Some good DLR Sludge

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

BernieTaupson
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Some good DLR Sludge

Post by BernieTaupson »

Someone said it deserved its own thread :

Here’s some good sludge from another board.

I can address this subject for you. I used to work for Angelus Entertainment at the time that Pete parted ways with Dave. Pete brought his staff into his office and was very sincere in explaining his decision to resign from managing DLR. It had nothing at all to do with Pete's like or dislike of DLR's "A Little Ain't Enough" as is suggested in one of the posts.
Pete explained to us that he did not feel he could stand by DLR's increasingly erratic behavior and dubious decisions. Dave had demanded the firing of both Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan and Pete was in compete disagreement. Dave also had some run ins with some of his crew (throwing mic stands at them) that Pete felt was completely inappropriate and very disrespectful to the people who were working hard on DLR's behalf.
We understood because by 1989, DLR was pretty rude to most of us who worked for Angelus Entertainment.
There was one night where Pete was rehearsing The Black Crowes at SIR in Hollywood for their American Recordings showcase. DLR showed up, uninvited and unannounced, and in a rage was yelling at the band that he was their manager too. When Pete arrived, he had to remove Dave from their rehearsal room. It was a really unpleasant scene that we would later hear The Crowes talk about when they came to the office. That was followed by a day when Pete was on the set with The Black Crowes directing their first video and Dave showed up again, uninvited, and started saying he was the video director too. Pete had to talk him down and get him off the set. I was there to witness that insanity, it wasn't pretty and Dave really embarrassed himself.
A week later, Pete resigned as Dave's manager.
DLR didn't mention him in his book because 1) he took all the credit for so many of the ideas Pete had and video's Pete directed and 2) he was upset with Pete for resigning.
It was inaccurate for someone to suggest that Dave felt that Pete was a fair weather friend.
Dave knew exactly how creative and loyal Pete was to his artist's and he was upset when Pete called him out on his behavior and moved in another direction.
We all saw what Pete went through with Dave and we were surprised that he tried to keep things moving forward for as long as he did considering how crazy Dave was getting.
DLR just acted like a little child when he omitted Pete from his book but everyone who played or worked with DLR, everyone at the record label, publicity company and everyone who did any work for DLR knew of Pete's involvement and contributions.
Z28
Headlining Clubs

Re: Some good DLR Sludge

Post by Z28 »

I have always wondered what happened to him and Eddie Anderson, he was there from the VH days too.
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:42 am Someone said it deserved its own thread :

I can address this subject for you. I used to work for Angelus Entertainment at the time that Pete parted ways with Dave. Pete brought his staff into his office and was very sincere in explaining his decision to resign from managing DLR. It had nothing at all to do with Pete's like or dislike of DLR's "A Little Ain't Enough" as is suggested in one of the posts.
Pete explained to us that he did not feel he could stand by DLR's increasingly erratic behavior and dubious decisions. Dave had demanded the firing of both Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan and Pete was in compete disagreement. Dave also had some run ins with some of his crew (throwing mic stands at them) that Pete felt was completely inappropriate and very disrespectful to the people who were working hard on DLR's behalf.
We understood because by 1989, DLR was pretty rude to most of us who worked for Angelus Entertainment.
There was one night where Pete was rehearsing The Black Crowes at SIR in Hollywood for their American Recordings showcase. DLR showed up, uninvited and unannounced, and in a rage was yelling at the band that he was their manager too. When Pete arrived, he had to remove Dave from their rehearsal room. It was a really unpleasant scene that we would later hear The Crowes talk about when they came to the office. That was followed by a day when Pete was on the set with The Black Crowes directing their first video and Dave showed up again, uninvited, and started saying he was the video director too. Pete had to talk him down and get him off the set. I was there to witness that insanity, it wasn't pretty and Dave really embarrassed himself.
DLR didn't mention him in his book because 1) he took all the credit for so many of the ideas Pete had and video's Pete directed and 2) he was upset with Pete for resigning.
It was inaccurate for someone to suggest that Dave felt that Pete was a fair weather friend.
Dave knew exactly how creative and loyal Pete was to his artist's and he was upset when Pete called him out on his behavior and moved in another direction.
We all saw what Pete went through with Dave and we were surprised that he tried to keep things moving forward for as long as he did considering how crazy Dave was getting.
DLR just acted like a little child when he omitted Pete from his book but everyone who played or worked with DLR, everyone at the record label, publicity company and everyone who did any work for DLR knew of Pete's involvement and contributions.
That's...interesting. I've never heard that Sheehan and Billy were "fired", just that they left to go do other stuff. (Could be common knowledge and I'm ignorant, I've just never heard it mentioned)

And seems like both have always been there for a EEAS reunion, so doesn't seem like any bad blood?
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
Love_Industry
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Love_Industry »

Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:50 am I've never heard that Sheehan and Billy were "fired", just that they left to go do other stuff. (Could be common knowledge and I'm ignorant, I've just never heard it mentioned)

And seems like both have always been there for a EEAS reunion, so doesn't seem like any bad blood?
Think you're right, I was at a clinic with Sheehan around 2019 and he said the same, he wasn't fired but left because he didn't like the direction Dave wanted to go in - more dance oriented - and didn't believe in the Skyscraper album.
Vai said he wanted to have a solo career as he felt limited after two albums and tours with Roth, and also the Whitesnake offer must have come up shortly after the Skyscraper tour ended in mid December 1988 as the SOTT album was already out the following year.

And you're right, no bad blood. Didn't the entire EEAS band meet every year for dinner, or was it the other three and Roth only showed up sometimes, not telling in advance?
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Post by Brainy Lane »

Z28 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:26 am I have always wondered what happened to him and Eddie Anderson, he was there from the VH days too.
IIRC Dave accused Amderson of stealing/theft of some kind in his Crazy from the Heat book.
Ozzy Stradlin

Post by Ozzy Stradlin »

Those stories about Roth showing up while the Black Crowes were doing business are weird & wild stuff.
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

BernieTaupson wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:42 am Someone said it deserved its own thread :

You mean from this thread back in 2015.
https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thread ... alling-out
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

I don’t remember reading anything like that from The Black Crowes drummer book.
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

Love_Industry wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:28 am
Anthrax442 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:50 am
And you're right, no bad blood. Didn't the entire EEAS band meet every year for dinner, or was it the other three and Roth only showed up sometimes, not telling in advance?
The more I read about the EEAS band and how great it was to do that particular album and tour and how they have 'anniversary dinners', makes me think that was probably one of the best times to be in that particular band, during that particular culture period, and having that specific success. Not sure there are too many periods of time with artists and bands where all things click and everyone has great chemistry and brotherhood.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Sheehan and Vai, like John 5, absolutely venerate Dave for giving them their careers as rock stars.

But that doesn’t mean they parted on good terms. Sheehan left the band because he didn’t want to play eighth-notes all night. Vai and Roth clashed creatively during Skyscraper, and ultimately the album was only successful due to a song written by the keyboard player… a song that Vai fought to not include.

Quitting vs being fired can be a grey area depending on who is asked. Also management could interpret someone leaving and the artist making no effort to keep them as “letting them go”.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Very impressive to be in a room with The Black Crowes and you’re the dramatic one :D
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

I was never privy to much in that camp, as VH was almost a decade removed from the scene before I (we) even arrived...

But... in reading what I have read, seeing, hearing and the rest... Roth got out of hand... super arrogant, thought he could do no wrong and at some point Ed, Alex & that whole camp tired of him.

It also appears that his own solo camp, and management also tired of him, and the revolving door continued.

Sound familiar...?

This is Bach and Skid Row.

While Roth is 10x as talented as Bach (outside their voices) and the bands are more than a decade separated the groups, Bach is Roth.

The band, the management, and most in both of the camps all grew tired of his ways, attitude, ball-hog self-centered processing, etc... and they canceled him.

Roth also went onto have big success as a solo artist while Bach did not. Unless you consider appearing on Gilmour Girls and his garbage solo releases success.

Of course the 90's were different than the 80's, but there are some striking similarities.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

A little Dave tidbit here...

I can't divulge my source here as it would not be cool, but everyone reading this is likely aware of this "person" who was VERY entrenched in the VH camp for the duration of that first decade.

I asked them, "Is Dave EVER normal.. is there ANY sense of a real person, who is NOT doing shtick 24/7, who is the REAL David Lee Roth?"

The person said in short... that they were very close with Dave, would hang, go to dinner, smoke pot, talk about cars, girls, and the business.

They told me about going to sushi off Melrose on a week-night and how Dave would wear a baseball hat, over-sized worn out jeans, and baggy whacky shirts and sun-glasses, to be under the radar in public.

They also said, Dave was very mellow at times, super laid back, and when there wasn't a crowd, or a camera, he could be the nicest normal guy.

The way they described him ordering his food, or sitting on the couch watching a movie smoking a joint was likely the guy we ALL wanted to meet at some point.

Of course the "Hey, it's Daaaaaaaaaaaaaveeee Tv!" thing was fun, and interesting when I was 19, but as each year passed, I became tired of his one-liners even as a young 20-something.... and I think a percentage of his fans did too.

I referenced this previously, that Roth on Rogan was 1 of the BEST interviews I ever heard from him... he seemed normal for much of it. And Rogan wasn't asking about girls, or rock guitars, or touring... he was talking about living in Japan, tattoos, hunting, dogs and stuff that Roth was very passionate about.... also it seemed like Rogan being a super wealthy and successful guy in his own right, and it's safe to say in modern times, Rogan is bigger... Roth might have realized it wasn't a rock n' roll fanboy and his shtick was not going to work.

They also hinted at the fact, that they today in the 2000's, are not close with Dave anymore, and their words were: "He changed..."

They also mentioned they knew him and the VH brothers when they were broke, living in Pasadena, driving used cars and before the first big tours... so this person goes back to their history in the mid - late 1970's.

As for the "change..." they also acknowledged, money and fame changes people, but this person has that too... so they're saying Dave changed even towards his other rich friends, band members, managers and the rest.

They did reference no wife, no kids, and seemed to dance around the subject as to whether Roth was gay or not. It seems to lean towards him being a closet fruit.

Lastly... I would imagine growing up a normal kid, then becoming one of the most famous rock singers in the world, and having tens of millions of dollars, and everything go your way non-stop for 8-10-15 years... it puts you in a place where you truly believe you're invincible... then you wake up one day with no hair, looking like someone's Grandpa and the endless pussy train stops, it's a bit of a kick in the ass.

$tEvil
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

A little Dave tidbit here...

I can't divulge my source here as it would not be cool, but everyone reading this is likely aware of this "person" who was VERY entrenched in the VH camp for the duration of that first decade.

I asked them, "Is Dave EVER normal.. is there ANY sense of a real person, who is NOT doing shtick 24/7... who is the REAL David Lee Roth?"

The person said in short... that they were very close with Dave, would hang, go to dinner, smoke pot, talk about cars, girls, and the business.

They told me about going to sushi on a week-night and how Dave would wear a baseball hat, over-sized worn out jeans, and baggy whacky shirts and sun-glasses, to be under the radar in public.

They also said, Dave was very mellow at times, super laid back, and when there wasn't a crowd, or a camera, he could be the nicest normal guy.

The way they described him ordering his food, or sitting on the couch watching a movie smoking a joint was likely the guy we ALL wanted to meet at some point.

Of course the "Hey, it's Daaaaaaaaaaaaaveeee Tv!" thing was fun, and interesting when I was 19, but as each year passed, I became tired of his one-liners even as a young 20-something.... and I think a percentage of his fans did too.

I referenced this previously, that Roth on Rogan was 1 of the BEST interviews I ever heard from him... he seemed normal for much of it. And Rogan wasn't asking about girls, or rock guitars, or touring... he was talking about living in Japan, tattoos, hunting, dogs and stuff that Roth was very passionate about.... also it seemed like Rogan being a super wealthy and successful guy in his own right, and it's safe to say in modern times, Rogan is bigger... Roth might have realized it wasn't a rock n' roll fanboy and his shtick was not going to work.

They also hinted at the fact, that they today in the 2000's, are not close with Dave anymore, and their words were: "He changed..."

They also mentioned they knew him and the VH brothers when they were broke, living in Pasadena, driving used cars and before the first big tours... so this person goes back to their history in the mid - late 1970's.

As for the "change..." they also acknowledged, money and fame changes people, but this person has that too... so they're saying Dave changed even towards his other rich friends, band members, managers and the rest.

They did reference no wife, no kids, and seemed to dance around the subject as to whether Roth was gay or not. It seems to lean towards him being a closet fruit.

Lastly... I would imagine growing up a normal kid, then becoming one of the most famous rock singers in the world, and having tens of millions of dollars, and everything go your way non-stop for 8-10-15 years... it puts you in a place where you truly believe you're invincible... then you wake up one day with no hair, looking like someone's Grandpa and the endless pussy train stops, it's a bit of a kick in the ass.

$tEvil
Fletch
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Fletch »

I think Rich Robinson mentioned a coked up DLR ranting at them/Pete in their Behind the Music episode.

I knew a couple of folks that worked on the YFLM tour when Dave really took a nosedive in size-of-venues and they said he would fluctuate from awful to terrible but would or could immediately turn on the shtick for the right person or station or camera.

I image that was humbling going from the ALAE era to that one from someone that hadn’t had to be humble since 1978.
Busch1724
Winning Local Battle of the Bands

Post by Busch1724 »

All of this and I would imagine an endless cocaine budget really accelerated the behaviors too.
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:58 am A little Dave tidbit here...

I asked them, "Is Dave EVER normal.. is there ANY sense of a real person, who is NOT doing shtick 24/7... who is the REAL David Lee Roth?"

They told me about going to sushi on a week-night and how Dave would wear a baseball hat, over-sized worn out jeans, and baggy whacky shirts and sun-glasses, to be under the radar in public.

$tEvil
Closet fruit..... always classy.
Last edited by JackieDaytona on Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Fletch wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:06 pm I think Rich Robinson mentioned a coked up DLR ranting at them/Pete in their Behind the Music episode.

I knew a couple of folks that worked on the YFLM tour when Dave really took a nosedive in size-of-venues and they said he would fluctuate from awful to terrible but would or could immediately turn on the shtick for the right person or station or camera.

I image that was humbling going from the ALAE era to that one from someone that hadn’t had to be humble since 1978.
100%.

I remember when he got arrested for buying weed, and I mean the moment it hit the headlines it was clear it was a desperate publicity stunt.

The guy from Van Halen doesn’t know somebody? Fuck off.
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

SterileEyes1 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:25 am Very impressive to be in a room with The Black Crowes and you’re the dramatic one :D
:mrgreen:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
tym
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by tym »

Roth has a Jekyll/Hyde shit going on in a big way. Dude can be a real cunt at times. I dont think his talent justifies it, but thats me.

On the flip side, he does EMT work in some of the worst places in NYC, and pretty much no one knows who he is. I mean really, who in there right mind would think, that is David Lee Roth trying to save my life. Not sure if he still does that to this day, or just in the past??
I'm finding it difficult to masturbate to this. I'm trying, I just have so little to work with...
Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Fletch wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:06 pm I think Rich Robinson mentioned a coked up DLR ranting at them/Pete in their Behind the Music episode.

Dave’s ALAE era was a nosedive. The EEAS and even Skyscraper days were long gone.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

JackieDaytona wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:14 pm
MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:58 am A little Dave tidbit here...

$tEvil
Closet fruit..... always classy.

""""""""""""""Closet fruit..... always classy."""""""""""""""""

Let me guess, you're offended that I called him a fruit?

Get over it Karen.

$tEvil
BernieTaupson

Post by BernieTaupson »

Stop bloody quoting the entire Roth story everytime.
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:09 pm """"""""""""""Closet fruit..... always classy."""""""""""""""""

Let me guess, you're offended that I called him a fruit?

Get over it Karen.

$tEvil
I mean, there are worse slurs, but it really is kinda shitty.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

tym wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:32 pm Roth has a Jekyll/Hyde shit going on in a big way. Dude can be a real cunt at times. I dont think his talent justifies it, but thats me.

On the flip side, he does EMT work in some of the worst places in NYC, and pretty much no one knows who he is. I mean really, who in there right mind would think, that is David Lee Roth trying to save my life. Not sure if he still does that to this day, or just in the past??
No, that was before the 2007 reunion, in the early 2000s.
He wouldn't have been able to combine that with touring, recording and living in Japan for two full years (2013-14).
Not sure what he was up to or where he lived between the last VH shows in late 2015 and opening for Kiss in early 2020 though.
Z28
Headlining Clubs

Post by Z28 »

Some Eddie Anderson / Pete Angelus book would be KILLER!!!
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:58 am I referenced this previously, that Roth on Rogan was 1 of the BEST interviews I ever heard from him... he seemed normal for much of it. And Rogan wasn't asking about girls, or rock guitars, or touring... he was talking about living in Japan, tattoos, hunting, dogs and stuff that Roth was very passionate about.... also it seemed like Rogan being a super wealthy and successful guy in his own right, and it's safe to say in modern times, Rogan is bigger... Roth might have realized it wasn't a rock n' roll fanboy and his shtick was not going to work.
I haven't heard that one but I love Marc Maron WTF Pod. He did a great interview with Dave. Marc's intro summed it up perfectly. He said something like he just sat back and let Dave run through his "stream of consciousness" way of thinking.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1 ... d-lee-roth
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
thechefs2003
Forming a Band

Post by thechefs2003 »

Z28 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:14 am Some Eddie Anderson / Pete Angelus book would be KILLER!!!
Between the Roth/VH days and managing the Black Crowes - can you imagine the stories that guy has? I think he also dated Tawney Kitaen in the early days, if I remember correctly.
ColinRobinson
Taking Music Lessons

Post by ColinRobinson »

I met David Lee Roth at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says "I'm so sorry, but we'd like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we'll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you'd like while you're in town." My wife and cousin were both like "Yeah that's cool." and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand. We've been here for 15 minutes - we've just ordered. Can't we finish our meal here?"

Then out of nowhere David Lee Roth shows up next to the manager and says "Paul, these guys can finish. We'll be at the bar. I got some time."

And I (being a big DLR fan) said "Oh wow, uh... I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table."

David Lee Roth was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, David Lee Roth and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.
It looks like updog.
Z28
Headlining Clubs

Post by Z28 »

ColinRobinson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:53 am I met David Lee Roth at a restaurant once - we'd accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that).

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says "I'm so sorry, but we'd like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we'll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you'd like while you're in town." My wife and cousin were both like "Yeah that's cool." and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

"I'm sorry, I just don't understand. We've been here for 15 minutes - we've just ordered. Can't we finish our meal here?"

Then out of nowhere David Lee Roth shows up next to the manager and says "Paul, these guys can finish. We'll be at the bar. I got some time."

And I (being a big DLR fan) said "Oh wow, uh... I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table."

David Lee Roth was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, David Lee Roth and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.
Thanks for the laugh, I never imagined the end, that was a great one!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D