35th anniversary of Cult of Personality

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

35th anniversary of Cult of Personality

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

These guys shook up the world when this dropped... it was like P-Funk with John Bonham on drums. Too bad they fizzled out so quick...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CurndMgg ... BiNWFlZA==
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Zabooka
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: 35th anniversary of Cult of Personality

Post by Zabooka »

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Zabooka wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:27 pm Image
Correct. I was a fan of the song before Punk started using it as his entrance music, but yeah, most of us think of him when hearing “Cult of Personality” now. Speaking of guys fizzling out…
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Kyle Schwarber uses it too.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

I love that wank off solo.

But was thinking about the song ‘glamor boys’ the other day.
I remember being 14 & thinking the “I’m fierce!” was lame
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

DangerZone wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:19 pm I love that wank off solo.

Blame Sir Mick, he produced that one. Jeff Beck was a Living Colour fan but I remember him slagging that song in Guitar as sounding "like a pop song from 1975" in comparison to the rest of the album.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

"Now you can tear a building down, but you can't erase a memory..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5VkMqM07s&t=1s

Another great Living Colour tune.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:27 pm
DangerZone wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:19 pm I love that wank off solo.

Blame Sir Mick, he produced that one. Jeff Beck was a Living Colour fan but I remember him slagging that song in Guitar as sounding "like a pop song from 1975" in comparison to the rest of the album.
Dang.
Good battle would be who’s the better producer,
Gene Simmons or jagger?
TeslaFan
Recording Debut Album

Post by TeslaFan »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:24 pm These guys shook up the world when this dropped... it was like P-Funk with John Bonham on drums. Too bad they fizzled out so quick...

Killer song. They followed up with “Glamour Boys” if memory serves. It’s all about the song and they just didn’t have more of them this good.
Just a regular guy who likes Metal
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Two killer tracks and a bunch of filler.
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

I must listen to Stain again. Now that's a great album.

Queued up to Doug Wimbish's insane bass part near the end of "Go Away":

https://youtu.be/KjjPFe7cKOw?t=190
Last edited by Newsted's FU Money on Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

TeslaFan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:59 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:24 pm These guys shook up the world when this dropped... it was like P-Funk with John Bonham on drums. Too bad they fizzled out so quick...

Killer song. They followed up with “Glamour Boys” if memory serves. It’s all about the song and they just didn’t have more of them this good.
I remember another video or two- something about ‘rears it’s head.’
I didn’t like it
Last edited by DangerZone on Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

They had good songs 3 albums in, they just weren't top 40 hits.

Re: Glamour Boys. For some reason, even at 8 years old, I thought that was a bit of satire. Maybe because the "I'm fierce" line was just so hard to take seriously. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm looking at it a little similar to "Money for Nothing" if you get what I mean.
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

Very good debut album. (I liked the second one too, though not as much.) I hated the solo in "Cult of Personality" from the first listen and I've never come around to appreciate it, even a little bit, since. Vernon Reid really can play, but that solo makes the solo in Twisted Sister's "We're Not Going To Take It" sound sophisticated and tasteful by comparison.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

CrankerBait wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:31 am Very good debut album. (I liked the second one too, though not as much.) I hated the solo in "Cult of Personality" from the first listen and I've never come around to appreciate it, even a little bit, since. Vernon Reid really can play, but that solo makes the solo in Twisted Sister's "We're Not Going To Take It" sound sophisticated and tasteful by comparison.
I was going to say the same regarding the solo. Brilliant song that I still like to hear, but that solo is not melodic/tasteful and is full of dissonance.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Vernon Reid came up in James Blood Ulmer's Black Rock Coalition, who were devotees of Ornette Coleman's "harmolodic" free jazz. The solo was meant to be atonal, and I think it fits perfectly - it's dangerous and out-of-control, just like the overall sound and feel of the track. A welcome respite from all the overrehearsed and overproduced arpeggios, sweep-picking, and hamner-ons that were polluting the guitar solos of the time.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:56 am Vernon Reid came up in James Blood Ulmer's Black Rock Coalition, who were devotees of Ornette Coleman's "harmolodic" free jazz. The solo was meant to be atonal, and I think it fits perfectly - it's dangerous and out-of-control, just like the overall sound and feel of the track. A welcome respite from all the overrehearsed and overproduced arpeggios, sweep-picking, and hamner-ons that were polluting the guitar solos of the time.
Sweet. I've learned something. That I can randomly noodle across all keys and scales, call it "free jazz", and impress no one.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

A few million people were impressed enough by that record that they went out and bought it.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:18 am A few million people were impressed enough by that record that they went out and bought it.
People bought KISS records too. There is no explaining bad taste.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:20 am
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:18 am A few million people were impressed enough by that record that they went out and bought it.
Or a cranky old white dude who claims he's "TooOldToCare" yet constantly bitches and moans.
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 am
TooOldToCare wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:20 am
Or a cranky old white dude who claims he's "TooOldToCare" yet constantly bitches and moans.
That's at least the 3rd time you've been unable to separate my stupid nym on a stupid message board from dumb sludging. Take a Xanax. You bitch and moan about others' opinions as much as anyone on the board.

EDIT: I'll ask the mod if she can change my nym to "Bono Nettencourt2" cuz it's clever.
Last edited by TooOldToCare on Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Oh, you keep score too. So much for "not caring"...
TooOldToCare

Post by TooOldToCare »

One has to know when they're surrounded by idiots.
Hellbound

Post by Hellbound »

Newsted's FU Money wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:48 pm I must listen to Stain again. Now that's a great album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjjPFe7cKOw
Fuckin' finally someone else notices that mad bit.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:56 am Vernon Reid came up in James Blood Ulmer's Black Rock Coalition, who were devotees of Ornette Coleman's "harmolodic" free jazz. The solo was meant to be atonal, and I think it fits perfectly - it's dangerous and out-of-control, just like the overall sound and feel of the track. A welcome respite from all the overrehearsed and overproduced arpeggios, sweep-picking, and hamner-ons that were polluting the guitar solos of the time.
Yes.
I love it.
‘Sounds like’ nonsense by a person who can actually play.
There is a difference
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

dmbrocker wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:14 pm
Zabooka wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:27 pm Image
Correct. I was a fan of the song before Punk started using it as his entrance music, but yeah, most of us think of him when hearing “Cult of Personality” now. Speaking of guys fizzling out…
He's back.

He was out of wrestling for 7 years and he's been in AEW for almost 2 now. Long story but they kinda gave him his own wrestling show. It's on tonight at 8, actually.
killeverything
A Drinking Fan With A Baseball Problem

Post by killeverything »

Hellbound wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:21 pm
Newsted's FU Money wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:48 pm I must listen to Stain again. Now that's a great album.

Stain is one of the best albums to come out in the 90s. I think it destroys all their other work. That album was flawless.

Their performance on Letterman was probably my fave:

https://youtu.be/1mizt-xUrqg
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

killeverything wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:13 pm

Stain is one of the best albums to come out in the 90s. I think it destroys all their other work. That album was flawless.
https://youtu.be/cDGlN6mluGA
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

Bono's a suckit alt, right?

Just trying to account for the horrible taste here. These ledgers are out of control.
metalnyc

Post by metalnyc »

killeverything wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:13 pm

Their performance on Letterman was probably my fave:

https://youtu.be/1mizt-xUrqg
So true. First time I saw them was on this tour and have seen them about 5-6 times since and always flawless. Corey Glover doesn't get the recognition he should as just one of the best singers out there whose voice has stayed perfect.