Does the average heavy metal fan have low IQ?

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

SchenkerFan
Headlining Clubs

Does the average heavy metal fan have low IQ?

Post by SchenkerFan »

I've met quite a few over the years, and a lot of them struck me as pretty normal. But I noticed, especially among purist types, that there are some massive dumbasses there.

There was this dude in my class in high school that was into Slayer and Lamb of God. Thought all other music genres were crap. He was also pretty racist. Thank god he was only in my class for one year. Failed a few subjects and didn't pass. Definitely one of the dumber guys I met.
LAglamrocker
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Re: Does the average heavy metal fan have low IQ?

Post by LAglamrocker »

Very low
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Recording Debut Album

Post by Ol' Dirty Bastard »

Based on the Sludge sample, our average is retarded.
LIVE N' UNCUT

LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

You think average metal head reads Sludge?
Those are lowest heavy metal IQ on planet earth

Everyone is a compile imbecile scumbag loser
Last edited by LAglamrocker on Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
RaceFan3
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by RaceFan3 »

Instantly thought of this guy when I saw this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXFuv7B-4lY&t=23s
*I kinda want a new screenname. Seriously. I barely watch racing anymore. :x
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

SchenkerFan wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:15 am
There was this dude in my class in high school that was into Slayer and Lamb of God.
Those bands and even more so Pantera attracted all the dumbasses who used to hate girly looking hair bands and called metal fans faggots and posers.

Skinheads were the lowest IQ subculture by far so when they got into metal the average IQ nosedived.
Charles Bukaki
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Charles Bukaki »

I know a couple that are very emotionally stunted both in their 50s. They do okay as adults (hold down jobs, pay their bills, aren't criminals) but when it comes to music they're not only stuck in the past, they're mentally stuck in their 20's. Same habits, same opinions, same closed minds. No music post 1988 is worth a damn, every other genre sucks. One of them swears he's listened to Reign In Blood at once every single day since it same out. They're both divorced at least once, and not only hate new music but really get off on tearing it down yet can't handle it when someone criticizes the music they love (I admit I do it sometimes just to get a rise out of them.) They're not bad guys, and loyal friends but I can only take them in small doses. I don't ever need to hear bout how Metal Church was underrated, or that Testament should have been in the Big 4, or any of the other circular conversations they've been having for over three decades.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Are you sure this forums for you?
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:51 am I know a couple that are very emotionally stunted both in their 50s. They do okay as adults (hold down jobs, pay their bills, aren't criminals) but when it comes to music they're not only stuck in the past, they're mentally stuck in their 20's. Same habits, same opinions, same closed minds. No music post 1988 is worth a damn, every other genre sucks. One of them swears he's listened to Reign In Blood at once every single day since it same out. They're both divorced at least once, and not only hate new music but really get off on tearing it down yet can't handle it when someone criticizes the music they love (I admit I do it sometimes just to get a rise out of them.) They're not bad guys, and loyal friends but I can only take them in small doses. I don't ever need to hear bout how Metal Church was underrated, or that Testament should have been in the Big 4, or any of the other circular conversations they've been having for over three decades.
good thing you'll never endure that posting here.
ImageImage
Charles Bukaki

Post by Charles Bukaki »

hahah, in response to the two posts above mine, small doses is the keyword here. As I was typing it out I realized I was probably describing a good number of Sludgers. Hearing it over and over in person is a whole different thing. I have another friend who basically does the same thing with Star Wars and hey, if that's your thing, have at it I guess. It's just not something I could ever fathom doing and seems to add certain layer of misery to these guys' lives.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

I suppose that it's a lot worse to experience IRL than on an online message board.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

Has there been a study? What are the requirements to be a true heavy metal fan?
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

Depends on the band. Slayer and Pantera fans dumb as dirt...
GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Aerosmith87
Opening Act in Arenas

Post by Aerosmith87 »

As a whole, I'd say yeah pretty low. The funny part is some of the smartest people I know (actually smart, not relatively smart) are also metal heads.
p86

Post by p86 »

I'm inclined to say yes. At the same time, the average IQ of anyone in public seems pretty low. I think DLR said something once about the larger a group of people, the lower the IQ. Have you seen the audience at any mass gathering....political rallies, sports events, voters? They're mostly idiots.

The heavy metal fan is probably lower than average...but not by much. I work in a public school with teachers that have Master's degrees and everyday I think to myself that most of my colleagues are idiots.
Danzig in the Dark

Post by Danzig in the Dark »

BDG135 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:06 pm Has there been a study? What are the requirements to be a true heavy metal fan?
I'm not sure but I think the penalty for failure involves leaving the hall.
ImageImage
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

p86 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:57 pm
The heavy metal fan is probably lower than average...but not by much. I work in a public school with teachers that have Master's degrees and everyday I think to myself that most of my colleagues are idiots.
The problem is not that they are idiots, the problem is that you're smart. They're probably on the Edge of or just outside your communication range. It's said that the conmunication range extends 30 IQ pionts from yours. You can get a Master's and become a teacher with 100-110 IQ and even do a decent job. But if your IQ is 135-140, which isn't THAT unusual, the M.Sc. with IQ 100 will be a dumbass to you.

I am convinced my former manager had a below average IQ. My performance review looked like it was written by a 5th grader and she admitted she didn't understand what I was doing in my project but it must be good as it saved money and made stakeholders happy. She has a Master of Law and leads an international team of 40 or so at a major bank. Not top rated but good enough not to be marked a low performer. There are plenty of people like that.
cowpins
Platinum Artist

Post by cowpins »

Huh?
"bus problems come on man so boring we have our bus its awesome and we r watching judge judy on it right now tour is going great 14 more shows to go see you out there rockin peeps not you garbageman you stay home" - HueyRamone, 7/3/12
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

Love_Industry wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:33 am
p86 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:57 pm
The problem is not that they are idiots, the problem is that you're smart. They're probably on the Edge of or just outside your communication range. It's said that the conmunication range extends 30 IQ pionts from yours. You can get a Master's and become a teacher with 100-110 IQ and even do a decent job. But if your IQ is 135-140, which isn't THAT unusual, the M.Sc. with IQ 100 will be a dumbass to you.

I am convinced my former manager had a below average IQ. My performance review looked like it was written by a 5th grader and she admitted she didn't understand what I was doing in my project but it must be good as it saved money and made stakeholders happy. She has a Master of Law and leads an international team of 40 or so at a major bank. Not top rated but good enough not to be marked a low performer. There are plenty of people like that.
Yeah, I don't think it is just metal fans, but the population in general.
I mean, I work in a company where basically everyone is university educated and am still amazed at their incapacity of forming their own thoughts and understanding of concepts.
Then again, maybe it is me who is the idiot....
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

If you watch The Metal Years most participants come off very dumb. Embarrassingly so. I think they were purposely picked for that reason. The metal heads I knew didn't act like that although school was not a priority and seen more as a nuisance.
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Post by BDG135 »

It also depends on the genre. People into serious progressive Metal styles are usually more geeky, and disciplined, especially if they are musicians themselves wanting to play what they're hearing. As far as mainstream popular Metal, keep in mind it was marketed to teenage males.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
sirthx2
Doing 10 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by sirthx2 »

If you answer 'no' to this question, you have a very low IQ.
"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

"If you don't like The Darkness, you suck at music listening." - Michelish circa 2021
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

Charles Bukaki wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:14 pm hahah, in response to the two posts above mine, small doses is the keyword here. As I was typing it out I realized I was probably describing a good number of Sludgers. Hearing it over and over in person is a whole different thing. I have another friend who basically does the same thing with Star Wars and hey, if that's your thing, have at it I guess. It's just not something I could ever fathom doing and seems to add certain layer of misery to these guys' lives.
As far as 80's rock goes... truthfully, I don't talk about it all that much outside of this board. That's what we are here for really. I'm perfectly capable of having conversations that don't involve Roxy Blue or Sweet F.A. I just prefer not to! :)
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Chip Z'Hoy

Post by Chip Z'Hoy »

Go look at Encyclopaedia Metallum. There are dudes over there writing scholarly essays on Darkthrone.

Sludge has had its handful of mouth breathers over the years but I think for the most part, people here are usually pretty sharp.

At this point, Judas Priest fans aren't Zebraman from Heavy Metal Parking Lot. It's classic rock now. Nobody's tripping Jack Daniel's--we go to the show and hope to be home by 11 so we can go to Home Depot in the morning.
LAglamrocker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:56 pmClub was packed with Metal Edge fans 18-30..no stupid Rush Roll The Bones dipsh*ts
Mikky_Five
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Mikky_Five »

No.

The average human, perhaps.

I do recall being told 'that music' (namely Judas Priest) will rot my brain.

My assessment after 37 years of studying listening habits of youth progressing to adulthood and various career choices:

190870 listens of Screaming for Vengeance = < harm than 4 listens of taylordrakebeyoncemike et al.
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Remember when Lars Ulrich was kinda pissed that Beavis and Butthead were sporting Metallica t-shirts? His logic being that those idiots might actually be the band's fanbase???

That about sums it up right there.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image