Very underated album-Starship-Love Among the Cannibals

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mazerati
Cockblocked by Poison

Very underated album-Starship-Love Among the Cannibals

Postby Mazerati » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I guess they were going for a Def Leppard sound on a couple tracks
The album wasn't as popular as their earlier ones with Grace Slick but I think it's their best

I Didn't Mean To Stay All Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JIbltEf_k

It's Not Enough (hit #12 on Billboard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZnq5ZbP1w
maestro63
Headlining Clubs

Re: Very underated album-Starship-Love Among the Cannibals

Postby maestro63 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Fag music 100% but I too quite enjoy the album... honestly I like three albums they did in their heyday
TheDeadBastard
Headlining Clubs

Postby TheDeadBastard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Agree. Kinda dug it when it came out. Revisited last year and was surprised it wasn't the embarrassment I thought it would be.
ImageImage
ParaDime77
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Postby ParaDime77 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:39 pm

It’s Not Enough is a great track, Mickey Thomas was in his prime.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
dweezil
Recording Debut Album

Postby dweezil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:33 pm

It's the best out of the three '80's sell-out', records. "We Dream In Color" is Starship's best song. The band pretty much crashed and burned after the record came out.
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
Mazerati
Cockblocked by Poison

Postby Mazerati » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:57 pm

i'm an 80's music geek and for whatever reason i don't recall EVER hearing the song "It's Not Enough" in 1989 on the radio here in Chicago and it was almost a top 10 hit..i dont remember much MTV exposure either for Starship for this album
Chip Z'Hoy
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Postby Chip Z'Hoy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 pm

:lol:
NeverSurrender wrote:I simply asked a question and beat off two tards.
exitflagger
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Postby exitflagger » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:59 pm

If there were ever a perfect fit, it's a creepy e-stalker who also happens to be a big Starship fan.
radiobed wrote:conservatives are stupid...oh and racist too.
Bair Hand wrote:i'll suck your dick for a cup of coffee
Mazerati
Cockblocked by Poison

Postby Mazerati » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 pm

exitflagger wrote:If there were ever a perfect fit, it's a creepy e-stalker who also happens to be a big Starship fan.

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000
dweezil
Recording Debut Album

Postby dweezil » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Mazerati wrote:i'm an 80's music geek and for whatever reason i don't recall EVER hearing the song "It's Not Enough" in 1989 on the radio here in Chicago and it was almost a top 10 hit..i dont remember much MTV exposure either for Starship for this album
I remember seeing the video for the follow up single "I Didn't Mean To Stay All Night" once. What didn't help matters is that the band essentially broke up after the tour began (Apparently the drummer decked the singer good, requiring a long recuperation time).
You can listen to my two albums here.... Sludge away, fuckers!

http://easeintothenoise.bandcamp.com
Mister Freeze
Headlining Clubs

Postby Mister Freeze » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 pm

dweezil wrote:
Mazerati wrote:i'm an 80's music geek and for whatever reason i don't recall EVER hearing the song "It's Not Enough" in 1989 on the radio here in Chicago and it was almost a top 10 hit..i dont remember much MTV exposure either for Starship for this album
I remember seeing the video for the follow up single "I Didn't Mean To Stay All Night" once. What didn't help matters is that the band essentially broke up after the tour began (Apparently the drummer decked the singer good, requiring a long recuperation time).

Yeah. I noticed in the video for "It's Not Enough" the drummer is featured quite a bit. Then he's totally disappeared by the time they did the other one. So I guess the beating took place while on the road between video shoots. It also explains why Mickey wasn't going to take those sunglasses off no matter what.

I have a very vague memory of "It's Not Enough" being a minor hit. Don't recall seeing the video, but they played the song on Arsenio Hall. Mickey was interviewed on the couch and after one of his answers, Arsenio said "that's slick." The audience collectively "ooohed". Good times.
Mazerati
Cockblocked by Poison

Postby Mazerati » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am

"The 1989 "Love Among the Cannibals" tour was postponed after Baldwin attacked Thomas in a bar. The damage was such that it required facial reconstruction surgery. Baldwin resigned after the incident."
GutterCreep
Headlining Clubs

Postby GutterCreep » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:11 am

Well shit! I thought I was the only one who really enjoys this album. IMO one of the top 10 AOR albums of all time.
Mister Freeze
Headlining Clubs

Postby Mister Freeze » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 am

The previous album featured one of the worst songs to ever reach #47 on the charts...

"Beat Patrol"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sngotIvG4U

For whatever reason, my local pop station had a major hard-on for playing this song. I heard it a few times when my morning alarm would go off. A horrible way to wake up and face the school day.
Gwrexx
Headlining Clubs

Postby Gwrexx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am

lol, me too and I just started listening to that song thinking "WTF? how have I NEVER heard this song?!?!" then the chorus kicked in and I remembered it..
Ain't flinging tears out on the dusty ground for all my friends out on the burial ground. Can't stand the feeling getting so brought down. It's just that demon life has got me in its sway
ParaDime77
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Postby ParaDime77 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am

Mister Freeze wrote:
dweezil wrote:

Yeah. I noticed in the video for "It's Not Enough" the drummer is featured quite a bit. Then he's totally disappeared by the time they did the other one. So I guess the beating took place while on the road between video shoots. It also explains why Mickey wasn't going to take those sunglasses off no matter what.

I have a very vague memory of "It's Not Enough" being a minor hit. Don't recall seeing the video, but they played the song on Arsenio Hall. Mickey was interviewed on the couch and after one of his answers, Arsenio said "that's slick." The audience collectively "ooohed". Good times.

Arsenio performance: MIckey Thomas killing it, pitch perfect for a guy then in his mid 40’s. The note at the 3:55 mark is unreal.

https://youtu.be/heMtHs9bKyA
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
St_Augustines_Pears
Headlining Clubs

Postby St_Augustines_Pears » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Mazerati wrote:I guess they were going for a Def Leppard sound on a couple tracks

It's Not Enough (hit #12 on Billboard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZnq5ZbP1w

The intro sounds definitely sounds like the song "Hysteria".
"Moving on, is a simple thing...what it leaves behind is hard. You know the sleeping feel no more pain...and the living are all scarred." -- Megadeth's "A Tout Le Monde"

Return to “The Original Gossip Board”