BLOW … Don Dokken on his classic era band members: “George, Jeff and Mick were Coked up out of Their Minds”

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

BLOW … Don Dokken on his classic era band members: “George, Jeff and Mick were Coked up out of Their Minds”

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

BLOW …
Don Dokken on his band members back in the day: “George Lynch, Jeff Pilson and Mick Brown were Coked up out of Their Minds”
#dondokken #dokken #georgelynch #jeffpilson #mickbrown #toothandnail #aloneagain #dreamwarriors #mrscary #coke #cocaine #blow #monstersofrock #sludge #metalsludge
https://metalsludge.tv/blow-don-dokken- ... eir-minds/

$ludge
skinni
Having Slaughter Open for You

Re: BLOW … Don Dokken on his classic era band members: “George, Jeff and Mick were Coked up out of Their Minds”

Post by skinni »

Great interview! I had no idea that the rest of the band were junkies....
Tommy2Tone84
Signed to a Major Label Multi-Album Deal

Re: BLOW … Don Dokken on his classic era band members: “George, Jeff and Mick were Coked up out of Their Minds”

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

Don was all in it too.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:46 pm Don was all in it too.
how you know?
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by Bono Nettencourt »

Bands were doing coke in the 80s?

ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Don always talks about Alone Again & how the record company wanted the big ballad.
Is this just revisionist history as the album was released in 84, what ballads were hits that made labels "need them"
Alone Again was one of the first ballads "hits" as it was a full year before Home Sweet Home, which many consider to be the song that started the ballad hit era.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

Yeah sounds like an embellishment of the old "the A&R man said 'I don't hear a single'" story, spun to make his B-band sound more A-level.
ijwthstd wrote: obviously you take this way too seriously and were deeply affected by what transpired in the early 1990's and hopefully you are discussing these issues with a therapist in addition to other fans on music message boards.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

greengoblinrulz wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:32 pm Don always talks about Alone Again & how the record company wanted the big ballad.
Is this just revisionist history as the album was released in 84, what ballads were hits that made labels "need them"
Alone Again was one of the first ballads "hits" as it was a full year before Home Sweet Home, which many consider to be the song that started the ballad hit era.
Well, it seems he’d be more inclined to take credit for the trend rather than blame it on the suits
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

DangerZone wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:46 pm
greengoblinrulz wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:32 pm Don always talks about Alone Again & how the record company wanted the big ballad.
Well, it seems he’d be more inclined to take credit for the trend rather than blame it on the suits
Considering most of the hair bands were able to cross over to the Hot 100 and get the biggest portion of their 15 minutes by putting out a ballad, I'm not surprised.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Most bands had at least one good ballad, hit or not.

Alone Again fucking sucks.
Old_Man_Dokken
Pimping Your Demo At Shows

Post by Old_Man_Dokken »

I need to see a breakdown of how much they were consuming when they were making albums. For their hit songs did they consume more or less than average?
HottKarl777
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by HottKarl777 »

Old_Man_Dokken wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:16 pm I need to see a breakdown of how much they were consuming when they were making albums. For their hit songs did they consume more or less than average?

George boofed a gram for the Mr. Scary overdubs alone.
Neil Diamond Dave
Blowing Advance from Record Label

Post by Neil Diamond Dave »

To be fair, Scorpions, "Still Loving You", and Night Ranger's, "Sister Christian" were the huge pop ballads being blasted on MTV in '84, along with, "Alone Again". There were some precursors to, "Home Sweet Home", for sure.
Bono Nettencourt
MSX Tour Support Act

SeniorGrande wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:55 pm Most bands had at least one good ballad, hit or not.

George did good. Don... :roll:
greengoblinrulz
Headlining Clubs

Post by greengoblinrulz »

Neil Diamond Dave wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:52 pm
To be fair, Scorpions, "Still Loving You", and Night Ranger's, "Sister Christian" were the huge pop ballads being blasted on MTV in '84, along with, "Alone Again". There were some precursors to, "Home Sweet Home", for sure.
Christian was released March 84 (album Oct 83) so that predated Dokken & Love at Fist Sting was released March 84 & Dokken in Sept of that year
The Stench
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by The Stench »

I would think that Foreigner, Styx and REO Speedwagon having ballads become big even before that set the ball in motion. Exposes bands to more markets and sells more records.
dmbrocker
Location: Rockin’ with Amber, Bradie, Laurine, Dokken, Ratt, Motley, Aerosmith, Rush, Poison…

Post by dmbrocker »

The Stench wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:47 pm
I would think that Foreigner, Styx and REO Speedwagon having ballads become big even before that set the ball in motion. Exposes bands to more markets and sells more records.
And, of course, it all began with "Dream On" being the first real hard rock ballad. And everyone knows Aero were the kings of hard rock balladry: "Dream On", "You See Me Crying", "Angel", "What It Takes", "Amazing", "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing", etc.
LAglamrocker wrote: Trixter is awesome but everyone has seen After The Rain video correct? That’s one of first things I’m going thank God for
SeniorGrande
Playing Second Stage at SludgeFest

Post by SeniorGrande »

Bono Nettencourt wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:11 pm
SeniorGrande wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:55 pm Most bands had at least one good ballad, hit or not.

George did good. Don... :roll:
I think I've said this before, but Don's voice is so pussy that he makes Mike Tramp sound Like Chris Barnes.
aznsquirt

Post by aznsquirt »

one difference in his story here with alone again is that the story i'd heard (from him) ages ago was that alone again was written yearssss before when he was like 18 or something, and was laying in a box of old tapes that he gave to the producer to look through. The producer found it and said "this is a hit!" or whatever and they recorded it. Pretty different than the story in this article.
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Fuck I love how the one guy in every band who didn't do drugs always thinks that the other 75% of the band were the problem :lol:

IMHO, it's that one guy with the stick up his ass who fucks things up for everybody.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Frigo Fantom
Opening for Slaughter

Post by Frigo Fantom »

The ballad he references is Vandenberg’s Burning Heart. George pretty much lifted the riff and the solo to make Alone Again.
EatNails
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by EatNails »

Don then recalls the Monsters of Rock Tour from 1988 and says; “George would go into the solo, and the cameras would swing over, and there is no George on stage… I am looking around, where the hell is George? I mean, I hear him playing, but he’s not on stage. Because he would walk behind his Marshall’s (amplifier cabinets) and his roadie was giving him lines of coke. That drove me crazy.”
That's my main memory of the Monsters of Rock. No one could match Metallica obviously, but I thought Dokken just killed it. Except for the encore. Everyone was on stage except Lynch, who we could hear. Don looked just furious. Lynch finished the show on stage, but there was definitely that weird moment. You knew the end was near.
Grendel wrote: Skip work tomorrow and smoke some meth...this thread is THAT epic.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

Frigo Fantom wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:43 pm The ballad he references is Vandenberg’s Burning Heart. George pretty much lifted the riff and the solo to make Alone Again.
That Vandenberg song sounds more like ‘the beginning’ by ELP
Sleek
Playing a Package Tour in Arenas

Post by Sleek »

Nahhh...it is 100% "Ready for love" by Bad Company.
ROADHEAD wrote:I've never tasted coffee
HueyRamone wrote:I like Radio Gaga
HueyRamone wrote:QUIT FUCKING WITH MY SETLIST, ASSWIPE!

Tommy2Tone84

Post by Tommy2Tone84 »

It’s not so much revisionist as it’s Don lying. He’s always lied.

Alone Again wasn’t a big hit at all that I remember. I remember Lep's Too Late For Love and BOTHB more than I remember Alone Again. I remember Journey’s ballads more than I do Dokken’s entire career pre ULAK.

Dokken were nothing but a charity case. Don was like 37 and George was 34 when T&N came out. Old folks home week.
Love_Industry

Post by Love_Industry »

Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:39 am
Dokken were nothing but a charity case. Don was like 37 and George was 34 when T&N came out. Old folks home week.
You prob exaggerated for effect but they were 30-31 in 1984. Not even the oldest successful hair band guys. Alec Jon Such, Mick Mars, Rudy Sarzo and Tico Torres are older than anyone in Dokken. And one member of Vixen was the same age as DD.. but their album came out in 1988.
Cindy Buzzedimisa

Post by Cindy Buzzedimisa »

DangerZone wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:22 pm
Tommy2Tone84 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:46 pm Don was all in it too.
how you know?
I'm not buying Don only did coke once in his life either. He's obviously pissed about losing that lawsuit and will slam his former band mates every chance he gets. If I were them I'd be worried he's going to tell all their embarrassing secrets. And make some shit up.
DangerZone
Debut Album Goes Gold

Post by DangerZone »

wrote: Dokken were nothing but a charity case.
did you buy them something to eat?