Biggest fall from grace?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Biggest fall from grace?

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

Brian Wilson. He released the best album of all time (Pet Sounds) then his mental health went downhill and never recovered.
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
BulletProofPoet
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BulletProofPoet »

Ryan Adams - his Whiskeytown and first few solo albums were great and the. It just started a quicker and quicker decline to not having any good songs.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Dave Ellefson. He was in a band (Megadeth) that headlined halls and mid-size arenas. They also co-headlined summer sheds.

Now he's the butt of jokes because of an online jerk-off session with some chick 40 years younger than him.

Now he bounces between 3 or 4 bands that play small clubs no matter where they go.
Danzig in the Dark
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:34 am
Charles Bukaki wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:50 am I'd say Twisted Sister should towards the top of the list, they went from two massive hits to Dee Snider riding a ten speed to a minimum wage office job a few years later. They were probably not going to be much more than a two hit wonder but if they weren't so gimmicky, they probably could have a WASP sized career.

Lmao, Twisted Sister was never a big deal.

And what hits are you even talking about? We're Not Going To Take It did well on rock radio, but nothing else did. I Wanna Rock was barely top 40 on Mainstream Rock. They had their little rock radio hit, and didn't do shit before or after.
Seriously.
I like TS but they got lucky so if it was a fall from grace, it was no bigger than a hundred other bands who had their moment and disappeared.

WASP sized career? :lol:
Last edited by Danzig in the Dark on Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

Tommy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:11 pm Bon Jovi. If putting asses in the seats is the criteria then I'm wrong. If making good records is the criteria then it's them. After New Jersey is all been shit. Fight me.
Thay have always had shitty music. Are there dudes that like Bon Jovi?
If Jon and Richie looked like the rest of the band, their career would have been like every other middle of the road hair band.
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

BulletProofPoet wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:10 pm Ryan Adams - his Whiskeytown and first few solo albums were great and the. It just started a quicker and quicker decline to not having any good songs.
THIS. I don't want LAGR to give me any more grief on the matter but I gotta co-sign this.

I hung in there for a while. 29 is when I was kinda like "Okay, the downward slide is starting." I can't think of one song I liked on that album.

Every album after that had one or two amazing songs and then a bunch of Grateful Dead-sounding filler.

I guess now he's just doing bad 80's rock. I haven't listened to a lot of it. I really liked "I'm Sorry and I Love You." Didn't explore much further though.

I listened to about a song each of those recent cover albums he did and it was some of the worst shit I ever heard in my life.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

I would say Van Halen is the one band that almost seemed hellbent on getting in their own way.

Ed taking, what, a decade to just drink bum wine in an empty house? One of the greatest bands of all time but after a certain point (Hagar getting canned the first time) they just could not stop fucking up.

Even when they got Roth back and it seemed like they were going to be a functional band again (after another trip to The 'Hab), they refused to make things easy on themselves. Just total fuckups until the end.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Agree. There were only 3 ppl in America who didn't want them to get back together with Roth in '96 - the bros. and their stupid manager, who was the only one who thought it was a good idea to hire The Boston Prancer as singer #3.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SW
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by SW »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:46 am
superglide88 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:34 am GNR by a landslide. From being one of the, if not THE biggest rock band on the planet in the early 90s riding the wave of the Illusions and becoming a household name to releasing a shitty covers album, self imploding and sizzling out in a relative short time.
"""""""""""""""GNR by a landslide. """""""""""""""

You're kidding right? :roll:

Or, I guess you missed their last 5 year plus run, of massive attendance globally?

$600M alone for their NITLT tour, 2016-2019 making it Top 5 all-time... that's hardly a fall from grace.

$tEvil
What does these touring numbers have to do with the horrible output of music for last 30+ years?
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:50 am I'd say Twisted Sister should towards the top of the list, they went from two massive hits to Dee Snider riding a ten speed to a minimum wage office job a few years later. They were probably not going to be much more than a two hit wonder but if they weren't so gimmicky, they probably could have a WASP sized career.
I read the Dee autobiography. 1st record sells 5M. They recorded their second album, had a massive stage show/tour planned and the first single “Lead of the Pack” (Dee idea) tanks. "Be Chrool to Your Scuel" is the second single but MTV bans it.

It was all downhill from there.
"Chinese Democracy is one of the most anticipated albums OF ALL TIME"
Brownstone658
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

john3232 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:57 pm
I read the Dee autobiography. 1st record sells 5M. They recorded their second album, had a massive stage show/tour planned and the first single “Lead of the Pack” (Dee idea) tanks. "Be Chrool to Your Scuel" is the second single but MTV bans it.

First album 5 million?.... "Under the Blade"?.... I guess you think "Stay Hungry" is the first album, don't you?
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

inextrem wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:32 am

First album 5 million?.... "Under the Blade"?.... I guess you think "Stay Hungry" is the first album, don't you?

Right. Stay Hungry.

Dee wrote about attending a baseball incognito and hearing, "We're not going to take it" blasting on a kid’s radio. The older boy alongside the kid told him to "Turn that shit off? T.W. sucks"

At which point Dee knew the band was in trouble.
Brownstone658
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

As mentioned in another thread....

JD Fortune spent six years touring the world as the frontman for INXS. Was on TV, made a top-20 album.

He cleans cars out for a living now.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

john3232 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:43 pm

Right. Stay Hungry.

Dee wrote about attending a baseball incognito and hearing, "We're not going to take it" blasting on a kid’s radio. The older boy alongside the kid told him to "Turn that shit off? T.W. sucks"

I'm almost done reading the book...

Another hint was issueing a call for extras for a video (COAP era of course) and nobody showed up...

The whole Leader of the Pack controversy actually amazes me, I really dig the song, it's the video that sucks...Not sure all the backlash was deserved just because of a crap video... It's really not much different a tune from GnR covering Since I Don't Have You on the Spag album, which I believe was the lead single as well...
Last edited by Psychobolia.com on Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I could *kinda* get if a casual thought Stay hungry was the first album.

I'd be surprised if a Sludger didnt know about Under the Blade and YCSRNR

I'm shocked that a reader of the damn autobiography doesnt know that Stay hungry and COAP arent the first and second album.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

HueyRamone wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:18 pm

I could *kinda* get if a casual thought Stay hungry was the first album.

I'd be surprised if a Sludger didnt know about Under the Blade and YCSRNR

I'm shocked that a reader of the damn autobiography doesnt know that Stay hungry and COAP arent the first and second album.
I was never a fan of T.S. but enjoyed Dee's book. I was aware Stay Hungry wasn't their first record and should have written follow up record. In any case the T.W. fall from grace was swift.
Brownstone658
john3232
Headlining Clubs

Post by john3232 »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:29 pm
john3232 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:43 pm

Right. Stay Hungry.

I'm almost done reading the book...

Another hint was issueing a call for extras for a video (COAP era of course) and nobody showed up...

The whole Leader of the Pack controversy actually amazes me, I really dig their video, it's the video that sucks...Not sure all the backlash was deserved just because of a crap video... It's really not much different a tune from GnR covering Since I Don't Have You on the Spag album, which I believe was the lead single as well...
One of the best parts of the book wsa Dee running into a former co-worker who enjoyed mocking Dee when calling him over the loudspeaker, “Rockstar needed over at…”

Later while enjoying the massive wave of Stay Hungry, Dee runs across the man again.

The former co-worker now a janitor(?) in a building Dee where was doing promotion or something. “Hi, it’s me, Mr. Rockstar… remember me?”

The man most certainly did and revenge was sweet for Dee.
Brownstone658
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:29 pm The whole Leader of the Pack controversy actually amazes me, I really dig the song, it's the video that sucks...Not sure all the backlash was deserved just because of a crap video... It's really not much different a tune from GnR covering Since I Don't Have You on the Spag album, which I believe was the lead single as well...
Objectively Leader is probably a good song in its genre. But as the lead-off single for a major label hair metal band in 1985 it is totally wrong. TS and their label were way out of touch with what the fans wanted then, see also Be Chrool to Your Scuel with guests like the guy from Springsteen's band, Billy Joel and that guy from Stray Cats. Maybe they saw that Mötley got a hit with an old cover (Smokin') and wanted to repeat it, but that was an exception.

TS were already on the way out when they released COAP, but sticking to the formula and releasing something like Looking Out for #1 or You Want What We Got with a video in the style of IWR and WNGTI would at least have prevented a backlash.

The Guns example is a bit different, GnR were much bigger and more established as an arena/stadium act in 1993 so they had the fanbase, and they were a much more diverse band to start with.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:37 am
EnuffRatt wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:41 am Check out Britney Spears on Instagram and get back to me.
Check. She's so far gone that an NBA player who's yet to take a dribble is snubbing her and have his posse shoo her away.
Yes, but a 19 year-old with a $55 million NBA contract and a rumored $100 million Nike deal wouldn't be looking at a 41 year-old woman anyway. Even if her peak fame hadn't occurred before he was even born. That kid who's never taken a dribble has way more appeal to hot prime women than anyone in this group ever had.