Def Lep club show - Phil Collen sucks

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

superglide88
Headlining Clubs

Def Lep club show - Phil Collen sucks

Post by superglide88 »

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-pro ... n-35-years

Professionally filmed video of the entire Leadmill concert, courtesy of the DefLeppardHD YouTube channel, can be seen below.

Featured songs:

0:00 - Intro
0:08 - Action (SWEET cover)
4:05 - Fire It Up
7:53 - Let It Go
13:29 - Too Late For Love
19:16 - Excitable
23:51 - Mirror, Mirror (Look Into My Eyes)
28:07 - Slang
30:51 - Kick
35:35 - Bringin' On The Heartbreak
40:12 - Switch 625
43:30 - Rick Allen Drum Solo
45:15 - Hysteria
52:03 - Pour Some Sugar On Me
56:17 - Wasted
1:00:31 - Outro

DEF LEPPARD wanted to shine a light on The Leadmill, a vital part of the Sheffield and national U.K. music scene which is among many of the small U.K. music venues threatened with closure. Net proceeds from ticket sales from The Leadmill show were donated to Music Venue Trust who diligently work to help struggling U.K. music venues.

While the setlist is ok, you gotta wonder how the fuck it’s possible Collen sucks all the life out of those old songs while Viv seems to be sleeping. Is it his tone? Sterility? Wasted just plain out sucks balls guitar wise.
Vandermint wrote:At best, KISS is Alice Cooper for dumb people
eddie lee roth wrote:myself and members of my family could use some help but I'm supposed to help some fucker in a banana suit first.
Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit :!:
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Re: Def Lep club show - Phil Collen sucks

Post by Dyslexicheart »

No Photograph? No Foolin'? Pfft....

I'll give them credit for helping a good cause.
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

I would actually be interested in seeing Def Leppard with that set list.
pieceofme
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by pieceofme »

Wild Obsession wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:37 am I would actually be interested in seeing Def Leppard with that set list.
Same.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

superglide88 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04 am While the setlist is ok, you gotta wonder how the fuck it’s possible Collen sucks all the life out of those old songs while Viv seems to be sleeping. Is it his tone? Sterility? Wasted just plain out sucks balls guitar wise.
I listened to a bit of it on my phone and it sounded really tinny. Just played it through my good computer speakers and it sounds like Def Leppard to me, man!

Phil is the Adrenalize guy, remember. Steve Clark was the High & Dry guy! That's the way it's always been. That's probably why Hysteria and Pyromania were so great. That was both of them.

Joe Elliot gets more credit than he deserves though. Don't even think about A/B'ing that performance with the original records!!!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
JinglesTheChristmasMouse
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by JinglesTheChristmasMouse »

Long live Pete.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:09 am
superglide88 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:04 am While the setlist is ok, you gotta wonder how the fuck it’s possible Collen sucks all the life out of those old songs while Viv seems to be sleeping. Is it his tone? Sterility? Wasted just plain out sucks balls guitar wise.
I listened to a bit of it on my phone and it sounded really tinny. Just played it through my good computer speakers and it sounds like Def Leppard to me, man!

Phil is the Adrenalize guy, remember. Steve Clark was the High & Dry guy! That's the way it's always been. That's probably why Hysteria and Pyromania were so great. That was both of them.

Joe Elliot gets more credit than he deserves though. Don't even think about A/B'ing that performance with the original records!!!

I get that you're joking, but superglide isn't wrong, it does sound pretty thin, and you can barely here Vivian, even on the rare solo spot he gets. I'm going to assume it's just due to nature of the show and their gear probably wasn't tweaked for that type of show.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Well…he’s had back issues for a while.
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:09 am

I don’t mind Hysteria now but I didn’t love it in the 80s. We all know it sold a gagillon copies so what do I know?

I did see them on Adrenalize when Vivian was still allowed to let loose and rip. He and Phil did a break down jam and trades licks, Viv was in a different league than Phil. I didn’t love that album but the show was stellar. I liked more of the album cuts than I did the two big rock hits. Dollars to donuts Tonight’s riff is a Steve Clark leftover.

Joe has always been pitchy live. I have bootlegs from the Pyromania tour and he sounds like ass.
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

JinglesTheChristmasMouse wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:37 pm Long live Pete.
An addict, ass-hat and nothing special...

He's exactly where he was supposed to end up...

After all was said and done, he was left in the dust 4+ decades ago and is unknown to 99.99% of their fanbase.

$tEvil
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:10 pm

After all was said and done, he was left in the dust 4+ decades ago and is unknown to 99.99% of their fanbase.

$tEvil

Why is Pete an addict (he’s a former addict) and ass-hat but Steve isn’t?

Def Leppard has gotten progressively worse without them. The band are literally riding on the riffs that those two addicts built.

I give Hysteria a pass but it’s nowhere near as good as Pyromania and HND.
Van Ailin'
Headlining Clubs

Post by Van Ailin' »

Phil Collen has at times been a good soloist, when coached to it by solid arrangers. He's never been the strong riff guy, and this was immediately apparent on Adrenalize with any song that didn't have a Clark credit. Last In Line shows that Viv can still be, but those metal-type riffs that follow the "Evil Eyes" template also don't really fit Leppard. Clark did more of the really cool single string riffs with huge distortion that betrayed a bit Jimmy Page influence. They've lacked that ever since and in fact started lacking it even on Hysteria. Mutt Lange helped them paper over it by helping Joe write strong vocal melodies. I don't hear any other co-writers doing that as well for them.

They're still good for 2-3 solid tracks per album, songs you might want to hear at a show. So many bands get to that at the 15-20 year mark, and Def Leppard is now over 40 years in, about where Page/Plant were during the reunion album. I can think of (a few) jazz acts or singer-songwriters who made "solid all the way through" records that long into a career. Adrian Belew is one of those. Paul McCartney did it with Chaos & Creation, but I'd also say that almost all his other albums from early 80s onwards are maybe 2-4 solid McCartney songs that are good additions to his catalogue and otherwise mediocre.

But most rock bands just can't even do that. The energy needed for that music seems to (in most cases) last 10-15 years, at most.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:50 pm

$tEvil

Why is Pete an addict (he’s a former addict) and ass-hat but Steve isn’t?

Def Leppard has gotten progressively worse without them. The band are literally riding on the riffs that those two addicts built.

I give Hysteria a pass but it’s nowhere near as good as Pyromania and HND.
Phil came in on the tail end of ‘Pyromania.’
The ceo, unfortunately, respects ‘winners,’ and tends to view in black & white
zz666
Headlining Clubs

Post by zz666 »

Phil’s ‘shredding’ is awful. So is their live guitar tone. They’ve used the same amps (Marshall JMP1’s) for years and they sound like shit. Maiden use them as well. Just tone suckers
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Steven Clark and Pete Willis both struggled with addiction.

They also wrote 90% of the songs people want to hear played at Def Leppard concerts.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Steven Clark and Pete Willis both struggled with addiction.

They also wrote 90% of the songs people want to hear played at Def Leppard concerts.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I dig Foolin' / Photograph as much as everyone else, but that's a refreshing setlist.
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

If you wanna be shirtless 24/7 and write good riffs, you better be named Matt fucking Pike.
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by jens »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:34 am I dig Foolin' / Photograph as much as everyone else, but that's a refreshing setlist.
Especially if it's a one-off gig in a tiny place. Should've dropped Sugar too.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

zz666 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:38 am Phil’s ‘shredding’ is awful. So is their live guitar tone. They’ve used the same amps (Marshall JMP1’s) for years and they sound like shit. Maiden use them as well. Just tone suckers
Jeezis Christ... that's why I can't stand going back and listening to the old Extreme shit, those goddamn ADA-1 rack preamps... they're all gain, no tone.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
EzyRider
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by EzyRider »

Newsted's FU Money wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:06 am If you wanna be shirtless 24/7 and write good riffs, you better be named Matt fucking Pike.
:D :D :D

I saw High On Fire open for someone (Anthrax?) at the old Hard Rock Downtown Disney Anaheim and he had an impressive shirtless/riffing presence
It's good to be bad
It's the best time you'll ever have
What the hell is this ultra sad
Pray for your cool and work on that ass!
Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

$tEvil
maybe to the fans that came on board during hysteria. 99.9% of fans that gave up on the band after hysteria came out credit him for the first 3 albums.
Newsted's FU Money
Playing at a Friend's Party

Post by Newsted's FU Money »

A member of Tuff criticizing someone as "nothing special".

Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Newsted's FU Money wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:39 am A member of Tuff criticizing someone as "nothing special".

:lol:

Although as fans we are all entitled to our opinions, as misguided and dead ass wrong as they might be. Bert Miracles acoustic strumming was more Stevie’s style.
superglide88
Headlining Clubs

Post by superglide88 »

FreddyFender wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:36 am Steven Clark and Pete Willis both struggled with addiction.

This pretty much sums it up.
After Hysteria there was Adrenalize, the leftovers collection.
Retro Active still had some good stuff obviously.
And then… nothing. The songs I did hear were passable at best. Elliot thinking they’re in the same league as Bowie and the Stones didn’t help either.
I own 0 Lep albums after Retro Active.
Vandermint wrote:At best, KISS is Alice Cooper for dumb people
eddie lee roth wrote:myself and members of my family could use some help but I'm supposed to help some fucker in a banana suit first.
Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit :!:
JizzySynatra
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by JizzySynatra »

Surprised no one has brought up Pete's band Roadhouse from the early 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ukJ26 ... 26HardRock
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

JizzySynatra wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:26 am
Surprised no one has brought up Pete's band Roadhouse from the early 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ukJ26 ... 26HardRock

I don’t remember them. I checked out some of their other songs. They were awesome!!!!
Not any marquee names or major star power but definitely as good or better as all the rest of the B, C and D listers that we talk about here. Pete was a serious talent and such a young kid at the time. Had he gotten clean (of course Steve was allowed to shoot up and drink to death’s door) maybe they wouldn’t have sold what they sold on Hysteria but I would’ve been more excited about them.

Thank you for posting the link

….I remember reading a passing mention here and there in magazines but don’t remember seeing them on MTV or hearing them. As good as anything Def Leppard did on Adrenalize going forward. Their music is much better than any of that shitty swill like Pour Some Sugar On Me, Make Love Like A Man and Let’s Get Rocked.

“Time” could have easily been a radio and MTV hit at the time and in a movie soundtrack. It goes to show how much of an important pivotal figure Pete played in the band’s dynamic and sound.

As much as I’m a fan and give the band that albums like Slang and Euphoria are better albums than I originally gave them credit for, they are still pretty soulless without Steve and Pete there. I was excited when Vivian first joined the band. That excitement quickly turned to contempt when it became clear that Joe, Phil and Rick were going to cater to the ever prevailing and changing winds, and trends of that particular day.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

EzyRider wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:32 am
Newsted's FU Money wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:06 am If you wanna be shirtless 24/7 and write good riffs, you better be named Matt fucking Pike.
:D :D :D

I saw High On Fire open for someone (Anthrax?) at the old Hard Rock Downtown Disney Anaheim and he had an impressive shirtless/riffing presence
They were on the Metal Alliance tour in 2013 in the middle of 5 bands (Holy Grail, Municipal Waste, High on Fire, Exodus, Anthrax).

I thought they sucked, personally, but that may be because they had no business being on that tour, and Municipal Waste was just going to ruin anyone's day that had to go on right after them. They got booed and flipped off pretty hard, but they finished their set.

Had the same thing happen with Clutch. Clutch is a decent band, I know, but they were sandwiched between Valient Thorr and Motorhead. Clutch had their share of hardcore fans, some of which were annoying the living shit out of me, but the energy in the place dropped off a cliff when they went on, and it didn't come back until Motorhead came out.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:09 am Jeezis Christ... that's why I can't stand going back and listening to the old Extreme shit, those goddamn ADA-1 rack preamps... they're all gain, no tone.
I remember those ADA MP1's being all the rage back in the early 90's. Everybody had one. Skid Row, White Lion, Extreme, Metallica, Tesla, Queensryche, Torpedo Dong, Alex Skolnick, Jason Becker and many others. I've always heard they were noisy though. Didn't they have a real tube in them?

Are the JMP's basically Marshall's version of that? You'd think they could put together a cool digital preamp. I guess digital isn't really what Marshall is known for.

As for the topic. I like Def Leppard. They're British.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Yes, and yes. WTH was torpedo dong?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.