TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #21 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #14 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by BlackCrypt »

So...

Many....

Italics!!!!
Constantine wrote:ur a fkn degenerate,
Metal Sludge wrote:It is after all, only a message board...relax!
Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
d2drums
Headlining Clubs

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #14 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by d2drums »

$tEvil, This is going to come across as total ass-kissery, but I'm good with it; I have been attempting to read "Kiss and Sell" the tell all Kiss book for OVER A YEAR ( I work hella early, by the time I get around to reading, I pass out pretty quick), but, that mother fucker is one of the hardest reads I have ever come across, and I am a huge Kiss fan! I actually really like the way you have approached your recollections. I have been feverishly reading the Tuff Diaries the last day or two. I thank you for your straight up, no bullshit memories. I say when it's done, you SHOULD somehow print it.... Just a thought.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

d2drums wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:38 am $tEvil, This is going to come across as total ass-kissery, but I'm good with it; I have been attempting to read "Kiss and Sell" the tell all Kiss book for OVER A YEAR ( I work hella early, by the time I get around to reading, I pass out pretty quick), but, that mother fucker is one of the hardest reads I have ever come across, and I am a huge Kiss fan! I actually really like the way you have approached your recollections. I have been feverishly reading the Tuff Diaries the last day or two. I thank you for your straight up, no bullshit memories. I say when it's done, you SHOULD somehow print it.... Just a thought.
Thanks for the kind words here... and the other. ;-)

It's fun to do these, and they seem to be well liked by most who have read them.

There are more on the way...and now it's getting more detailed with tour dates, other band interactions, etc..

$tEvil
Darth Blotzer
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Darth Blotzer »

Terrible band, bald asshole, good read. Thanks, CEO.
TenBenny wrote: Tokkin' with Dokken
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

suckit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:58 pm Sir Arthur Payson is Des Child, right?
No.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Darth Blotzer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:01 pm Terrible band, bald asshole, good read. Thanks, CEO.
""""""good read. Thanks, CEO."""""

I love when you slosh my balls around in your mouth.

$tEvil
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

Finally read the new one. As usual, great stuff.

What I really enjoyed with this one is learning about how the money stuff worked once signing with a major label. I've always heard that bands don't get rich just because they signed with a major label, but never really understood how it all played out.

My question is, back in the day, when did bands start making serious money? Was it with touring? Merch sales? Did they have to sell millions of copies of an album first?
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

StateOfShock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am Finally read the new one. As usual, great stuff.

What I really enjoyed with this one is learning about how the money stuff worked once signing with a major label. I've always heard that bands don't get rich just because they signed with a major label, but never really understood how it all played out.

My question is, back in the day, when did bands start making serious money? Was it with touring? Merch sales? Did they have to sell millions of copies of an album first?

Note: This is my story, and the Tuff story. So, just noting, it's about our deal, what it was for, our pub. deal, how much we received, etc..

Every band, artist, or signing is different. And that can differ by huge amounts.

To my knowledge, from what I have read, Poison's original record deal with Enigma was for like $30,000.00.

By comparison, that is 1/3 of what we spent on our record.

Also, Motley Crue's first budget, or Metallica, were even less. WAY less.

With that said, NONE of those bands, or Tuff, etc.. got ANY advance in the way of "Here, take this 50 grand for the band"

As noted in my Tuff Diaries, we were alloted, $ 600.00 per guy, per month, to basically pay for our rent while in pre-production and recording sesssions.

I don't know exact numbers, but I am pretty sure that bands like Salty Dog, WildSide and even Sister Whiskey, got like 2-4x the amount of money Tuff got fr their deals.

But ultimately those bands sold far less and had less success.

Where as Tuff got way more money than Poison or Motley Crue, but clearly they went 100x further.

There are so many factors...

When a band makes money, whether it's from touring, merch, or publishing, it's a combination of all the above.

But not one particular payday, or show, or advance is always the only reason someone (a band) is broke, or rich.

The more you make, the more you spend. Percentages going in many different ways, reduces it to beans in the end.

$tEvil
StateOfShock
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by StateOfShock »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:50 pm
StateOfShock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am Finally read the new one. As usual, great stuff.

Note: This is my story, and the Tuff story. So, just noting, it's about our deal, what it was for, our pub. deal, how much we received, etc..

Every band, artist, or signing is different. And that can differ by huge amounts.

To my knowledge, from what I have read, Poison's original record deal with Enigma was for like $30,000.00.

By comparison, that is 1/3 of what we spent on our record.

Also, Motley Crue's first budget, or Metallica, were even less. WAY less.

With that said, NONE of those bands, or Tuff, etc.. got ANY advance in the way of "Here, take this 50 grand for the band"

As noted in my Tuff Diaries, we were alloted, $ 600.00 per guy, per month, to basically pay for our rent while in pre-production and recording sesssions.

I don't know exact numbers, but I am pretty sure that bands like Salty Dog, WildSide and even Sister Whiskey, got like 2-4x the amount of money Tuff got fr their deals.

But ultimately those bands sold far less and had less success.

Where as Tuff got way more money than Poison or Motley Crue, but clearly they went 100x further.

There are so many factors...

When a band makes money, whether it's from touring, merch, or publishing, it's a combination of all the above.

But not one particular payday, or show, or advance is always the only reason someone (a band) is broke, or rich.

The more you make, the more you spend. Percentages going in many different ways, reduces it to beans in the end.

$tEvil

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the insight. The business side sure seems like it could have been very frustrating for artists.
Darth Blotzer

Post by Darth Blotzer »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:45 pm
Darth Blotzer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:01 pm Terrible band, bald asshole, good read. Thanks, CEO.
""""""good read. Thanks, CEO."""""

I love when you slosh my balls around in your mouth.

$tEvil
You love homosexual sex?
TenBenny wrote: Tokkin' with Dokken
TheAllNightRocker
Headlining Clubs

Post by TheAllNightRocker »

When is the next one??
Luring disco dollies to a life of vice
Desslar
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Desslar »

Great read as usual. Surprised to see the Hellcats t-shirt that Jaimz was wearing in that photo. Talk about an obscure band. I picked up their EP on cassette from a bargain bin long ago. OK if you like Starz I guess.

Speaking of cats, that bill from the concert you played in Arizona lists a band called Tomcats. Who was that? A local Arizona band? Don't think I've ever heard of them.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Excellent read in #15, CEO. Heartbreaking at the end. Can't wait for #16. You really should put these together as a book and sell it!
The power of Sludge compels you.
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

As usual good read but did management ever give you a straight answer why tour support was suddenly cut off? My guess is reaching #3 on dial MTV would have helped CD/record sales. Or were the winds of change so strong in the first year of Nirvana it wouldn't have mattered if your debut went gold. The label was cleaning house and that was that.

We’re about a month into our U.S. Tour, and our label informs us they are cutting our tour support. What does this mean? It means we have to give up the tour bus and now finish the tour in a van. Wtf! Seriously? We were just #3 on MTV a few weeks ago, and now we’re losing our bus? Yup… and the call came in one day, and a few days later it happened. We were on the East Coast, and told by our tour manager: “Tomorrow the Bus ride is over, tonight after the show take ALL of your stuff out of your bunk and put it in your Motel room.” The next morning I woke up and looked out the window as the white passenger van was parked next to our big amazing tour bus. I watched as the road crew unloaded our equipment from the underside storage area of the bus, which they transferred into a Ryder truck. So yea, from #3 on DIAL MTV in a tour bus, to a van and Ryder Truck in a few weeks’ time.
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

You have never changed $tEvil!

Trist805 wrote:Chip, You owned me and I will admit defeat. I love big black cocks. Hope you are happy.
Mato
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Mato »

Let's be honest, it was never going to go gold. Tour support cut abruptly, record company investing some BIG dinero and not seeing any profit... But hey, keep the 'stories' coming...
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Mato wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 pm Let's be honest, it was never going to go gold. Tour support cut abruptly, record company investing some BIG dinero and not seeing any profit... But hey, keep the 'stories' coming...
Kind of a dick thing to say.

I’ve probably got as many stories as the CEO during my “heyday” of touring and we weren’t even signed.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Desslar wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:58 am
Speaking of cats, that bill from the concert you played in Arizona lists a band called Tomcats. Who was that? A local Arizona band? Don't think I've ever heard of them.
Tomcats was an AZ band with ex-Icon members Dan Wexler and Pat Dixon and Dave Henzerling who also was in King Kobra and Lizzy Borden
Desslar
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Desslar »

Love_Industry wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 am
Tomcats was an AZ band with ex-Icon members Dan Wexler and Pat Dixon and Dave Henzerling who also was in King Kobra and Lizzy Borden
Thanks! That's amazing you know that. Not even Heavy Harmonies seems to know them.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Desslar wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:50 am
Love_Industry wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 am
Thanks! That's amazing you know that. Not even Heavy Harmonies seems to know them.
You're talking to someone who has a name check on an Icon album. No, I am not Wex or Stephen Clifford, I promise :)
BlackCrypt
Win, Lose or Hieroglyph

Post by BlackCrypt »

Are you gonna drop the rest of the episodes of the Diary before you close the Forum down $tEvil?
NearlyNormal
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by NearlyNormal »

BlackCrypt wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:10 pm Are you gonna drop the rest of the episodes of the Diary before you close the Forum down $tEvil?
I think he's got bigger things to worry about now, like who's couch to surf on, the next meal, bankruptcy, etc.
Black Stuff

Post by Black Stuff »

He should self publish this. Great read!
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #15 …
Hello MTV, U.S. Summer Tour, The Nelsons, London, Jason Newsted & a Stolen Ryder Truck
#tuff #stevierachelle #tuffdiaries #jorgedesaint #toddchase #michaellean #howardbenson #thenelsons #atlanticrecords #mtv #summertour #london #uk #kerrang #nyc #jasonnewsted #stolentruck #espguitars #sonordrums #paistecymbals #catclub #steevijaimz #toddtalady #toystaci #thezeros #hollywood #sunsetstrip #dialmtv #hitparader #metaledge #metalsludge
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-15-h ... der-truck/

$tEvil
Black Stuff

Post by Black Stuff »

Awesome! Been waiting on a new installment! 8)
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

NearlyNormal wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 pm
BlackCrypt wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:10 pm Are you gonna drop the rest of the episodes of the Diary before you close the Forum down $tEvil?
I think he's got bigger things to worry about now, like who's couch to surf on, the next meal, bankruptcy, etc.
This is a good one. Lol.

$tEvil 🤪🛴🔥
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

NearlyNormal wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 pm
https://networthroll.com/blog2/stevie-r ... net-worth/

Cereal? Over $200 million net worth
NearlyNormal
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by NearlyNormal »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 am

You know those sites are bullshit, shit? A guy worth that much isn't driving Uber in shitty L.A traffic just for fun.
AlexVonHaig

Post by AlexVonHaig »

NearlyNormal wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:43 pm
AlexVonHaig wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 am

You know those sites are bullshit, shit? A guy worth that much isn't driving Uber in shitty L.A traffic just for fun.
OK, let's say its half that.
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: TUFF DIARIES #1 thru #15 of 25 ... This STICKY will be the home of future entries, enjoy. $tEvil

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

TUFF DIARIES #16 …
Lita Ford, Jason Flom, 75+ Shows, Cocaine, a Lawsuit, Sweet F.A. & the Big Freeway Fight
#TuffDiaries #StevieRachelle #Tuff #LitaFord #BritnyFox #SweetFA #LiveWire @KerrangMagazine #Kerrang #ToddChase #JorgeDeSaint #MichaelLean
http://metalsludge.tv/tuff-diaries-16-l ... way-fight/

$tEvil