store.tvjones.com/tv-classic-hu ... -p212.aspx

$130.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

The GFS things look interesting. Nashville is probably what I would be looking for. I've had it with the "hot" heavier Alnico magnet type pickups. I never get what I want out of those. They feed back funny and you can't get decent clean sound if you need it.
ImageImage
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Turner Coates wrote:
sirthx wrote:Cool bit of info; if you go to Fender's webpage showing the model Tele I have above, the Tele used in the photos is actually mine. There's two different guitars for the body as you can see from grain pattern but the full length pic, most of the close ups and the pic showing the headstock are all my geetar. Cool.

It must feel like having a fashion model for a girlfriend. Give her a name....like Tele Macpherson.

That's not bad. May do that! :)
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

exitflagger wrote:The GFS things look interesting. Nashville is probably what I would be looking for. I've had it with the "hot" heavier Alnico magnet type pickups. I never get what I want out of those. They feed back funny and you can't get decent clean sound if you need it.
I've been into mini hums for a long time now (two Epi Rivieras, one Gibson LP, Epi Sorrento and Epi Sheraton)...they won't fit your guitar properly, but might give you the sound you're talking...to me, full sized hums in general just sound too thickety ass.

I know people who get a decent clean out of full hums, but I've never liked them.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

I had a Les Paul Deluxe with mini hums and didn't like them much. The Gretsch pickups have a certain twangy tone that I'd like to have available to me. A guy from around here has a tele with Gretsch pickups and it sounds kinda like what i want. I'll probably try one of those GFS pickups or something similar and see how it goes.

As far as interaction with the amp, do those feedback well? Do they cancel hum or do they act more like single coil?
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

They are humbuckers, just tweaked a little.

They have a lot of mids. I actually took to using them as my main rock pickups for a while, because properly amplified, they will get you into that Slash/Michael Schenker territory pretty easily.

I also have this big guitar that just sounds too damned dark with regular hums in it. (I had burstbuckers, then the Slash style duncans) I put the GFS retros in, and suddenly that guitar had bite and mids, without the wooofly bottom.

That being said, I'm one of those assholes who, when I wanted a Gretsch sound, bought a Gretsch.

You can get sets of Gretsch Blacktop Filtertrons for $73 bucks...I put those in a gretsch I bought with hums in it that didn't sound proper. The mounting rings are big enough that they will fill a humbucker spot if it is not over routed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Blackto ... SwRgJXj~9w

These are what Gretsch actually puts in their import guitars like the Tim Armstrong sig.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote:That being said, I'm one of those assholes who, when I wanted a Gretsch sound, bought a Gretsch.
Yeah, that makes sense but like I say, I'm really just trying to save this guitar that I really love that has Dimarzios in it and I just hate the way they sound. I put them in and thought "Well that sounds unique". But unique ultimately translates to me never picking it up anymore because I can't find a use for the sound it gets. Which is basically just a big fuzzy, farty mess.
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

What DiMarzios do you have in it?

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

36th anniversary with the beefed up alnico magnets. I'm hoping I can pull those out and either sell or trade them. They might work in other guitars for all I know, but the tonal combination with this old Ibanez just isn't worth a shit. I had Duncan JBs in it before and the Dimarzios were actually a downgrade. I found the JBs too thin though. And just kind of generic sounding.
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

JBs are greatly loved, but I have never gotten along with them. I've taken them out of guitars for a few people, too.

Let me look in my parts cupboard after work and see if I have anything that might work for you...

If you want some oem humbuckers, I'll send you as many as you want for just shipping, or $10 or whatever. People always come to me to wire in stuff and then leave the originals, so I have stuff like Gretsch, Epi and ESP stock hums that I couldn't give a shit about.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote:JBs are greatly loved, but I have never gotten along with them. I've taken them out of guitars for a few people, too.

Let me look in my parts cupboard after work and see if I have anything that might work for you...

If you want some oem humbuckers, I'll send you as many as you want for just shipping, or $10 or whatever. People always come to me to wire in stuff and then leave the originals, so I have stuff like Gretsch, Epi and ESP stock hums that I couldn't give a shit about.
I have an ESP with the stock pickups in it and that thing kicks ass. I was shocked at how much I like it. But like the JBs, it's a fairly common humbucker sound, just fatter. Works well with the guitar it's in though.

I'll PM you if I run into a problem and maybe want to take you up on your spares. Thanks for the offer.
ImageImage
Mattfig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Mattfig »

Modified for the B+ voltage mod and 2015/2016 Negative feedback settings....It's the sickest tone I have ever heard. More to come....And you Kemper kids ought to love the forthcoming profiles...

The Best Kemper Profiles - http://www.mattfig.com
The Best Tube Amp Gear - http://www.motorcitymods.com
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Guitar family just got Shredier

See below for classic, expected double post
Last edited by sirthx on Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Guitar family just got Shredier

Last edited by sirthx on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

That blue is really pretty. Not my style of guitar at all, but I like that finish a lot.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Mojo wrote:That blue is really pretty. Not my style of guitar at all, but I like that finish a lot.
Not my favorite style either but it was.....wait for it.....FREE!!! So couple the fact that I don't own anything with a Floyd and it was offered for zippo, I happily took it. I treat guitars as works of art so this just adds to the collection of pieces I can rotate on & off the wall. (and take down to do the occasional dive-bomb)
Triumph
Headlining Clubs

Post by Triumph »

sirthx wrote:
Mojo wrote:That blue is really pretty. Not my style of guitar at all, but I like that finish a lot.
Not my favorite style either but it was.....wait for it.....FREE!!! So couple the fact that I don't own anything with a Floyd and it was offered for zippo, I happily took it. I treat guitars as works of art so this just adds to the collection of pieces I can rotate on & off the wall. (and take down to do the occasional dive-bomb)
If it's only a pretty work of art to rotate on your wall collection, I'll gladly take it off your hands for $100. That's even more than a Zippo. :D
sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Triumph wrote:
sirthx wrote:
If it's only a pretty work of art to rotate on your wall collection, I'll gladly take it off your hands for $100. That's even more than a Zippo. :D
Pretty pieces of art are typically worth more than a c-note. Plus, when I need to blow off steam this piece of art lets me plug her into a Marshall & crank out the riff to Blackout. Try that with a antique vase or a Picasso.

I appreciate the offer though. :-)
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

So, I could use a recommendation.

I'm in L.A. and I have a 5150 I'd like to get tuned up. It just doesn't sound as good as it used to, or as good as other people's 5150s and 6505s I've used recently.

I have a good repair guy, but he sort of is a vintage dude, and I am thinking there must be some metal guy 5150 tweaking guru around. Somebody who really knows the sound of that amp, and what to do to optimize it.

Since this board is filled with metal dudes, I thought somebody might know a guy who knows a guy.

Sugestions?

sirthx
Headlining Clubs

Post by sirthx »

Sleek wrote:So, I could use a recommendation.

I'm in L.A. and I have a 5150 I'd like to get tuned up. It just doesn't sound as good as it used to, or as good as other people's 5150s and 6505s I've used recently.

I have a good repair guy, but he sort of is a vintage dude, and I am thinking there must be some metal guy 5150 tweaking guru around. Somebody who really knows the sound of that amp, and what to do to optimize it.

Since this board is filled with metal dudes, I thought somebody might know a guy who knows a guy.

Sugestions?
Eric's Guitar Shop Van Nuys. Look no further.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I checked out that guy's site and I don't see anything about amp repair/servicing. Did I miss it?

Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

I just snagged this full sized slide, made from spare parts. I think it would have made Bo Diddley smile.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Question: Does anybody here have experience and/or opinions on Bugera amps? I tried one of these out (V22 Infinium) at the guitar shop yesterday and it seems really great and almost perfectly what I'm looking for sound wise and on top of it all it's CHEAP AS FUCK. Only 400 bucks. The only cons I'm seeing about these online are that they are relatively fragile, break easily, whatever, but it sure seems like a pretty solid build to me. I'm pretty careful with my shit these days (didn't used to be) so I don't plan to be kicking it around like a soccer ball or anything.

TIA for any opinions.

ImageImage