Steve Vai and Polyphia

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Funz
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Steve Vai and Polyphia

Post by Funz »

skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Re: Steve Vai and Polyphia

Post by skinni »

amazing!
SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Post by SchenkerFan »

I've seen these guys mentioned a lot the past year but they do absolutely nothing for me. Their music sounds like technique exercises rather than actual songs. It's soulless stuff like this that made me stop caring about modern rock and metal. I'll stick to my 70s and 80s guitar heroes.
Funz

Post by Funz »

SchenkerFan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:30 pm I've seen these guys mentioned a lot the past year but they do absolutely nothing for me. Their music sounds like technique exercises rather than actual songs. It's soulless stuff like this that made me stop caring about modern rock and metal. I'll stick to my 70s and 80s guitar heroes.
You didn't hear any musicality in that song? Jesus, dude, I think you might have shit in your ears.
TenBenny
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by TenBenny »

A million views in two days is very impressive. I've seen some videos before. I'm not sure it's my thing but I respect the serious talent these guys have.

Does this group tour? Is it making money off this? Hard to tell how well something like this might do or what the opportunities would be. I could see this band having the kind of show where people go and sit down like at a classical concert or opera.
Spacey
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Spacey »

Yup, full circle..

Version 2.0 of the late 80's MIT (?) Guitar Wankers..

Expect a whole bunch.. 95% will be done and over in a year or 2.. 4% will eventually Join Megadeth.. And 1 will be standing tall like Vai..
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Bleh.

A lot of fucking around, but no real musical ideas. Whole song was a four chord progression with no melodic changes.

6 minutes of this had fewer interesting harmonic devices than the average 2 minute Cole Porter song.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

madaxeman
Opening for Slaughter

Post by madaxeman »

TenBenny wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:57 pm A million views in two days is very impressive. I've seen some videos before. I'm not sure it's my thing but I respect the serious talent these guys have.

Does this group tour? Is it making money off this? Hard to tell how well something like this might do or what the opportunities would be. I could see this band having the kind of show where people go and sit down like at a classical concert or opera.
They just completed a U.S. tour and every date was sold out. The audience seems to be equal men and women and they scream like they’re watching the Beatles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3C6nj69OnM
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

Yeah, I'm a guitar 'player' & not tryin' to be funny but from a musical enjoyment perspective I get far less enjoyment from that than I do hip-hop. And I'm no fan of hip-hop. Gimme a CCR song to cleanse my palate.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

the talent is undeniable...the songwriting is entirely up to one's taste...i like watching the videos and seeing them play but this is not something i'd find myself listening to in the car...d.m.
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

diablomozart wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:52 am the talent is undeniable...the songwriting is entirely up to one's taste...i like watching the videos and seeing them play but this is not something i'd find myself listening to in the car...d.m.
My thoughts exactly. They are all incredibly good and the best at what they do but it sure as hell isn't for everyone.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Talented? Yes. Song is dogshit.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Funz

Post by Funz »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:07 am Talented? Yes. Song is dogshit.
You don't know shit about music, you thinking something is dogshit is a sure sign it has something going for it.

What a board this is. Steve Vai does a great tune with a new young band who are pushing the boundries and playing progressive compelling music and it's still not good enough for a bunch of dinks whose taste in music was developed in junior high school. Stay in the shallow end, gang.
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

madaxeman wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:03 am
TenBenny wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:57 pm A million views in two days is very impressive. I've seen some videos before. I'm not sure it's my thing but I respect the serious talent these guys have.

They just completed a U.S. tour and every date was sold out. The audience seems to be equal men and women and they scream like they’re watching the Beatles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3C6nj69OnM

Very interesting. I think in the end there are just some people that are really smitten with the technical aspects of heavy rock/metal music. Focusing on someone's technique on an instrument. They're looking at what the musician can do as opposed to "How much do I remember about the song, can I hum/sing anything from it?", etc.

This kind of thing always takes me back to Eddie Van Halen, whose prime philosophy (or one of them) was that technique not in service of a memorable song was a waste of time. I agree with that and am still amazed at how many musicians never got his point (i.e. Mark St. John).
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

Funz wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:52 am
What a board this is. Steve Vai does a great tune with a new young band who are pushing the boundries and playing progressive compelling music and it's still not good enough for a bunch of dinks whose taste in music was developed in junior high school. Stay in the shallow end, gang.
Broe, do you have any idea what the word TUNE means? :lol:

Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

This band is a steaming pile of dogshit. Their songs suck donkey dicks.

These guys look like douche bags.

HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

I love prog and instrumental music and go see them perform live quite often. Everybody from Tony macalpine, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, Andy Timmons, Vai, satch, al di meola etc.

This is the first time I’m hearing polyphia. Obviously all great musicians. For me it’s missing something. It’s too clean and perfect and no really melody. That helps bring it together. It’s similar too animals as leaders which also leaves me a little cold,

I’ll check out more of their stuff. This particular piece isn’t something I’d go back to hear again.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
TenBenny

Post by TenBenny »

EddieVanHeineken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:31 pm I love prog and instrumental music and go see them perform live quite often. Everybody from Tony macalpine, Marty Friedman, Greg Howe, Andy Timmons, Vai, satch, al di meola etc.

This is the first time I’m hearing polyphia. Obviously all great musicians. For me it’s missing something. It’s too clean and perfect and no really melody. That helps bring it together. It’s similar too animals as leaders which also leaves me a little cold,

I’ll check out more of their stuff. This particular piece isn’t something I’d go back to hear again.

I also didn't like having to look up the band name in a dictionary. Just name the shit Chickenfeed or something. :D
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

This is total trash. It sounds like everyone in the band broke a string.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Lobo wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:53 pm This is total trash. It sounds like everyone in the band broke a string.
Funz thinks it’s great.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Wasn't Fripp doing this 35 years ago?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Once Vai stood up, his solo was cool. He always plays with feel and warmth. All the other shit was just wank.
I have a hard time getting into shit that has to be played exactly the same way every time. There’s no room in it for legit expression. All that goofy tappy shit has to be played as rote and it’s just boring. That’s exactly why all these modern YouTube guitarists exist. Put the guitar as high as it’ll go, keep it as still as possible, and put technique over everything else.

Funz loves this for the same reason he loves Motley Crue. It’s a hollow exterior without any actual substance. He can act like he’s Mr. Badass Rocker with one and like he’s some kind of elevated musician with the other, and they’re just as hollow. Makes sense.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

This board is full of a bunch of gatekeepers. It's 20 year old kids from the suburbs of Dallas actually playing instruments at a high level, as opposed to just playing a laptop. I'm all for it. Everybody bitches about no new bands or "kids today only want to be DJs" but then some kids come along and do something with instruments and "they suck." Well they got 1.2 million views in 2 days so that's more than any of the bands worshipped on this board have gotten. If they can tour and sell out venues and get other young kids to be inspired to pick up an instrument, then more power to them. It's possible to appreciate your 70s and 80s music and also appreciate what's going on in 2022. You don't have to pick.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
Sleek

Post by Sleek »

No.

Mojo

Post by Mojo »

JackieDaytona wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 pm It's possible to appreciate your 70s and 80s music and also appreciate what's going on in 2022. You don't have to pick.
If something doesn’t sound good to you, what do you expect? Tons of bands out there with young people playing instruments. I presume you love them all, right?
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
CrusherVerdu
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by CrusherVerdu »

Do they have any songs that rhyme the words "please" and "knees" like KISS does? I like when KISS rhymes those words, it's the ginchiest.
NineteenEightyFour
Forming a Band

Post by NineteenEightyFour »

This is just shit the kids put on and it somehow makes them feel more intelligent and elitist than straightforward rock music.

I guess I don't hate that I watched it, at least Steve Vai was in it doing his thing.
HottKarl777

Post by HottKarl777 »

Looks like a bunch of stoner kids jamming with one of their dads
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

It’s guitar music lots of young girls are into, of course the old fucks on this board hate it.

It’s not for us.
GreatWhiteSnake

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

I just heard this on the way home from work tonight. I so enjoy and can appreciate this sort of thing on occasion. Certainly not a steady diet of it though...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557