El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: El Toro's Official Guitarded Thread...

Post by Sleek »

I've had my eye on the bugera stuff since it came out and I was looking for a cheep AC30 sort of amp...I ended up trading into a real Vox, but always wondered.

I've heard they sound fine, especially after speaker/tube tweaks. The only thing I'd be worried about is durability, but I gig a lot.

I know Tracii Guns has these things now. Maybe ask him.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote:I've had my eye on the bugera stuff since it came out and I was looking for a cheep AC30 sort of amp...I ended up trading into a real Vox, but always wondered.

I've heard they sound fine, especially after speaker/tube tweaks. The only thing I'd be worried about is durability, but I gig a lot.

What I'm understanding is they work well with tube upgrades but I really liked the way it sounded right out of the gate. I also have a tech guy who could probably bolster some of the more fragile aspects and kind of jostle-proof it. I figure for 400 dollars (or even less online) you can do a lot of tweaking and still be well under budget.

I want to line it out to my cabinet and see how it works with that. If it does that the way I want it to I'll probably have to go ahead and pull the trigger.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

exitflagger wrote:
Sleek wrote:I've had my eye on the bugera stuff since it came out and I was looking for a cheep AC30 sort of amp...I ended up trading into a real Vox, but always wondered.

What I'm understanding is they work well with tube upgrades but I really liked the way it sounded right out of the gate. I also have a tech guy who could probably bolster some of the more fragile aspects and kind of jostle-proof it. I figure for 400 dollars (or even less online) you can do a lot of tweaking and still be well under budget.
Ha! Most of my amps are $400 or under. I think the most I paid was $800 for a Marshall combo in the early 2000's. My purchases in the last few years:

Peavey Classic 50 4x10: $200
Peavey Classic 50 2x12: $250
Marshall 2203 Artist head: $350
HH IC100 combo: $350
Randall rm100 MODULAR 2x12 combo: $450
Randall rm50 MODULAR 1x12 combo: $200

The Randalls were a mistake, just not a fan, but three of those four are my main gigging amps, so $400 is the top end for me...

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

If you're in L.A. I guarantee you have a helluva lot better selection than I do over here in buttfuck swamp.

The only amps I've liked as much as this one so far have been a Rivera and a Mesa, both of which are in the 1500-2K range. I guess I just have expensive taste in those things. 400 is good for me.

And it's embarrassing but I may be psyched out by the kind of quasi-boutique look of it. Such a bitch thing to go for. Like "I have to get it because it's PRETTY!" :lol:
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I wish you WERE in L.A. I'd try to pawn off those Randalls on ya! :lol:

HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Sleek wrote:I wish you WERE in L.A. I'd try to pawn off those Randalls on ya! :lol:
https://youtu.be/kZGmPAnmUgg?t=8
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote:I wish you WERE in L.A. I'd try to pawn off those Randalls on ya! :lol:
Unfortunately I'm on the exact same page as you with Randall, I've ALWAYS hated them, only difference is I've never bought one. Randall is to amps as PRS is to guitars for me. Some people love them, I'd rather take a fucking bullet than own either.

I've been scouring the area and I've gotten turned on to Peavey, which I've never given much of a chance because BITD they were the reddest red flag for terrible sound. Only the shittiest players had Peavey amps and they were always buzzy and fuzzy and just transistor ear-torture from hell. I've now come to see that they have turned around 180 degrees from the old days.

I liked two of them that I messed with. The Valve King and the Classic. Valve King has some cool features but the Classic is universally recommended and has a slightly richer tone for about 100 bucks more.

I'm leaning toward the Classic (1st pic). Still in the hunt though.
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I have two classic 50's, one 4x10, one 2x12. They are as good as pretty much anything. Very similar to the fender hot rod stuff, but better drive channel. Most people just use them clean with pedals tho.

Get a used one, from when they were all USA. One of mine (the older one) has no FX loop, while the other does. If you care about that, make sure to check.

I have a Valve King, too. It no longer works, and I'm not going to pay to get it fixed...so that should tell you what you need to know :lol:

Sounded okay when it was running.

exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Yeah, I didn't even look at the effects loop. I'm used to just running everything on my side of the input. Both of the ones I looked at were brand new though whatever that configuration is.
ImageImage
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 »

sirthx wrote:Guitar family just got Shredier

Holy moley! I think I got a chub! :lol:

Beautiful guitar. Those are the ones I love.
AndiiChrist
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by AndiiChrist »

Got my hands on an Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane flanger. Insane tones on this thing and so much fun.
Where should I put this in my signal? Only using a Bad Horsie wah into a Tubescreamer 808dx.
I've never been a stompbox guy.
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:
Stevie looks like my twin!
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Okay, so I went with the Peavey Valve King. I played around with one and like a few things about it.

1. You can dial the wattage to 50, 12 or 2 watts which makes it highly versatile. I want to be able to saturate the tubes and get the sound I need at a low volume and then also be able to put it up to 50 and get the same sound at a higher volume.
2. The adjustable ohm setting for a line out for my cabinet.
3. It does have an effects loop.
4. Two channels, foot switchable. I really like the two channel system; I know a lot of guys just use effects on the clean channel but I want as much low to high gain flexibility as possible.
5. I just like the sound of it. The gain breakup is exactly my sound. Just gotta make sure I can get it at all volumes and settings.
6. I got a great deal on it used (actually less than I would've paid for the Bugera) and it is supposedly in brand new condition. I have 45 days to try it out and if I don't like it I can get a complete refund minus shipping.

We'll see when it comes in. I'm picky so if one little thing bothers me about it, it's going back.
ImageImage
AndiiChrist

Post by AndiiChrist »

exitflagger wrote:Okay, so I went with the Peavey Valve King. I played around with one and like a few things about it.

1. You can dial the wattage to 50, 12 or 2 watts which makes it highly versatile. I want to be able to saturate the tubes and get the sound I need at a low volume and then also be able to put it up to 50 and get the same sound at a higher volume.
4. Two channels, foot switchable. I really like the two channel system; I know a lot of guys just use effects on the clean channel but I want as much low to high gain flexibility as possible.
5. I just like the sound of it. The gain breakup is exactly my sound. Just gotta make sure I can get it at all volumes and settings.
6. I got a great deal on it used (actually less than I would've paid for the Bugera) and it is supposedly in brand new condition. I have 45 days to try it out and if I don't like it I can get a complete refund minus shipping.

We'll see when it comes in. I'm picky so if one little thing bothers me about it, it's going back.
I picked up a Valve King as well, no changeable wattage though. $250 used with brand new tubes (Groove Tubes and Mesas) and backup factory stock tubes (allegedly 3 hours use on them). Won't use the effects loop.
Running a Crate 4x12 slant and a folded horn 2x15 Sunn- What cabinet are you running?

Just realized you picked up the combo? I bought the head version.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

I have an ancient old Holmes cabinet that I redid with four 10" Celestions. I might sell it and get a 4x12 but I keep trying it with different amps to see if one will eventually work well with it. Not much luck so far.
ImageImage
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

Sleek wrote:So, I could use a recommendation.

I'm in L.A. and I have a 5150 I'd like to get tuned up. It just doesn't sound as good as it used to, or as good as other people's 5150s and 6505s I've used recently.

I have a good repair guy, but he sort of is a vintage dude, and I am thinking there must be some metal guy 5150 tweaking guru around. Somebody who really knows the sound of that amp, and what to do to optimize it.

Since this board is filled with metal dudes, I thought somebody might know a guy who knows a guy.

Sugestions?
how long since it's been retubed? also might wanna try a matched set of groovetubes in there...d.m.
Thebottomline
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Thebottomline »

I don't know shit about guitars but now I'm really wanting to finally take on the challenge in learning. I do have a Kramer XLII electric that I had for years but I want a acoustic and go from there. I've been told by a few people that particular model of Kramer is a piece of shit. I'm on acoustic kick and have been for the last few years. Anybody here enjoy playing the acoustic guitar? What's your favorite type of acoustic guitar?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

Thebottomline wrote:I don't know shit about guitars but now I'm really wanting to finally take on the challenge in learning.

I'm on acoustic kick and have been for the last few years. Anybody here enjoy playing the acoustic guitar? What's your favorite type of acoustic guitar?
If ya wanna save some money on a really good "knock around" acoustic, check out these. They're surprisingly good playing and sounding, well set up (right out of the box) and impervious to climate conditions.......with free shipping.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AE44II4NAT
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AB24II5BLK

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Turner Coates wrote:
Thebottomline wrote:I don't know shit about guitars but now I'm really wanting to finally take on the challenge in learning.

I'm on acoustic kick and have been for the last few years. Anybody here enjoy playing the acoustic guitar? What's your favorite type of acoustic guitar?
If ya wanna save some money on a really good "knock around" acoustic, check out these. They're surprisingly good playing and sounding, well set up (right out of the box) and impervious to climate conditions.......with free shipping.

Which one of those is better?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

HueyRamone wrote:
Turner Coates wrote:

Which one of those is better?
They're essentially the same, aside from looks (same materials). I got a red version of the one with the smaller sound holes. It's got fairly light action, and unplugged, sounds bright and deep at the same time. Sounds great plugged in too...3 band eq, balanced volume between strings (something about how they place the piezo pickup), etc.
I couldn't believe these are going so cheap. List is $299, and was originally $499.

"The worst celebrity golf cheat? I wish I could tell you that. It would be a shocker. I played golf with Donald Trump one time. That's all I'm going to say." - Alice Cooper
Suicide_Note

Post by Suicide_Note »

AndiiChrist wrote:Got my hands on an Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane flanger. Insane tones on this thing and so much fun.
Where should I put this in my signal? Only using a Bad Horsie wah into a Tubescreamer 808dx.
I'm not meaning this in a dickish way, but try it in different places in the chain and see where it sounds best. That's how I've always determined where to place things.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

8)
jackmantas
Forming a Band

Post by jackmantas »

exitflagger wrote:Okay, so I went with the Peavey Valve King. I played around with one and like a few things about it.

So Exitflagger, how's the Valve King working out?
AndiiChrist

Post by AndiiChrist »

Suicide_Note wrote:
AndiiChrist wrote:Got my hands on an Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane flanger. Insane tones on this thing and so much fun.
I'm not meaning this in a dickish way, but try it in different places in the chain and see where it sounds best. That's how I've always determined where to place things.
Been doing that, thanks. Find it's last, with the wah first. Just looking for more experienced effects users opinions.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

jackmantas wrote:So Exitflagger, how's the Valve King working out?
I like it so far. Just got it yesterday so I'm still feeling it out. One plus is that it really sounds good with the line out to my cabinet. I need to fiddle with my effects and see what shapes I can get. I can already tell it's well worth what I paid for it. It's just a matter of getting my specific sounds out of it.
ImageImage
jackmantas
Forming a Band

Post by jackmantas »

exitflagger wrote:
jackmantas wrote:So Exitflagger, how's the Valve King working out?
I like it so far. Just got it yesterday so I'm still feeling it out. One plus is that it really sounds good with the line out to my cabinet. I need to fiddle with my effects and see what shapes I can get. I can already tell it's well worth what I paid for it. It's just a matter of getting my specific sounds out of it.
Cool....glad to hear it's working out for you.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

One thing that's not awesome about this amp is on the gain channel it has the sweet spot at a VERY low gain setting and if I set it at say, 1.5 it sounds right but at 2 it's way too much. Then beyond 2 it's a normal gradation upward but it's very heavy. So unfortunately my leeway on that effect is a really small window. Leads me to think I'll probably have to run the clean channel and use external gain effects, which is kinda what I was trying to avoid.

Jury's still out...
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

I ended up running mine sort of the same way, since I am not playing nu metal...boost off of course.

I also did some where I used the clean channel with the texture knob in low power mode...you can get breakup, but the shit is loud.

You could try a lower gain preamp tube in socket 1, like a 12u7 or 12at7. That might give you a more usable sweep for like $10.

Peterbilt
Headlining Clubs

Post by Peterbilt »

A little help. Anyone remember the model name of the Charvel with the reverse headstock and toothpaste logo Tommy Victor is playing in the "Unconditional" video? I thought it was a Dinky? https://youtu.be/s1H9O53onxA
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Sleek wrote:...boost off of course.
Boost is on the gain channel. Are you talking about the "bright" button? The boost thing seems kind of worthless.
You could try a lower gain preamp tube in socket 1, like a 12u7 or 12at7. That might give you a more usable sweep for like $10.
That's a good idea. Might try it.

Every time I think about shutting it down and getting my money back on this thing I crank it up and it sounds pretty goddamn good for an amp this affordable. I don't want to end up being one of those guys that has like ten amps; one for every tone imaginable, but I'll probably keep this one and eventually get a different amp for a wider spectrum of clean/dirty breakup. (i.e. probably a more expensive one)
ImageImage
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Yeah, those guys with 10 amps are dicks...that's why I have like 15 :lol:

My problem is I just don't care enough to deal with selling shit, so I accumulate amps.

What sort of stuff do you play, anyway?