New Marvelous 3 song- If We’re On Fire Let It Burn

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

New Marvelous 3 song- If We’re On Fire Let It Burn

Post by roxxxtar »

VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Re: New Marvelous 3 song- If We’re On Fire Let It Burn

Post by VinceVanLane »

Sounds like a more rocked out solo song from Butch Walker than Marvelous 3, but also it's been 23 years since the last Marvelous 3 record. It's unrealistic to think they'd still sound like that. I like it but I'm not blown away by it either. Maybe it's a grower. Some of the song titles are "My Old School Metal Heart," "Growing All My Hair Out," "PTSD (Post Touring Singer's Depression)," and "Kill A Motherfucker That Breaks Your Heart," and those titles sound like Steel Panther songs.
BulletProofPoet
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by BulletProofPoet »

Only 10 songs is disappointing. The Jackie and Tina song was previewed on one of his pages before the last record. Seemed catchy but was very much a Butch solo song. First song seems ok on second listen but more Butch solo than Marv 3.
JackieDaytona
Buying Cool Stage Clothes

Post by JackieDaytona »

What's my opinion? Glad you asked! It sounds safe. Like a bunch of guys who used to rock and think they can still rock but they really can't rock. There's been a lot of great music that's come out this year from older bands, so I feel the bar is really high and this just doesn't meet the bar. It's just "fine." The new Rolling Stone song by a bunch of 80 year olds has more attitude and swag.
Lover, fighter, songbird, regular human bartender, friend.
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

If this was the direction of a Butch solo album I would be ok with it but as new M3 it's pretty lackluster. It doesn't really have any balls songwriting or production wise.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

Sort of sounds like a more rocking Butch solo song, that he asked the M3 guys to play on.
BulletProofPoet

Post by BulletProofPoet »

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It also is starting to sound more like the Marvelous 3.
nuno_cherone
Playing Frat Parties

Post by nuno_cherone »

I’m a M3 nutswinger and I think it’s just OK. I’m not a huge fan of his solo stuff after Letters. I do like this song more than the post Letters stuff but that’s not saying much. I’m hoping it grows on me.
"Nothing's perfect except God and a California sunset."
Fat_Elvis
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Fat_Elvis »

Why are pretending Marvelous 3 wasn't basically a Butch solo project?
Nate S Axel

Post by Nate S Axel »

I was pleased. Not going to buy it or add it to my phone, but at least it's not a shitty ballad.
https://www.last.fm/user/SundownDevil
LAglamrocker wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:45 am I can’t believe people actually don’t live in So Cal/ San Diego/Vegas circle ..waste of life
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

"We let the bodies hit the floor like a metal band,
A drowning pool made of quicksand."

Very random and dated Drowning Pool reference in the 1st verse. Kind of weird to force that in there. There's also a Panic At The Disco reference in the 2nd verse. Sounds like something off of "The Rise And Fall Of Butch Walker." I'm not offended by it but it didn't live up to my expectations.
roxxtar5150
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by roxxtar5150 »

nuno_cherone wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:23 am I’m a M3 nutswinger and I think it’s just OK. I’m not a huge fan of his solo stuff after Letters. I do like this song more than the post Letters stuff but that’s not saying much. I’m hoping it grows on me.
Everything here sums up how I feel about it perfectly.
It's not that I'm lazy.....it's that I don't care.
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

Fat_Elvis wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:20 am Why are pretending Marvelous 3 wasn't basically a Butch solo project?
Well of course it was, but everything Butch has released the last 15 years is far, far, away from sounding anything like M3.
His goal seems to have been to release shitty music in that time period. Trying to sound like a neutered Springsteen or Costello or even a Mellencamp. And he failed horribly at it.
This doesn’t suck at all, but it’s just ok.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

sounds like marvelous 3 to me...slightly less energetic than it was years ago...d.m.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

diablomozart wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:59 pm sounds like marvelous 3 to me...slightly less energetic than it was years ago...d.m.
Pretty much my feelings, too.
steviedoes
Recording Debut Album

Post by steviedoes »

I've listened to it twice and my opinion is - It's good, and I'll probably like it more after more listens. I think it sounds somewhere between Hey Album and Ready Sex Go. And I think that's a good place to be. If this was a Butch solo song - you all would be saying "well, it's the best thing he's done in years". But since it's Marvelous 3, you're all "meh". Ok then. :roll:
New Fuzzruckus single "I Never Liked You The Way You Thought I Did" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkS904a ... t1cw%3D%3D
VinceVanLane
Playing Frat Parties

Post by VinceVanLane »

steviedoes wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:49 am If this was a Butch solo song - you all would be saying "well, it's the best thing he's done in years". But since it's Marvelous 3, you're all "meh". Ok then. :roll:
That's exactly what's already been written in this thread. For Metal Sludge, everybody has been pretty respectful with their reviews.

I think the best review is where somebody said it's a less energetic Marvelous 3. Maybe in the context of the entire album it will fit and make sense.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

steviedoes wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:49 am I've listened to it twice and my opinion is - It's good, and I'll probably like it more after more listens. I think it sounds somewhere between Hey Album and Ready Sex Go. And I think that's a good place to be. If this was a Butch solo song - you all would be saying "well, it's the best thing he's done in years". But since it's Marvelous 3, you're all "meh". Ok then. :roll:
I think this is funny and true. If it was a Butch solo song the thread would be "man, it sounds like he's getting back to his marvelous 3 days, love it! He should reform and do a whole album that sounds like this!!!"
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Shitty pop-punk sung by an old guy. Awesome.
diablomozart
Headlining Clubs

Post by diablomozart »

VinceVanLane wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:55 am
steviedoes wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:49 am If this was a Butch solo song - you all would be saying "well, it's the best thing he's done in years". But since it's Marvelous 3, you're all "meh". Ok then. :roll:
That's exactly what's already been written in this thread. For Metal Sludge, everybody has been pretty respectful with their reviews.

I think the best review is where somebody said it's a less energetic Marvelous 3. Maybe in the context of the entire album it will fit and make sense.
well...we were loose acquaintances back when he was in marvelous 3 (he worked at famous bargain music in sandy springs)...we were all quite a bit younger then lol...d.m.
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

I’m listening on an iPad and the bass is almost not in the mix.
Is it just my iPad speakers, or does it sound that way on a decent sound system/headphones?
As a side note….we played a couple of gigs in the late 80’s with a band named Tickled Pink.
Jace Fincher was the bass player.
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Generic. But not bad at all! Probably their best song.
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
Darrien
Headlining Clubs

Post by Darrien »

VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:51 pm I’m listening on an iPad and the bass is almost not in the mix.
Is it just my iPad speakers, or does it sound that way on a decent sound system/headphones?
The bass is quite balanced in the mix. I've never heard bass from phone/ipad speakers lol.
Dayman...fighter of the Nightman..
VinnieVincentsVag
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by VinnieVincentsVag »

Darrien wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:08 am
VinnieVincentsVag wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:51 pm I’m listening on an iPad and the bass is almost not in the mix.
The bass is quite balanced in the mix. I've never heard bass from phone/ipad speakers lol.
👍