DEE SNIDER Says METALLICA 'No Repeat Weekend' Concept Is 'Self-Serving': 'It Only Appeals To A Small Percentage Of Fans

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

DEE SNIDER Says METALLICA 'No Repeat Weekend' Concept Is 'Self-Serving': 'It Only Appeals To A Small Percentage Of Fans

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

Dee regularly going after whoever he can, that is up the ladder...

Is he chasing clout this hard? To sell books... Hmmm

-------------------

DEE SNIDER Says METALLICA's 'No Repeat Weekend' Concept Is 'Self-Serving': 'It Only Appeals To A Small Percentage Of The Crowd'

During an appearance on the latest episode of the KISS podcast "Shout It Out Loudcast", TWISTED SISTER frontman Dee Snider was asked for his opinion on METALLICA's decision to present a "No Repeat Weekend" at each stop on the band's ongoing "M72" world tour, with the San Francisco Bay Area metal legends playing two shows in each city with completely different setlists. He responded (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "Well, I wasn't aware they were doing that, and credit to them, but I think it's kind of self-serving. And it really only appeals to a small percentage of the crowd. The majority of the people going to these shows — and not just [people who are going to see] METALLICA; [this also applies to bands like] KISS and TWISTED — they're there for the hits. The percentage of people who know the deeper cuts and are willing to accept not hearing 'Enter Sandman' one night, that's a very small bunch of people.

"When TWISTED first reunited, it was for that New York Steel show [in 2001] Eddie Trunk put on, and the [other] guys made the setlist and they wanted to put some deep cuts; they put some stuff from the bar days in there. And it was the first show back together and I didn't wanna make any waves. And I remember we played those songs and it was just dead and just about eight hands [raised in the air], like you could count the hands. 'They're playing 'Come Back',' which was never on an album; it was one of our big club songs. 'Yeah.' And after that, the guys said, 'All right. No more putting that stuff in the show,' because it's really self-serving; it caters to a very small part of the audience. Unless you're buying both — and that's maybe the idea… You know, shake 'em down, get 'em to buy both tickets so they're hearing every song 'cause they're diehards. But METALLICA's audience has grown so far beyond just hardcore fans. They have hits. And then I harken back to when IRON MAIDEN toured. Remember they played the entire new album; they refused to play any of their hits. Audience was furious. Bruce [Dickinson] was yelling at the crowd because they weren't getting into it. It was self-serving to do that. And the next year they came back, and it was the biggest hits only, 'cause they had to make up for that."

Snider went on to admit that he is personally "guilty" of "playing the same set over and over and over," telling the "Shout It Out Loudcast" hosts: "Unfortunately, you guys, and I'm pointing to you two, and people like you are the minority; they're not even close to the majority. You're 10%, 5%, 1% of the crowd who really want to hear those deep cuts and will savor it when they go into those songs.

"I'm just being honest," Dee continued. "Yes, the hardcore [fans] love to hear those extra songs, those special songs. The majority aren't hardcore, and they are filling up that arena, they're filling up that festival. They're here to hear the big songs, and that's when they light up, and you could see their reaction. I would often joke, 'Okay, we did the two big ones. You can go home now.' I would say to the crowd, 'Go home. Get an early start.' I'd tell the audience, 'You can leave now because you beat the rush at the parking lot. Now it's time for the real fans who still…' 'Cause we do 'We're Not Gonna Take It' and 'I Wanna Rock'. Like, 'We're Not Gonna Take It', we do [that as], like, seventh song in the set. And people would think… and I'd say, 'Good night,' and I'd walk off and I'd come back out. But there's people who say, 'Why aren't they saving that for, like, a third encore?' No. Let's get it over with. If that's what you're here for, I don't want you to wait and stand around board. I'd rather have you leave and make room for the other people who are really into this."

Dee also seemingly agreed with KISS frontman Paul Stanley about how "there isn't a real reward" in classic rock bands making new music, with fans preferring to hear the hits.

"I've heard Elton John talk about doing a new album," Snider said. "He was nervous about the new tour. Why? 'I have a new record. Every time I play new songs, the audience just glazes over.' Elton John! Billy Joel stopped writing new music. Why? Because people didn't care. Paul McCartney says, 'Every time I play a new song, I've gotta give 'em a little sugar. I've gotta give 'em… Like, I'll play a new song and I'll quickly play like one of the biggies.' Paul McCartney's afraid of losing the audience. It's a real thing.

"When the new music isn't selling nearly as good as your old music, you kind of say, 'Okay, we don't… This is self-serving for me to stand up here. I'm doing it for me.' So if you're gonna do it for yourself, METALLICA, you're gonna do it for yourself," Dee added. "Just own it and say, 'Hey, we write this music, we love this music, we wanna share it with you. We hope you like it too. But we're doing it for us first and foremost."

Earlier this year, prior to the launch of the "M72" tour, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told Japanese music critic and radio personality Masa Ito of TVK's "Rock City" about the prospect of playing two different sets in every city: "[It's] definitely exciting, definitely a little crazy. But it's fun spirited, of course, and a little overwhelming, to be honest with you.

"The concept was born out of a gentleman named Danny Wimmer who runs a series of festivals in America," he explained. "And I guess about four years ago now, he came to us and asked us if we would play six or eight of his festivals, and we would bookend the festival. We would play Friday and Sunday, and somebody else would play Saturday. And we would play Friday and Sunday — completely different sets — and bookend the festival. That sounded interesting, unique and crazy cool, so we said yes. And we had six, seven, maybe eight of those scheduled for 2020. Then the pandemic and lockdown came, and obviously that all went away. By the time we circled into the fall of '21, we went out and did three of those. And it was fun. We survived it. And it felt like it connected with an audience. And for us, it was an opportunity to do kind of a blank canvas experiment of just starting completely over, which is always fun and appreciated in the METALLICA camp. So when we were trying to figure out for the next record, we thought this concept of going around the world and playing two nights in every city and doing this would be fun.

"So, here we go. 'No Repeat Weekend'. We're not repeating any of the songs from one show to the other. It seems like a really good idea. It's also, obviously, gonna be a big undertaking. But I think it will be fun. I think the buzz is good.

"I'm not sure these days, to be honest with you, if everybody really understands what it is we're doing," Lars admitted. "I'm not sure we understand what it is we're doing. But I've heard myself talk about it now for a couple of weeks, and certainly everybody on our team is doing the best they can to get the message out there. It started off as one ticket for two shows, and then we let some single-day tickets be available for people that couldn't make both shows. Obviously, both shows, two shows is a big commitment for a lot of people; I understand that. So I don't know the idea that if people go to a show on one day, if they understand that there may not be certain toe-tapping favorites, as they may be called, that they will not hear. I don't know if they fully understand that concept, and I don't know if it matters. At the end of the day, it's a fun experiment, and when you've been playing for as long as we have and playing as many shows as we have, I think it's important to keep coming up with new ideas, to keep it fresh for the fans and fresh for yourselves. So hopefully this will connect. It's certainly exciting."

The "M72" tour features a bold new in-the-round stage design that relocates the famed METALLICA Snake Pit to center stage, as well as the "I Disappear" full-tour pass and the debut of discounted tickets for fans under 16 years of age.

METALLICA is visiting a total of 22 different cities around the world and playing two nights in each city.

Opening acts include FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, ICE NINE KILLS, MAMMOTH WVH, PANTERA, ARCHITECTS, GRETA VAN FLEET and VOLBEAT.

METALLICA promises fans who purchase a two-day ticket that they won't see the same song twice for a total of over 30 songs spanning the band's 40-plus-year career.

> https://blabbermouth.net/news/dee-snide ... -the-crowd

-----------------------

$tEvil
Bob Sacamano
Headlining Clubs

Re: DEE SNIDER Says METALLICA 'No Repeat Weekend' Concept Is 'Self-Serving': 'It Only Appeals To A Small Percentage Of F

Post by Bob Sacamano »

Well, Metallica has the catalog to do a “No Repeat Weekend”. Twisted Sister doesn’t.
"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas"

-- George Carlin
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: DEE SNIDER Says METALLICA 'No Repeat Weekend' Concept Is 'Self-Serving': 'It Only Appeals To A Small Percentage Of F

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:07 am Well, Metallica has the catalog to do a “No Repeat Weekend”. Twisted Sister doesn’t.
And they've always done shit like this... not sure what cloud old man Snider thinks he's yelling at.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

I usually agree with what Dee says. Although he really should just keep his mouth shut...but he is wrong here.

Metallica is not a "singles" band. I'd bet about 95% of people who go see them own at least 4 of the 5 first albums, and know all the tunes.
eddie lee roth
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by eddie lee roth »

Dee Snider would make a great sludger.
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

Metallica is constantly on the road and need to change their setup between tours. A ”problem” Dee doesn’t have.
rockker
Doing 20 Questions with Metal Sludge

Post by rockker »

Metallica have a lot in common with Twisted Sister, Lars should get off his solid gold throne and call up Dee and get more advice from himZ
Kiss fans are like old men at the strip club. We know we're getting bilked but give 'em our money anyway. - Danko Jones
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Metallica actually has enough songs to be able to pull this off.

This loser really hasn't followed them much in the last 40 years, has he?
KISSRULES06
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by KISSRULES06 »

Dee is a cement headed dick mouth
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

I don't see anything wrong with what Dee says here, and I don't think it matters that it's the singer from Twisted Sister saying it. Just because Metallica has the catalog doesn't mean that a huge percentage of the audience doesn't want to hear "Sandman," "Fade to Black," "Puppets," "Creeping Death," or whatever. No matter what they play, people are going to be disappointed because they don't get to hear some of the really well known songs and are instead hearing album tracks. It's exactly as Dee says. The hardcore fans may love it, but the average fan will probably be bored.
That said, it's just one tour and people have had ample time to go see them, and if all they want is "Sandman" and "Nothing Else Matters," they can hit up the next one.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

You guys get SO MAD when somebody else has a different opinion. And yes, Dee is wrong here, but who cares?

Metallica had some stale setlists going for a while there... ("Bell Tolls" second, "Sandman" last). So this is actually refreshing for them.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Resident MAGAt edgelord contrarian is butthurt
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

Dude just defines blowhard.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

He was asked for his opinion. He gave it. It's not like he took to Twitter to decry anything.
Rooster wrote: I hunt with a handgun.
pieceofme wrote: Yeah, Mojo is a lot of peoples favourite!
keyofgee wrote: I am a free thinker
Image Image
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

…very possible to give an opinion when asked without being a blowhard.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
LAglamrocker

Post by LAglamrocker »

Dee doesn’t get it fans want
No repeat Widowmaker weekend in stadiums
Jani Lane and Bret Michaels should form a band called "Nelson II"
aerozeppelin
Recording Your Demo

Post by aerozeppelin »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:32 am You guys get SO MAD when somebody else has a different opinion. And yes, Dee is wrong here, but who cares?

Metallica had some stale setlists going for a while there... ("Bell Tolls" second, "Sandman" last). So this is actually refreshing for them.
I mean, this is a message board and people are also sharing their opinions? We've seen plenty of threads where you hotly debate what others believe on a given matter, so you aren't exactly Mr. Calm and Collected around here. When has this place ever not been about latching onto what aging rock stars have to say and clowning on them?
Wednesday 13 Fan

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:32 am You guys get SO MAD when somebody else has a different opinion. And yes, Dee is wrong here, but who cares?

Do you even think about what you type? 🤣
Wednesday 13 Fan

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:05 am Resident MAGAt edgelord contrarian is butthurt
Depends on what sentence you read in that last one. 🤣
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:43 pm
Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:05 am Resident MAGAt edgelord contrarian is butthurt
Depends on what sentence you read in that last one. 🤣
Right... he actually ended up agreeing with the prevailing opinion, but not without whinging 1st.
Gibsonite
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Gibsonite »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:31 am
Bob Sacamano wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:07 am Well, Metallica has the catalog to do a “No Repeat Weekend”. Twisted Sister doesn’t.
And they've always done shit like this... not sure what cloud old man Snider thinks he's yelling at.
Twisted Sister's greatest hits record could fit on a 45..
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Dee Snider is a dumb
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Dee Snider is a dumb
HueyRamone

Post by HueyRamone »

I thought Metallica had a deep enough catalog to do this, but my friend went last weekend and said they play 4 from the latest album each night, and fuel and a saint anger song, and only 2 for Justice, so sounds like there’s a bunch of nonsense to have to sit through with them doing this.
Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Cant stand Dee. No one wants to hear his music, so he spends all his time complaining about other artists and their success.

Oh wait, am I talking about Dee or the Metal Sludge forum. :lol:
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

Wednesday 13 Fan wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:42 pm

Do you even think about what you type? 🤣

You love my posts. Come fuck me, you little twink.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by EatNails »

Most Metallica songs run the length of Twister Sisters entire Greatest Hits.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

LAglamrocker post :D wrote:Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:29 am Dee doesn’t get it fans want
No repeat Widowmaker weekend in stadiums
:D :D :D
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

eddie lee roth wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:37 am Dee Snider would make a great sludger.

haha he might be on here.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

What I do find to be the most amusing about Dee and his delusional history. Is the bands he so easily lumps Twisted Sister in with . Kiss, Iron Maiden,Metallica,Aerosmith,Def Leppard and Motley Crüe are stadium level acts. Twisted Sister is a glorified bar band. If Dee compared his band to Winger ,Anthrax or even Gwar I could see the comparison.