And the 2023 Superbowl halftime show artist is...

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bair Hand
OMG STONER! LOOK AT ME!

Re: And the 2023 Superbowl halftime show artist is...

Post by Bair Hand »

with or without Nuno?
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

TenBenny wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:58 am Having the kind of group that seems like it could appeal to everyone is not a renewable resource.
Seriously?
ImageImage
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Bring back "Up With People"!!
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

We’ve had plenty of geriatric rockers over the years. Last years was one of the most talked-about halftime shows in ages…. Expect them to lean into that for some time
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

FreddyFender wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:18 pm We’ve had plenty of geriatric rockers over the years. Last years was one of the most talked-about halftime shows in ages…. Expect them to lean into that for some time
It's been 12 years since they've had a legit rock band on the halftime show and that was The Who. Coldplay and Maroon 5 don't count.

Metallica makes the most sense at this stage of the game. Maybe their infamous performance of "So What" on MTV European Music Awards has blackballed them from such an appearance though.

I'm not saying the Rihanna's of the world shouldn't get their chance, but would it kill to put a rock band on every few years?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

NeonKnite wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:02 am
FreddyFender wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:18 pm We’ve had plenty of geriatric rockers over the years. Last years was one of the most talked-about halftime shows in ages…. Expect them to lean into that for some time
It's been 12 years since they've had a legit rock band on the halftime show and that was The Who. Coldplay and Maroon 5 don't count.

Metallica makes the most sense at this stage of the game. Maybe their infamous performance of "So What" on MTV European Music Awards has blackballed them from such an appearance though.

I'm not saying the Rihanna's of the world shouldn't get their chance, but would it kill to put a rock band on every few years?
Coldplay and Maroon 5 are rock bands to 99% of the American public, and their performances didn't move the needle.

NFL is going to do what gets the best public response as a whole - rap and pop have got the best response in recent years, so its' going to be that going forward. Maybe Imagine Dragons if you're lucky.
NeonKnite
Your Cock, My Mouth

Post by NeonKnite »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:34 am Coldplay and Maroon 5 are rock bands to 99% of the American public, and their performances didn't move the needle.
Yes, because they're not real rock bands that anybody cares about.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

NeonKnite wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:27 am
FreddyFender wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:34 am Coldplay and Maroon 5 are rock bands to 99% of the American public, and their performances didn't move the needle.
So the NFL should book halftime shows based on what about 1% of the public thinks?

They’ve booked rock bands big enough the warrant booking. They flopped.

The music that resonates with us ain’t what resonates with the majority anymore. I think rap music blows, but my dad thought metal sucked and his dad thought the Beatles sucked.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Angry Wyoming Rain Man

Post by HeavyMetalZombie666 »

Yep! Easy Listening for getting hammered on ZIma to.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:07 pm
So the NFL should book halftime shows based on what about 1% of the public thinks?

The music that resonates with us ain’t what resonates with the majority anymore. I think rap music blows, but my dad thought metal sucked and his dad thought the Beatles sucked.
And the rap music from last year that got such a great response was all 20-30 years old. I'm 44 - that was pretty much the music for my generation (of all races). Yes, I was around for the '80s Metal Sludge bands heyday, but I was like 5-9 years old at the peak (loved that music/era, too) I was 13 when the Chronic came out. Sorry, didn't really care about stuff like MC94 or whatever Kiss was doing (or not) then. But I was a Golden Age of Hip-Hop ('87-92ish) fan and while I was more into EPMD and PE than Dr. Dre or NWA, that was a highlight of that time period for me. Eminem's first major label (he had prior releases, won rap Olympics, was in the Source, etc) release was 23 years ago. 50 Cent was 20 years ago. As mentioned upthread, "RiRi" had her first hit 18 years ago and she's been more known for her fashion line than music for the better part of a decade. I'm not sure how much of this is pop/rap/rock divide versus generational appeals for nostalgia, etc. I would love to see Metallica and I'm not more than a casual fan, but I think it has to be some combo of huge band(s) and an event that appeals to an anniversary or some particular nostalgia package. I'd rather see most any huge pop act than a Bro Country package or something.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

Also keep in mind this is a power-play for Jay Z and his artists, as he has control and there's a little revenge element to it because of the Kaepernick response and black-balling, putting someone who said "F the police" and then performed lyrics "still not loving police." Now putting one of the first artists he actually was responsible for breaking, etc. And she previously was outspoken about not playing it because of the Kaepernick situation. Also, Jay Z loves Coldplay (just saying) and that type of "rock." There's more to it than that. Hell, I wouldn't mind something like a 35th anniversary of the peak of Def Jam (and Rush/Rick) showcase or something. Do a Rick Rubin to last year's Dr. Dre. BUT you can't do that without The Beasties and Slayer.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

FreddyFender wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:07 pm

Rap is shit. Who watches or goes to the Super Bowl?

Metallica, AC/DC, GnR, or Queen. All will watch.

Rapper chick? Come on. Over half the viewers will go drink or take a shit.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:32 pm
Her song "Diamonds" is absolutely GREAT!

Wait is that the shine bright like a diamond song? If so, the time I heard that playing in the background, I blurted out "now I forgive Chris Brown for hitting her. That's what someone gets for writing something so tasteless and repetitive." Of course I am joking, I'd never condone hitting a woman, but I like dark humor.
http://www.FuzzRecordingStudio.com
Affordable Multitrack Recording (Ohio)
http://www.SDMFworldwide.com
The Official Black Label Society Fan-Site
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege »

Bair Hand wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 am with or without Nuno?
Probably depends on whether or not he played on her studio stuff, since these halftime shows are just pantomiming to tracks anyway.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

It's all about the $$$'s for commercial time and they're going to feature the genre generating the most sales/hype for advertisers demo (A18-49) to get the highest viewership. I went to the Superbowl around 2000 and it was a Big Band theme w/ Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, as it was the vanilla flavor of the month, and if I recall it failed (side note....KISS played pre-game in the end zone, so technically they opened for BBVD).

NFL and TV executives are not going to sit down with Pepsi, Doritos, and Go Daddy and say, "Metallica" because a large majority of their demo during the largest TV event of the year would change channels.
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
Deege
Headlining Clubs

Post by Deege »

Most of the music the NFL plays to get the fans pumped up....Thunderstruck, Come On Feel The Noise, Enter Sandman, Crazy Train, We're Not Gonna Take It, Final Countdown, Rock You Like A Hurricane, We Will Rock You, Welcome To The Jungle....all hard rock and metal music. But they never get to do the halftime show.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

They gotta have something for those who aren't football fans. Many people just come to the Super Bowl party and laugh at the wacky commercials while drinking some Twisted Tea.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
REO Cokewagon
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by REO Cokewagon »

HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:53 pm Bullshit entertainment!
Fake bullshit.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

SchenkerFan wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:09 am First people bitch about Ozzy lip-synching and being held up by a bracket, then they bitch when they put on a younger modern pop artist.

What do you people expect, Bon Jovi coming on looking and sounding like it's 1986? :lol:
You say that like no in between exists.

I think most people here would want in between a newer pop artist and Ozzy being held up by a hidden bracket in his full length coat.

It's not a hard bridge to gap.