SHOUT AT THE DEVIL released 40 years ago today!!!

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

dmbrocker
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

SHOUT AT THE DEVIL released 40 years ago today!!!

Post by dmbrocker »

An absolute classic. Can’t believe it’s already been that long. So where does this one rank for you, Sludgers?
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
pieceofme

Re: SHOUT AT THE DEVIL released 40 years ago today!!!

Post by pieceofme »

dmbrocker wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:41 am An absolute classic. Can’t believe it’s already been that long. So where does this one rank for you, Sludgers?
Great album. And their best album. So number 1 for Crue albums.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
Wednesday 13 Fan
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by Wednesday 13 Fan »

Wildly overrated, but very good.
whiteowl yesterday

Post by whiteowl yesterday »

my first hard rock cassette as a teenager.
love it good album.
still have my cassette.
"artist formerly known as midnighttoker"
Mister Freeze
Platinum Artist

Post by Mister Freeze »

I was introduced to Motley Crue in middle school when a friend gave me a tape with Shout on one side and Theater on the other side.

Believe it or not, I liked them both equally at the time.
skunklovestiger wrote: A comment like this needs a really useless piece of shit. Well maybe you are used to get fucked by your mother in the basement. It would be better if somebody just kills you useless asshole. Just killl yourself shithead.
pieceofme

Post by pieceofme »

Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:00 am I was introduced to Motley Crue in middle school when a friend gave me a tape with Shout on one side and Theater on the other side.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard Theatre after reading all the bad reviews over the years. I don't think it is that much of a step down from Shout. If Shout is a 10, then Theatre is an 8.
GrayAntiMatter wrote:EVH

Zappa is pure cult status shit. He is to music what Bruce fucking Campbell is to acting....
windycitycane
Taking Music Lessons

Post by windycitycane »

An absolute classic. 10/10
kytepunches
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by kytepunches »

It’s when they were at their best for me. A classic 10/10.
Psychobolia.com
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas
Location: Paris, France, land of sleaze and cheese, wine and whine

Post by Psychobolia.com »

I rank it numero uno among Crüe albums. Although I've never really liked Danger, it's got that depressing ascending cromatic thing going like Call of Ktulu, meh whatever, I can't bitch about that album.

The gatefold vinyl edition is fucking rad, they definitely did everything right that year. Definitely their peak, before Vince went and killed Razzle and they put a divisive album where the filler started to seep in!
Zinny
Headlining Clubs

Post by Zinny »

One of, if not THE, most important album for me when growing up. Both the music & the album cover 10/10. I don’t have to analyze the playing or the lyrics, it’s all about the feeling!
Still love everything about it!
Brainy Lane
Recording Debut Album

Post by Brainy Lane »

10/10
Probably the record that got 90% of sludgers into metal in the first place
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

pieceofme wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:09 am
Mister Freeze wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:00 am I was introduced to Motley Crue in middle school when a friend gave me a tape with Shout on one side and Theater on the other side.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard Theatre after reading all the bad reviews over the years. I don't think it is that much of a step down from Shout. If Shout is a 10, then Theatre is an 8.
Nailed it. They did some things that pissed off many fans, from the image change to releasing a cover as the first single and a ballad as the second, but the album is as good as their first two. Except for the song order. Starting with a song that sounds nothing like the band people know, followed by a silly 70s cover and a rehashed rejected demo makes no sense at all. I always thought it sounded like someone made a last minute decision to switch sides A and B, maybe because Tonight We Need a Lover would be prime PMRC material...
GoodJudge

Post by GoodJudge »

The only Crue album I own and, from what else I've heard over the years, the only one I need to own except maybe the debut. Happy birthday to a superb record.
skatexedge
Headlining Clubs

Post by skatexedge »

My fave and their best IMO! 😁
Wild Obsession
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by Wild Obsession »

Brainy Lane wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:39 pm 10/10
I agree ^ but I also think that's the same reason why SOTD is overrated/"viewed through rose colored glasses". IMO, SOTD, Theater and Girls are all pretty much on the same level.
HueyRamone
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

Post by HueyRamone »

Wild Obsession wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:23 am
I agree ^ but I also think that's the same reason why SOTD is overrated/"viewed through rose colored glasses". IMO, SOTD, Theater and Girls are all pretty much on the same level.
Why are you bringing up this?

Don't Damn Me wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:21 pm Dummy, are you aware that hydroxy-chloroqin and Ivermectin have since been proven effective?
MattleyCrue

Post by MattleyCrue »

Wish Knock ‘Em Dead, Kid and Ten Seconds and Bastard would be added to the set
LAglamrocker wrote:
Walk in Diesel store Melrose with Ashba gear commands respect, not sure you are allowed in with Walmart gear
roxxxtar
Cockblocked by Poison

Post by roxxxtar »

It’s no New Tattoo
tooth
Recording Debut Album

Post by tooth »

We knew about "Livewire" & one of my friends had the first record, so we were waiting for the second one. Still today, I'll crank the first 2 in their entirety, both are that good.
joey78
Headlining Clubs

Post by joey78 »

Wild Obsession wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:23 am
THIS.

For me , Feelgood and MC94 were the best Crüe records .
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

I didn't think too much about it at the time but I like that they changed sound, image and even logo with each record.

I think Shout was their most metal album both song wise and image wise. The bands at the time were WASP, Dokken, Ratt, Motley... it was pre-"hair band" 80's rock.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Seminal album for the genre.

Anyone who says the albums after are better/just as good came to the party well after the fact
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

DangerZone wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:38 am Seminal album for the genre.

Anyone who says the albums after are better/just as good came to the party well after the fact
That's what I was getting at. I caught onto the band during Girls Girls Girls... still, pre-Dr. Feelgood at least.

But going back to the early 80's, my friends older brothers were all into Metallica, Anthrax and Motley and Ratt. That changed with Dr. Feelgood when it was more like Motley and Warrant and Poison. That's my recollection of it at least.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
TravisBicklesMohawk
Headlining a Theater Tour

Post by TravisBicklesMohawk »

Love it!!!

Nothing reps the 80s more than this record.
The Tao of Pooh
Image Image
DwightFry
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by DwightFry »

TravisBicklesMohawk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:55 am Love it!!!

Nothing reps the 80s more than this record.
I'd accept 'reps the early 80's'. Appetite owns the tail end.
Ryan81
Headlining Clubs

Post by Ryan81 »

Shout was the perfect album for Motley Crue and they released it at the perfect time. Really if you think about it The Crue managed the 80's nearly flawlessly with the albums they released and the styles of music that were on them at those particular times. They also knew what the perfect image was for the time periods those albums were released.

They sure fucked up the 90's though. If they had it to do over again knowing what they know now I have to imagine that they would've kept Vince. Even though Grunge was on top at the time I think Motley Crue could've been one of the few bands to weather the storm alright. Even though Grunge was pretty much the antithesis of everything The Crue were about. Like Metallica and Aerosmith and Van Halen they would've been alright (although not as alright as Metallica). Songs like Primal Scream showed a lot of promise at the beginning of that shitty decade.
toofastone
Lugging equipment around in parent's car

Post by toofastone »

I was a kid when this came out. Listening to it changed my life. Listening to "In the beginning" and then "Shout" made me rewind and play over and over until I was ready to go forward.

I discovered Motley Crue before I discovered music videos. It was unlike anything I had ever heard before. Not long after Theatre of Pain came out. I immediately hated "the ballad" which would eventually become one of my all time favorite songs. Not long after that, I discovered Too Fast For Love.

Shout at the Devil made me become a hard rock music fan. I wanted to know more these 4 road warriors whose images were on the cover of my cassette. Discovering MTV proved that those guys were modern day bad asses.

I didn't question how they went from road warriors into the California cool characters. Changing the image and logo was genius as bands who followed started wearing similar outfits to what Motley had worn to promote SATD. What a great time to discover the music that changed my life forever.
Lets Rock
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by daveg »

toofastone wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:47 am I was a kid when this came out. Listening to it changed my life. Listening to "In the beginning" and then "Shout" made me rewind and play over and over until I was ready to go forward.

Off topic, but that's exactly what I did listening to the intro and then Fight Fire with Fire. Like nothing I had ever heard

As for Shout, is a top ten Hair Metal album for sure
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Ryan81 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:25 am
They sure fucked up the 90's though. If they had it to do over again knowing what they know now I have to imagine that they would've kept Vince. Even though Grunge was on top at the time I think Motley Crue could've been one of the few bands to weather the storm alright. Even though Grunge was pretty much the antithesis of everything The Crue were about. Like Metallica and Aerosmith and Van Halen they would've been alright
This, they did everything right in the 80s and everything wrong in the 90s. Going for a harder sound and tougher image, deeper lyrics and a new frontman was a recipe for career suicide from 1992 and on. If anything, the 80s bands that were successful went for a softer sound and more focus on the ballads. Could add Leppard and Scorpions to the list.
mullet_head
Headlining Clubs

Post by mullet_head »

Shout is definitely the best Crue album, which isn't saying much. It's alright, I guess. I find them extremely overrated.

Ryan81 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:25 am Songs like Primal Scream showed a lot of promise at the beginning of that shitty decade.
You didn't like the 90s? It was the best decade for H, hands down.

There was a lot of junk fueled music, we used to put on stuff like Alice in Chains or Nirvana's Unplugged before shooting up. Even bands like K's Choice made me go ''there's no way these guys haven't chased the dragon at least a few times''.