RATE A SHOW 1-10 ... TUFF Live at "The Ranch Bowl" Omaha, Nebraska December 3rd 1991

The one that started it all. Spreading gossip and insults since 1998.

Moderator: Metal Sludge

MetalSludgeCEO
Playing First Stage at SludgeFest

RATE A SHOW 1-10 ... TUFF Live at "The Ranch Bowl" Omaha, Nebraska December 3rd 1991

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

This was one of the last ever shows the classic lineup did...

It was the final week of our "What Comes Around Goes Around" 1991 Tour...

Chase quit a few weeks later after we finished a long year of recording, touring, etc...

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbxrpGvr9I

$tEvil
daveg
MSX Tour Support Act

Re: RATE A SHOW 1-10 ... TUFF Live at "The Ranch Bowl" Omaha, Nebraska December 3rd 1991

Post by daveg »

Crowd looks/acts like they showed up for the wrong show :shock:

Cool video for the time....Looks and sounds great. Lot of hair swinging around up there.

I know it's been said a million times, but so much heavier live, and I would have given Tuff a chance had I known this back then. All I knew were the pics and the ballad. It wasn't until last year sometime, when I actually checked out a live vid that CEO posted (might have been the ice cube show). Got me to listen to the album, and I really enjoy it now.
MetalSludgeCEO

Re: RATE A SHOW 1-10 ... TUFF Live at "The Ranch Bowl" Omaha, Nebraska December 3rd 1991

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

daveg wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:27 am Crowd looks/acts like they showed up for the wrong show :shock:

Cool video for the time....Looks and sounds great. Lot of hair swinging around up there.

I know it's been said a million times, but so much heavier live, and I would have given Tuff a chance had I known this back then. All I knew were the pics and the ballad. It wasn't until last year sometime, when I actually checked out a live vid that CEO posted (might have been the ice cube show). Got me to listen to the album, and I really enjoy it now.

"""""""""""""""much heavier live, and I would have given Tuff a chance had I known this back then. All I knew were the pics and the ballad."""""""""""""""""

Yup... all day... every day... not only back then, but every show, every tour, every year since... oh well... all good!

Thanks for the props!

$tEvil
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

That live performance was REALLY raw sounding. You wanted want a studio record like that! I don't think so anyway...

I actually really like the production on the album. It's just glossy enough. It's not like Howard Benson turned the band into Nelson or something. He was producing a ton of new acts at the time so I'm guessing he was the best affordable choice.

I'm curious...was Michael Wagener ever a possibility? I think the sound of the 1st 2 Skid Row records would've been a perfect production for Tuff also. Raw and gritty but with a lot of room/reverb.
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
Turner Coates

Post by Turner Coates »

"Ranch Bowl" sounds like something LAglamrocker would eat before going club hopping.

"With extra avocado please."

I reckon all songs are folk songs. I ain't never heard no horses singing any.
MetalSludgeCEO

Post by MetalSludgeCEO »

DonJuanDeMarco wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:45 am That live performance was REALLY raw sounding. You wanted want a studio record like that! I don't think so anyway...

I actually really like the production on the album. It's just glossy enough. It's not like Howard Benson turned the band into Nelson or something. He was producing a ton of new acts at the time so I'm guessing he was the best affordable choice.

I'm curious...was Michael Wagener ever a possibility? I think the sound of the 1st 2 Skid Row records would've been a perfect production for Tuff also. Raw and gritty but with a lot of room/reverb.

"""""""""""""""""""""That live performance was REALLY raw sounding. You wanted want a studio record like that! I don't think so anyway..."""""""""""""""""""

Raw... the way I pounded many of the girls on that tour!

""""""""""""""""""""""I actually really like the production on the album. It's just glossy enough. It's not like Howard Benson turned the band into Nelson or something. He was producing a ton of new acts at the time so I'm guessing he was the best affordable choice."""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Well, to my recollection, we only met with 2 producers... maybe 3... I know another was George Tutko, who also came to our rehearsal.

In the back of my mind I think Ric Browde was considered too.

Our budget (deal) was for $ 75,000.00, which wasn't a ton... but more than Faster Pusscat or Poison signed for.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""I'm curious...was Michael Wagener ever a possibility? I think the sound of the 1st 2 Skid Row records would've been a perfect production for Tuff also. Raw and gritty but with a lot of room/reverb.""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Again... it's not really our choice... especially as a baby band. I can pretty much guarantee you... nobody in Skid Row told Atlantic Records, "We want Michael Wagener." It doesn't work like that... not close.

When you get signed, it's often someone in the "circle", who ends up working with your band... often related to the label's President or A&R guy who signed you, or perhaps, a friend of the Manager, who may have worked on 1 of the management's other artists, and so on.

Same applies when getting a Publishing or Merchandise advance, or going on tour.

Skid Row by being managed by Doc McGee was a HUGE feather in their hat. The guy managed a grip of the era's biggest bands, so naturally all of those relationships, come full circle, to help the baby band break... be it touring with Bon Jovi, Aerosmith and/or Motley Crue.

Same thing happens when you're signed, and now management, or the label says; "Hey, here are 2-3 guys... what do you think?"

Also... this all hinges on whether that person is even available... I mean, if Michael Wagener wanted to produce us, but at the exact time we were signed and ready to record, he was going to be doing an Accept record in Germany, or a EZO record in Japan, or locking out 3-4 months with >insert band here<, that all helps make your decision.

Dig?

$tEvil
DonJuanDeMarco
Headlining Clubs

Post by DonJuanDeMarco »

As always...thanks for the great reply, CEO! So many questions from my childhood are finally being answered! :)
"You want Don Juan DeMarco, the world's greatest lover, to talk to you? What do you know of great love?"
skinni
Playing Decent Clubs in a Bus

Post by skinni »

killer show!

thanks for the link!
TheCULTofMANSON
MSX Tour Support Act

Post by TheCULTofMANSON »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:00 am This was one of the last ever shows the classic lineup did...

Chase quit a few weeks later after we finished a long year of recording, touring, etc...

$tEvil
Sounds really good!
RockSkar wrote:
Patton could sing anything that those other singers have ever sang. But none of them could sing Patton's catalog.
Itwalksamongus wrote:
Dude - did you, like, just get ass-fucked by Patton or something? You're really off the hook here.
Luigi
Playing Shitty Clubs in a Van

Post by Luigi »

MetalSludgeCEO wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:00 am This was one of the last ever shows the classic lineup did...

$tEvil
I do not know my TUFF, but maaaan, that guitar player smokes! What is he up to these days?
I never post when I'm sober.
Black Stuff
Doing Package Tours in Theaters

Post by Black Stuff »

Good mix, lots of energy and the band was tight. 10 from me. Kickass show!
The power of Sludge compels you.