Warrant - Song & Dance Man

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Warrant - Song & Dance Man

Post by DangerZone »

I haven’t listened to Warrant in many years but “song & dance man” was one of my favorites back in the day.

It’s got to be in their top 5, maybe top 3?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: Warrant - Song & Dance Man

Post by Mister Freeze »

Cherry Pie is one of the better top-to-bottom albums of the era. Even most of the non-singles were pretty good. Straight-ahead rock, catchy songs. Warrant at their peak.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
MisterSinister
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by MisterSinister »

I love warrant but disagree with every statement made in this thread.
dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

Nah, it’s good, but not top five Warrant, IMO. That said, the whole album of Cherry Pie rules.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
Chip Z'Hoy
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

DangerZone wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:32 am I haven’t listened to Warrant in many years but “song & dance man” was one of my favorites back in the day.

It’s got to be in their top 5, maybe top 3?
Always considered it filler, though Jane Lane obviously didn't agree (see: tattoo).

I think my top 3 are not only on Cherry Pie, they're right in a row: "Uncle Tom's Cabin," "I Saw Red," "Bed of Roses."

Definitely their peak. Were it not for the title track (which is fine, it is what it is), I think the album would get a lot more praise. It also wouldn't have sold half as much.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

I have to agree with Chip and Sinister on this. Grade A, prime filler
SexxAtraxxion
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by SexxAtraxxion »

1. Andy Warhol Was Right
2. The Bitter Pill (acoustic version)
3. Let it Rain
My music library at last.fm:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonathanHalen
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Not my favorite song but it's a damn good lyric. Good album track.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:51 pm I have to agree with Chip and Sinister on this. Grade A, prime filler
well, now I know I’m right
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

DangerZone wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:05 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:51 pm I have to agree with Chip and Sinister on this. Grade A, prime filler
well, now I know I’m right

About what? That one of your favorite Warrant songs sucks ball bags.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

dmbrocker wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:56 pm Nah, it’s good, but not top five Warrant, IMO. That said, the whole album of Cherry Pie rules.

this.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
TBONESBURDEN
Recording Your Demo

Post by TBONESBURDEN »

I wouldn't exactly call Song and Dance Man filler. I would save that for Sure Feels Good and Love In Stereo. Mr. Rainmaker, Song and Dance Man and Bed of Roses are actually my favorites off of Cherry Pie
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Not even top 5 on Cherry Pie. And it's their 3rd best album!
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

pieceofme wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:52 pm Not even top 5 on Cherry Pie. And it's their 3rd best album!
what’s your favorite band?
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

pieceofme wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:52 pm Not even top 5 on Cherry Pie. And it's their 3rd best album!
This
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Finna lose my shit if y'all start talking about Ultraphobic.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
tommy trixter
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by tommy trixter »

Love This Tune And Remember They Played It With Jaime St. James.It Still Sounded Cool.Even With Him.
toofastone
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by toofastone »

There's a story to this song. It involves the band working with Prince before they signed their deal. They did their original demo with Prince.

Story goes: The band does the demo with Prince at Paisley Park. Band does a club show broadcast in Japan. It can be found on YouTube. This is prior to the band recording DRFSR. Prince watches the broadcast and is disgusted with Jani's stage language. If you didn't know, Prince did not like found language. He dumps Warrant. Gives them the demo (which was rare in that era). Tells the band Jani is no "Song and Dance Man". Prince was looking for the next Elvis Presley.
Lets Rock
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

toofastone wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:51 am There's a story to this song. It involves the band working with Prince before they signed their deal. They did their original demo with Prince.

Story goes: The band does the demo with Prince at Paisley Park. Band does a club show broadcast in Japan. It can be found on YouTube. This is prior to the band recording DRFSR. Prince watches the broadcast and is disgusted with Jani's stage language. If you didn't know, Prince did not like found language. He dumps Warrant. Gives them the demo (which was rare in that era). Tells the band Jani is no "Song and Dance Man". Prince was looking for the next Elvis Presley.
I did not know this! Toofas Tone dropping some excellent knowledge.
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:16 pm
toofastone wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:51 am There's a story to this song. It involves the band working with Prince before they signed their deal. They did their original demo with Prince.

Have those Warrant Paisley Park demos ever been released?

And can you post a link to that Japan show? The only one I see is from '91.

Honestly, it probably would not have worked out as good for Warrant. Although something tells me a Prince recorded version of Cherry Pie would've been a huge hit!
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
toofastone
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by toofastone »

The demos were prior to Dirty Rotten. I believe Game of War and Down Boys demos were played on LA radio KNAC or KROCK. They are out there.

https://youtu.be/WwaGLgdn1D8
Lets Rock
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:51 am
Chip Z'Hoy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:16 pm

Have those Warrant Paisley Park demos ever been released?

And can you post a link to that Japan show? The only one I see is from '91.

Honestly, it probably would not have worked out as good for Warrant. Although something tells me a Prince recorded version of Cherry Pie would've been a huge hit!
Jani said Prince told them he didn't sign them because he was looking for the next Elvis, and Jani couldn't dance.

Prince was in debt to Warner Bros at the time - they were making him let other artists record at Paisley Park to recoup some of the losses of building him the studio and his material under-performing.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

toofastone wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:09 pm The demos were prior to Dirty Rotten. I believe Game of War and Down Boys demos were played on LA radio KNAC or KROCK. They are out there.

https://youtu.be/WwaGLgdn1D8
warrant were jamming here.
Interesting harmony on ‘gasoline on a fire’ during ‘cold sweat’ 🤨
So what happened to Jani? The industry sea change just affected him harder and he turned to the bottle?
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

"Why do we scream at each other?

This is what it sounds like

When Cherry Pie."
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.