Dave Mustaine Vs. Kirk Hammett

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Dave Mustaine, no question
63%
Lean Dave Mustaine
16%
Kirk Hammett, no question
13%
Lean Kirk Hammett
6%
Even Draw
1%

Total votes: 79
FraiserCrane
Opening for Slaughter

Post by FraiserCrane »

Your pick?
Go ahead, caller. I'm listening.
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Re: Dave Mustaine Vs. Kirk Hammett

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I enjoy Kirk's playing much, much more. And he seems far less douchey to boot...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Mustaine.
Kirk has become the wah king
Mojo
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Mojo »

Mustaine, hands down. Kirk has a few great solos, no question, but didn't even play his own rhythm parts on the first four albums, and again recently on Hardwired. James records his parts and Kirk comes in and plays stock pentatonic weedly weedly over it later. Dave has fucking killed it in both the rhythm and lead on every album he's put out, and has kept his chops up. Kirk has whole tours where it sounds like he's barely hanging on.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

After watching a couple of recent shows - Megadeth at Hellfest & Metallica at Werchter, it's a no-contest. Dave's playing was a sloppy, tuneless mess. Kirk, for all the shit he gets played rings around him.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Dave 100%...but Kirk is way underrated. His soloing on those first 3 'tallica albums is awesome and really helped define the sound of thrash soloing...A little noodly, a little shreddy, a little atonal and not totally in control or overly musical.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

VoiVod13
Opening for Slaughter

Post by VoiVod13 »

Dave all day long, not even a question.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Gibsonite wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:08 pm After watching a couple of recent shows - Megadeth at Hellfest & Metallica at Werchter, it's a no-contest. Dave's playing was a sloppy, tuneless mess. Kirk, for all the shit he gets played rings around him.
I guess it’s Opposite Day around here
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Kirk all day long. Dave is good though. Neither can hold Alex Skolnick’s guitar case.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

There's no question that Mustaine has always been the better guitarist technically, and he's always been a great ripper, slashing away on his solos with creative flair pretty much from the start until the present. So he wins on the technical front and for consistency.

The Metallica albums through "Justice" had some incredibly memorable solos and melodic parts from Kirk. He really was dynamic and fantastic on those fronts. You can also hum many of his solos, fast or slow, less so with Mustaine. The Black Album also had some fine lead work but of a different variety from Metallica's thrash years. But no matter how much I like Kirk's playing on those early albums, he would lose this poll every time for essentially letting his skills stagnate for the next 30 years.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:26 pm Kirk all day long. Dave is good though. Neither can hold Alex Skolnick’s guitar case.
I’ll never willingly listen to anything by Skolnick after those embarrassing rap videos he made
Hellbound
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Hellbound »

DangerZone wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:47 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:26 pm Kirk all day long. Dave is good though. Neither can hold Alex Skolnick’s guitar case.
I’ll never willingly listen to anything by Skolnick after those embarrassing rap videos he made
He almost lost me as a fan with those videos and its got nothing to do with politics because I am Australian and I am lucky to know what a polling booth is only because if I don't vote, I get fined and then I can't put my kangaroo into daycare.

Those videos gave me 2nd hand embarrassment.
Hellbound

Post by Hellbound »

I think Dave is more complete because obviously he could do it all in Megadeth. He comes up with GREAT riffs, good to great leads and is actually capable of being very melodic. You hear his more melodic parts in the 90s but a lot of people don't like those more commercial songs so your mileage will definitely vary.. However he nails a perfect blend of heavy, catchy and melodic on 99 Ways to Die. He also used a range of techniques especially in the 80s such as tapping, taped harmonics, whammy bar, fretting on the pickups. He was more chaotic, sloppy and more of a feel player but that is totally cool because his actual lead guitarist is a fucking monster.

Cool Dave Leads:

Peace Sells But Who's Buying
Every lead in Wake Up Dead except the Chris Poland one at 1:56. Also worth mentioning that pretty much every Chris Poland lead is an event in itself. Just an insanely unique and awesome player.
The Conjuring at 1:06. Unique melody and its pretty much straight 16ths. Love the tapped harmonics in the intro.
My Last Words at 3:24. The end is particular awesome with the repeating motif before hitting the gang vocal bit.

So Far...So Good...So What
In My Darkest Hour at 3:59 has a typical metal solo but it fits and the one Jeff Young does is even better, very different and weird. Good note choices.
Hook in Mouth has a cool (even if simple) tapped melody in 1:55

Rust in Peace
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due has a great Dave solo at 4:55. Its pretty much pentatonic blues
Five Magics at 4:56. Very melodic and ear catchy melody to start with. Love the unison bending at 5:20. However this song is absolutely the Marty show for leads but some of Dave's best riffs are here ESPECIALLY that riff he is soloing over at the end.

Countdown to Extinction
At 2:28 smooth use of the chromatic scale on Sweating Bullets. Like the ascending tritone end to the high E

Kirk may not record rhythms on anything except Load and Reload as far as I know but he still has to play them live and he keeps up with James and his bullshit downpicking ability. He also has come up with a lot of cool riffs including one of the best in thrash of all time. Damage Inc. at 3:15 which really comes alive after the solo at 4:40.

Except for his weedy vibrato, I love majority of Kirks leads on Kill 'Em All up to the Black album. After that he lost his way and just hasn't come up with any leads to rival his younger days and it all seemed to coincide with wanting to, ironically enough, improve his musicianship and delved deep into jazz and blues. It just didn't work for him.

I could definitely go on but people are probably scrolling past this shit anyway so in that case:

TL;DR: I wrote some stuff.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Hellbound wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 am 99 Ways to Die
My favorite Megadeth song. I don't know why it's not a staple of their set.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

Kirk did a lot of good work on RTL, MOP, and AJFA. It sounded like he was practicing and trying to do better with each album. After that, he just stopped growing.

When grunge hit and every guitarist started talking about playing with "feel", there were only a couple of guitar players from metal bands that those grunge guys accepted, that was Kirk and Dimebag. I always felt that Kirk took that to heart, stopped practicing, and focused on playing stale, wah wah drenched licks. Why practice for hours a day when you can just play some old Jimmy Page licks, make the same amount of money, and spend the rest of your time watching movies and smoking some green'?
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Dave is a better rhythm player and songwriter.
Kirk is a better lead player.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Has Kirk done a single solo since the Black album that didn't involve a wah pedal?

I'm surprised Jame and Lars didn't put a stop to that years ago.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DangerZone wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:47 pm
I haven’t heard nor seen those. I only have heard his jazz albums and know he got his Ph.d in music
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

EddieVanHeineken wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:21 am Kirk did a lot of good work on RTL, MOP, and AJFA. It sounded like he was practicing and trying to do better with each album. After that, he just stopped growing.

When grunge hit and every guitarist started talking about playing with "feel", there were only a couple of guitar players from metal bands that those grunge guys accepted, that was Kirk and Dimebag. I always felt that Kirk took that to heart, stopped practicing, and focused on playing stale, wah wah drenched licks. Why practice for hours a day when you can just play some old Jimmy Page licks, make the same amount of money, and spend the rest of your time watching movies and smoking some green'?
Kirk plays his balls off on KEA and I’ve heard the Kirk vs Dave tracks side by side. Kirk’s leads are a big improvement imo.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Hellbound wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 am
Cool Dave Leads:
This was fun, do more!
Shredderpete

Post by Shredderpete »

Not entirely sure Kirk has the kind of focus to do this kind of thing. Dave gave this a really decent stab.

https://youtu.be/TV9DOcoqD0g?si=ouHBGQC_klux5ieN
LurkingAtWork
Recording Your Demo

Post by LurkingAtWork »

Anyone choosing Kirk has never picked up a guitar. Jesus.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

Lobo wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:25 pm Has Kirk done a single solo since the Black album that didn't involve a wah pedal?

I'm surprised Jame and Lars didn't put a stop to that years ago.
Right. Mr trash can lid snare and Mr “I am the table” should have realized it was a bad idea.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
SW

Post by SW »

LurkingAtWork wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:26 am Anyone choosing Kirk has never picked up a guitar. Jesus.
I pretty much never had. And voted solely on persona.

Kirk = always cool, Dave = miserable cunt
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

LurkingAtWork wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:26 am Anyone choosing Kirk has never picked up a guitar. Jesus.
Been playing for 38 year. Never liked Mustaine. His massive douchiness probably has something to do with it but the solo in Unforgiven is better than everything Dave ever did. Perfectly constructed...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

One created a genre while the other can't even dial in a decent tone, nor take his foot off the wah.
Last edited by tooth on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Hellbound wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 am ITL;DR: I wrote some stuff.
I read it all and it made me want to listen to every song at the point you indicated. Unfortunately I'm still at work so it isn't an option right now. Even if, as I'm not a guitarist, I don't get all the references.

I prefer Metallica as a band and Kirk has made some timeless contributions, and although it's a cliche it's also true that Megadave is boring live (have seen him enough times to know), plus both bands have released enough duds over the years, but overall I've got to vote for Dave.
Engine13
Headlining Clubs

Post by Engine13 »

Mustaine's playing has always been next level.
Even more impressive is the fact he can sing over some of those riffs.
If I was having a BBQ, I'd invite Kirk tho.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Both solid, IMO, but I lean more toward Mustaine and his killer solos.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

kirk
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"