I never got the appeal of Dokken.

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

milk-milk-lemonade
Headlining a Theater Tour

I never got the appeal of Dokken.

Post by milk-milk-lemonade » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 pm

George Lynch, that's it for me.
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!!
Mr.Happyface wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Idiot.
TenBenny
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: I never got the appeal of Dokken.

Post by TenBenny » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

You have to be enthralled by fire and/or desire.
supertzar7078
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by supertzar7078 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 pm

I liked Tooth and Nail pretty well, but that was about it. Too many songs about spurned love and heartache and longing for my liking.
sliquor
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by sliquor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

You ain't the only one & I've tried.
Some moments here & there but overall.....

& while we're at it, their Very Best Of from 99 sonically sounds like crap.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Back for the Attack is their best album. Even though some of the songs do get a bit repetitive. They had also several other good songs on their earlier albums. The Hunter, It's Not Love, In My Dreams, Breaking the Chains, Into the Fire. Just really good songs of the era. And yeah, George Lynch is a monster on those albums. Really good band imo.

Live, I heard they weren't anything special. And Don himself wasn't the strongest frontman/singer. They did well enough though. But maybe a better frontman could have moved them up a tier?
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
fretslayer
Headlining Clubs

Post by fretslayer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 pm

milk-milk-lemonade wrote:George Lynch, that's it for me.
Same here. Love some of his playing, and even used to crank "Under Lock and Key" But as the years pass, I find them less and less appealing. Aside from a lead or riff here and there I can't even really listen to them anymore. The videos verge on unwatchable.
Brickjaw
Headlining Clubs

Post by Brickjaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Don was the weak link in his own band.
The band itself was great. They shoulda cut Donny loose and changed the name but whatever.
I kinda sporadically dig the first few records.
The lyrical content is horrendous.
Jaded love songs folks, nothing but jaded love songs.
Arch Bishop, Church Of Sludgentology
supertzar7078

Post by supertzar7078 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 pm

holymountain wrote:They had tons of sex appeal. The boys hopped out of their morgue shelves for this photo.

Seems so strange nowadays to see a whole band without any visible tattoos.
DOWN2WHISKEY
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by DOWN2WHISKEY » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:26 am

Dysfunctional is light years beyond anything in their catalog!
The Sacred Cowman
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by The Sacred Cowman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:37 am

Dokken is the best band ever. They had elements of Euro metal and their melodies were unique, you could hear the oriental music influences and that's why they were so big in Japan and also popular in Korea.
Lobo
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Lobo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:49 am

pieceofme wrote:Back for the Attack is their best album. Even though some of the songs do get a bit repetitive. They had also several other good songs on their earlier albums. The Hunter, It's Not Love, In My Dreams, Breaking the Chains, Into the Fire. Just really good songs of the era. And yeah, George Lynch is a monster on those albums. Really good band imo.

Live, I heard they weren't anything special. And Don himself wasn't the strongest frontman/singer. They did well enough though. But maybe a better frontman could have moved them up a tier?
Back For The Attack is one of the best guitar albums ever. Lynch had a really great tone on that album and the solos were fantastic. It really is a great sounding guitar album. So many 80's rock/metal albums had great playing but failed in the sound quality department. Not on this one. You know it's Lynch from the first note that's played. To me it cemented him as the premier guitar player of the 80's that was in a melodic band.

Lynch and the guys from Ratt led the way
RoyalSlack
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by RoyalSlack » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:03 am

Brickjaw wrote:Don was the weak link in his own band.
The band itself was great. They shoulda cut Donny loose and changed the name but whatever.
I kinda sporadically dig the first few records.
The lyrical content is horrendous.
Jaded love songs folks, nothing but jaded love songs.
You mean, like, "Jaded Heart", for example? :lol:

You pretty-much hit the nail on the head.
"Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends." -Tom Waits
nosell
Passing Out Band Flyers

Post by nosell » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 am

For me the songs were never there in a time that even the D level bands had some passable material.
suckit
Platinum Artist

Post by suckit » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:47 am

they did, and the results were stellar:

unfortunately, 1990 was too late.
TheDeadBastard wrote:"Don Henley Gets Bigger Guarantees Calling Himself The Eagles featuring The 2 Guys Who've Been On Salary Plus Some Other Guys On Salary Than A Don Henley Solo Tour" is hell to put on a T-Shirt, so they're sticking with "The Eagles".
Olds_71_442
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Olds_71_442 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 am

suckit wrote:

Good album but the singer was still kinda shitty. I've seen a few live shows with Oni singing and he's not very good. I hated the album with Robert Mason but it had nothing to do with Robert's voice. The songs were shitty.
Peter Crisp
Headlining Clubs

Post by Peter Crisp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:12 am

I never really listened to the in the 80s. It took One Live Night and their harmonies. Still, I'm a casual fan.
"Springsteen will never write anything that even comes close to 'Something to Believe In' or 'Every Rose Has it's Thorn.' " - Courtesy of Mr. P13.
suckit
Platinum Artist

Post by suckit » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:21 am

Olds_71_442 wrote:
suckit wrote:

Good album but the singer was still kinda shitty. I've seen a few live shows with Oni singing and he's not very good. I hated the album with Robert Mason but it had nothing to do with Robert's voice. The songs were shitty.
I saw them on their club tour for WS and they were great. I know he and Lynch didn't get along (shocker) and i remember reading here that there were issues with him not taking care of his voice. Can't testify to how he was in later years since I also hated the 2nd album so that was it for me and the Mob.
TheDeadBastard wrote:"Don Henley Gets Bigger Guarantees Calling Himself The Eagles featuring The 2 Guys Who've Been On Salary Plus Some Other Guys On Salary Than A Don Henley Solo Tour" is hell to put on a T-Shirt, so they're sticking with "The Eagles".
RaceFan3
Headlining Clubs

Post by RaceFan3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:26 am

As was mentioned before, Don was arguably the weak link. The band was excellent IMHO. George is great, and Jeff is a fantastic all around musician and songwriter. Mick is solid behind the kit.

They had some real good songs and Don, Jeff and Mick really did harmonize vocally extremely well.
The Stench
Headlining Clubs

Post by The Stench » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 am

They were a very solid band in their prime. The songs were about darker subjects, rather than the whole "party" vibe that many of their contemporaries were selling. The fact that they broke up at their creative peak added to the mystique at the time as well.
Then they reunited and kinda ruined all of that. :lol:
Schenkmore
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Schenkmore » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 am

Probably one of my top 5 or for sure top 10 bands. Great guitar, melodic, and great songs, especially some of the non hits. They don’t fit that LA vibe at all which is good.
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:02 am

Me either.. I gave em a fair shake and nothing at all jumped out to see.. except the bone guitar.. I thought that was cool.. I even saw them as support for a poison show in around 2003ish and I thought Ok maybe they'll win me over live but it just didn't happen..
St. Valentine wrote:

"First base is anal"
Schenkmore

Post by Schenkmore » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:08 am

SikkiNixx wrote:Me either.. I gave em a fair shake and nothing at all jumped out to see.. except the bone guitar.. I thought that was cool.. I even saw them as support for a poison show in around 2003ish and I thought Ok maybe they'll win me over live but it just didn't happen..
Did Poison win you over?
TripleRex
Recording Debut Album

Post by TripleRex » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 am

To each their own I guess. While I understand the appeal of bands like Poison and Faster Pussycat, they never did anything for me.

Dokken had stellar guitar work, perfect harmony vocals, good songs, and all around great musicianship. For me, it was the whole package.
Live was a different story since George was very inconsistent in concert and Don not very charismatic. But I love those albums, then and now. For people that wanted to get wasted and listen to songs about partying, there were plenty of those bands to listen to.
Vettehead2006

Post by Vettehead2006 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 am

Shitty drummer, shitty band. Too much sameness.
SikkiNixx
Sharing sandwiches with street kids

Post by SikkiNixx » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 am

Schenkmore wrote:
SikkiNixx wrote:Me either.. I gave em a fair shake and nothing at all jumped out to see.. except the bone guitar.. I thought that was cool.. I even saw them as support for a poison show in around 2003ish and I thought Ok maybe they'll win me over live but it just didn't happen..
Did Poison win you over?
They know how to put on a good show. But the reason I went was to see Cinderella. That was the show at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto... they'd wheeled out a giant white grand piano to the stage... front and center... so they're just about to hit the first chorus of Dont know what you got... when some guy in the front row threw a GIANT cup of beer and it was aimed perfectly at Toms melon.. this beer was probably the size of a jug in a bar.. it cost about $30 for one of those.. the thing I found totally awesome? Kiefer didn't miss a note.. and he was absolutely drenched haha ... we were almost as stunned as he musta been.. anyways.. I love Cinderella and always have... I just wish they picked a less gay name for the band.. Great show.. I watched poison cuz we had a limo coming back after the concert so there was nothing else to do.. they're a good live band..everyone knows most songs and i think CC is fun to watch
St. Valentine wrote:

"First base is anal"
davis666

Post by davis666 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 am

Im a huge fan of Georges other stuff, but really only a casual when it comes to Dokken. Songwriting was the issue for me.... too much of their material sounds the same.

Just Got Lucky is my favorite Dokken song because it actually has an upbeat kinda feel in the verse, completely opposite of their other well known songs.

George plays his ass off and wrote cool riffs throughout their catalogue, but I don't care about the guitar playing if I don't like the song itself.

Dokken is definitely a band that would have benefitted from the assistance of pro songwriters.
Love_Industry
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Love_Industry » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 am

Most of their material is kind of samey, but Under Lock & Key was up there with Night of the Crime and Future World, the best of melodic hard rock, for me for some time. One of the albums that will always take me back to the late 80s, they really nailed it with that one. Their best songs, great production, great playing.... Tooth & Nail had crap production but some really good songs, and by BFTA the songwriting started falling apart.
milk-milk-lemonade
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by milk-milk-lemonade » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 am

DOWN2WHISKEY wrote:Dysfunctional is light years beyond anything in their catalog!

Exceptional wig, Donny. :lol:
ImageImage
milk-milk-lemonade wrote:USA USA USA !!!
Mr.Happyface wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Idiot.
DemonFilth2001
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by DemonFilth2001 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:03 am

Easily the best L.A. band. Not even close. Back for the Attack, Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key, and Dysfunctional are all better than anything by Crue, Ratt, Poison, Warrant, etc...Not just the musicianship, but the songs as well. 4 amazing releases.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Schenkmore

Post by Schenkmore » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:20 am

DemonFilth2001 wrote:Easily the best L.A. band. Not even close. Back for the Attack, Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key, and Dysfunctional are all better than anything by Crue, Ratt, Poison, Warrant, etc...Not just the musicianship, but the songs as well. 4 amazing releases.
They don’t belong in that lame scene. They’re more like the Scorpions or Whitesnake.