Why is Bret so against Poison?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

Why is Bret so against Poison?

Post by PhrozenInferno »

Yes, I understand he takes home all the dough when it comes to the BMB stuff. But surely Poison gets offered larger venues and more lucrative runs (especially since the Stadium Tour, where it seems he was happy to piss away or ignore all the genuine goodwill Posion built up as the opener)

Is he embarrassed? He plays all the Poison hits solo anyway

Can he not stand the other 3?

Is he too used to having everything revolve around him?

Being in a band like Poison (however uncool in reality) is way cooler than any of the tacky, weird ass shit he’s doing now.

He can’t be making THAT much more money touring as BMB
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Re: Why is Bret so against Poison?

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dbaj1wDlY

he's still selling out places as a solo act
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

All about the Benjamin’s
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

It's brand building. Even if he makes the same (or even a little less) headlining solo vs. performing with Poison, it's still his name on the marquee, making media appearances, etc. And from there, he can raise his price for sponsorships, business ventures, reality TV gigs, whatever. A booze brand is probably next.

As long as he doesn't embarrass himself with a total dud of a tour (and it looks like the crowds are passable for this run, even if it's heavy on comps), he raises his profile, which is what this is all about.

He's in the "Bret Michaels" business, and being in Poison is only one part of it.

skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

He headlined Canyon Club in far away Agora
Hills for 70$
Poison did Gibson Amp bunch of times for 4000-5000 every year.
Bret “headlined” Irvine HairNation or Cathouse show-those 8000 not all his “fans” 15 other hair bands helped
Poison gets Sofi gig
Poison headlines new Irvine Amp around 8500 with Cheap
Trick opening

Bret Michael shows I’ve seen I would give D+
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

LAglamrocker wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:40 pm He headlined Canyon Club in far away Agora
Hills for 70$
Poison did Gibson Amp bunch of times for 4000-5000 every year.
Bret “headlined” Irvine HairNation or Cathouse show-those 8000 not all his “fans” 15 other hair bands helped
Poison gets Sofi gig
Poison headlines new Irvine Amp around 8500 with Cheap
Trick opening

Bret Michael shows I’ve seen I would give D+
Wait, so they tore down Irvine Meadows to just build a new amphitheater? Why?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Why is Bret so against Poison? Cause he’s a twat.
Velvis
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Velvis »

I really feel a shed tour this summer with Cinderella opening would be far more successful money wise then this years Bret Fest.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

The guys in Poison don’t want to be the Bret Michaels band - they want to have say in how things will go, and that isn’t the way Bert wants to do things at this stage in his life.

So the result is they only do things when all four of them agree to do it…. which is rare.
Tommy
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Tommy »

This is easy. Pink Floyd wrote a song about it.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by LAglamrocker »

Wait is laglamrocker confused?
Nah the old Irvine Amp is gone and now condos
New Irvine venue is 10 miles away now called 5 Points but laglamrocker calls it new Irvine Amp for some dumb reason
Keep up
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
AlexVonHaig
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by AlexVonHaig »

Money wise it can't be that much of a difference. In fact if Bert had invested the same amount of time and money in Poison as he has in scab Poison, one could argue that Poison could be a stadium act, making far more than Bert solo could ever attain. And even if they didn't attain stadium level following, they would be much bigger than they are now.

That said, it only leaves one thing. Bert is an insufferable asshole, narcissist, who has serious security issues and is a douche bag.
PhrozenInferno
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by PhrozenInferno »

AlexVonHaig wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:28 am Money wise it can't be that much of a difference. In fact if Bert had invested the same amount of time and money in Poison as he has in scab Poison, one could argue that Poison could be a stadium act, making far more than Bert solo could ever attain. And even if they didn't attain stadium level following, they would be much bigger than they are now.
This is my take too. It seems like he’s missing the wood for the trees.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

SexxAtraxxion wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:15 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Dbaj1wDlY

he's still selling out places as a solo act
This. All the cash for him ahahhaahaha
The power of Sludge compels you.
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

Its so dumb, his solo band sounds like crap too compared to poison. I love poison and will see them whenever they tour if its a reasonable distance from me, but i wont go see BMB if u gave me free tickets
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
LSD69
Headlining Clubs

Post by LSD69 »

He's possibly fearful of Bobby swinging his bass at him again and finishing the job. :mrgreen:
BangThyDrum

Post by BangThyDrum »

I'd have to think that after the rave reviews from the Stadium Tour, Bret would be pulling in more money touring with Poison than with his own band.

As crazy as it sounds Poison live is a totally pro legit band that looks and sounds great. His solo band just looks like some shitty club act with an out of shape backing band. He has his face plastered all over the stage and it just comes off looking cheap and extremely tacky to me.

It blows my mind that he just seems to shun Poison every year. There must be more to it than we know...maybe Bobby and or C.C. just don't wanna tour?
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

BangThyDrum wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:25 am I'd have to think that after the rave reviews from the Stadium Tour, Bret would be pulling in more money touring with Poison than with his own band.

As crazy as it sounds Poison live is a totally pro legit band that looks and sounds great. His solo band just looks like some shitty club act with an out of shape backing band. He has his face plastered all over the stage and it just comes off looking cheap and extremely tacky to me.

It blows my mind that he just seems to shun Poison every year. There must be more to it than we know...maybe Bobby and or C.C. just don't wanna tour?

Agree besides the last part, im sure CC, bobby, and rikki wanna play
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

All of the above.

For sure, with Rock of Love and Apprentice, he reached a much wider audience than he would have with just Poison.

But musically...it's just odd that a guy would put out so many solo albums and just do a 50 minute set of all Poison songs and Sweet Home Alabama. He's touring non-stop so he's not lazy by any means but the setlist itself is lazy!

Low hanging fruit is the term that comes to mind. It's easy money. Touring with Poison is easy money too but at a bigger expense.

So I think that's the answer. He doesn't hate Poison. He just figures he can do it without them most of the time. That's the #1 thing I can think of.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

he comes across as likable enough.
But anyone who can perform with a straight face next to giant banners of themselves has mental problems.
It’s like a Ben Stiller movie
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

Party-gras is the joke of the year. Bret has to know he’s staring at thousands of free admission troglodytes every night.

It’s hard to believe LiveNation is selling THAT MUCH beer to keep this tour in the black. No way.

This show is so ridiculously Bret-centric that I swear Bret looks like Make-a-Wish foundation is fulfilling his dying dream to be a rock star. “Get out there little guy, you can do it.”
thunderdan

Post by thunderdan »

Huge Poison fan like most people on this thread. Poison had great shed tours 99-03 as we know, 80s rock fests. Every few years since then they have had big, shed tours that did well. I opened for Bret Michaels when he first went solo in 2003. His first album "songs of life" was good, much better than anything I've heard from him since. He was hungry and played 15 songs believe it or not, including several solo songs as he was hungry, I suppose. The 9 songs, no solo songs and no "fallen angel" including other hits is not a good show at this point or for years now.

He could have easily had poison headlines sheds this summer and every summer, especially after momentum of stadium tour as was mentioned instead of the "Bret fest" show tour w/12 dates they are doing, and the same 9 song set spread out. I never knew why he only does 9 songs, Poison's last tour w/cheap trick opening, CT played more songs. When Bret tours solo, he headlines all these shows and then Warrant or an opener plays like 12 songs while he does 9, nothing in the last 33 years. It's bizarre when a headliner plays several less songs. Wish he just focused on Poison, but that ship has sailed. I don't know why he insists on doing solos shows as I agree w/Poison he'd make almost as much, but probably a little bit more. In '03 it was before "rock of love", but I know what he got paid for the show I opened, and he made way more doing poison, but he gets paid much more now on name value. I guess wait until '25 supposedly. Poison isn't young, it's a shame to keep doing what he's been doing for hard to believe, 20 years now.
jens

Post by jens »

Not touring Poison into the ground is smart, keeps the demand up.
Spongie

Post by Spongie »

jens wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:28 am Not touring Poison into the ground is smart, keeps the demand up.
Absolutely agree.

But for my money a legit off-cycle offering shouldn’t be Bret taking out this welfare lineup doing exclusively Poison material.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Spongie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:40 am
jens wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:28 am Not touring Poison into the ground is smart, keeps the demand up.
Absolutely agree.

But for my money a legit off-cycle offering shouldn’t be Bret taking out this welfare lineup doing exclusively Poison material.
Poison could tour in Europe or at least play a few festival dates every couple of years. They're Journey / Van Halen level when it comes to ignoring Europe.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Love_Industry wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:23 am
Spongie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:40 am
Absolutely agree.

Poison could tour in Europe or at least play a few festival dates every couple of years. They're Journey / Van Halen level when it comes to ignoring Europe.
Consider yourselves lucky.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
p86

Post by p86 »

It's just total narcissism. He could have done both if he wanted to. They had the original lineup back for 24 years and released 1 album of new material. They could have added to their catalog and toured every few years and Bret still would have had time to his low-rent act on the side. They made good money obviously through the tours, but really squandered their second act where they could have been a recording entity. It's all due to Bret.
Wednesday 13 Fan

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Promoters don't care, because 90% of the audience doesn't care.

As long as Bret sings, the promoters and people don't care, and will think it's good enough. Anybody could play CC, Bobby, and Rikki's parts. And how many bands of their ilk still tour with the classic lineup?

The difference between Family Dollar Poison and Target Poison is negligible.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Exactly. And the idea that those people would want to hear new music is even more hilarious.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
MotleyKaos
Headlining Clubs

Post by MotleyKaos »

Tommy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:52 pm This is easy. Pink Floyd wrote a song about it.
"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict?"