Is "Steal My Sunshine" a classic?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Is "Steal My Sunshine" a classic?

Post by Mister Freeze »

This song is in two different commercials right now. One for an auto company. Another for Lipton ice tea.

Do you like "Steal My Sunshine"? Do you love it? Does it stand the test of time? Have you ever said, "God damn, I love me some Len"?

Did you even know Len is the artist behind "Steal My Sunshine" and Len is a band, not some dude.

I haven't seen Bob Dylan's songs in any commercials lately. And his catalog sold for more than $150 million. By my calculations, the Len catalog is worth more.

Facts. You can't argue with facts.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Billy Jack
Headlining Clubs

Re: Is "Steal My Sunshine" a classic?

Post by Billy Jack »

Always loved this song in the "guilty pleasure" category. Even loved the video,,, crushing the town/beach on Vespas. Pure Pop and infectious.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

Billy Jack wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:59 am Always loved this song in the "guilty pleasure" category. Even loved the video,,, crushing the town/beach on Vespas. Pure Pop and infectious.
Pretty much this. It is not overplayed and I will crank it everytime
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Not exactly a classic, but a solid underrated late 90's song that spent quite a bit of time on MTV when it first came out. I like it enough, I guess.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

I hate it. But I do hear it everywhere. So yes, an annoying classic.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Used to like it. Very weird. Not my type of music at all. But...yes...it's all over the place now.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I like it for some reason. I called it my "feelgood hit of the summer" in 1999.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

Absolutely knew that it was Len, and that Len is, indeed, a band. A local-ish guy was in the band for a time.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

I’m sure it is in the West Hollywood version of Long Beach
ParaDime77

Post by ParaDime77 »

Loved the song in the movie “Go” released back in 98 or 99.
Everyone Is Someone Else's Bitch
Grendel
Headlining Clubs

Post by Grendel »

No
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:Learn the concept of keep your mouth shut or you will remained foed.
magnersman
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by magnersman »

Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 am By my calculations, the Len catalog is worth more.
Only on metal sludge. You really dont have a clue
EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by EatNails »

Hated it when I first caught it on MTV.

Went into a record store not long after, and liked what was playing. Asked the guy, and he said it was Len. Steal worked better for me in the album context, and now I quite like it. I think the whole album is a masterpiece for it's style actually. I would have liked more music from them.

It also plays on the 'in-store' radio network for Winn Dixie. If you're in the store more than 30 minutes you will hear it. Probably twice.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

I would say it's probably a summer classic at this point. What does that make the Andrea True song More, More, More - the song it heavily samples? A 70's dance classic?
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:08 pm I would say it's probably a summer classic at this point. What does that make the Andrea True song More, More, More - the song it heavily samples? A 70's dance classic?
I came here to say "More More More" is a classic. "Steal My Sunshine" is not.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

exitflagger wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:08 pm I would say it's probably a summer classic at this point. What does that make the Andrea True song More, More, More - the song it heavily samples? A 70's dance classic?
Hey, it doesn't mean I like it, but it's unavoidable in the summer at this point.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:39 pm Hey, it doesn't mean I like it, but it's unavoidable in the summer at this point.
I hear ya. The heat doesn't seem to affect my mute button or station dial though.

And speaking of unavoidable, how many fucking commercials are using "Genius Of Love"? Like a hundred? I guess certain people are not making much off the Talking Heads so the back end cash needs to flow in from somewhere.
ImageImage
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

magnersman wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:56 pm
Mister Freeze wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 am By my calculations, the Len catalog is worth more.
Only on metal sludge. You really dont have a clue

You missed a million miles of fun.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Blotzer's Treehouse
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Blotzer's Treehouse »

The group was a brother and sister from Toronto. Steal my sunshine is not bad for how many times I've heard it, not too annoying yet. It's recieved a lot of airplay for years on Canadian radio as there is a law that requires a certain amount of "Canadian content". They had another ok song around the same time that was occasionally on the radio, "Feelin' Alright". Never dug any deeper into their cataolg than those 2 songs.
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

CC Deville played the guitar solo on "Feelin' Alright"
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

exitflagger wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:29 pm
Nope. Most people still alive don't know that song. Steal My Sunshine is still played constantly.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

When they toured the record they did a thing with Tower Records where, if you bought the CD on the day of the show you got a ticket to the concert. I bought the CD & went to the concert. I remember the CD being meh & the concert being pathetic. With that said, yes, SMS is a classic.
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

Americans just can't seem get enough Canadian music. They love it.
Canadian dirtbag
Forming a Band

Post by Canadian dirtbag »

Absolute dogshit! There were many things wrong about the 90's and this is near the top of the list. So putrid.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

exitflagger wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:58 pm
Dyslexicheart wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:39 pm Hey, it doesn't mean I like it, but it's unavoidable in the summer at this point.
I hear ya. The heat doesn't seem to affect my mute button or station dial though.

And speaking of unavoidable, how many fucking commercials are using "Genius Of Love"? Like a hundred? I guess certain people are not making much off the Talking Heads so the back end cash needs to flow in from somewhere.
GoL is great. Better than most of the Heads catalog. The Talking Heads was music for rock critics to feel smug by.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:31 pm
exitflagger wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:58 pm And speaking of unavoidable, how many fucking commercials are using "Genius Of Love"? Like a hundred? I guess certain people are not making much off the Talking Heads so the back end cash needs to flow in from somewhere.
GoL is great. Better than most of the Heads catalog. The Talking Heads was music for rock critics to feel smug by.

I started a thread on here a while back about songs you'd want to own stock in. That one has to be near the top of the list along with "Alright" by Supergrass.
exitflagger

Post by exitflagger »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:14 am Nope. Most people still alive don't know that song. Steal My Sunshine is still played constantly.
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:31 pm GoL is great. Better than most of the Heads catalog. The Talking Heads was music for rock critics to feel smug by.
:lol: Dumbasses are funny. Never change, sludge.
ImageImage
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
itdoesntmatter
Headlining Clubs

Post by itdoesntmatter »

My timing could be off but it seems like that song, the one hit by Lit, Smash Mouth “All Star,” What’s My Age Again?, Scar Tissue, and probably a couple Sugar Ray songs were all over the place around the same time. I may have a little too much nostalgia for that era. I don’t know if any of them were classics but the Len song certainly lives on.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

itdoesntmatter wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:20 pm My timing could be off but it seems like that song, the one hit by Lit, Smash Mouth “All Star,” What’s My Age Again?, Scar Tissue, and probably a couple Sugar Ray songs were all over the place around the same time. I may have a little too much nostalgia for that era. I don’t know if any of them were classics but the Len song certainly lives on.
I sort of agree with you. For me this Len song was never even close to the other songs you mentioned. At least not in my circles circa, what, '99? I would have been 20.