When you first heard Mama's Fool from Tesla in 1994

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BDG135
Platinum Artist

When you first heard Mama's Fool from Tesla in 1994

Post by BDG135 »

What did you think?
Did you want to buy Bust A Nut?
Did you hear about it when it first came out?
https://youtu.be/x_2h4RAZG9A
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Re: When you first heard Mama's Fool from Tesla in 1994

Post by Mister Freeze »

I thought it was just okay, but it grew on me. Still weak compared to previous Tesla singles.

Overall, it's a strong album. Stuff like "Solution" and "Action Talks" grabbed me immediately.

It's easy to forget, but back then, all the '80s hard rock bands were running away from their classic sound. Tesla wasn't afraid to keep it going and rock out like they always did, which, ironically, made them a welcome change-of-pace for the time.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Busch1724
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Busch1724 »

Loved it first time I heard it. Awesome intro and great riff. Lyrics are a little corny, but love the gang chorus.
TBONESBURDEN
Recording Your Demo

Post by TBONESBURDEN »

Great song, great album. A drop off from Psychotic Supper in my opinion but still killer.
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

TBONESBURDEN wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:28 am Great song, great album. A drop off from Psychotic Supper in my opinion but still killer.

this.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:59 am
It's easy to forget, but back then, all the '80s hard rock bands were running away from their classic sound. Tesla wasn't afraid to keep it going and rock out like they always did, which, ironically, made them a welcome change-of-pace for the time.
I wasnt impressed by Bust a Nut, but this is 100% correct. All bands moved in the same direction at the same time, some just took it a little further. Desperate trend chasing that didn't pay off. The bands staying closer to their classic sound had a smaller drop in sales, bands that went full grunge/alternative/whatever bombed. Stupid labels allowed that too, not realizing that an alternative Warrant or even Def Leppard had a chance like a snowball in hell.. or a full on Sunset Strip hair metal album from Pearl Jam. (Almost wrote Nirvana but didn't Kurt or Krist say that Nevermind "sounded like a Mötley Crue album"??)
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Love_Industry wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:31 am Almost wrote Nirvana but didn't Kurt or Krist say that Nevermind "sounded like a Mötley Crue album"??

Well, if you think about it, Nevermind was recorded during the "big production" era, even if its success helped kill it. So I'm not surprised by the quote. I think they're just referring to the big sound that wasn't cool among their Sub Pop buddies back home. Explains why Kurt wanted to do a 180 on the production when recording In Utero.

I should have written my initial post a little better. Of course, we all remember most of the '80s bands running from their sound. What's forgotten is how much Bust a Nut stood out at the time when today, it's just another release in the Tesla catalog. The context of the times made an already good album even better.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Einstein Lawless
Having Slaughter Open for You

Post by Einstein Lawless »

I liked it. Technically, I never bought the album but I did win a copy off the radio.
Physician, kill Thyself- Danzig in the Dark

Stryper have a better shot at getting into Hell than the HOF.- The Stench.

You people are so burnt out on your own culture that you can't even talk about it intelligibly anymore.- Funz