Nita Strauss Says Today's Musicians Must Be Entrepreneurs to Make It: 'Motley Crue Weren't Worrying About TikTok or IG

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

gtrjay
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Nita Strauss Says Today's Musicians Must Be Entrepreneurs to Make It: 'Motley Crue Weren't Worrying About TikTok or IG

Post by gtrjay »

Nita Strauss Says Today's Musicians Must Be Entrepreneurs to Make It: 'Motley Crue Weren't Worrying About TikTok or Instagram, They Were Just Living Life'
"We need to be entrepreneurs as well as being musicians."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/nita-stra ... epreneurs/

Nita Strauss, the Los Angeles-based guitar shredder for the ALICE COOPER band, spoke to Primordial Radio about how she can no longer stay up late on tour because she has so many responsibilities in addition to putting on great live performances. She said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I'm such a homebody now. I'm on the road all the time. But I get off stage — let's say I get off stage at 10:30 [p.m.]; I help my guys load out on my solo tour. We're all in the trailer packing stuff, rolling cables, putting stuff in boxes, putting it in the trailer. That takes an hour or so. And then I'm usually asleep by midnight. 'Cause I wake up early. I've always got a ton of e-mails to do. I hit the gym [and] do so many things before the show the next day. We play six [or] seven shows a week on my solo tour, so I physically couldn't do it. I don't drink anymore, but even if I did, I couldn't stay up like that if I tried because I have so much to do.

"I think a big difference is musicians in 2021 and beyond, we need to be entrepreneurs as well as being musicians," she continued. "There's so many responsibilities — the social media, the content, the press and interviews, signature products. I have a Patreon page. I have a fitness challenge that I do. There's so many different facets to being a musician and entrepreneur these days, and you just can't do it [stay up late]. In the '80s, they were talking about MÖTLEY CRÜE partying and stuff. They weren't worrying about content for their TikTok or their Instagram; they were just living life."
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
TorienRoxxGang
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: Nita Strauss Says Today's Musicians Must Be Entrepreneurs to Make It: 'Motley Crue Weren't Worrying About TikTok or

Post by TorienRoxxGang »

Nita is such a annoying trollip.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: Nita Strauss Says Today's Musicians Must Be Entrepreneurs to Make It: 'Motley Crue Weren't Worrying About TikTok or

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Everything she says here is accurate.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:27 pm Everything she says here is accurate.
Well you always had to be an entrepreneur to make it as a musician. That’s kind of what the whole concept is. You’re trying to monetize your craft and your art. And yeah you didn’t have to worry about TikTok and IG and all that but you had to spend a lot of time putting up flyers, getting press kits together, calling promoters and booking agents and clubs and radio stations etc. Those kinds of things are a lot easier to do now with the internet and social media. It’s always been very tough to “make it”. Not really sure what her point is. Of course things have changed. Some things are easier and some things are harder, just like in any line of work.
TooOldToCare
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by TooOldToCare »

I didn't read the article, but I’d assume she is referring to the lack of revenue from the sale of music these days so one has to juggle these other things and continually look for ways to reinvent oneself. If you’ve got the name, open restaurants and bars, create a podcast, run a message board, have a merch line beyond what you sell at shows, run a popular YouTube or TikTok channel, have a makeup line, and the list goes on.

Motley just had to make music, do shows, do some promo, and kill their friends in an automobile.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

TorienRoxxGang wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:19 pm Nita is such a annoying trollop.
Amen. This is the best response. You get to make a living doing what you love. STFU and count your blessings.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

I've got mixed feelings on Nita. I thought she was cool when she took over for Orianthi, but it seems like the last few years she's really leaned hard into the image portion of being a star. The fitness stuff, getting her nose and teeth fixed, trying to branch into pop music...I dunno. I mean, clearly, she's putting in the work to be successful and she's talented as hell, but I dunno, just seemed like she was cooler before. But she's probably right, and that was all investing into her image for IG and Tiktok or whatever. And of course being a woman and creeping up on 40 in a male dominated genre is going to be working against her, so even if it was still the 80s, she'd probably be having to put in the extra work that dudes wouldn't have to do.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
BadDogWater
Headlining Clubs

Post by BadDogWater »

"Show your boobs and bend over so we can see your big ass...... " someone said
aznsquirt
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by aznsquirt »

fret123 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:10 pm
SterileEyes1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:27 pm Everything she says here is accurate.
Well you always had to be an entrepreneur to make it as a musician. That’s kind of what the whole concept is. You’re trying to monetize your craft and your art. And yeah you didn’t have to worry about TikTok and IG and all that but you had to spend a lot of time putting up flyers, getting press kits together, calling promoters and booking agents and clubs and radio stations etc. Those kinds of things are a lot easier to do now with the internet and social media. It’s always been very tough to “make it”. Not really sure what her point is. Of course things have changed. Some things are easier and some things are harder, just like in any line of work.
Yeah, is posting on IG more inherently entrepreneurial than stapling flyers up and down the strip?

The big difference (that should be her point, IMO) is that there was a time that you "got a record deal" and then you could sort of let them handle EVERYTHING. That's not nearly as true today.
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

BadDogWater wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:21 am "Show your boobs and bend over so we can see your big ass...... " someone said
This