No Phil Rudd at Power festival

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

No Phil Rudd at Power festival

Post by El Vampiro Blanco »

ACDC just released a rehearsal clip and Phil is not there. They will be using another drummer. Already forgot the name...
BDG135
Platinum Artist

Re: No Phil Rudd at Power festival

Post by BDG135 »

Where are the internet super sleuths? What's up with Phil? I'd think it would be in my feed by now.
Not everybody is on MetalShit.com and Blabberface fuckin’ dot net! Who cares? There’s such a small amount of people that do that. - Blotz
wildside1969
Opening for Slaughter

Post by wildside1969 »

BDG135 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:07 am Where are the internet super sleuths? What's up with Phil? I'd think it would be in my feed by now.
They got Matt Laug on drums. Phil probably had Visa issues, remember in 2015 he plead guilty to threatening to kill a former assistant and possession of methamphetamine and cannabis.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

wildside1969 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:41 am
BDG135 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:07 am Where are the internet super sleuths? What's up with Phil? I'd think it would be in my feed by now.
They got Matt Laug on drums. Phil probably had Visa issues, remember in 2015 he plead guilty to threatening to kill a former assistant and possession of methamphetamine and cannabis.
Yes, but he was able to get into Canada to record the album and by all accounts Canada is more strict than the US with visas.
Dyslexicheart
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Dyslexicheart »

No Malcolm, no Phil, not AC/DC
Ziggy Sawdust
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Heard they were getting Simon Wright who lives in the area, but then something went wrong. Probably don’t forgive him for selling bands t shirts back in the 80’s. Angus tends to hold a grudge or two.
Hell'sHungryChild wrote:
I have no desire to pay $150 to see an ant sized Ac/Dc and drink $12 beer cups.
Lobo
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Lobo »

Maybe Rudd just doesn't feel like rehearsing with the band for weeks just to play one gig.

ACDC doesn't have anything else going on other than the one Power Trip show.

Maybe he felt it wasn't worth it to go through all that hassle just to play one show. He seems to be that kind of guy to me.

Spending a month or two in Canada to record an album is entirely different than spending a few weeks rehearsing only to fly to the other side of the planet to play a single show.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's out of the band for good. But Rudd just seems to be the type of dude to say "to hell with that, get someone else!".
Anthrax442
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by Anthrax442 »

Lobo wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:35 pm Maybe Rudd just doesn't feel like rehearsing with the band for weeks just to play one gig.

Maybe he felt it wasn't worth it to go through all that hassle just to play one show. He seems to be that kind of guy to me.

Spending a month or two in Canada to record an album is entirely different than spending a few weeks rehearsing only to fly to the other side of the planet to play a single show.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's out of the band for good. But Rudd just seems to be the type of dude to say "to hell with that, get someone else!".
The only odd thing is that Phil was specifically brought back to keep Cliff Williams from retiring, because he was tired of the revolving door of replacement players. But maybe since it's just one gig and Brian is back as well, he's okay with it.

I feel a little bad for Chris Slade, though, I know some people don't like his playing, but it's clear he wasn't wanted back.
MurrayFiend wrote:Shit, deathcurse, you sure know how to make an exit.
SterileEyes1
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by SterileEyes1 »

What a dick move. The thing in 2016, middle of a tour, emergency circumstances, fair enough. That was well-handled.

In this case, I’m guessing there are more than a few AC/DC fans around the world who bought tickets to this and made travel plans thinking they were getting the classic lineup (sans Mal) one last time, and it seems the band knew all along Phil wouldn’t be involved. Then they let the news out at the 11th hour all passive-aggressive like this.

Most won’t care, but the people who will care got pretty royally screwed over, and it was likely on purpose.
My Video Covers: https://www.youtube.com/@therealjeffstein/

"Diary Of A Madman"
"Aja"
"Atlas, Rise!"
“Sludge Factory”
"Locomotive"

My Original Music: https://jeffstein.bandcamp.com
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Anthrax442 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:59 pm
I feel a little bad for Chris Slade, though, I know some people don't like his playing, but it's clear he wasn't wanted back.
Sure, but Slade did get to enjoy a world-tour reunion with the band. And he's 76 years old - I know they're all old, but it's pretty common to go younger when it comes to the drummer.
Ralph2
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by Ralph2 »

Phil was 100% and bring in someone last minute means something heavy went down.

If you're in ACDC, they have a legal team out the wazoo, so any travel issues can be taken care of easily.

Additionally, this gig has been booked for months, so to drop him 30 days out is really lame.

No offense to Chris Slade, but no one has the feel of Phil Rudd.

He's not on the edge of the beat and it always feels slow/half tempo with him.

Was thinking about going, will be a pass now.

Which brings up the real "headline" which is:

IT"S OVER (except the Stones!) for all of these bands. Completely 10000% OVER - It's become CRINGE City.

The Aero footage is completely brutal, half speed and the playing sucks. Sure, Tyler sounds great but when you get honest
It is not where it should be - not even close. They don't even look happy to be there and Joe Perry looks seriously ill.

Hard pass on the Peace Out, Kiss farewell, ....................

And let's not forget about the crowd - Walkers, fat and on oxygen.

The only danger at these gigs is a slip and fall accident or the price of beer!
FreddyFender
Headlining Clubs

Post by FreddyFender »

Ralph2 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:37 pm Phil was 100% and bring in someone last minute means something heavy went down.

If you're in ACDC, they have a legal team out the wazoo, so any travel issues can be taken care of easily.

Additionally, this gig has been booked for months, so to drop him 30 days out is really lame.

No offense to Chris Slade, but no one has the feel of Phil Rudd.

He's not on the edge of the beat and it always feels slow/half tempo with him.

Was thinking about going, will be a pass now.

Which brings up the real "headline" which is:

IT"S OVER (except the Stones!) for all of these bands. Completely 10000% OVER - It's become CRINGE City.

The Aero footage is completely brutal, half speed and the playing sucks. Sure, Tyler sounds great but when you get honest
It is not where it should be - not even close. They don't even look happy to be there and Joe Perry looks seriously ill.

Hard pass on the Peace Out, Kiss farewell, ....................

And let's not forget about the crowd - Walkers, fat and on oxygen.

Kid-Wicked
Opening for Helix

Post by Kid-Wicked »

Lobo wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:35 pm Maybe Rudd just doesn't feel like rehearsing with the band for weeks just to play one gig.

you really think they aren't going to announce more shows? you really think they would travel that whole distance for one show that isn't a global event?
if tickets go on sale monday they're sold out by tuesday.
ijwthstd
Platinum Artist

Post by ijwthstd »

Ralph2 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:37 pm

People at the Aerosmith Philly show were reporting someone fell over the railing
"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest
whiteowl yesterday
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

Dyslexicheart wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:28 pm No Malcolm, no Phil, not AC/DC

this right here.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
DemonFilth2001
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Just a drummer. And not like Peart, Zoltan, or Portnoy.

So who really gives a fuck?
KEYBOARD WARRIOR!
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Does it even matter?

How many Kisstards are buying tickets to see the fakes Ace and Peter?
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
DiamondDog
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by DiamondDog »

To the hardcores, have every album types, yeah, no Phil may = no AC/DC. To the casuals that only know the hits and have never bought an album, they don't give a shit. Give them a singer that sounds right in the funny hat and a guitarist dressed like a schoolboy and they're happy.
skunklovestiger wrote:Beeing funny is ok, beeing stupid is not !!
GreatWhiteSnake
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by GreatWhiteSnake »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:32 am Just a drummer. And not like Zoltan.

GWS video of the week Seven Seconds of Shred https://youtu.be/6DAqH3eKqEM?si=N2I9eU92_ovsb69d updated 3/9/24
https://soundcloud.com/crunch-104998557
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

whiteowl yesterday wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:17 am
Dyslexicheart wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:28 pm No Malcolm, no Phil, not AC/DC

this right here.
Where were you guys when they got rid of Dave and Mark Evans?
gtrjay

Post by gtrjay »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:24 am ACDC just released a rehearsal clip and Phil is not there. They will be using another drummer. Already forgot the name...
Blotzer ? :lol:
I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. These two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin - Modern Philosopher
GoodJudge
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by GoodJudge »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:14 am Does it even matter?

More like: how many kisstards even know or care there's a fake Ace and Peter?
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

GoodJudge wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am
TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:14 am Does it even matter?

More like: how many kisstards even know or care there's a fake Ace and Peter?
Good point. My original post sucks . . . not at all what I meant to say.

I humbly crawl . . .
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

I saw AC/DC in '91 with Chris Slade drumming and they were still great. I prefer Phil's drumming and considering he was back for the last album I kind of thought he'd be here for this show. I wouldn't discount visa issues. (Canada is tough on DUI convictions, but not so much on drug possession, so maybe this is more of an issue for the United States?) Could be a health issue or maybe he's back to some of his old habits? Or, maybe Phil just doesn't feel like doing it?

Regardless, if they end up doing more dates next year and there is something within a five or six hour drive of my place, I'd like to see AC/DC one last time.
WOLF
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by WOLF »

DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:32 am Just a drummer. And not like Peart, Zoltan, or Portnoy.

Zoltan Chaney? A circus clown who doesn’t play a song the same way twice because he’s busy doing tricks… being compared to Peart and Portnoy… that’s a joke, right?
The Stench
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by The Stench »

WOLF wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:00 am
DemonFilth2001 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:32 am Just a drummer. And not like Peart, Zoltan, or Portnoy.

Zoltan Chaney? A circus clown who doesn’t play a song the same way twice because he’s busy doing tricks… being compared to Peart and Portnoy… that’s a joke, right?
In all fairness, Zoltan's drumming is a lot better than Peart's nowadays.
El Vampiro Blanco
Headlining Clubs

CrankerBait wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 am I wouldn't discount visa issues. (Canada is tough on DUI convictions, but not so much on drug possession, so maybe this is more of an issue for the United States?
It wasn't just some drug possession, he put out a hit for murder for chrissake and Canada still let him in to record the album....

Saw a funny description of Rudd by a AC/DC member the other day: Rudd is one of the few people on earth who has more helicopters than teeth!
CrankerBait
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by CrankerBait »

El Vampiro Blanco wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:45 am
CrankerBait wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:44 am I wouldn't discount visa issues. (Canada is tough on DUI convictions, but not so much on drug possession, so maybe this is more of an issue for the United States?
It wasn't just some drug possession, he put out a hit for murder for chrissake and Canada still let him in to record the album....

Saw a funny description of Rudd by a AC/DC member the other day: Rudd is one of the few people on earth who has more helicopters than teeth!
I know about the charges, but the more serious, violent ones were dropped while he agreed to plead guilty to the possession ones. Those alone might not be enough to keep him out of Canada, whereas just admitting past marijuana use has gotten some people turned around when trying to enter America. Whether or not he had to apply for a Canadian special entry permit with conditions, I don't know, but that's one way some people can get around convictions that would otherwise deny them entry.

That's a great quote about Phil's teeth and helicopters. Amazing how he always seemed able to keep a cigarette going while playing the drums with so few teeth to help him along.
Ralph2
Learning KISS Riffs

Post by Ralph2 »

He's cool in Canada - They had him there to record after SHTfan. All good on that front.

Not sure what the reason is.

I highly doubt it is legal.
chungasrevenge
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by chungasrevenge »

He's almost 70 and his body is probably ravaged at this point. All of these bands are hanging on by a thread from night to night. I'm wondering how Brian at age 75 is going to make it through the show.