Has anyone here ever met They Might Be Giants or any stories?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BitchyPasta
Jamming in Parent's Basement

Has anyone here ever met They Might Be Giants or any stories?

Postby BitchyPasta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Not much out there about them.

And anyone else a fan?
milk-milk-lemonade
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Has anyone here ever met They Might Be Giants or any stories?

Postby milk-milk-lemonade » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

HO BOARD :arrow:
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!!

Oh, good. My son just eyeballed my signature.
crowes74
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Postby crowes74 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Buddy drug me to see them about 10 years or so ago. (The night Jeter did the backhand throw to C while running down toward the first base side batters box against Oakland, whenever that was) I knew of the “Malcom in the middle” and “bird house in your soul” songs. Expected it to be dreadful, was blown away. Their crowd was having as much fun as the band. Was a big ol lovefest. The Johns seemed likable enough, and musicians all did fine jobs. One of the more enjoyable show s I’ve seen, made me a fan from that night on. ... that being said they play around here almost every year, and I’ve not been back.

.. they had a documentary called “a tale of two johns” that was a good time kill.
Mojo
Platinum Artist

Postby Mojo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 pm

I met 'em. They weren't giants.
SikkiNixx wrote:my cool rock jeans were now stained with clit -blood

Image Image
poisonheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Postby poisonheart » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 pm

Not to put too fine a point on it, but let’s just say that if they ask to make a little birdhouse in your soul, it’s best to decline.
scruffman wrote:Obama was more Hitler'esk than Trump.
Rev. Johnny Tyler wrote:So far he has worked hard to keep his campaign promises for us, the halfwit retards he works for.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 pm

crowes74 wrote:Buddy drug me to see them about 10 years or so ago. (The night Jeter did the backhand throw to C while running down toward the first base side batters box against Oakland, whenever that was) I knew of the “Malcom in the middle” and “bird house in your soul” songs. Expected it to be dreadful, was blown away. Their crowd was having as much fun as the band. Was a big ol lovefest. The Johns seemed likable enough, and musicians all did fine jobs. One of the more enjoyable show s I’ve seen, made me a fan from that night on. ... that being said they play around here almost every year, and I’ve not been back.

.. they had a documentary called “a tale of two johns” that was a good time kill.

Cool story!

They have a new album out now and embarking on a new world tour. Pretty cool.

I love A Tale of Two Johns! Good docu. It's up on YouTube now, too. If anyone's curious.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 pm

poisonheart wrote:Not to put too fine a point on it, but let’s just say that if they ask to make a little birdhouse in your soul, it’s best to decline.

:mrgreen: lol
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Mojo wrote:I met 'em. They weren't giants.

Lol for real or part joke? :lol:
cdollaz
Playing in a Garage

Postby cdollaz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 pm

I haven't cared for their output in the last ten years or so, but always a good show. I've met them. Not overly friendly but not surly or anything like that. Flansburgh was the more pleasant of the two.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am

cdollaz wrote:I haven't cared for their output in the last ten years or so, but always a good show. I've met them. Not overly friendly but not surly or anything like that. Flansburgh was the more pleasant of the two.

Where/how did you meet them?

I heard Linnell is rather shy...kinda autistic like at times.
suckit
Cockblocked by Poison

Postby suckit » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:13 am

don't, don't, don't...let's start.
TheDeadBastard wrote:"Don Henley Gets Bigger Guarantees Calling Himself The Eagles featuring The 2 Guys Who've Been On Salary Plus Some Other Guys On Salary Than A Don Henley Solo Tour" is hell to put on a T-Shirt, so they're sticking with "The Eagles".
Danzig in the Dark
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Postby Danzig in the Dark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:17 am

BitchyPasta wrote:

Lol for real or part joke? :lol:
He's joking. They are giants.
ImageImage
Artemis2085
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Postby Artemis2085 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:16 am

No stories, but goddamnit if Particle Man isn't one of the most catchy songs ever.
Professional Hater

HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Potato cakes.

Aesop wrote:I tire of pussies that refuse to speak their mind, defend this great nation, or seek employment.
poserboy71
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Postby poserboy71 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 am

I was a local stagehand at a show of theirs about 20 some odd years ago in Columbus , Ohio at The Newport Theater.
I was surprised by their amount of production .
Before the show , I noticed a few fans approach the small lead singer (accordion) in the alley behind the venue. This girl (seemingly in her teens) kept asking him in a sweet tone for an autograph. Mind you, No means No , and she should've respected that but she is/was an excited fan so he could've practiced a little patience and tolerance.
That little twerp screamed at her that he "didn't ask her to be a fan" . It was ugly and uncomfortable and brought her to tears .
While I recognize that they can write some catchy tunes, that moment has forever left a shitty skidmark on any enjoyment I get from them.

The two seconds it would've taken to scribble his name could've been the difference in a lifelong fan or someone who gave up on them for his arrogance and berating actions towards her.
After that display, I hope she burned her albums.

True dickhead...
Masturbation is not an option, IT'S A PREFERENCE
MadmanShepherd
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Postby MadmanShepherd » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 am

crowes74 wrote:Buddy drug me to see them about 10 years or so ago. (The night Jeter did the backhand throw to C while running down toward the first base side batters box against Oakland, whenever that was) I knew of the “Malcom in the middle” and “bird house in your soul” songs. Expected it to be dreadful, was blown away. Their crowd was having as much fun as the band. Was a big ol lovefest. The Johns seemed likable enough, and musicians all did fine jobs. One of the more enjoyable show s I’ve seen, made me a fan from that night on. ... that being said they play around here almost every year, and I’ve not been back.

I had a similar experience. Was familiar with some of their songs and always kind of wanted to see them but would never travel to do so. They played locally which most bands I like don't do. I was blown away. So much energy from the fans and on the stage. It was a seated venue but the band always demands they be general admission shows. As soon as the show started one of the guys told everybody to get out of their seats and get as close to the stage as they could. There was about 3 rows worth of space at the front and a lot of people crowded in. A lot stayed in their seats.

After the show, one of my acquaintances that is a huge fan told me he was jealous that it was the first time I saw them because he said it was the best show he'd ever seen of theirs. Probably had seen them about 10 times.

I would love to see them again but alas they're not playing locally.
This must be HELL for we are the damned...
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:25 pm

poserboy71 wrote:I was a local stagehand at a show of theirs about 20 some odd years ago in Columbus , Ohio at The Newport Theater.
Before the show , I noticed a few fans approach the small lead singer (accordion) in the alley behind the venue. This girl (seemingly in her teens) kept asking him in a sweet tone for an autograph. Mind you, No means No , and she should've respected that but she is/was an excited fan so he could've practiced a little patience and tolerance.
That little twerp screamed at her that he "didn't ask her to be a fan" . It was ugly and uncomfortable and brought her to tears .
While I recognize that they can write some catchy tunes, that moment has forever left a shitty skidmark on any enjoyment I get from them.

The two seconds it would've taken to scribble his name could've been the difference in a lifelong fan or someone who gave up on them for his arrogance and berating actions towards her.

True dickhead...

Wow!!!! What a jerk!!! Did he apologize at all to her at least???
I've heard stories of him being very jumpy around fans and avoidant, but that's the worst experience I've heard yet. That's so sad! :(
poserboy71

Postby poserboy71 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

BitchyPasta wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:I was a local stagehand at a show of theirs about 20 some odd years ago in Columbus , Ohio at The Newport Theater.

True dickhead...

I've heard stories of him being very jumpy around fans and avoidant, but that's the worst experience I've heard yet. That's so sad! :(

I don't recall an apology. It was only a few kids that walked up to him. No threat and they were polite . I think the other people with her said something to him after he was a dick and that is when he said that he didn't ask her to be a fan. He was just loud and rude to a young girl being a fan.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Wow...I feel so bad for her.

I've been a fan of the band for years but nothing huge..but been getting back into them after a long lull. Might rethink my own being a fan now ....
Read some fans say he sometimes is unpleasant but thought maybe they were harassing him or being intervening in personal situations but this one is no excuse. You'd think they'd be super cool guys given the kind of music they write and seem in interviews.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:13 pm

poserboy71 wrote:
BitchyPasta wrote:

True dickhead...

I don't recall an apology. It was only a few kids that walked up to him. No threat and they were polite . I think the other people with her said something to him after he was a dick and that is when he said that he didn't ask her to be a fan. He was just loud and rude to a young girl being a fan.

So he screamed it at her or screamed it to the fans defending her or screamed it in her direction?
Not questioning your story, just that part I didn't get.
Regardless. The comment itself by him is fucked up.
poserboy71

Postby poserboy71 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 pm

BitchyPasta wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:
BitchyPasta wrote:

So he screamed it at her or screamed it to the fans defending her or screamed it in her direction?
Not questioning your story, just that part I didn't get.
Regardless. The comment itself by him is fucked up.

He did lose his patience and yelled at her although I do believe the comment was for the handful of people who gave a shit to try to engage him in a fan-to-entertainer exchange. Regardless, His comment was aimed at her wanting a simple autograph and a few moments as he walked down the alley.
I see that TMBG are playing at The Newport in the next few months. I guess they didn't lose any fans... :wink:
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Was she in any way being insistent or said something fan creepy, perhaps..that might've set him off?
Just trying to wrap my head around it.

How was he with the rest of the fans who were around her?
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Meant to also ask. Was this like a back alley or like were they intruding kind of on personal space?
poserboy71

Postby poserboy71 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 pm

BitchyPasta wrote:Meant to also ask. Was this like a back alley or 4like were they intruding kind of on personal space?

He was walking around behind the venue in the alley.
As most fans still do, a handful waited to meet a membet or two and walked up to him and asked for pictures,autographs... being genuinely happy to see him.
When he refused in an abrupt manner, everyone thought he was joking... he wasn't.
She asked (nicely) a few times and...

I was there to work. I can enjoy their tunes but know very little about them .
That display was enough to sour the milk.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 am

poserboy71 wrote:
BitchyPasta wrote:Meant to also ask. Was this like a back alley or 4like were they intruding kind of on personal space?

As most fans still do, a handful waited to meet a membet or two and walked up to him and asked for pictures,autographs... being genuinely happy to see him.
When he refused in an abrupt manner, everyone thought he was joking... he wasn't.

So he never gave those fans autographs either?

Was he rude before she kept asking? And was he like in a rush to get somewhere? Was the initial "no" polite or nasty? Sorry, just trying to get a better idea.
poserboy71

Postby poserboy71 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 am

BitchyPasta wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:

Was he rude before she kept asking? And was he like in a rush to get somewhere? Was the initial "no" polite or nasty? Sorry, just trying to get a better idea.

Damn, are you a member of TMBG ? Management?
There was no rush. He walked where a handful of fans were. It wasn't his first rodeo. He declined at first and they thought he was joking so I believe she clasped her hands and said "pretty please" a few times trying to be silly and cute and he progressively amplified his assholishness.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Lol! Um no. I'm a fan. Is why I was asking. Never even met them .

Or...was....a fan. Not so sure anymore after hearing about this kind of stuff.
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Bump
DemonFilth2001
Headlining a Theater Tour

Postby DemonFilth2001 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:01 pm

BitchyPasta wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:

Wtf? The guy is a pos. Plain and simple. Fuck him and his band.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
BitchyPasta

Postby BitchyPasta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 pm

DemonFilth2001 wrote:
BitchyPasta wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:He was walking around behind the venue in the alley.

Wtf? The guy is a pos. Plain and simple. Fuck him and his band.

Have you met him or know anyone who has? I'm kinda under the assumption he's got social anxiety or something traumatic. Based on something else I recently read .
MotleyKaos
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Postby MotleyKaos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 pm

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:HO BOARD :arrow:

Beat me to it. :lol:

I hear one groupie now saying, "It was like an accordion!"

Return to “The Original Gossip Board”