40 years ago today Metallica debuted with KILL 'EM ALL...Where does this one rank for you?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

40 years ago today Metallica debuted with KILL 'EM ALL...Where does this one rank for you?

Post by dmbrocker »

Pretty raw, but it's a great starting place for their recording career. I'd say "Whiplash" is my favorite song off of this one. Anyone else?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: 40 years ago today Metallica debuted with KILL 'EM ALL...Where does this one rank for you?

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

In their honor... I give you TUFF live in 1995 at Toy Tiger Louisville Kentucky!

Live board tape, no dubs, no extra mixing, straight and raw... mastered and released in 1996 on "Decade of Disrespect"

TUFF "Seek & Destroy" > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-63I3AuKdeg

$tEvil
jens
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Re: 40 years ago today Metallica debuted with KILL 'EM ALL...Where does this one rank for you?

Post by jens »

Brilliant, love that wild enthusiasm.
Four Horsemen followed up by Motorbreath is pretty much the best thing ever.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

Back when everyone agreed Kirk Hammett was awesome!

Jump in the Fire still kicks ass today... Great debut...

Where does it rank for me? Fifth, after the following 4 albums (Ride/MoP/AJFA/Black)
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

As a fan of most ‘NuTallica’ overall it’s the album I listen to the least other than St. Anger, Lulu, and 72S. To this day I’ve only heard Jump In The Fire, Phantom Lord, and Metal Militia a handful of times.

That said I of course have a ton of respect for it and where it ultimately brought metal. It’s also not lost on me that these songs were written when they were 17/18 years old, and to state the obvious there are some real classics on there.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Psychobolia.com wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:18 am
Where does it rank for me? Fifth, after the following 4 albums (Ride/MoP/AJFA/Black)
Something like this. Used to think Load was better too but KEA has grown on me after I got the remasters.

(There's no remaster of Load, or is it?)
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

Ahem. I posted this first, but obviously too early as most North Americans were still asleep.
https://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/vi ... a194e32acc

Anyway, like many others I got into Metallica in summer '88 with AJFA. Then I got Ride and Puppets. I had a Saturday job in a shop and a metal-loving colleague was going to the US so I asked if he could get me the KEA LP with Blitzkrieg and Am I Evil?, as AFAIK that version wasn't released.in the UK back then. And he did.

I'd rank it 3rd after Ride and Puppets. Sure, AJFA and Black were more sophisticated and I'm burned out on Seek And Destroy after hearing too many live bootlegs where it seemed to go for hours, but the raw energy is undeniable and side 1 is damn-near perfect. I've listened to it more times than everything after Puppets put together, excluding Black.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Yeah it is pretty good. A bit overrated as I see it win best metal album of 1983 polls and its nowhere close to that. Some really good raw stuff on it. I probably have it ranked second behind Ride the Lightning. I'm not bored of it compared to pretty much everything post Ride the Lightning. (Anesthesia) – Pulling Teeth is awful though. The worst thing they have done. Although I never bothered listening to Lulu so perhaps there is something worse on that album.
Last edited by pieceofme on Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Playboyliquor59
Recording Debut Album

Post by Playboyliquor59 »

Trunk with another me me me post about it
fret123
Headlining Clubs

Post by fret123 »

I think it’s their best album. They’ve been going downhill ever since. Slowly for the next 3 albums then rapidly starting with the Black album. Kill ‘em All rips start to finish.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

I like the rawness of it. I listen to it more often than Justice these days.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
skinni

Post by skinni »

it's their best release
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

pieceofme wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:17 pm Yeah it is pretty good. A bit overrated as I see it win best metal album of 1983 polls and its nowhere close to that. Some really good raw stuff on it. I probably have ranked it second behind Ride the Lightning. I'm not bored of it compared to pretty much everything post Ride the Lightning. (Anesthesia) – Pulling Teeth is awful though. The worst thing they have done. Although I never bothered listening to Lulu so perhaps there is something worse on that album.
I am the table.

https://youtu.be/j7_mMYsPVqs
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
inextrem
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by inextrem »

It ranks as their third best album. Only surpassed by Justice & Master
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

dmbrocker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:26 am Pretty raw, but it's a great starting place for their recording career. I'd say "Whiplash" is my favorite song off of this one. Anyone else?

you're a little late to the party with this.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
exitflagger
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by exitflagger »

That one and MoP are the only ones I can tolerate. I'll never understand the knee-jerk worship they get.
ImageImage
Drunk Mazeraturd wrote: ...but hes going to run and hes going to win.
DemonFilth2001

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

exitflagger wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:53 am That one and MoP are the only ones I can tolerate. I'll never understand the knee-jerk worship they get.
You forgot Ride the Lightning and Justice!
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:37 am
exitflagger wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:53 am That one and MoP are the only ones I can tolerate. I'll never understand the knee-jerk worship they get.
You forgot Ride the Lightning and Justice!
I can understand not liking Justice but if you don't like Ride you don't like 80s Metallica. I used to be a MoP guy but now I prefer Ride.
Zabooka

Post by Zabooka »

This was well done!

-----

If ZZ Top wrote Kill 'Em All (FULL ALBUM)
https://youtu.be/XcuiOh50alY

FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

My favorite album of theirs…. by miles.

It’s serious, but it’s also fun. It was rarely that after Kill Em All for me.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

I’m not a fan. The first Metallica record I heard was Ride The Lightning and I fucking loved that. Listening to Kill ‘Em All after was a letdown and it sounded like a low budget demo recording in comparison.

Master Of Puppets is the best IMO.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Lars drops the beat horribly at the beginning of ‘whiplash’

Their best album is the one with ‘for whom the bell tolls’
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

"Seek and Destroy" is the ultimate anthem.

They could've released a remake of that song with Bob Rock production on a "Metallica - Greatest Hits" album in the late '90s and it would've had a residency on rock radio ever since.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Whatever Happened To…
Headlining Clubs

Post by Whatever Happened To… »

Everything from Puppets onwards bored me to death but this one was good. I really liked the original Garage Days $5.98 E.P as well. As an album band Metallica are just too one dimensional.