Mick Mars In Depth Rolling Stone Interview

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

p86
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Mick Mars In Depth Rolling Stone Interview

Post by p86 »

Rolling Stone has published an in-depth interview with Mars that basically covers his whole career and the current situation with the Crue. It's a great read.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 234768041/
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Mick Mars In Depth Rolling Stone Interview

Post by HueyRamone »

Is Pool Guy in it?
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Mick just talks mostly about how badly his new pool was built
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

This Crue drama is like Succession but with total fucking idiots.
Now they’re trying to take my legacy away, my part of Mötley Crüe, my ownership of the name, the brand. How can you fire Mr. Heinz from Heinz ketchup? He owns it.
I think this means that Pooldude owns Motley Crue. He is the Mr. Heinz here.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

HueyRamone wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:14 pm Is Pool Guy in it?
He actually is.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

“Mick Mars and Eddie Van Halen were the two hottest guitar players in L.A.,” says Valentine. “There probably weren’t two better guitar players on the planet.”
:lol:
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

It’s arguably why he looks back at the Dr. Feelgood era with bitterness, even though it produced five hit singles and catapulted the band to superstardom. “We could have toured that for at least a year and a half,” Mars says. “We did nine months and I was like, ‘No! I’ll just say that somebody was sick in the band.’ When that tour was cut off, I was so disappointed.”

Sixx sounds genuinely baffled by this take. “Nobody in the band got sick,” he says. “We were all clean and sober, and we toured for a long time behind that record until it was probably time to stop touring. These are things that have never been said to us or management. Why would he not share these thoughts with [us] ever?”
Nikki really needs to pay attention when a reporter gives him an opportunity to rebut the claims of a former band mate.

And I know 9 months might seem like a long time to tour to him, but he really looks stupid saying things like that. He acts like it was all at once.
JamesHetfieldsAcneScars
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by JamesHetfieldsAcneScars »

If mick didnt play on new tattoo then who did?
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Somebody is confused because that’s clearly Mars on New Tattoo … that’s a Mars record no doubt.
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Remember when this solo album was supposed to be "bluesy"? Sounds like that idea got ditched.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Great read but I still need a flowchart or diagram or Ted Talk explaining how having backing tapes available to play for any time you make a mistake is any better than playing to tape.

“You use training wheels!”

“Oh yeah? Well you use arm floaties!”
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
gtshark1
Headlining Clubs

Post by gtshark1 »

He says the Feelgood tour was only 9 months. Nikki said it was longer. I'm too lazy to research. Anyone want to find the info? That will nail down who is full of shit on that one.

Overall it's s good read. Mars tells his side amd Motley has theirs. As aways the truth in general is probably a combo of both.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

gtshark1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:32 am He says the Feelgood tour was only 9 months. Nikki said it was longer. I'm too lazy to research. Anyone want to find the info? That will nail down who is full of shit on that one.

Overall it's s good read. Mars tells his side amd Motley has theirs. As aways the truth in general is probably a combo of both.
Quick Google search says - October 14, 1989 – August 5, 1990
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
Wednesday 13 Fan

gtshark1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:32 am He says the Feelgood tour was only 9 months. Nikki said it was longer. I'm too lazy to research. Anyone want to find the info? That will nail down who is full of shit on that one.

9 months plus two weeks...of course Rolling Stone doesn't acknowledge that. 🤣
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:15 pm Mick just talks mostly about how badly his new pool was built

Last edited by Turner Coates on Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

It's an interesting argument, compared to the "big tours" for bands like Guns n' Roses (UYI) and Metallica (Black Album), which ran more than two years each, nine months was relatively tame, but huge for almost anyone else. They did arenas then came back for a huge summer in the amphitheaters while doing international runs too.

I'm sure the idea was take a break, do the greatest hits album, then pick things back up and tour again on that, which makes all the sense in the world. Management probably didn't want to push "sober" Crue too hard either.

But they only did a handful of international dates for DOD. Nothing in the U.S. So maybe Mick has a point.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Mars stating that his only career regret is the Generation Swine album, confirms that he is telling the truth about everything else..........
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:01 pm
It’s arguably why he looks back at the Dr. Feelgood era with bitterness, even though it produced five hit singles and catapulted the band to superstardom. “We could have toured that for at least a year and a half,” Mars says. “We did nine months and I was like, ‘No! I’ll just say that somebody was sick in the band.’ When that tour was cut off, I was so disappointed.”

Sixx sounds genuinely baffled by this take. “Nobody in the band got sick,” he says. “We were all clean and sober, and we toured for a long time behind that record until it was probably time to stop touring. These are things that have never been said to us or management. Why would he not share these thoughts with [us] ever?”
Nikki really needs to pay attention when a reporter gives him an opportunity to rebut the claims of a former band mate.

And I know 9 months might seem like a long time to tour to him, but he really looks stupid saying things like that. He acts like it was all at once.
It certainly wasn't as long as what Def Leppard and Bon Jovi had just finished up, and as other people have stated, what Metallica and GNR were about to do, but I'm kind of with Nikki here, if Mick had such a big problem with not touring enough on Feelgood before doing the Greatest Hits album, why was it never brought up before?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Anthrax442 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:04 am
Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:01 pm

It certainly wasn't as long as what Def Leppard and Bon Jovi had just finished up, and as other people have stated, what Metallica and GNR were about to do, but I'm kind of with Nikki here, if Mick had such a big problem with not touring enough on Feelgood before doing the Greatest Hits album, why was it never brought up before?
If Nikki was telling the truth in the Dirt(ha!) about how they treated Mick in the 80s, it's understandable that he would just keep quiet.
Jason Jennifer Leigh
Headlining Clubs

Post by Jason Jennifer Leigh »

Yeah it wouldn’t have done any good to bring it up.

Do we all agree that’s Mick on “New Tattoo”?
The Prez

Post by The Prez »

JamesHetfieldsAcneScars wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:37 pm If mick didnt play on new tattoo then who did?
He must have been referring to writing credits since he didn't get to participate in the process because it's clearly him on that record.
Is this article the first time(?) Sixx acknowledged it was Ashba doing most of the guitars on SOLA?
endstand

Post by endstand »

“The feed of guitar into my in-ear monitor was horrible. It would break up, and nobody else’s seemed to break up but mine. And then they’d switch to prerecorded crap from rehearsals, when I was just relearning the songs. They did it to make me look bad.”

Sounds fishy, weird and hard to believe. The band is playing stadiums and although there would be some legal shit going on, doing something like this on purpose during shows sounds just ridiculous.

While I 100% think that if Mick has been treated unfairly, that definitely should be sorted out legally. But many of his claims are just odd.

And no doubt Nikki Sixx might be an egomaniac and hard to work with, it is him who has kept the band and the brand going all this time. So Mick pretty much saying that he is the one who has carried the band is just silly.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:17 am

9 months plus two weeks...of course Rolling Stone doesn't acknowledge that. 🤣
There's no time for fact-checking in web journalism.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
lizardking
Taking Music Lessons

Post by lizardking »

Motley has the right to continue to tour if he does not want to, and if they do Mick should NOT be entitled to any of the money.
What's more of a joke, a rock n' roll icon, playing in front of thousands of fans with a legendary catalogue of classic songs, or some anonymous loser that can't stop whining about him?
EddieVanHeineken
Headlining Clubs

Post by EddieVanHeineken »

This quote made me laugh:

“Mick Mars and Eddie Van Halen were the two hottest guitar players in L.A.,” says Valentine. “There probably weren’t two better guitar players on the planet.”

I like mick but there is absolutely no way he was anywhere near Evh, randy or George back then.

He has a big sound and plays what he plays consistently and well enough. But c’mon… there’s hyperbole and then theirs pure bullshit.
It's a mans obligation,
to stick his boneration,
into a womans

seperation,
to increase the population
of the future generation
if you'd like a

demonstration lie down
-Cartman
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

lizardking wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:23 pm Motley has the right to continue to tour if he does not want to, and if they do Mick should NOT be entitled to any of the money.
Why not. It's not a gang of brothers in a garage band, it's a multimillion dollar business.

Two brothers co-own my company. If one decides he doesnt want to do his day-to-day, he doesnt automatically lose all his shares. If Mick Jones doesnt play any more live shows with Forigner, he's not gonna give up his business.

There's no way of knowing what the contracts stipulate. Motley Crue by now is prolly 10 different companies. It'll be for the lawyers to hash out.

The stuff from both sides, "If he doesnt play, he doesnt get paid" and "We always stated I was gonna keep on as a non-touring member" is just shit for the public to be able to grasp onto.

Im sure the real thing will be something like: "Mick retains his 14% share of Motley Inc, He forfeits his claim to any money from Crue Tours, LLC after a payout of $_________, His participation in Crue Recordings is now eliminated with this lump sum payment of $___________, though he retains publishing, and his single board vote remains, etc erc etc...

And neither side will be forthcoming about what the end result is, either.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
PBFSUCKS
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by PBFSUCKS »

lizardking wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:23 pm Motley has the right to continue to tour if he does not want to, and if they do Mick should NOT be entitled to any of the money.
He shouldn’t get money as a touring part of the band but if he still is a 1/4 part of business. He should get a share of profits.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yep. Bun E. went thru the same thing with Trick.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

endstand wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:05 pm Sounds fishy, weird and hard to believe. The band is playing stadiums and although there would be some legal shit going on, doing something like this on purpose during shows sounds just ridiculous.
This is a band who gives absolutely zero fucks about their live show. Their singer hasn't sang more than 40% of a show since the late 80's and they don't even try to hide the fact that they're miming to tracks. They're so fucking delusional that they have no idea what they even sound like, or truly, truly don't care. I would 100% believe that Nikki would put a personal grudge with any of those dudes over the quality of their show. And the fans 100% back this notion because they still show up no matter what.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah I find it hard to believe that they would intentionally sabotage him... he was just as unable to play onstage as the rest of them and was totally dependent on the tapes too. He didn't want to tour anymore and they didn't want to pay him for not touring.