Best Bassists that AREN'T Slap/Poppers or Funk

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MrBagel
Headlining Clubs

Best Bassists that AREN'T Slap/Poppers or Funk

Post by MrBagel »

Still on an Overkill binge and DD Verni has always stood out to me. I love his tone and high mix in the songs. He's got some serious chops; knows when to show off but also knows when to keep it easy and steady. Criminally overlooked in the grand scheme of things BUT he's generally the first to be thought of in the world of Overkill when people aren't bitchin' about Blitz's voice. :lol:
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 am Just because I love cock doesn't make me gay.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Best Bassists that AREN'T Slap/Poppers or Funk

Post by kytepunches »

I like what Matt Freeman brings to Rancid. Like in any punk band , the bass lines can be very simple and boring. I think he fills a lot of space and adds a level of professionalism to their sound.
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

Peter Hook from New Order and Joy Division was awesome
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
Traxan
Headlining Clubs

Post by Traxan »

Steve DiGiorgio
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Maybe not the absolute best but in rock/hard rock John Paul Jones and Robert DeLeo deserve mentions.

If it’s picking, Duff and Mike Dirnt. Very creative basslines.

Edited just to say re: below I’m not the biggest Kiss fan but it is correct to say that Gene is a very good bass player with very good pocket. Someone in the press compared his style to Paul McCartney recently and I get that’s it’s easy to mock a Beatles vs. Kiss comparison in any context, but that is Gene’s style as a bass player and he does it very well.
Last edited by SterileEyes1 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

As a lifelong bass player, the gold standard kinda rock bass players to me are guys like Mikey and Gene Simmons. I don’t even like Kiss, but there is an immaculate sense of pocket in everything they play and they play to the song.

Others I dig:
-Guy from Sade (not gonna bother lookin up his name but he’s great)
-John Siegler / T Bone Wolk - bass on Hall and Oates 80s hits is split between these two. Both animals.
Pino - all the great 80s fretless stuff outside of Sledgehammer is him
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

FreddyFender wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm As a lifelong bass player, the gold standard kinda rock bass players to me are guys like Mikey and Gene Simmons.
So you suck.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
MIInsane
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by MIInsane »

I've always thought that Eric Avery from Jane's Addiction doesn't get half the credit he deserves.
Please visit my blogspots for some cool shit:

http://miinsane.blogspot.com/

http://thecicadelicsixties.blogspot.com/ (garage/punk site)
MrBagel
Headlining Clubs

Post by MrBagel »

FreddyFender wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm As a lifelong bass player, the gold standard kinda rock bass players to me are guys like Mikey and Gene Simmons.
I won't be as harsh on ya as my ol' pal, Bono N, but I do scratch my head a little when you mention Gene Simmons and it's not for the normal reasons. Gene is fuckin' fantastic...when he wants to be, BUT he got lazy a loooong time ago and when you mention Gene as playing "in the pocket", I don't think he's playing in the pocket at all...I think he's just being lazy.

Now, if you were to take some of his earlier stuff (and he DOES have a few tasty licks during the non-makeup era but they are few and far between), Gene is awesome. Songs like "Two-Timer" and "Almost Human" are the first two that come to mind, but he's got quite a few hidden gems in the non-hits of that era. He's all over the fret board but he's not overdoing it either. There was a very VERY short period where Gene and ol' Pete were fucking phenomonol together musically (the b&w Winterland show comes to mind). Gene, with his travelling bass lines and Peter's "almost" jazz playing was unique and really could've put them in the same musical league as Ace, as far as music (not rock star) influence goes...BUT...they both got lazy in their own ways once success really hit. Pete with drugs and Gene with fame.

It's actually a shame but...oh well. Neither one could care less so I'm not going to either.
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 am Just because I love cock doesn't make me gay.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Twasnt Gene so much... he's at least halfway competent. The only things Sauce Sobolewski was good at were staying the fuck out of Eddie's way and singing like his balls were in a vise.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Venus Flytrap

Post by Venus Flytrap »

Paul McCartney
John Taylor
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Croucier for inventing the Sidejuander. /thread

LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:16 pm Maybe not the absolute best but in rock/hard rock John Paul Jones and Robert DeLeo deserve mentions.

If it’s picking, Duff and Mike Dirnt. Very creative basslines.

Edited just to say re: below I’m not the biggest Kiss fan but it is correct to say that Gene is a very good bass player with very good pocket. Someone in the press compared his style to Paul McCartney recently and I get that’s it’s easy to mock a Beatles vs. Kiss comparison in any context, but that is Gene’s style as a bass player and he does it very well.
Agree on all of this
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Busyness and complexity are minor when talking rock bass. Sense of time and pocket comes first, second, and third. Can’t tell you how many bass players, especially from the 80s era, can solo like they’re Cliff and lay down complex basslines in the studio but then you see them live and they can’t hold a groove when riding the 8th notes at all.

Mikey has the touch as good as anyone I’ve heard. Watch him play “Finish What Ya Started” with Sammy on Stern.

People that think he sucks are probably guitarists and therefore their opinions are irrelevant. :lol:
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

I've always liked Sami Yaffa's playing. It's always fitting to the music.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Aerosmith87 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:32 pm I've always liked Sami Yaffa's playing. It's always fitting to the music.
I concur.

I’ll add:

Tom Petersson (Cheap Trick)
Simon Gallup (The Cure)
Tommy Stinson (The Replacements)
Paul Raven (Killing Joke)
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

MrBagel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:54 pm
I won't be as harsh on ya as my ol' pal, Bono N, but I do scratch my head a little when you mention Gene Simmons and it's not for the normal reasons. Gene is fuckin' fantastic...when he wants to be, BUT he got lazy a loooong time ago and when you mention Gene as playing "in the pocket", I don't think he's playing in the pocket at all...I think he's just being lazy.

Now, if you were to take some of his earlier stuff (and he DOES have a few tasty licks during the non-makeup era but they are few and far between), Gene is awesome. Songs like "Two-Timer" and "Almost Human" are the first two that come to mind, but he's got quite a few hidden gems in the non-hits of that era. He's all over the fret board but he's not overdoing it either. There was a very VERY short period where Gene and ol' Pete were fucking phenomonol together musically (the b&w Winterland show comes to mind). Gene, with his travelling bass lines and Peter's "almost" jazz playing was unique and really could've put them in the same musical league as Ace, as far as music (not rock star) influence goes...BUT...they both got lazy in their own ways once success really hit. Pete with drugs and Gene with fame.

It's actually a shame but...oh well. Neither one could care less so I'm not going to either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KLQr8xV4HE
Hellsinkey
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Hellsinkey »

Paul Ryder (Happy Mondays)
risingfarce
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by risingfarce »

dmbrocker wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:34 pm Croucier for inventing the Sidejuander. /thread

That was a funny thread.
veritas
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by veritas »

Geddy Lee is always a safe answer.

I also think Bob Daisley is excellent.

Duff is also fantastic for GnR - usually adds something fantastic, like the bass in Sweet Child is a semi-hidden weapon - adds melody and drive to the song.
John Shaft
Saving Up For a Guitar

Post by John Shaft »

Though he was pretty pedestrian at first, Nicky Wire of Manic Street Preachers eventually became a STELLAR bassist. Extremely under rated.
Who's The Man?
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

FreddyFender wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:23 pm As a lifelong bass player, the gold standard kinda rock bass players to me are guys like Mikey and Gene Simmons. I don’t even like Kiss, but there is an immaculate sense of pocket in everything they play and they play to the song.

Others I dig:
-Guy from Sade (not gonna bother lookin up his name but he’s great)
-John Siegler / T Bone Wolk - bass on Hall and Oates 80s hits is split between these two. Both animals.
Pino - all the great 80s fretless stuff outside of Sledgehammer is him
Love Pino on “Give Blood” by Townsend. Also has Gilmour on guitar
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

We're heading for the day of reckoning, I'm telling ya.
Its all building up to something,
Something that can only be redeemed with fire!
jens

Post by jens »

Garry Tallent has always been (one of) the secret weapons of the E Street Band. Fantastic player.
thebends

Post by thebends »

I would add
Mike Mesaros- smithereens
Sven Pipien- black crowes
Phil Leah - Grateful Dead
RonJovi
Saving Up For a Guitar

Post by RonJovi »

Geezer butler. His counterpart to Tony and Bill and Ozzy was phenomenal
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Chris Squire

John Entwistle

Geddy Lee (only very rare slap/pop)

Jeff Berlin (did it on 5G, but I haven't heard on other tunes from him)

Ron Carter

Viktor Krauss

Edgar Meyer

Billy Sheehan

Colin Moulding (XTC)

Pete Trewavas (Marillion)

Bernard Edwards (Chic)
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

The Dream Theatre dude works his way around a bass pretty good. Also Tony Levin...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Tony Levin slaps...
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

GreatWhiteSnake wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:18 pm The Dream Theatre dude works his way around a bass pretty good. Also Tony Levin...
Levin slaps and pops a fair amount or at least he did with the 80's King Crimson and also when he pulls out his "funk fingers." I have a set of those, and they are fun to use on a bass.